a little place called trust
Isla
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

Nate quiets, his eyes growing distant as Isla grows distracted by whatever’s in his head. He wonders if he’s missing out, in some way. Wonders if he’s getting what he wanted. “I aim to please.” He mutters on reflex, the words falling flat, not that it seems like Isla is really paying enough attention to say anything about it.

Fuck, you didn’t tell me there’d be tests.” He complains, running through a table in his head before reciting it out loud, feeling more than a little childish as he goes through his Three, six, nine... all the way up to thirty-nine. A smug sound chuckles out of him, Nate only barely resisting the urge to shift to look up at Isla. “Good enough?
So unscrew my head and rinse it out
Polish my thoughts, turn into doubts
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

Isla definitely thinks Nate is missing out, the doctor barely containing her excitement as he agrees to her requests, sass or no sass. "That''s why I gave you a choice of number," she counters with a small smile, before he's going ahead with the multiplication table and gods, it's like a firework show inside his head. Different pathways of fibre optics light up as he engages with mental arithmetic and then switches to verbalisations, the illumination enough to cast Isla's face aglow.

"That's incredible," she whispers. "I wish I could show you..." She does describe it in meticulous detail for him, though, as well as asking him for a few other things - can he remember the colour of the door of the Wren Society; is he able to think about the last time he was angry, or his wedding reception with Sunjata; can he engage some of his less strenuous upgrades, and so on.

"I think I've got everything I can learn here," Isla murmurs eventually. "Is there anything else you want to know? Or want to try?" If not, she'll work on closing him up again.

Isla
the flesh is weak
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

Despite his complaining, Nate all but preens under the professional awe in Isla’s voice, the demi-god willing to do a lot more to keep being incredible. He rises to each test with gusto, offering as many of his own details as he can think to supply. Whatever might help her observations. All good things come to an end though, Isla’s murmur signalling theirs, but not before the chance of anything else is offered.

There’s a silent moment of consideration, Nate humming while he thinks. “Do you think I could,” his hand rises fingers just barely twitching, “touch it?” Without sight, it was the next best thing. A way to prove to himself, ridiculously, that it was real, as if the scars and haircut weren’t enough.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

Regardless of Nate's decision, Isla still works on getting everything together ready to close up his brain again. When he asks to touch it, whilst she can't admit to understanding the request in full, she honestly can't deny him either. "Sure," she says with a smile he'll be unable to see, "let me guide you." After sanitising his hand (just in case), Isla will guide it up and to the hole in his skull, so he might touch the membrane that protects the delicate fibre optics beneath.

"That's you," she almost whispers, sounding awed and gently shifting his fingers. "Here lights up when you do mental arithmetic. And here goes off like a firework when you think about Sunjata." She's grinning now, carefully removing her own hands to give him free rein. "Let me know when you're happy, and we'll get you all stitched up."

Isla
the flesh is weak
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

It's a bit like holding your own hand, while not being anything like that at the same time. There's a part of Nate that knows this is simply him on both sides of it, touching and being touched, and there is a louder part of him that shudders and shrinks away from being so open, from being touched. It's wrong, and the doctor can't help the breath that leaves him, greedy fingers sweeping along a part of him that doesn't even feel human. They linger in the places Isla leads them to, and once he's released Nate keeps touching a while longer, trying to record the sensation to memory. Wondering if maybe he touches whichever part of him lights up with the attempt.

As much as he might want the moment to last forever, there is a point where the protests of his systems finally scream louder than the interest he has, and Nate reluctantly lets his hand fall away again. “I’m happy.” He gestures for her to do what she needs to to put him back together, sitting still and impatiently to be done now. Despite the minute tapping of his fingers, Nate manages to play the good patient for a touch longer, waiting until Isla lets him sit up, and squinting around the room.

He might not be able to leave right away, but he can at least sit quietly in a corner of Isla’s office, letting her write her notes and occasionally asking questions as they come to him. A handful of side effects have gripped him by the time Sunjata arrives, Nate heading off any questions with a beatific smile and just the slightest daze in his eyes. Concerns can be addressed later, after they’ve gone home.

Done