i sank into the sea, wrapped in piano strings
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
right by the entrance you broke, finally reality's taking its hold
Gifs it makes for a wonderful distraction, and Sunjata pulls up a stool on the opposite side of the bar, the bottle between them and a glass for Nikolai should he want any — leaving the option there despite knowing he’s Ascended. And as he settles in, he folds his arms across the bar, idly fiddling with the rim of the glass as he listens to the kid. “Mm, fair.” He agrees easily, taking a sip and wincing as it burns.

As for family, there’s an understanding nod that leaves him as he sets the glass down and lifts his gaze to Nikolai. “I killed my father for much of the same.” A shrug before he’s pointing to the scar spanning his cheek. “One of the last little reminders dear old dad gave me.” Aside from the years and years of trauma but….

Moving on, Sunjata can’t help the slight smile that crosses his face. “He’s not out to hurt you. You as the Ascended have a bigger challenge to face than squabbling like hens at one another.” Another brutal honesty. “Do you want a secret on how to deal with him?” Though there is some amount of warmth that glimmers in Sunjata’s chest at the idea of Nate being threatening, just one of the things that helped make Sunjata feel safe.
you're not who you were, but you can't let it go
you're not where you're from, but you're always alone
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nikolai
We are only haunted by the things we refuse to accept
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai can't help the look of surprise that overcomes him but it's quickly replaced by one of grim understanding. Sunjata gets it and that means a hell of a lot to him. Eyeing the scar on the Attuned's face, Nikolai speaks up, sharing in kind. "I shattered my father's jaw last time I saw him. Broke my hand in the process." His eyes unconscious glance down at his unmarred hand. "For some reason it's a bit disappointing that it didn't scar, because I Ascended that same day." It would have been a grim but satisfying trophy.

The brutal honesty pulls a chuckle from Nikolai, despite himself. Lips twitching into a smirk he agrees, "Oh I know. Fun days are ahead of us for sure." Still that can't change his distrust of Nate. He'll trust the Demi-god to protect their family, but nothing more. Certainly not on a personal level at least.

The offer is another surprise and the young Ascended eyes Sunjata warily. "I would. What's the price?" Because there had to be one, right? Something that potentially valuable couldn't be free.
Resilience is born even when we feel like we are dying
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Understanding lingers in Sunjata’s gaze, a nod given to Nikolai as an amused and crooked smile tugs on his lips. “Good kid.” A compliment, because most of the time it wasn’t easy picking fights like that, let alone winning in the end. Sunjata lost more than he won, oftentimes. News of the Ascension though makes sense, despite how Ascended could still scar. Perhaps Nikolai might decide to have a round two if only to keep the scars.

Really fun.” Sunjata says flatly, the war bringing about yet another dourness to the conversation that Sunjata tries to push through with the possible advice he has to add. What’s the price, though? Sunjata squints at the kid for a moment before he lifts the glass to his lips. “Not sure, could just be a favor owed. Or, you could help me get mine and Nate’s guild back up and running. Sounds like you might be a good fit for it.” The offer is there and he cocks his head, keeping the information on his tongue rather than telling the kid anyway. He could pick which one he’d rather do.
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
The unexpected praise makes a rather prominent  (prominent for an Ascended) flush rise to Nikolai's cheeks. "Uh..thank you?" The accompanying smile sent his way only makes it worse and once more Nikolai is thankful that his new status as an Ascended. Would he ever become used to compliments? Probably not. At least his face couldn't become bright red anymore.

Nikolai latches onto the new offer with gusto. Forcing himself to scowl, he raises a brow. Doing his best regard the man in front of him with suspicion even as the flush is still visible on his face. "And what would that entail? What's your guild's goal anyway?" Left unsaid is the fear of joining the guild entailing more exposure to Nate. A favor might be a more savory price but a 'favor' could entail anything. If the young Ascended went with that price, he'd have to hash out limitations first.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
All Nikolai gets in response is a quiet nod, the accompanied smile. As the conversation turns, however, to the offer that Sunjata gives the Ascended, he wonders if it’ll make it easier on the kid. “Just rebuilding a space here in the Grounds.” He begins, tipping the glass this way and that, still controlled before he takes a sip and lets it burn his already slightly sore throat. “The guild is called the Devil’s Advocates.” There’s another pause, wondering if news had spread from Torchline to here over Hotaru and Deimos’ destruction of such a place.

Regardless, he eyes Nikolai easily. “Don’t even have to join if you don’t want to. An extra set of hands would be beneficial.” Less for them to do, given they’d only just finished building their home, the callouses still on Sunjata’s hands from it. “But the goal of the place is just, getting information. Would be useful in the war coming up don’t you think?” And perhaps Nikolai could end up being a little birdie for them. Hard to say.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
The name of the guild is familiar, the story of the fire and conflict one that Nikolai had heard. "Ah, that guild." An information guild certainly was a useful investment. It'd possibly be another resource in his search for things related to the relics. Yet a guild like that had to be built on trust. Trust in the information itself, in the sources, and in the members. Sunjata was still very much a stranger, and Nate was well... Nate.

Brow furrowing, Nikolai came to a conclusion. "I appreciate the offer, but it's something that I'll have to take some time to consider. I'm not about to join an organization without ensuring that it's what I truly want." He'd had enough of falling in line, even going so far as to Ascend to free himself. Nikolai wasn't about to willingly take any chains unless it benefited him. And how that stacked up against owing a vague favor.

Eyeing the Attuned before him curiously, the Ascended asked a question that he'd been holding back. "So, given that you're married to Nate, he's bit you right? The abilities that he takes temporarily, can you still use them while he 'has them'?"

Nikolai had been wondering about that. It was one of the questions that only occurred to him after he'd Ascended, and after he'd spoken with Wessex about his other'Introduction to being an Ascended' questions.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
That guild.” Sunjata repeats Nikolai with a quiet sigh, taking another long sip. The glass hits the top of the counter with a small clink as his steel gaze lifts. “You don’t have to join. Just help us get it together.” He tips the glass toward Nikolai as if it were a good enough deal to be struck to get his little secret on how to deal with Nate.

However, the question is aired and Sunjata’s somewhat taken off guard, brows pinching as he watches the young Ascended in front of him. “Many times.” He comments, gesturing to the many scars that he’s sure Nikolai had seen when he’d rebandaged his neck. “I can, yes. He and I have hunted in a variety of my shifts actually.” It made for a nice date night, if he’s being honest. And what he wouldn’t give to have Nate back home, to go take out some Luxere in his panther shift.

It’s a far away thought, however, and Sunjata clears his throat quietly. “Have you ever bit anyone?
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai suddenly has the realization that his words may have been misinterpretation. "As in the guild that was recently attacked in Torchline. Not as in something.." Flailing a bit and scrambling for words, he comes up empty. "Not like that." Letting out a sigh, he reconsiders Sunjata's offer. "If all you need is help setting up, I'm willing to lend a hand. So what's this secret about dealing with Nate?"

It brings some relief to hear that biting someone won't steal their ability in the literal sense. The question Sunjata then turns on him is expected but still makes Nikolai cringe. Slumping a little, the young Ascended rests his cheek on the counter, "No. I haven't. I was worried I'd be rendering someone defenseless if I took their power. I'm glad that that's not the case."

The flush returning somewhat, Nikola looks away awkwardly. "And.. I don't really want to put my mouth on some random person?" The statement comes out almost like a question with how hesitantly it's whispered.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
A noncommittal sound leaves Sunjata to respond to Nikolai, a small shrug. But as the kid mentions that he’s willing to help, Sunjata leans forward, pushing the glass aside as he lets his steel gaze linger on Nikolai. “Just don’t let him bother you.” There’s a crooked smirk that crosses his face, pausing dramatically before he continues. “The more you look and act bothered the more he’ll pick up on it and fuck with you. So if you stop, then he should stop eventually. He’s not going to do anything to you.” He shrugs, leaning back to take a sip from the glass.

He watches Nikolai slump to the table and he sets the glass down, pushing it aside as he regards the kid. “Doesn’t have to be on a random person. Doesn’t even have to be anything.” Sunjata shrugs, extending an arm to show his wrist where two separate bite marks sit. “These two are from Wessex and Peter. Nothing came about from them but they had my shifts if they needed it.” He regards Nikolai a moment. “Easy as that.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai scoffs, rolling his eyes. "Ah yes, just ignore the fucker. That'll go well." Letting out a long sigh, the young Ascended grumbles, "He's just so irritating...ugh. But I'll give it a try." At the very least maybe acting nonchalant would work? Nate was just so irritating and unnerving. It'd he hard for Nikolai to restrain himself and not get irritated but he'd try.

Sunjata's explanation only causes the Ascended's flush to increase in intensity. "That's not what I meant. I know it doesn't have to mean anything. The emotions aren't the issue. It's the act." Nikolai pauses, biting his lip anxiously, a bit embarrassed to admit the source of his problem. "I just.. it feels unhygienic." He admits quietly, not looking at Sunjata's face.

What kind of Ascended found biting people gross? Apparently this one. It wasn't required of him to survive so he'd avoided it as much as he could. But with the coming war, Nikolai would likely have to bite someone at some point. If for no other reason to get the power he needed to protect his family.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
It does manage to arise a snort from Sunjata, some tension releasing from his jaw as he focuses back on Nikolai, letting the alcohol burn in his stomach as he pours a bit more into his own glass and lifts it to swirl it around. He doesn’t miss Nikolai’s flush, watching as the Ascended attempts to explain further, and there is a surprising bark of laughter when the Ascended mentions it’s unhygienic.

Really? That’s it?” Sunjata asks with a wide grin, a huff of a laugh, unashamed at laughing at the quiet worry the young man has. “It’s really not that bad.” Sunjata shrugs, recovering and taking a heavy sip of the alcohol. “You can’t even really get sick like that. Part of the whole Ascending thing, right?” There’s a Cheshire grin that spreads across his face as he leans on his elbow and fixes Nikolai with a slightly brighter stare. “So what’re you afraid of?
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai scowls at the Attuned, though it projects more like a pout. "I know I can't get sick. It's the principle of the matter." He insists, trying to get Sunjata to see reason. "People are idiotic and who knows where they've been? What's on them?" The young Ascended gestured animatedly as he speaks, growing more energetic as he rants.

"Even if it won't hurt me, I'll still taste it. I assume. I still have whatever the hell that is, in my mouth. How can I be ok with that?" What if he went to bite someone and got a mouth full of sweat and dirt? That just sounded horrible, regardless of the supposedly great taste of blood.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Sunjata’s brows do in fact raise at the mention of principles, something that has Sunjata snorting and shaking his head to. “Okay, okay.” He pauses, abandoning the glass for the feigned yet amused surrender he gives the young Ascended, hands up toward Nikolai as if he’s conceding the point. He isn’t, but the thought is amusing regardless and the kid seems adamant about it regardless.

So the issue is the dirt? If you’re that fucking concerned about it just have them wash their hands and wrists then?” He suggests, raising a brow and moving to grab the glass again, to down the rest of the contents and hiss as it burns against his throat before his steel gaze lands on Nikolai again with a raise of his brow, wondering if that was enough to get the young man to relax.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai doesn't buy Sunjata's acceptance at all. Tsking, he slumps once more onto the table. "I guess? But there's not always going to be some conveniently placed river or sink." He lets out a long sigh. "I just find the whole idea unappealing really. I'm curious about the taste of blood, sure. I'm an Ascended after all. But just.. ew."

Shaking his head, Nikolai decides he's had enough of this topic. It's with slight pettiness that he turns the tables on Sunjata. "Say what you want but I doubt you'll change my mind. Instead talking about my oddities, you share. How does the father of a child of Safrin end up here? Married to a Demigod of the Voice at that? Which Goddess do you serve? Have you met both Safrin and he Voice?"

It was probably rude to demand these answers, but Nikolai was both curious and petty. He'd been on the spot for these uncomfortable topics, now it was time for Sunjata to pay in kind.
-Alex Elle