[se] one day in the city
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
NOAH

Noah had never been to the city, but the word around the streets of Torchline was that Phoebe was there. There were so many rumors surrounding the suddenly re-appearing woman, and the hunter was finally in a place where he was ready to seek her out. Well, he wasn't really ready to travel so far to the city, but the skyport from Torchline made it easier than he thought it would be. Despite the ease of travel, the attuned found himself standing and waiting at the city's gates. He had told Deimos that he needed to speak with her, to see where she stood in the word and in all of the politics and war and--

--and Noah wanted to know what Frey thought, from her perspective.

With a puff of his breath that was so familiar it tore another piece of his heart and left it on the cold stone beneath his boots, Noah stepped forward towards the city. The only thing that felt familiar was the snow, the way that the cold bit at his lips as he walked. People around him tugged their coats closer to their bodies, arms wrapped and rubbing to keep the circulation moving. Noah, however, was clothed in the lightest of his clothing, even less than what he wore in Halo during Longheat.

{plz ignore my weird timelines}

Life isn't always what you think it'd be
Turn your head for one second and the tables turn
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
Phoebe was one of the folks amongst the crowd tugging her coat closer to her frame, ever willowy and delicate as ever before. The cold and she had never mixed. And yet, despite the chill, she still opted for a skirt - albeit one if heavier fabrics - with tall boots and wool tights. Pants had their place, but she tried to limit those places, ever embroiled in her traditional upbringing. But none of these things were what made the Nightingale stand out amongst the crowd.

Instead it was the pink drangonling at her side, pouncing on memory snow foes that rebuilt themselves faster than he could slay them. The blonde grinned as she watched Pim and his antics, occassionally adding a new little memory snowman for him to fight.

Branbast on the otherhand curled around her neck like a living seer cat stole. Snow. Yick.
she's changed, you can see it in her eyes
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
NOAH

The pink dragon was easy to spot and even easier to recognize -- especially for Noah, whom upon first meeting thought he was a danger to the woman he was bonded to. Noah's upbringing in Halo had brought with it the hesitation and fear of dragons. With the lack of accepted in the north (either born abandoned, or attuned to the old gods), Noah hadn't had much interaction with dragon companions before Prim.

But seeing the dragon now, pouncing on and destroying snowmen that remade themselves in his wake, made a smile break his cold features.

"Phoebe," Noah called out, just slightly louder than his normal speaking voice, and lifted a hand to wave at the demigoddess. He was relieved at how easy she was to find -- in fact, he hadn't even truly looked for her. They stumbled upon each other. Perhaps Frey wanted them to speak as much as Noah wanted them to.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe looked up, wide-eyed and rather confused. Sure, she was relatively known around Stormbreak by now, but not so well known to expect to be called out in a crowd. Especially by someone other than Harper, and this voice was certainly not his. Glancing around, her eyes finally fell on Noah, of all people. "Noah??" she said, the shock evident in her voice. But the curve of her lips made clear enough that her surprise wasn't rooted in bad feelings, but pure confusion. "How...whyever aren't you in Halo?" she blubbered, hurrying over to meet the man halfway. She knew he loved his home deeply, so why would he have resigned himself to a whole season away?

Of course, worry-wort she was, her mind went straight to the worst.

"Is everything alright? It is good to see you but...why are you here, has something happened?" she stammered in concern. With the world on the brink of a war it was hard to imagine anything other than a catastrophe bringing Noah away from his beloved snowy mountains and plains.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah was not surprised at her shock. She closed the distance between them, and instinctually Noah reached out to embrace the woman in a hug to his side. Her questions came flooding in, and with them took away the smile that had broken his face upon scouting her. "Yes...I, well, it is quite complicated. I came here to talk to you about it, actually..." He pulled on the sleeve of his coat some.

"I'll explain everything, if you have time for me." He realized that he had never sent word to her, never told her to expect him. He wasn't sure if she would have time for him today. She might be busy -- he didn't know what her life looked like in this city, with her new role as Frey's demigoddess. Noah realized, then, that he hardly ever sent word to Phoebe when he sought her out. When she was in Torchline and he came to speak to her about Frey he had not announced it. She had made time for him then, so the hunter was hopeful she would now.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe's expression fell further as the hunter's own turned to a frown. Clearly something had caused the ice-hardened man to falter in his dedication to his home for him to have come this far in the middle of Deepfrost to see her. Complicated. The demigoddess could not help but snort in derision. "Complicated seems the word of choice these days to describe most things." she said with a sigh. Caido was complicated. The entire place seemed built on strict rules yet filled with contradictions and exceptions. That it was something complicated that had led Noah on his journey to find her in Stormbreak was the least surprising aspect of this interaction thus far.

"Of course I have time." she said without hesitation, gesturing for him to follow her back to where Pim continued slaying memory snow foes. She left the hunter only briefly to duck into a nearby cafe, returning with two piping mugs of hot cocoa. "Here." she said, holding out one of the mugs for him to take. If they were going to have a conversation about something complicated, chocolate was most definitely in order. "So what's happened?"
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah sighed and nodded at her comment. Truly, before the last two years, Noah's life had been quite simple and uncomplicated. It was when Halo opened to outlanders and the world was larger to them that it became complicated. He knew that it was because of the involvement of the larger world in his home that made everything complicated -- the people of Halo were simple people, who just wanted to survive.

Following the woman, Noah paused outside the cafe and looked around. Despite the cold, the streets were still bustling with people. They moved in and out of buildings, laughed, talked, slipped in the snow. Maybe their lives weren't so complicated, either. Maybe they weren't a part of the larger world of Caido. Perhaps they were comfortable with where they were, and not interested in messing their lives up like Noah believed he had his.

Phoebe stepped back to him and handed him the mug. Noah took it and smiled his thankfulness for it, bringing it to his lips to take a sip of the hot beverage before starting. "The more I have been learning about the old gods and leaning into them, the more I could see the Voice for what she was. I learned from so many others who were in the Hollowed Grounds of the devastation and ruin she caused. I knew that I needed to protect Halo from her. I could feel it in my bones. My position only solidified when I learned that Morgan was letting an ascended infiltrate Halovian politics. Neron was already pulled from his leadership because of his selfish ways, he had no interest in the people of Halo or keeping them safe. We dethroned Morgan. Afterwards, Morgan came back to Halo with an ascended army and attacked the Citadel and her people. If we hadn't surrendered, she would have killed so many innocents." He paused and let it all sink in, giving her room for any questions she might have.

"So, I came to ask you, if you know of Frey's stance against the ascended and in this war." He paused for a moment, looking her in the eyes with such a seriousness that it rattled his own mind. "I need to return to Frey. They gave me a quest and...I need to speak with them. But, I will admit that I am hesitant to do so. I feel as though I have failed them."

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe held her own mug with both hands, her frown seeming to have frozen on her face in the cold. In reality, the tale the hunter spun was upsetting to the demigoddess - so much turmoil in an already treacherous place...it was disheartening to say the least. And all because of the Voice. "The Voice seems to hold a stronger influence amongst the abandoned. Maybe because the Old Gods have done just that." she said with a light shrug. It was...unpredictably predictable. Some abandoned remained true to the old gods, and yet just as many, if not more, turned to whatever promises the Voice provided.

"What is the quest?" she asked curiously, managing a small smile. "You must've had a good meeting with them if they gave you a quest?"

But his question had her looking down into her mug of cocoa, as if all the answers could be found swimming about the chocolatey beverage. "I believe Frey finds the war irritating. It presents many problems they find offensive and have even tasked me with aiding them in preserving what life I can in its wake." she said, glancing back up at Noah. "You see, Frey doesn't care about our politics or squabbles or even our morals. They create and nurture life. Anything outside of that is boring at best and bothersome at worst."
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah sipped at his hot chocolate as she spoke, nodding along to her words. "Morgan says she wants neutrality for Halo, but all of her actions point her life to the Voice. As a people, Frey has helped us so much and that help has come from the people alone. If Morgan had had her way, everything she wanted would have come from the Voice." It was the words of Noah, Deimos, Aisha, Chulane...all people with souls tied to the Old Gods who helped spur on Halo's regional quests to be what they were.

"I came to Frey originally to ask how I could help the sparkbird that was trapped in the Hollowed Grounds. I knew it didn't belong there. But Frey told me it had found its way home...or had died....they were a little aloof on the details. Either way, through the conversation Frey was able to get me to the foundation of why I had come to them in the first place." He watched as Pim tackled another memory snowman, only for it to spring back a the dragon pranced away. "I just want to protect my people."

Noah nodded again when she spoke about Frey, taking another drink of his hot cocoa. "What have they asked your part to be?"

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe couldn't help her elongated sigh before sipping her cocoa. His words hit on a truth that she wasn't sure he had stumbled upon then. "Those who follow the Voice always claim to want neutrality, but they are the same ones that cause the most harm." she said, shaking her head slowly. "They spread a blight for the Voice and refused to take accountability for it after all. Unlike the Old Gods, the Voice does not hold her children accountable for any of their actions." she said. When she mad mistakes, Frey always made sure she knew it. If she had spread a blight, they would have made no qualms about making sure she knew exactly what she had done.

But as he continued, she smirked at him over the top of her cup. "They were aloof on the details because they knew you didn't call upon them to ask about the spark bird. It wouldn't have had a real use in Halo. There are no LongNight monsters there to keep away." she said with a light laugh. "Your people are the people of the Old Gods. Where in the world they are isn't what is important. That is what I think Frey would want you to consider in your quest."

His question had her eyes turning to Pim briefly, her gaze distant as though she were off in another world - because she was. In her head anyways. "They wanted me to help preserve life in the wake of the war. That is why they changed me." she said softly. "And I have been on the other side of such a war. In my home, we were on the losing end of a very long, drawn out war. I never knew peace in my lifetime. And to maintain our people, they sent many of us younger folk away to a new world through a magic portal where we were to preserve our people and have as many children as possible." she explained before glancing at him. "It is an inevitability in the face of extinction but it is one of the most offensive things to Frey. So I am creating a garden where I can grow babies from DNA from any two people, male, female, doesn't matter."
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah nodded as the woman spoke. He did not try to correct his position on the sparkbird. He had wanted to return it to its home, not his, but it didn't matter now -- it was done. Her wisdom came through afterwards, and Noah soaked it in. Frey had to reach the whole world for those that followed them, and Noah could protect his people -- the people of the Old Gods -- wherever he was. It stung, still, as she said it. His heart panged for the place he yearned to be, with the faces he knew and the people that loved him. He wanted to be in Halo. He didn't want to be anywhere else.

Noah's brows knit together some at what she was saying next. "Like, a garden of infants? How will you care for them all once they are..." He trailed off, not really knowing whether to use the word made or born. He supposed they were all made, though. "Once they are there? Will they be orphans, or will the people they are made from want to be their parents?" Noah was letting his mind wander in all of the what-ifs of this, now, and it was easy to see. "Will any of them be made abandoned?"

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe smiled sadly, watching Noah soak in what she had to say. Gently she placed a hand on his upper arm - a small touch of comfort and solidarity. "I have had to leave my home and everyone I knew twice. It never gets easier...but making new friends helps." she said, empathizing with the struggle he felt. Certainly it was even worse, knowing it was just a mountain range away, yet worlds away idealistically - and ideals and morals were always a far more treacherous path to cross than any number of miles.

Unless there were monsters. Monsters always changed the rules.

"Like any nursemaid would. And I am sure Frey will help." she said with a small smile. They did have the nurturing aspect to their two halves after all. "Plus, it will be a garden made by a god. I am sure such technicalities won't be as great of a concern." she said. Frey had a way of seeing pitfalls she had missed and covering them. It was teamwork as much as it was service to her patron. "I am sure some families will want them. Others might see it only as a cause to contribute to. But they will be loved either way." she said with a smile. Phoebe was a midwife after all - caring for babies came naturally, and she hadn't met a single child she could not love yet.

"There might be. It will depend on the parents I am sure." she said. "Frey is not as concerned with abandoned as they are with the ascended." Only the ascended would be excluded from her garden proper.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

"So Frey has you to bring and nurture new life. I want to protect the life that is already here. Thank you for helping give me a different perspective on my own thoughts." Noah smiled over his mug, watching the woman's dragon continue to decimate the snow around him.

Despite what he said, he really did still feel at a loss. Phoebe was able to help give him a broader view of what his role in this world would be, as a follower of Frey and one that would be following them and protecting their people. But his heart still yearned for home. He still wished to be there, nestled between mountains and helping the people he has loved and known for his entire life. Out here, everyone felt like a stranger.

"How is Stormbreak, overall?" He finally asked, trying to find a handhold of conversation to continue with her. His mind swirled with everything he was feeling and thinking, and he was sure he would circle back around to these thoughts, but for now, he could try to talk about something else.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"You're welcome." Phoebe said with a small smile.

But it was clear, even as he changed subjects, just how distracted he was in his own mind. Not that it was much of a surprise - he was basically cast out from his home by a daunting enemy and someone he once trusted. Such a thing was difficult to overcome, even with Frey's guidance and her reassurances. "Stormbreak is amazing. It is so advanced compared to anywhere I have lived before." she said before pausing briefly. "But I don't think it is a place I would want to live in for long. It's too...busy. Too many politics." Like leaving babies born with magic to die before being unceremoniously tossed over a cliffside. The midwife couldn't call a place like that home.

"You're thinking very loudly though. Something tells me you aren't really that content with my answer to your initial question." she said with a little smirk. She would much rather help him through his troubles than talk about Stormbreak and its...policies.