Personal Quest [split] [split] unicorn wranglers
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
this lighthouse I built to guide my feet has burned out and I forgot where I'm going
Her question ignored for now, Raza shrugs it off and lets the two of them focus on the work. Her partner seems to have a sense of what she wants to do, so the barkeep holds one end of the string (a bit flimsy though, innit?) and both eyes on the horses and unicorns. Once the makeshift enclosure is complete, Raza eyes it warily, but without any better suggestion, she just assumes they’re gonna be in for a long night.

Careful not to stray too far from the camp, she targets some tall ferns and starts whacking at them with her knife before carrying an armful back to the camp.

------------------

Raza keeps an eye on the unicorns while Ray does the makeshift enclosure and then collects big ferns for bedding.
RAZA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Harper

The fire leaps up soon enough, which is a relief as their surroundings begin to darken faster and faster as the sun sinks and the trees around them cast long shadows. At least there’s plenty of wood to feed it, and he stacks it expertly to keep it burning longer. Adam’s whining is at odds with the perfection of his fence - sturdy, dissuading, and well-anchored. Harper whistles with appreciation as he dusts off his hands and wanders over to look at it. “Nice job!” Raza and Ray set up a perimeter easily, and their foliage-gathering is similarly successful. Soon they will all have a drier spot to bed down, and things are looking good.

But that’s when things go a little sideways.

Theo is holding his own with the fence-building, but as he reaches for another piece of wood he disturbs the alligator lying in wait in the marshy foliage. Luckily as it lunges, Theo is not struck (whether it’s luck or skill is for the man to decide). Harper startles at the sound of snapping teeth and a thrashing tail, and turns - but the horses startle too.

They jolt and run, as prey animals are wont to do, and break through the temporary barrier the women had put up. “Shit!” Harper reaches to snatch at Theo, to help him up and away from the alligator - his life arguably means more, and Raza and Ray are closest to the horses anyway to catch them.

Adam’s fence saves the day (for now) as the horses and unicorns stall and stutter, whirling around to try and find somewhere else to go to avoid the alligator that belly crawls towards the group. They won’t hesitate for long though, especially with a predator eyeing them the same way it would a swamp deer.

- - -

Everyone say thank you Adam for rolling a crit success!

There is a hungry swamp alligator eyeing our unicorns. Time to make your own choices!

- Capture the spooked herd
- Defeat the alligator
- ??
I am water - soft enough to offer life
tough enough to drown it away
Theo Caldwell
Grifter

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

"Fuck!" Theo shouts, scrambling away from the alligator with Harper's help. He's never seen a gator before and didn't really know they existed, though he isn't particularly surprised to find a giant murder lizard hanging out in the swamp, Caido's fauna being how it is.

Once he's out of the immediate danger radius, Theo spreads his hands and and makes minor illusions dance around the gator's head -- flashing lights and ringing bells. He hopes that the illusions will scare the gator off, or at least confuse it enough for someone else to take care of it. It occurs to Theo only after he sets the illusions in motion that they might just make the gator angry, increase its aggression. Oops. Well, too late now.

Theo uses minor illusion to try to scare the gator off.

Theo

"Poker" by ND Strupler is licensed with CC BY 2.0.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray grits her teeth in frustration as the gator spooks the herd. "Oh for crying out loud," she hisses through her teeth. The last thing she wants is to scare the herd further. Yelling as she tries to walk towards them seems like a terrible plan. The herbalist begins to make her way to the her, speaking softly, "Come on lovelies. It's ok. Come here."

Gently holding out her hands and walking slow to broadcast her actions, Ray tries to get closer to them. Eyeing the lead mare, she goes for her in particular. Once more the herbalist hoping that the herd will follow her lead. Now she just hopes that she can successfully calm down the mare. "Ssshhh, come here gorgeous. We'll get your herd away from the danger, ok?" If the mare lets her, Ray will get a rope around her neck.

Ray tries to calm down the lead mare enough to get a rope around her neck. She's hoping once more that keeping the lead unicorn calm will make the others fall in line.
They have not
forgotten this
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
this lighthouse I built to guide my feet has burned out and I forgot where I'm going
Raza might be closest to the unicorns and horses, but she thinks more of fending off the alligator than of running around after creatures much faster than she.

Grabbing her nearby trident, Raza takes up a stance near Theo and points the tip of her sea-panther horn at the creature. She really doesn’t want to hurt it, seeing as they were trudging through its home and it’s just doing what alligators do. As Theo begins to cast his illusion magic, Raza yells and repeatedly jabs her trident at it, careful not to try and hit unless it comes within striking distance.

----------

Raza joins Theo and tries to keep the alligator away by yelling and threatening it with her trident.
RAZA
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:

Well, for all the shit he was talking about his fence, it suddenly turned out to be very useful. Adam took a step back from his handiwork as all shit broke loose and this time, a proud smirk came over his face as he looked over the fence. "...Alright, well maybe when I make them they're actually pretty good."

It seemed the team was well equipped for the offensive, so he turned his attentions to helping with the herd. Having spent many years working with horses, he didn't hesitant to head after the spooked unicorns, moving slowly and deliberately as he tried to soothe, guide and calm them, gently taking reins and stroking noses while making appropriately soft noises. Hopefully, he hadn't lost his touch.

---
Adam tries to catch up to one or more of the unicorns and calm it/them.

adam
Mistreat your Altar Boys long enough and this is what you get
Sad and angry... can't learn how to behave
Still won't know how in the darkness of the grave
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Harper

Luckily a group of armed individuals against one alligator is enough to make even the hungriest predator's belly take a backseat to their brain. Though its tail thrashes and it bellows angrily, flashing its teeth in a wide-splayed jaw, Raza's trident and Theo's magic dissuade it from moving any further towards the herd or the humans protecting it.

Harper keeps his hand fisted in Theo's jacket, waiting on pins and needles to see which group will need aid. Seeing the alligator hesitating, he scrambles back enough to create room, and then shifts into his elephant form. Hulking and magnificent, he stands behind Theo like a wall of impenetrable flesh, and that addition to Raza and Theo's perfectly paired tactics convinces the alligator that this is not the group to fuck with.

Ray and Adam have the right idea inspiring calm, and the lead mare - perhaps recalling how Ray has tended to her repeatedly now - allows the woman to grab hold despite the way her ears pin back and she dances uncertainly in place. They are re-captured easily, and Harper shifts back into his much smaller human form with a sigh of relief, the crackling of the fire a comforting sound beneath the whuffing of horse breaths and the wind through the trees. "Well, at least it's gone. I'll take first shift - we're in for a long night, but at least everything is set up for our bedrolls. And Adam's fence has already proven its strength," he chuckles slightly, hoping to alleviate the stress and adrenaline from the group.

"I'll be in the sky, keeping watch if anyone needs me. Try to get some sleep guys. One last stretch until we're home." He claps Raza on the shoulder with a genial smile as she's the closest, and is off to the boughs in a blur of dark feathers.

- - -

Rolls were great, we did it! Closing posts before the next split!
I am water - soft enough to offer life
tough enough to drown it away
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray lets out a sigh of relief, still stroking the neck of the lead mare. "That could have gone so much worse."  As things settle, Ray feels the exhaustion of the day hit her and she barely manages to stifle a yawn. Nodding at Harper she begins to get ready to sleep, "I'll take second watch. Don't forget to wake me up."

With that, the herbalist gives the horses and unicorns a few last pets and reassuring words before crashing onto her bedroll. She's out cold within a few heartbeats. Once Harper wakes her, she'll shift into panther form and patrol the camp and surrounding area. But for now, she's dead to the world.

Ray volunteers for second shift and goes to bed.
They have not
forgotten this
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Is she… is she the only one who’s thrown for a moment by the elephant behind her? Raza starts as soon as she feels the hulkin’ creature behind her. Hopefully it isn’t too noticeable, and she quickly tries to turn back to intimidating the alligator - though it appears there’s no need. The elephant does the trick.

Shaking her head, the proprietress turns back to Harper. “Dear God, yer fuckin’ massive. To state the obvious. Its cool and all, but she doesn’t know, could have been used earlier? Raza looks around and notices that everything seems to be okay - nobody got chomped on an’ none of the unicorns ran off into the very dangerous night.

Instead of volunteering for a watch shift, the Torcher opts to head straight for her bedroll, eager for the excursion to be over and for them to all be back in Torchline, where things could be counted on to be relatively normal again.
RAZA
Theo Caldwell
Grifter

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Like Raza, Theo makes no attempt to volunteer for a watch before hitting the hay. If anyone asked, he'd claim exhaustion and argue that he was too likely to doze off for it to be safe for him to take a watch. Honestly, he wasn't that tired, but Theo would say anything to get out of work.

Surely this trip couldn't last much longer ... Another thing Theo shared with Raza was the desire to get back to Torchline and normal life again. Herding unicorns was so much more work than Theo's usual drifting and grifting lifestyle. And Theo remained a city boy at heart; all of this wilderness made him nervous. You couldn't lie to nature. It would kill you no matter how charming you were.

Theo

"Poker" by ND Strupler is licensed with CC BY 2.0.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:

It seemed that despite his lack of faith in his fence, the fence had faith in him (or...something like that). It held, and when the unicorns were calm and danger passed again, Adam went to wiggle one of the posts, raising his eyebrows at just how sturdy it was. Had he missed his calling as a professional shitty fence maker?

"I'll watch with Harper. Not like I need to sleep anymore." He rolled his shoulders and went to find a tree to lean against, fiddling about in his pocket until he found an old cigarette, which went between his lips unlit; he just liked the feel of it there, the nostalgia of a smoke and the night sky.

--
Adam takes first watch (and all other watches, given that he doesn't sleep)

adam
Mistreat your Altar Boys long enough and this is what you get
Sad and angry... can't learn how to behave
Still won't know how in the darkness of the grave