save your fears for tomorrow
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
you are such a soft and messy thing, nobody knows how to take care of you
“Resources mostly, though prejudice had its place for some time. You see, each kingdom had a material source that the others needed. Fabric, metal, glass. Things that were scarce in their own lands. And the wilds were far more inhospital - you would not survive long without joining a kingdom, and certainly not if you had more than yourself to care for.” Juniper is a smart woman, so Ru doesn’t point out that the larger a kingdom then grew, the more the pressure to invade and claim a secondary land as their own became. For space and crops alone if nothing else.

She is a little surprised by the notion of a quest, but happy to help on whatever way she can. “Of course dear, I’m happy to help. Give me but a moment.” Her ever-present dagger is unearthed, and a small lock of hair cut from the very ends. She holds it out in her palm to Juniper, smiling. “There you are. Hybrid hair. You said you need a sample from two of each race? I’d be happy to help, I know of quite a few different individuals who wouldn’t miss a little hair.”
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper nodded, a certain note of cynicism crossing her face. "And I suppose it would be too much to ask that the kingdoms merely trade among themselves to make up for any deficits in resources ..." Though in truth, Juniper didn't actually understand the concept of needing to expand because of a growing population. It wasn't a common issue in Caido, after all -- even if any of the regions had felt squished in their lands, there were plenty of wilds for everyone. Perhaps once Caido had been more widely inhabited; the ruins in the wilds would certainly seem to suggest so. But now it had its few enclaves of civilization and nothing more.

"Thank you." Juniper carefully tucked the lock of hair into one of her belt pouches. She smiled at Hotaru's offer of help. "That would be quite helpful, actually. I have ... let me see ..." Thinking back over her quest, Juniper tallied up, "Accepted are taken care of, and now I have one hybrid. I believe Nephele managed to collect some Ascended fluid as well, though we still need one more. But we also need Attuned and Abandoned donors."
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
A wry grin tilts one corner of Ru's face. "As external threats grew, alliances became more common, it's true. Such is the unifying power of a greater peril. But in the beginning, yes, it was quite rare." And admittedly Hotaru probably isn't the right person to defend the idea that humans are inherently flawed and all that. She had never been truly bothered by war and the conquering of lands, had forced enough people to their knees by her own hand to no longer care about fairness.

Though perhaps it is time - or age - that has tempered the Valkyrie, because now she leans forward with an interested ear, keen on helping the Guardian however she can. Call it paying back a debt or proving herself as an individual. Or maybe it's merely an excuse to see the Fae again, to foster this friendship she has declared an intent for. "Enzo is an Abandoned, and Deimos a hybrid. Both would be happy to help I'm sure." Enzo for no reason other than the fun of cutting his hair, Deimos with the understanding of the Greatwood's desire to defend themselves against the Ascended. "I will see how soon I can get those to you. Is the Treehouse the best place to find you?"
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper nodded thoughtfully. External threats ... She found herself almost wishing that Caido would face some existential danger that would bring the Ascended and the followers of the Old Gods together to save themselves, if that was what it took. But even if mortals banded together to face some threat, that would not resolve the gods' enmity. With a grimace, Juniper said, "I don't know if I should be grateful or not that our conflicts here seem to be mostly theological. That makes them rarer, but more difficult to resolve."

Another, more eager nod. "Yes, I was thinking of asking them as well. But if you prefer to do so, I will leave it to you. You can reach me at the Treehouse, or at my embassy in the Sea of Branches -- there is usually someone on duty even if I can't personally be there."
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru’s wry grin at Juniper’s words makes it obvious she is thinking along the same lines as the Guardian. But it’s true - even an external force would not resolve the enmity that exists between The Voice and the Old Gods. And Ru…well, the only resolution she’d seen with her own eyes had involved the death of all her gods and the destruction of her homeworld. Optimism is something she has to leave in the hands of others, because it does not exist in her heart any longer. Not for this.

“I will see what I can do to help,” she assures with a little smile. It’s not as if she doesn’t encounter so many different kinds of people in her life. Helping out the Greatwood a little in return for all they’ve done for her is a small gift. Then she changes the topic, hoping to know more of Juniper herself instead of the title she holds.

- FIN