leave a scar on the mind
For Gideon
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MABEL

There’d been days where she’d been cultivated and constructed by careful, pleading hands and unwinding fingers, laughter and recklessness, the sounds of lullabies and singsongs hastening through bonds. There’d been days where she toiled and stared out over the expanse of a barren field and wondered if it would ever grow. If prayers were heard. If anything ever really mattered. There’d been days where she’d bent her knees and said so many god damned anthems under her breath for siblings who couldn’t fight as well as them, pleading and begging to empty gods and hollowed promises.

And now, there were days where she was simply filled with greed and rage and fear.

The trepidation came with the sound of the waves basking against her ears, billowing like cycles in her memories. For a moment she wished she couldn’t remember any of it – the way she’d twisted and turned, the way she’d been smothered and held down, the way life had slowly, slowly, slowly drained out of her.

But then – these were reminders. Just like her siblings’ ghosts and memories of better days. Of her twin leaning into her. Of something that could’ve been right.

She still skirted around the treeline though, watching as the sun set, as the witching hours gnawed at her bones, as she wandered deeper into the unrelenting sand. If she gazed at it for long enough, would she grow stronger over the sea? She hadn’t with the desolate plain. It hadn’t mattered in the slightest. But she wanted to.

She’d meant to meander her way back to the Peepholes. Just to see. Just to wonder. Just to witness. The lull of the waves had tricked her though, and so she eventually rose to a boulder nearby, scaling it, standing atop it, as if she might be a mighty thing.
If you dig under my feet
You will find things that you don't want to see
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Gideon
the priest
Give your heart and soul to charity
'Cause the rest of you
Walking along the coast was still the best remedy for the tension inherent in Gideon's life, and it was a medicine he was taking often at the moment. The quiet hush of waves travelling up and down the shore made the world seem at peace, even as the Ascended worked in the shadows to draw up their plans against all that was good.

He noted a figure against the horizon, stood high and dark against the sky, and immediately he was filled with a revulsion provided by his ring - an Ascended. Few others were reviled quite so immediately by the Gods. Gideon's steps slowed until he was at a standstill, a few feet before the boulder that she stood on. As with all the Ascended he'd met walking around, he felt a desire to do something about her presence - but what?

"This isn't a place for people like you." He said eventually, voice cold and steady. "This is a place of natural beauty."
The best of you, Honey, belongs to me
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MABEL

A voice, somewhat familiar given vague circumstances, pierced through the evening. It drew her attention away from the shoreline, from the waves, from eternal graveyards scratching over the decibels drumming in her mind – and the piercing shades pinpointed, riveted, to this man.

A foul creature; instantly recognizing him from the day where he shouted amongst the market-square. A shame she’d missed in her rock hurling, but others had made their points. Her gaze narrowed, dangerous and treacherous, her fangs unfurling like slits in the harkening darkness; this was her territory now – and she wasn’t leaving. “Maybe it’s not for you.” Baiting, indifferent, seething all at once; hands impulsively yearning to clench over her daggers.

But not yet. Not yet. Perhaps something deemed her patient. Perhaps something gave into wisdom and musings.

Perhaps it wouldn’t matter in a moment or two.

Her sneer was vivid and wicked, a feral hiss gliding from barely parted lips. “Why don’t you fuck off and preach your sermons elsewhere.” She made a shooing motion with her hands, indulging him to move along.
If you dig under my feet
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
It took Gideon longer to remember Mabel's face than it had taken her for his; she had been one in a crowd of angry people before him, after all. After a moment of studying her though he realised he did recognise her - he thought she might have thrown something at him, though he couldn't be quite sure. There had been a lot of projectiles.

"Not for me? I think you'll find the Gods that made this place would disagree with that." He answered with a bitter laugh, looking out to sea with a deliberately casual pose, showing that he wasn't afraid of what she might do. "I will not leave for an Ascended, not when your mere presence here is a stain on the environment. You know I once kept some of your fluid in the Temple, and the spirits revolted? From the sheer horror of it. Not blood, not life - cold machinery and pollution."

That said, he looked back up to her. Gideon wasn't trying to convert - what was the point when she was already gone? But he found the words came easily enough, his frustrations delighted at the chance to 'get back' at the Ascended that were ruining the world he loved.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

“I don’t give a fuck about what your gods think.” He could have them – in all their impassivity, in all their favoritism, in all their collected bullshit. He could have the way they refused to gaze upon those who’d sworn their allegiance. He could have the way they barely acknowledged people they’d deemed insignificant, in the children left to rot, wither, and decay. In the innocent. In the damned and doomed.

She toyed on a knife’s edge now – standing there on her rock, proud and shadowed, fangs glistening in the hollows and hallows of moonlight. She wouldn’t leave. She’d howl and whip and scar and maul, tilting her head a fraction as the words bombarded.

Meant to rankle and ruin – her eyes narrowing a fraction, regarding the way he spoke, the intention behind them.

Mabel wished all of the old deities and their putrid spirits would fall apart at the sight of something better, something greater, something grander. But the distinction was there, pinpointed and jabbed at the fringes of her mind, something else, something boundless, unraveling. “And how did you get this fluid?” Maybe his pride would be his downfall. Maybe he’d be conceited enough to announce it.
If you dig under my feet
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
Mabel spoke with all the confidence and petulance of a upset teenager and her words made Gideon laugh bitterly, shaking his head and rolling his eyes in disbelief. How could one become so blinded to reality that they would curse the Gods that made the very rock they stood on, the ocean they listened to?

His laugh turned to something more sinister at her question, Gideon's face overtaken with a dark smile that spoke to an answer she didn't want to know. Carefully he considered her, took a step back. "Come down here and I'll tell you." He challenged, raising one eyebrow; if she was anything like the one he'd known before like her, she wouldn't be too much of a problem if things were to grow violent.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

It was Mabel’s turn to snort and roll her eyes. She wasn’t so naïve as to fall for that whole hook, line, and sinker; especially for the snare, the reel of something about temples. Like how her sister had been obliterated in one.

Like how she’d yearn to do the same to the man responsible.

“No thanks,” she waved her hand again.

Except this time it contained one of her many throwing knives, and maybe he’d see the glint of metal from the moonlight’s endless abyss. Maybe he’d miss it altogether.

But she flung it with rapacity, with ease, with a sure, certain swiftness that came with all the Ascended draped in darkness; an aim to hit and mark along one of his arms. Perhaps his shoulders. Somewhere. Anywhere. Enough to make blood run and pool. To show his human weakness.
If you dig under my feet
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
Shame, the little Ascended was smart enough not to fall for that one. Shrugging, Gideon tilted his head to the side. "Your loss."

And that would have been it, the Priest content that he'd disquieted her enough for the day, ready to turn away and use his compass - when the throwing knife shot down. He managed to move in time to have it be only a graze, the blade running over the skin of his shoulder and bringing up a line of red on his shirt, but sinking into the sand behind. Gideon gritted his teeth but determinedly did not show any signs of pain or weakness.

Still, it was enough to irk him. Enough to make him a little less careful. Taking a couple of steps back, making sure his compass was in hand, Gideon looked up to Mabel once more with eyes that were as hard as the rock she stood on. "I'll tell you one thing. The one I did get the fluid from...she looked a lot like you."
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Not enough rang and pulsed in her veins – a throbbing insistent in her rage.

More. He deserves more. More blood shed. More livelihood lost. More and more and more until he sunk into the ground and she’d stand, rise, above, watching it all pool out and around him.

Because his last words were something that riddled and rankled to the very edge, and her fangs cut into her lips, pressing too hard, indifferent, no pain felt. The only laceration in her was that of her soul – twisted and condemned, her sister’s murderer before her.

Vengeance. Take it. Take it now.

“You were the one who killed her.” Not a question, a statement, a need to get it out and into the air, before this disgusting man went any further. And then she grabbed hold of more of her knives, and they felt endless, eternal, in her grasp, the contempt, the loathing, the wrath beating and bleeding through her insides until she could only see red.

And then she flung them; three at once, yearning for them to sink and simmer and divide and conquer.
If you dig under my feet
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Change author:
Gideon
the priest
'Cause the rest of you
Well, it seemed like his words had certainly had their intended effect. Even with his back turned, Gideon could hear in her voice the disgust on Mabel's face; the clenched fists and snarled lip. Good. He'd leave her with that knowledge, to stew over and live with (in so much as Ascended 'lived' at all).

Because he wasn't going to stick around to actually get stabbed. The second he heard her response he clutched the compass and was gone, thanking the Gods as he managed to escape a second before the knives reached their mark. All in all, he had only taken the scratch to the shoulder, which was a small wound for a scuffle with one of the enemy.

Back in the Temple, he smiled to himself imagining her frustration back on the beach.
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

And then there was nothing but empty air.

She snarled in the stretches of moonlight, where there was naught else to see or feel her rage but the depths of her own soul. She might’ve howled in the luminary glow, but instead, her hands curled into fists, over the remaining knives in her hand. “Coward,” she whispered. But now she had more information. A face. A form. A beacon of her vengeance and wrath. All she’d need to do is discover names, traces, and how to overcome the weakling’s ability to simply vanish.

Her sister’s death wouldn’t be in vain. Not if she had anything to say or do about it.

Mabel picked up the knives that had sunken into the sand, and began her journey to the closest shrine. There were questions and answers to be had.

{FIN}
If you dig under my feet