just passing through
for Jonah
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Gideon
Imposing penance one by one
You've got a virtue in a vice
Gideon was smart enough to avoid Haulani for the forseeable future after his explosive sermon there, but the beauty of Torchline's coast still called. Heading there in the early morning, when it was unlikely he'd run into that many people, he took walks in the surf and looked out to the rising sun over the sea.

This time, the tide had been low enough to allow passage to Hale Ka'aila, a natural phenomenon he had not yet had the fortune to visit. The 'cathedral' really was exemplary, a beautiful specimen of the Gods' ability to make the materials around them into something greater than the some of their parts. Sitting within, hands together and head down, Gideon prayed - words not quite loud enough to be made out but that could be heard outside of the structure.
With all the history to guide
You've got a passion in those eyes
Jonah Clemments

Age: 38 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 0 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 9 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
Jonah
Try and fill us with your hate
and we will shine a light

There were a lot of reasons to go to Haulani, chief among them the simple truth that he hadn’t been there in a while. But it’s far from the only one. Deepfrost is coming, and Haulani boasts a warm climate even through Longnight. Theres those little fish and fruit things he likes that he can only find in the area, there’s the whorehouse, the bars, the back alleys. It’s a human place, and after so long alone, Jonah needs a human touch.

And it feels like some kind of fate, emerging out of the jungle at the perfect time to witness the crystal cathedral jutting out of wet sand. It’s lovely, in the kind of way that hooks behind his navel and draws him closer.

A reverent muttering reaches outside the walls, Jonah’s heart diving before he can catch it. He’d hoped for a moments more solitude before entering the city properly but... hey, it was a chance to get used to it again, it was a good thing!

And then he rounds the entrance and sees a person he would know anywhere, and all that optimism leaves him in an instant. He considers leaving, before he’s noticed, but... it’s been a while. “Anyone listening?” Jonah asks into the crystal room, his voice hoarse from disuse.

And the days will become endless
never, and never turn to night
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Gideon
Gideon was wrapped up enough in his prayers to not hear Jonah approach; usually he kept an ear out, especially in an area with active Ascended, but something about the crystal structure and the lapping of the waves made him feel safe enough that he didn't have to pay attention to the world outside.

So when Jonah asked his question, the Priest jumped, simply at the sound of a voice - it was when he looked up to confirm that the voice he had just heard was real that Gideon nearly choked. There was a face, older than he remembered, harder, but undeniably his brothers. The brother he had been searching for for years now, that he had assumed dead or in some Ascended brothel being used as a blood bag; there he was, alive and well enough to speak.

Not answering his question, acting on total instinct, all of the rage and panic and affection in Gideon rose up through him in one act; forcing him off of his feet and his hand out: with a mighty swing, he brought it smacking across Jonah's face. "Do you know how long I've been looking for you, asshole?"
Jonah Clemments

Age: 38 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Jonah

There is so much between them, unresolved and unsaid. It’s not as if Jonah has been going out of his way to stay scarce. It’s simply... always worked out that way. Stormbreak is so bland in comparison to the rest of Caido, so hard to wander back towards. He knows he deserves some flak for that. But he doesn’t expect the strike against his cheek, his head flying to the side and his brows knitting together in pain and insult.

Frey’s sweet taint, and that’s how you greet me?” Jonah can count on one hand the number of times he’s been struck by his brother, and just like last time he doesn’t quite think he deserves it. If there’s one thing Gideon has in heaps though, it’s passion.

Jonah sucks in a deep breath, lowering his burning gaze to the ground. “Besides, you can’t have been looking hard.

Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
There was something satisfying about the way his hand connected with Jonah's face. Partly because it confirmed that he was real, but also honestly because Gideon just really wanted to hit the fucker. For years of disappearance, for choosing anything over the Gods in the first place, for not being the little brother he'd once been anymore. "How you deserve to be greeted." He mumbled, going to sit back down (and leaving space next to him for Jonah to sit too).

As for looking very hard? For a moment Gideon's eyes turned back to Jonah red hot and bitter and it would seem as if he was about to strike again, but he just sighed and pushed a hand through his hair. "I wasn't about to go in whatever forsaken Ascended orgy house you reside in nowadays. I've looked in all the major cities and asked questions for years." Not really gotten anywhere.

"So go on then. Tell me what you've been doing since you turned from the Temple."
Jonah Clemments

Change author:
Jonah

The look on Jonah’s face speaks volumes, demands to know why Gideon would leave space for him, as if he’s just going to sit right down, an expression he maintains right up until he sits, stubbornly staring at the opening of the crystalline cavern. “Hug would’ve been nice too.” He mumbles right back, the pout on his lips partially hidden by the hand that lifts to rub at his cheek, and completely hidden by the way he shrinks from the anger he feels flash from the other.

I visited mummy dearest last uh...” Jonah tries to cover up the pause with a fabricated tickle in his throat, his eyes still not lifting to meet Gideon’s. “Recently. It’s not as if I’ve been hiding.” He manages to sound halfway insulted by the idea, somehow, a petulant hand still rubbing at his sore cheek.

The sullen pout hardens to a true frown, Jonah’s lips pursing as he considers the question.. He’d left because he’d seen nothing but bad faith from his brother, something that apparently (and unfortunately) hasn’t changed. “I’ve been travelling. Walking around the whole wide world.” He shrugs, letting his hand fall down to his lap. “Meeting people?

Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
"You'll get a hug when you deserve a hug." And as far as Gideon was concerned, that was not going to be for quite some time.

That Jonah had recently visited their mother was a surprise (though from the way Jonah said it, Gideon wondered just how recent 'recently' was). "She didn't mention anything to me. I even told her I was looking for you." Gideon replied with a frown, fixing Jonah with a flat look. It was hard to pull the emotions in his chest into any kind of unified front at the moment - he felt equal parts elated, angry, betrayed and thrilled.

He took the pause to mean that Jonah had in fact been in several Ascended orgy houses. Great. "Meeting people. Anyone good? Do you even know there's a war coming, Jonah--" Suddenly, Gideon stopped himself as he heard the words come out of his mouth and with a sigh, he pressed a hand to his lips. "...Sorry. I...I am glad to see you. Fuck, Jonah, I thought you were dead. Actually dead."
Jonah Clemments

Change author:
Jonah

When he deserves a hug, what a pot of shit. “I asked her not to tell you anything. I’m... honestly a little surprised she actually did it.” Jonah avoids the accusatory look with all the grace and skill of a master, his own gaze following some reflection prism of light as it weaved around the cavern.

Yes, meeting people. And not in whatever kind of... heralds twisted nightmare you’re imagining.” Honestly, Jonah wasn’t sure he’d even met an ascended on his travels, people in general a rarity for him. “I heard uh, some, about a war.” Now his gaze turns back to his brother, wide and expectant, though there’s a deep, unhappy twist to his lips, one that doesn’t at all soften when Gideon catches himself.

At least he is catching himself now, though Jonah can’t decide if it’s too little too late. He works his jaw, then plasters a smile on his face. “Well I’m not. I’ve never been better actually.

Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
As much as Gideon was trying to keep up his superior act, his expression did falter a little hearing that Jonah had asked their mother not to talk about him. Had things between them fallen so low that his brother didn't even want him knowing he was alive? He supposed so.

'Some' about a war. Were it not actually a desperately serious situation, Gideon would have laughed at the casual phrasing. Looking off at the horizon then back to Jonah, unsure for a moment if there was any point in delivering his speech, he ultimately decided to try and save his brother one more time. "Within the next couple of years. There will be a reckoning, and you will need to pick a side. I hope for your sake you're sensible enough to side with the Gods that made you, because the Ascended have little chance of survival." He could not, nor did he make any effort to hide the sick smirk that came across his lips.

Honestly, hearing Jonah had never been better was just salt in the wound right now. Sighing as he leaned back, pushing a hand through his hair, Gideon shook his head. "Did you ever find yourself, or whatever it was you were trying to do by running away?"
Jonah Clemments

Change author:
Jonah

Jonah brings his knees up, his arms wrapping around them and his fingers locking together. He refuses to feel guilty about disappearing, refuses to apologize for it. All the times he’s imagined this moment, he never really thought his brother would have missed him.

It’s an effort that grows far easier as Gideon starts his proselytizing. Jonah’s brows knit together in silent upset, his eyes searching his brothers face. It isn’t until he smirks that Jonah actually leans back though, the upset morphing into worry and disappointment both. “I’m not looking to die.” He replies vaguely. He wasn’t looking to kill anyone either, but something told him he didn’t want to know what Gideon’s response to that would be.

A soft sigh slips from Jonah as they shift back to a normal subject, his eyes all but rolling as he hears the judgement in the others voice. “I found lots of things. It... puts a lot into perspective, walking across Caido.” He tries and fails to keep a smile from crossing his face. “I’m not done yet. I’m not coming back just because you found me.

Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
"You will if you play around in-between the lines." Gideon informed Jonah, his voice flat and practical but his eyes staring directly ahead at the water and his fingers tapping on his knees saying something else. "The Old Gods will not hesitate to end the life of one that gives Ascendeds leniency, and the Ascended will do what they must to resist." Yes, there was a chance of death on either side, but there was also protection. A team.

With that and the insistence that he wasn't coming back...Gideon suddenly felt a heavy weight in his chest, the knowledge that his brother was an adult now and he was unlikely to change his mind. Even with the years he'd spent searching, he couldn't spend his time going after a hopeless case. Frowning, he clapped his hands on his thighs and stood, looking down to Jonah to say: "Well. You know where I am if you come to your senses, Jonah. I...I have too much to do to try and save you."

And until he was saved, there was no point in any further conversation. Gideon closed his eyes, took a breath and walked away, fighting the urge to look back.

{FIN}