{SE} I Second That Emotion
Az
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE
If it's all under control
Then what the hell am I doing
It’s not the Spire at least. No, this time Nate comes straight to the Sanctuary to collect Azrael, a warm hug and a few easy words offered as a greeting before they set off. He leads them to the Woods, close but not quite at the usual haunt, and steps into the darkened woods without hesitation. Pemota has been left behind at the VlamVloed with Sunjata, her discomfort and sadness a weight in the back of Nates mind that he can’t help but be aware of, now that he’s been reminded that it can vanish.

Considering his size, his steps fall near silently through the snowy underbrush, a grin angled back at Azrael when they first enter, proposing a contest, of sorts. They don’t want to spook their quarry, after all. Though the doctor does still collect dead branches they happen across, a basket strapped to his back, kindly bf to bring home when they’re done here, along with the bulk of the hunted meat.

Do you think we’ll see any Luxere around this year?” He asks softly, turning to face his fellow demi-god without stopping and immediately earning a branch in the back of his head for it.
Yelling for nothing at all
And wondering how this all happened
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
Azrael

Excitement lingers in their face when Nate comes to collect them. Though as they head toward the woods, Azrael can’t help but to let a bubbling laugh leave them, along with a snickered comment. “No Spire today?” Because that’s where they’ve always seen Nate as they crossed paths — aside from the one time he had stumbled across them while they built in the ruins.

For now, though, they fall into step beside Nate, glancing between the path and him, a grin glued to their face as their footsteps crunch through the snow. “Maybe! They like to come out around this time of year.” Their shoulders rise and fall in an easy, carefree shrug, before they continue on. “We tried to lure them for LongNight, tried to sing to them. They don’t like us very much I don’t think.” Their smile falters slightly here but it comes back strong a second after.
shadows dance around the room,
i know their names, i carry their blood too
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
Nate can’t help but chuckle, trying to keep his voice low. “Not today. But I’m sure I’ll be back before long.” It seemed nearly everything the Voice created required the dark stone, after all. And already he had plans for a new shrine brewing in his head, one closer to his new home.

I don’t think a lot of the old gods creatures like us much.” There’s a frown in Nate’s voice, his steps pausing so he can reach back and squeeze the young Demi-gods shoulder. Even if nothing else in the world was on their side, they had each other. It would have to be enough. “At least today they’ll have a reason to not like us.” He tries to joke, getting them moving again.

Hunting is not something he has much experience with, beyond the shifted trips with Sunjata. The principle should be the same h the yogi, shouldn’t it? Nate crouches to gather another few bundles of sticks and catches sight of a lucky break. A hoof print, pristinely captured in the light snow. Without a word, Nate presses a finger to his lips and gestures for Azrael to follow.
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Azrael

Let me know next time and maybe I can help make a stock pile for you.” Azrael suggests, surprisingly bright despite the dourness of the way they’re coming out here to hunt the luxere. Having never had a moment to think about a food source, they’re not entirely sure whether they’re okay with the idea of hunting just yet.

This is the first time they’ve done it, anyway.

Their shoulder is squeezed and they nod a bit solemnly, before they’re readjusting the pack they have looped around their shoulder. Their lips part to say something before Nate’s pressing a finger to his lips and gesturing for them to follow. With bright blue eyes ringed with ochre they follow every movement almost perfectly, slipping into Nate’s shadow as if it were as easily as their own – eyes peeled for the Luxere. And after a few moments, there’s the hint of a glowing antler that pops out from behind the maze of darkened trunks.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
"Might be worth getting a stockpile together anyway." The Voice seemed to need it more often than not, and it would be better, more convenient to have stockpiles in places, in case... just in case. "We can figure it out when we're done here."

And with that they creep deeper into the woods, silent as the falling snow. It's a shame something built so perfectly for hunting has no need of sustenance. The telltale glow of antlers peek through the skeletal branches, and Nate pauses. He has a crossbow strapped to his hip for exactly this reason, but his kneejerk reaction is still to whistle, a black streak hurtling towards the luxere.

And, obviously, alerting the fuckin' thing and sending it shooting into the forest again.

Nate stares after it for a moment, then sighs, rubbing his face. "I guess... we follow it. Quietly again." And they start through the woods again, Nate leading them after the luxere's tracks, slowing as the quiet sounds of a grunting animal drift back towards them. "Think it might be a herd." He breathes back towards his fellow Demi-god.
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

Sure.” They agree, already figuring out how to plan it – where to hoard it and keep it so that way whomever needed it would have it. Perhaps they should talk to the Voice about it, find out a little bit more about what went on with the obsidian and see if there isn’t anything else they can do to help. Regardless, though, it’s a conversation for another day, because they’re faced with the glowing antlered luxere and Azrael’s eyes are bright as they watch the arrow zip through the air.

Truthfully, they don’t know if it hit the deer or not – not yet, but snapping their attention to Nate as he trudges deeper into the path they take. “I think I read about this…” They whisper quietly to Nate, as quiet as they can. “Pick off the older ones, since they can’t run as fast, right?” Though the thought makes them sad, it makes them wonder what exactly it meant for the war coming up – were they to be hunted just the same?

Carefully now, they’re practically glued to Nate’s back as they try to creep up on them again, their hands twisting at their wrists as anxiety settles in their stomach.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
"Something like that." Nate murmurs back, picking their path carefully. They are not natural hunters, they are silent, tireless machines, and catching up with the herd is almost too easy. As they come closer, Nate pauses, and carefully peers around a tree to look at the herd. There seems to only be one luxere among them; one luxere, a handful of normal deer, and a single mutant deer, bones sticking awkwardly out of its back, a handful of half-grown legs running along its flank. Nate winces when he sees it, and gestures delicately towards the twisted creature.

As silently as he can, Nate lifts the crossbow, hesitating only a moment as he lined a shot up. He wanted this to be quick, relatively painless. He pulls the trigger, and the deer goes down with a final grunt, the rest of them fleeing deeper into the woods once again. "Just like that." There's a small note of triumph in Nate's voice, his eyes locked on their fallen prey as he stands, slings his crossbow along his back again.
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael

It doesn’t quite seem like Nate knows much about it either – and if it weren’t something that did admittedly make Azrael a little bit sad, they might have made a joke about the whole something like that. But they don’t, because they’re approaching the herd again and Azrael watches as Nate assumes a position with the bow in his hands, and spies the target. There’s a few regular deer, one beautiful luxere that has Azrael’s eyes wide in childish wonder.

And then their gaze falls on the mutated deer, the one that simply doesn’t look right in comparison to the rest of them. And when the bow is lifted, Azrael’s worries are bright as they watch the arrow begin to fly, wondering if Nate was planning to choose the luxere like initially planned. Thankfully, though, the arrow sinks into the mutilated one and Azrael frowns as they slip from the bushes toward the deer.

Why is it like this?” They ask, approaching and crouching nearby, reaching up and hovering their hand over the half grown legs over the deer’s flank, their hand flexing before they retract it and stuff it under their arms as they fold across their chest.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
They push through the bushes to the clearing, the fallen luxere quiet and still. Nate crouches alongside the body and looks up at Azrael, his lips tightening as he considers the best way to answer. "I don't know exactly, but... I think it has something to do with the barrier." He pulls a knife out and gives the other a look of warning begins he begins to section off parts of the luxere. "The longer they were in here, the worse they got."

He carves out a few prime cuts and wraps them up in a waxed cloth from his pocket. It's not like he needs a lot. There's something serious in his face when Nate looks up again, his bright eyes focused on the younger demi-god. "You know... the same thing would have happened to the people here if they stayed closed off too much longer." His tone is quiet, distant, Nate staring off into the distance before he stands and wipes his hands down his front. "Let's head back. We can do something fun inside for a bit." The rest of the luxere is heaved up over his shoulder with a grunt, Nate supporting it with crackling arms and leading them back out of the woods. The deer could be distributed to others who needed it more for Longnight.

End