[se] before the storm
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 51 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
NOAH

"I have to go see the queen, but we can fish first." He handed Cordelia the supplies they had brought, given to them by Deimos. While the warlord could not accompany them here, gathering food for the trio to have to survive in the wilds was necessary. Noah needed time to collect his thoughts before he saw Maeve, anyway. Even with the letter burning a hole in his pocket, and the grief slowly devouring his heart, he pressed on towards the shoreline on the east side of the lighthouse.

"Do you have much experience fishing?" Some hunters did, some did not. He could never be sure. Noah's father had not enjoyed fishing as much as he had enjoyed hunting seals, but during the seasons when seals were far and few between, Noah had learned the skills his father had. The blond had developed quite a taste for smoked fish since then, and fished for himself more than his father ever had for their family.

I wait and tell myself "life ain't chess,"
But no one comes in and yes, you're alone
Cordelia Olson
the One-Shot
Hunter

Age: 30 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Cordelia

This trip wasn't a fun one. It was one for business. Noah had to see Maeve about the letter. The letter that had his jaw tight and glacial gaze swimming with a pain that Cordelia saw plainly even without the Attuned bond giving her a peek into his emotions. "Alright. I can get some more supplies while you do that." There were plenty of things that they would need since they wouldn't be staying in Halo. Pots for storage, blankets, fishing line, dried fruits, and a number of other things. Thankfully she prepared for the need to trade and had plenty of extra leather to do so with.

Cordelia took one of the poles and the small tackle box, trailing after him closely, practically nipping at his heels as they walked towards the beaches by the cliffs. She couldn't help the sharp intake of breath as her eyes fell on the ocean, umber gaze drinking in the waves as they lapped at the shore, even the cool breeze coming off the water didn't stop her from toeing off her boots after setting her pole down. "Some... Ice fishing is different than fishing here, isn't it?" She asked, rolling up the legs of her pants and stepping forward so the water can lap at her toes, sending a delightful shiver through her.

A smile tugged on soft pink lips despite herself, eyes lighting up as she turned to look at him over her shoulder, "You should put your toes in. The water is still warm." Cordelia urged him, going so far as to extend a hand to him, inviting him to join her.
Say something, something like you love me
Less you want to move away from the noise of this place
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
NOAH

Noah set his equipment next to him and crouched to take off his shoe and roll his pants up towards his knees. Then, without hesitating, he followed Cordelia into the water. They needed to wade out a few yards to be able to really get to a good fishing spot, he imagined. Nodding, he threw out a line. "Yeah, pretty different. I've only fished here once before, but it was quite different than ice fishing. I think this time I am going to try something different, too.." He trailed off for a second, turning his head with eyes focused on the treeline behind them. In a few moments, two jungle-type cats came prowling forth as called. They trotted towards the pair, eyes focused on the water as they did so.

The cats hesitated for a moment as Noah turned his attention back to his fishing line. He could feel small tugs on it already, the fish desperate for food as the weather cooled down. The jungle cats touched their toes into the water and hissed, but Noah pressed them forward. The cats mewled their momentary dislike before wading into the water. They moved just like they would on land, stalking for fish before finally striking. One of the cats brought a fish up in its jaws while the other continued to work. "I am...sorry this season has been so difficult. I did not expect you to uproot your life."

Cordelia Olson
the One-Shot
Hunter

Age: 30 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Cordelia

She didn't realize that they would need to wade so far out, but Cordelia followed his lead, trusting his guidance in this matter too. Just like she did everything else. Fishing line in hand, the woman hooked a bit of bait onto the line before casting it out into the waves, feeling the tension as the water carried it out towards what they were hoping to catch. "What are you planning to try?" Maybe he had thoughts to use his bow to attempt spearing fish that way, but no sooner had the question left her did two jungle cats appear from the brush behind them.

Unease sparked in her belly, but Noah focused on the cats and whatever exchange happened there was one of understanding as they set out towards the water. "I didn't know you could do that.." She mused softly, distracted momentarily until his apology suddenly pulled her attention, drawing umber eyes towards him. Her brow furrowed, head cocking to the side before she shook her head, "You don't have to apologize. I- I know you didn't expect it. Truthfully, I didn't either, but given all that happened... It just didn't feel right." Cordelia admitted softly, shrugging slender shoulders, ignoring the slight tinge of pain as the movement tugged at the still healing skin of her burn.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah tugged on his line, thinking there was a fish already on it. Unfortunately, there wasn't. The hunter frowned, though the splashing sound from the stalking cats beside him was promising. As one cat came up with a fish and headed towards shore with it, Noah's mouth twitched with the memory of a smile. "You will too, as you get stronger. The more you lean in towards the god that attuned you, the more you will do."

"It is interesting, though. I can make them do whatever I want, even if they wouldn't on their own. I've made polar bears and ursurs attack giants and dragons, I've made luxere and reindeer lay down in the snow and wait while their entire herd ran away from them....and now I have these cats, fishing in water they would much rather avoid." The second cat got a fish, and headed to place it in the basin with the first cat's catch. "I want to honor what I can do...but so far I have only used them to be selfish." He sighed, turning his eyes back to the water and his own line, which seemed to be going unnoticed now after his latest pull on it.

"Nothing feels right anymore." He almost whispered, eyes still on his fishing line.

Cordelia Olson
the One-Shot
Hunter

Change author:
Cordelia

Cordelia shifted her gaze towards Noah, studying him with a curiosity, head tilting to the side as she was quiet. Her own line forgotten in favor of listening to him, brows knitting together as he spoke, "Sometimes I'm not sure I'll ever get that strong. I haven't even been able to shift into anything else." She said quietly, shoulders slumping for a moment, but she couldn't hold it. Not when he seemed to be struggling more than she was. "Who do you follow?" The young Attuned asked, wondering if there were answers there for him because as she saw it he was simply using the gifts given to him to take care of those around him.

The woman shifted closer to him, brows drawing together in concern as a hand came up to his arm, resting there lightly, "I know. I don't feel right either. Nothing really does. I feel like I should be in Halo, but my heart hurts to think about being there with Morgan in control. I miss my family. I- I've never been this alone before." It all came spilling out of her and Cordelia hated herself for it. If only because she felt that she was making this about herself when he was clearly the one who needed the help.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

"Frey." Noah responded quietly. "I met a woman who followed them so closely and told me of all the things they had done for her and those she loved that I couldn't go to anyone else. She is their demigod, now." The flash of her golden blonde hair and kind smile was a warm memory in Noah's mind, and now that they were in Torchline, he would need to seek her out. He had so many questions for her, of her role and of Frey, of asking for her assistance.

"I used to think I would never get stronger, either. Really, that was true. I never could be strong on my own power. I think that is something that Morgan is realizing, but is trying to lie to herself about." Noah pulled on his line again, and once more it was left empty. Frowning, he turned his mental attention for a moment back to the cats, commanding them to continue their pursuit of fish, despite their mewlings against it.

Noah sighed some, his eyes settling back on Cordelia. "We will bring you back to them, and we will bring them safety from the Voice and her followers. I couldn't protect my family, those I loved and held so close, but I will not fail again."

Cordelia Olson
the One-Shot
Hunter

Change author:
Cordelia

Cordelia managed a soft hum, "I follow Frey too." She murmured, giving her own line a little tug, hoping to have better luck than her counterpart. Not that the Attuned had ever met them. She hadn't. Her attuning was a gift, but not one given to her in person. "I haven't actually met Frey." Cordelia admitted, feeling a flush rise to her cheeks despite herself, feeling lesser somehow.

The Attuned gave a small nod, giving the line another little tug, managing to finally snag one and she pulled it in carefully. "Will you help me train..?" She asked softly, unhooking the fish and adding it to the bucket. "I know I'll need Frey too, but.. but you've grown so much too." Cordelia drew her bottom lip between her teeth, daring a look at him, shifting her weight as she held his gaze for a moment.

His words struck a cord in her and she drew still, line forgotten as she stepped forward, suddenly throwing her arms around him. Her face buried against his chest and she let out a shuddering breath, "Thank you, Noah. For what it's worth... I don't think you failed. It wasn't your fault."
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

"You will. I prayed for a long time before I met them." Noah tried to smile a reassuring smile towards her. "I will help you train. I'll help you with whatever you need." He smiled again, the warmth of it breaking the ice in his eyes. The cats splashed again and came up with more fish. Obediently, as Noah had called them to, the took them to shore and placed them within the basket. Noah, on the other hand, kept coming up empty whenever he pulled at his line.

"I feel responsible for the ascended attack." Noah rolled his shoulders back, throwing his line back out to the open water. "I feel responsible for Korbin's death." He let his eyes move back out to the depths, up to the hazy sun, before settling back down on his line. "I feel responsible for— His words were cut off when she embraced him. He stood there for a breath of a moment, blinking. It was like ice melting in the eyes of the sun—it took time, but it happened. Noah melted into her, his arms wrapping around her and holding her body close to his. His own breath shook, and tears threatened to break free from behind his eyelashes before he closed them, burying his face in her auburn hair.

Cordelia Olson
the One-Shot
Hunter

Change author:
Cordelia

It was reassuring to know that even if it hadn't happened yet it likely would at some point. She just had to keep the faith. A simple task in the grand scheme of things considering her current predicament. Cordelia managed a small smile back for him as she saw a flash of that warmth she was familiar with behind his eyes. He made his vows and his promises, words that Cordelia knew he would follow through on without fail. Her ever present Noah. This was what she knew him to be. Reliable, supportive, protective... That's what she knew from her youth and that's what she knew now. He hadn't changed. Not in this way.

He might have felt responsible, but he wasn't. Not in her eyes. The only one responsible for the attack was Morgan. She led that assault. She brought them into Halo because she simply couldn't accept that her leadership wasn't what they truly needed in that moment. Instead she lashed out like a petulant child denied a toy simply because they wanted it. No, it wasn't his fault. It never was. As for Korbin... How could it possibly be on him? Yes, he brought the boy back, but that didn't mean he was the reason the raven haired boy was no longer with them. It was unfair to think that way.

Cordelia held tightly to him until she felt him melt against her. His taller frame curling over hers as he buried his face in her mess of a hair, tears soaking into the strands as they stood there in the water, uncaring of the waves that lapped at their ankles. She didn't know how long they stayed like that, but eventually she drew back, hands moving to cup his cheeks so he had to look at her. "You aren't a bad person. These things that happened... They aren't your fault, Noah. I'll keep telling you that until you finally believe it." She murmured, eyes soft and vulnerable as she looked up at him, thankful in this moment that he couldn't feel her emotions along the bond.

"Come on... You can't be late for your meeting." Cordelia finally said, drawing him from the water so that he could get ready for his meeting with Maeve to finally lay Korbin to rest.

~FIN <3~