[SE] feeling festive
Melita
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
there exists a tipping point between gods and monsters
It's a still and snowy afternoon within the Wildwood, and Ronin has no business being a dragon, really. And yet, as he'd come across the clearing and its perfectly crisp, untouched snow, something within him wants to tear it up and disturb its peace. Before he knows it, he has unsheathed wide and leathery wings, and his considerable bulk is thrashing at the trees and the snowfall and ruining the perfect Deepfrost scene.

When he's finished, Ronin flumps onto his starry belly, snorting a flurry of snow into the air and burrowing into it. Coal black, he's about as obvious as it gets in terms of camouflage, and yet it doesn't seem to matter to the dragon. Because as he settles in to enjoy his (relatively minor) carnage, a jingling fills the air.

With a growl that almost seems to hum from his throat, he glances around. There's a further jingling - unbeknownst to Ronin, a jingle bug has just landed on his snout.
ronin
Styling stolen from Sky (obviously)
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Melita didn’t frequent the Greatwood as much as she used to. But in assisting Maeve in several things, she found herself winding around both the familiar and unfamiliar roots and routes; marching to a steady beat in her boots, traipsing lightly through snow, stretching her long legs and accommodating Fangorn as they leapt their way amidst the pathways. The world was different, altered, under the glimpse of frost and blankets of powder, beautiful to behold, and she couldn’t help the warm smile dignifying her features; far better received than the frown or furrowed brows she’d been adorning lately.

And then there was a strange noise she couldn’t recall hearing in these groves before. She paused, stilling, listening, and the vampire gourd in her arms did the same. They waited as time passed, until another. A jingle. Like bells on a sleigh. The honeybee turned, advancing, following as more and more echoed like a little, wild throng. Maybe she thought she’d find a horse-drawn carriage sweeping through the narrow passages. As if that would make any sense.

Which, as she glimpsed upon the figure in the snow, probably did hold a bit more to the narrative than this picture.

A black dragon – with some bug on his snout.

Rigid, surprised, stockstill again, the youth blinked. Fangorn didn’t quite know what to do either. The only dragons they’d ever come upon had been in Sunjata’s form (and this certainly wasn’t the Flood), or any monstrous thing they had to destroy. “Oh, um…sorry to bother you,” she squeaked, intending to turn back the way she’d came.
to be the sun
MELITA
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The jingling has taken Ronin out of his instinctive need for ruin and carnage, and in the time it takes for the honeybee girl to find him in his glade, a whole host of jingle bugs have come to settle upon the dragon. His reptilian eyes have crossed to locate the one on his snout, and a long, spiny tail sweeps across the snow in a lazy arc, much like a cat that might possibly be tempted to play.

He has just raised his head in an attempt to snuff the bug off his nose when a voice rings through the air, Ronin glancing up enough to set a few of the bugs ringing and zooming around him, Fangorn and Melita. Hallo, Mel! he greets her in a voice she won't hear, and what erupts from his throat in a vocalisation probably won't sound nearly as jovial.

Luckily for them, a familiar pale reptile is also hitching a ride on Ronin's back. Sugar pops up from between the starry dragon's horns, trilling a similar greeting and swooping down into the snow near Fangorn. The season has her in a good mood, what can she say?
ronin
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
The jingling was insistent, and stoked her curiosity, but the following vocalization had been enough of a warning, and the honeybee had made to scurry away, quickly. Though she had all manner of prowess when it came to weaponry, she knew far better than to tangle with a dragon. Massive, blighted vampire gourd? Sure. Lava octopus? Go for it. Skeletal beast in the desert? Why not. Dragon in the middle of the woods? Eh.

But then a far more familiar subject appeared – smaller frameworks than its bonded – and as she bent down to scoop Fangorn into her arms and make haste out of the confines, she recognized the ivory companion. “Oh! Hello Sugar!” Dimly, dumbly, and all the more uncertain – her brows furrowed for a moment, blinking upwards towards the massive beast. “Ronin?” And even then, if it was him, was it still safe? Should she be continuing to head for the hills?
to be the sun
MELITA
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
What Ronin attempts to say is a vibrant yes! in response to Mel's question, but he ends up rumbling out another threatening noise, rearing up on his hind legs instead and spreading his wings. This of course sends snow raining down upon them all and causes the jingle bugs to take flight. Sugar, at least, finds this all very amusing indeed, flapping about and trying to eat one of the bugs (naturally) as it flutters across her line of sight.

The bugs try to take refuge in Melita's hair and on Fangorn, and Ronin lowers his head again to snuffle towards the honeybee girl and her pumpkin. There's nothing threatening about this at least, especially as he huffs out a breath through his nose to try to get rid of yet another insect on his snout.
ronin
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Melita’s eyes widened, and out of instinctual lunges and pulls, began to back away as wings were outstretched, as ominous declarations seemed to scatter about the snow. The jingles erupted in a merry little harmony that didn’t seem to match the depiction: until Ronin’s draconic form lingered before hers in a long, low snuffle; the terrifying moments come and gone.

Her heart raced and her lungs eased back multiple breaths she hadn’t realized she’d been holding. While her pulse tended to strive and wane away from the chaotic panic, she permitted Fangorn to drop downward again. The gourd reacted in utter confusion as the bugs maneuvered along him, vines waving in some wild little frenzy (did he watch Sugar and then seize upon the opportunity to eat them? Absolutely.). The honeybee snorted as her hands rested on several pinpointed into crimson locks, dragging them out, permitting them to linger on her palm for a moment.

Before she noticed the insect on Ronin’s long maw. “I can get that for you,” and she went to grab it, uncertain just how it would affect his scales and form, if at all.
to be the sun
MELITA
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
the baffled king composing hallelujah
Between Sugar and Fangorn, the jingle bugs mostly decide to save their hides and scatter to the sound of sleigh bells, but not before a few of them fall victim to snapping jaws (whether that's from a dragonling or a pumpkin). And then there's the one on Ronin's snout to contend with; he holds still as Melita reaches for the insect, and it's left jingling brightly in her hands as the Huntsman shifts back into himself. He's left crouching in the snow at her feet, bundled in a scarf, coat and gloves, though his smile is visible even then.

"Thanks, Melita," he says warmly, swiping at his nose as if to make extra sure that the insect is gone. "Sorry if I startled you - I've been trying to practice being in that shift." And I was just done tearing up this clearing when you found me goes wisely unsaid. "I've never seen bugs like this before, have you?"
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Fangorn grumbled and rumbled his contentment in what he considered a fine meal, waving his vines around to entice Sugar in some other game. Melita’s ease continued to disperse through her veins though as Ronin shifted into a far more familiar form, and the bright edges of her smile could become effervescent things, instead of the anxious multitudes. “You’re welcome.” Her hands went to one still stuck in her hair, desperate to get itself out of her reach. Unfortunately, she deftly plucked it from the locks of crimson, allowing for a more thorough inspection.

The bell for an abdomen had a semblance of adorable depictions – and she only shook the bug once to listen to the full effect. A small jingle, higher-pitched than many of the others, resounded. With a little laugh, she set it free, before either dragon or gourd could snag it for another snack. “No, but they seem all right.” Compared to the number of other species that promises terror and torment.

As for the dragon notions, her gilded eyes rounded back to his features. “Have you had that shift long?”
to be the sun
MELITA
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"They do, don't they?" Ronin agrees, leaning in so he can inspect the jingle bug a second time as a man. He grins to hear the chime of its abdomen when Melita shakes it, the Huntsman straightening back up and glancing at Sugar as she bounds through the snow after Fangorn to continue whatever game the gourd has started.

After checking that his companion isn't going to accidentally injure her new playmate, Ronin turns his full attention to the honeybee girl nearby, rolling his shoulders as if to release any soreness in his muscles. "Only since Leafchange," he confesses. "It feels like I only have to think about it these days and there's something new to learn."

Still, he's much better than he was, and he gives Mel another bright smile as he tucks his hands into his pockets. "What brings you to the Greatwood anyway?"
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
While Sugar and Fangorn seemed to be embroiled in some form of chase (it was difficult to tell; considering the gourd would be far, far slower than the little dragon), Melita considered, contemplated, smiled at the exchange of shifts, at the notions of everything new. “But that’s exciting too! Do you have lightning, like Jata?” Uncertain of the parameters between shifted dragons and their elements – if Ronin had anything else associated along those lines.

As for why she was here, the youth gave a playful shrug. “I was helping Maeve with some things.” The ruler of Torchline seemed to have a knack for delegation, or at least seeing where she could utilize her citizens. “It’s been a long time since I was here.” Fond memories pressed in against her mind; from the nymphs, the undine, and everything else notched in between. Curiosity flickered along her face; emotions an eternal, open book. “What else has been happening in the Greatwood?”
to be the sun
MELITA
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Not lightning, no. It's like... starfire, I think is the best word for it?" Ronin smiles awkwardly, still unsure how to characterise the celestial breath that erupted from his dragon form's throat. "I suppose it kind of fits in with the starry theme, right?" Brushing the snow from his coat and watching with mild amusement as Sugar bounds into a flurry much deeper than expected (she disappears), he tilts his head to hear Mel's explanation.

"Oh? Is there anything I can help you out with?" he wonders; the Greatwood is a far cry from Torchline in terms of the climate, especially when one is used to the beaches and the palms. "Mm, it was strange when I first came back too," he agrees, beginning to meander back around the clearing. "Not much has been happening, I don't think. Remi and I have a houseboat, and he's the Greatwood Guardian. I'm on his council. I'll be making a skyport in the Sidhe Village soon."
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
Melita’s grin remained its luminescent self, even as her brows widened, arching slightly, at the mention of not lightning, but starfire. Such was the impact of Safrin’s power, and the youth could only imagine the beauty surmised in the might and majesty of it. “Very fitting,” and she laughed – not thinking about how it would be utilized, surmised, for any future fault lines. She’d tread very lightly on those ranges, characteristically forgoing the thought of war on the imminent horizon.

Fangorn disappeared in following Sugar – and Melita would’ve been concerned had she not seen a couple of vines snaking about back and forth. Her attention went back to Ronin, shaking her head. “I don’t think so. Most of it’s been covered. I just wasn’t in a big rush to go home just yet.” Not when the winter wonderland was present all around – the dazzling flakes, the memory snow, the weight of the powder lingering in boughs. The sand and dunes and sea were awe-inspiring, but so were the groves, the clearings, and the enigmatic twists and turns of the woods. She followed, traipsing, then launching in her boots, content. “A houseboat sounds lovely,” lazily drifting down rivers – maybe only ceasing when gulls pressed and the air turned salty. “Another skyport…” and her eyes went towards where the sun was streaking through bits and pieces of greenery. “Did you enjoy Stormbreak?”
to be the sun
MELITA
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
It's a shame that Ronin can rarely think of anything but war, given who he is and what he's expected to do, and privately he can only be pleased that the Greatwood hasn't yet been touched by his draconic starfire. Still, he's happy to banish those thoughts in lieu of smiling back at Melita, letting their companions go about their mischief while they speak. "I don't blame you - I imagine this is a pretty nice change of scenery. How are things in Torchline?"

Humming his agreement about the houseboat - it really was quite quaint, and he hasn't been quite this content in a long while - Ronin unfortunately can't say the same about Stormbreak. He wrinkles his nose and shrugs a bit. "It's a beautiful place," he says. "Quite grey, but wondrous in its own way. But I think I enjoyed it there because I had to, you know?" He hadn't been stationed there by choice. "Have you been?"
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
The honeybee hadn’t settled her mind for war – not yet. Not with Nate. Not with too many other loose ends. If she didn’t think about it, perhaps she wouldn’t have to surmise where she’d end up. Where her loved ones would be. The long-term future seemed infinite, and not at the same time. Her smile remained, because she didn’t want it to fade. Determination, forged with some bizarre, entangled resolve for so many god damned things. “They seem to be settling down. There’s going to be a healing fountain soon. Bonfires and parties during LongNight.” Her grin enveloped again; for that was far better than what could’ve been.

She watched as his features altered and changed at the subject of Stormbreak though – which, bound by her experiences and discussions with Seren and Paige, seemed to be the usual round of reactions. “Forced fun?” She laughed, but it felt a little hollow and empty – brows furrowing slightly afterward. “I haven’t. I’ve been curious – Seren told me some things about it.” But not enough to make her want to go – to a place that proclaimed such dissent upon Abandoned and Ascended alike. And here her nose wrinkled, layered and lacquered in a series of implications.
to be the sun
MELITA