finding footholds
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
Stimulation in body and soul
"Indeed. Honestly, I'm amazed that we have been left to grow and carry on as much as we have, here in the Grounds. Perhaps the Gods don't consider us enough of a threat here." And they probably weren't, in all truth. The Old Gods were likely more than content to let them sit there and play village until the time came to end their existence - the goal for his and Isla's leadership was to make it so the destruction would be harder than expected.

Pleased that she would go to the Voice in his stead and that they had future plans, he was content to let the conversation slip away from their business, even if what Isla had to tell him was not what he wanted to hear. With a heavy sigh, Bastien nodded and picked at the edge of the cloth around his shoulders. "I should have remembered. I apologise, I just - I yearn so for any news of my Rexanna or an idea of how she may be doing. I wish she could be here in my place; this sort of thing was much more her skill than mine." His wife had been a born leader, a diplomat and quick thinking strategist. In comparison, he felt like someone trying to badly play her part.
For the good and misguided
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
ISLA

"I imagine the Voice probably has something to do with that in recent times," Isla admits with a small smile; she can be nothing but grateful for their goddess for that. "And before then, I suppose they never expected us to become a problem. Not that I believe we are, but it can be difficult for people to reconcile us with the likes of the Old Gods."

Her smile turns more warm and less businesslike as they move onto matters less political, and Isla shakes her head to Bastien. "No need to apologise," she assures him, before her brow furrows and she shifts to sit up a bit in her seat, tilting her head at him. "I wonder if the Voice might be able to help you to feel closer to her, even if you can't see her again," she says softly. "...But for what it's worth, I don't think you're being fair to yourself. Not all leadership styles are made equal, and I think we're doing a decent job."
she's a runner
rebel, and a stunner
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
"Mm. One can only hope she'll be as successful when things get worse." While Bastien wanted to have absolute faith in their Goddess, he wasn't sure if he could believe that she was strong enough to stand up against all three heralds and the Gods stronger than them too. Would Caido, the God, get involved? If that was the case, he didn't see how they could win.

This sort of pessimism sat oddly in his chest, ill-fitting in his usually joyous heart; he didn't like it, but reality had a habit of sneaking it's way into his life lately.

Isla's warm smile did help to put a balm on at least the part of him that was wounded by grief; he nodded and put on his own smile, but he knew he wouldn't be going to their Goddess with anything but business for quite some time. "Thank you. I...have always been good at speaking to people. Showing them their talents, guiding them...but when it comes to the tactical decisions, who to save and who not to-" Bastien raised his head and sighed, quietly admitting: "It frightens me."
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
ISLA

"I hate knowing that things will get worse, but... if war is coming then they have to, I suppose." Isla wrinkles her nose and tucks a lock of hair behind her ears. "We have some powerful warriors on our side though, and even among those who aren't comfortable fighting, there's talent," she murmurs. "I also like to think that many of those we know who find themselves on the side of the Old Gods won't be quick to cause harm... Maybe collateral damage, but not killing people. Do you know what I mean?" And gods does she hope she is right.

She recognises Bastien's smile as something painted on for a show, but sometimes that's all they can do until the clouds clear and the moonlight shines through once more. "I have had to make those decisions since I became a medic, and it still frightens me," she admits. "It doesn't ever get easier, but I take solace in knowing that at least we are making decision. When things become dangerous and people panic, they will look for someone to do that."
she's a runner
rebel, and a stunner
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Yes, though...I had a friend I thought to be true and real, but he's now in their 'Order'. When their family is threatened, their lives controlled by their Gods...do they have a choice? Even the best man can be made to do awful things in the right circumstances." Bastien sighed heavily, lifting a hand to rub at his brow; it would be wonderful to hope that they would have allies among the non-Ascended, but he'd seen those he thought righteous brought to hatred so quickly.

At the very least he wasn't alone in the fight. Isla's words comforted and reminded him that he was at least in a duo here; she was intelligent and capable and right now, the foundation he needed to pick himself up and continue on. "Mm. And perhaps, if we can allow ourselves to dream for a moment, we may one day be making much nicer decisions about what to do for our little settlement, rather than ones of war." Bastien still wanted to believe a peace was possible, though the way it would be achieved was becoming less and less clear. "Do you...believe that either side might stop before all the other is dead?"
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
ISLA

Isla's gaze darkens to hear about the Order; since her recent dealings with Remi at the very least, things were becoming more and more muddled. "You are right, of course," she says, wrinkling her nose. "Though I imagine there are those who would say the same about us. That's the problem with Caido I find. In a place where the gods are real, where you can reach out and touch deities and magic, it's difficult not to end up falling on one side of this imaginary line."

For all of their musings though, one thing at least becomes clear - they are in this together and they will be there for each other regardless of any future decisions and how difficult they are. "It would be nice, wouldn't it? To decide what we can do about the ruins, to make the streets safer and less run down." As for preventing the war, though? It doesn't make her happy, but she shakes her head. "From what they say happened at King's End, it seems inevitable... something will start it. And it doesn't take much for people to panic and fight, does it?"
she's a runner
rebel, and a stunner
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Yes...There were still wars fought for Gods in my world, but it was much easier to dismiss them or make amends when no one had ever actually spoken to the deities they fought for..." Had God actually deigned to speak to the common man in the Cathedral, Bastien wondered just how different life would have looked. He'd always been agnostic at best, but Caido had forced him into belief with it's blunt evidence and thus pushed him into the war. Would the same have happened at home?

Bastien sighed and nodded once again; he didn't know why he kept allowing himself scraps of hope. Every time it hurt when he had to dismiss and toss aside the brief flicker. "No, it does not. I suppose one of us should try and speak to everyone in town. See how they feel." Maybe he'd take on that responsibility himself; try and ascertain just how hopeless they all were.

At this point they were beginning to go around in circles; Bastien stood and ran a hand over his face. "Alright, I...should...go and somehow make a start on the tasks I have to do. If nothing else, this meeting did serve to make me feel better about my position in our duo - it is an honour to work with you, Isla." Turning on his charming smile, he held out a hand to shake hers.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
ISLA

"Well, if anyone is good at speaking to people, it's you," Isla says to Bastien with a small smile, attempting to cheer him up however she can. Rising to her feet as well, she shakes her fellow Overseer's hand and gives it a gentle squeeze. Warmth and cold they might not be able to feel all that well between them, but hopefully the pressure is enough.

"And I ought to get back to my patients at the Infirmary. You know where to find me if you need me, Bastien. Whether that is about our work together or anything else." With a soft smile and a decisive nod, Isla collects her belongings and heads back out into the street, disappearing with a soft click of her heels.

~FIN
she's a runner
rebel, and a stunner