Training when you know where you stand
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
"Noted," Jack almost purrs in return - about the things she's found around his belt, and about the sorts of things she likes him to say. He pulls both knives out of the driftwood, handing the madame's back and tucking his own away. "Your whip? You're quite the queen, y'know," he says, chuckling under his breath and peeking around the driftwood and tilting his head suddenly as he spots something that has obviously recently been scored into the rock.

"Y'know how to read the smuggler's cant, Your Highness? Jack asks, crouching down in front of the symbol carved into the stone, reaching out with calloused fingertips to brush across it. "Be useful for you to learn, if you're gonna be top dog in these islands."
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
I would fall from grace just to touch your face
It's a delicious sort of back and forth. One that Maeve's been craving. There are so few who match her step for step. She hums in response, taking her borrowed and now stolen dagger from Jack, slipping it into a spare sheath on her belt. "Two compliments in a row? My my my... Keep it up, Jack. I'm starting to think you like me." The Nightshade teases, her words coming out a purr as she trails after him, wondering what exactly he's spotted.

Her hands brace lightly against his shoulders as she bends down, brows knitting together as she concentrates on the newly carved symbol. "Some, but I could stand to learn more. I knew enough to read the note for the meeting." She licks her lips, a dark brow arching at his words, "Are you offering to teach me?"
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
"Or maybe I just know what you like," Jack rumbles, a small smirk curling across his lips even if most of his attention is on the coded message in the stone. Anyone else might have received the more brusque don't flatter yourself but Maeve is a queen now, and there are rules or some shit. "Meetings are one thing, warnings are another," he mutters. "I'll teach you as much as you need to know not to get yourself killed."

As with all things Jack, the motivation is of course selfish - if Maeve fucks up and dies, then his plans and machinations fall apart again, and after Remi and Sunjata, he ain't keen. "So this one means someone's noticed a high tide comin' in at noon," he says, peering up at the sky and noting the position of the sun. "Could drown an idiot if they're caught unawares."

Reaching into his pocket, he withdraws what looks like a large, sPoOkY tooth. It's a whale tooth decorated to look like it belongs to a ghost whale. Jack has spotted that it's not the real deal a while back, so now it serves as a tool of sorts. "Here's how it breaks down," he explains, scraping into the stone to show the way the symbols coincide to create the message.
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He does know what she likes. Whether it's simply for his own gain or not doesn't matter. Not when he continues to prove to have at least some of her desires in mind. Maeve gives his shoulders a squeeze as she braces there, jade eyes watching calloused fingers dance across stone, "That you do." She agrees, a smirk of her own curling on her lips, giving away her obvious delight. Except he's offering her something she can't refuse. The Nightshade nods in understanding, "I'd appreciate that."

She says with a clear sincerity. Again, motivations aside, she knows better than to turn down help if it means survival. The information for the meaning of the symbol is tucked away in the back of her mind. Especially given that she can't swim for shit still. She's trying to learn, but everyone who was meant to teach her keeps disappearing. What a fucking coincidence.

"So what does this one mean by itself?" Maeve asks, pointing to one of the newly carved symbols from her spot over his shoulder.
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
That she can't swim is a surprise, and a piece of handy knowledge that he tucks away for later. Will it prove a boon or a curse for Maeve in times to come? Who knows? In the meantime, Jack goes ahead with his scratching at the stone, until there are a row of little symbols beneath the smuggler's message.

"This one means care - be careful. This one means water. And this is noon." He points them all out in a row. "Then they combine to make the warnin'."

Straightening up, the captain looks over his shoulder and offers her out the shark tooth. "Now you," he instructs. "Show me what you got." Shifting to the side so she can lean down as well, he brushes a bit of sand from the stone so there's room for her to practice properly.
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
He breaks it all down for her and it's easy to pick up. He's a surprisingly good teacher and the idea of him sitting down the crew of the Ark to go over a lesson of smuggler's cant is a rather amusing picture. The Nightshade manages to keep her laughter contained, pushing the thought away she shifts to kneel in the sand, taking the tooth from him and pressing the tip of it into the sandy stone.

"Aye aye, Captain." She hums, beginning to scratch the symbols into the rock, copying the lines of his own work with ease. Maeve gets about half way through the final symbol before the tip of the tooth breaks off. "Fucking.." She grumbles, huffing out a frustrated breath, turning to look back at Jack.
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
Either he's a good teacher or she's a good learner or smuggler's cant is really fucking easy, because she picks it up like a fish thrown into water. Jack remains crouched down beside her as she takes the tooth and starts carving out her symbols, humming his approval here and fixing a small amount there, until she's on the last one and it's all clean sailing. Until it isn't, obviously, and the crunch of the tooth cracking echoes across the shale beach.

Maeve looks back at him and Jack raises his eyebrows at her, clearing his throat gently. "That," he informs her, "was a bonfide fake ghost whale tooth. One of a kind." Leaning back on his knees, he gazes down at her and at the tooth with folded arms. "I expect it to be replaced."

Jack's item has been destroyed:

Type: Grey
Ghost Whale Tooth | actually just a normal whale tooth that's been painted to look spooky.
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Of course. Of course Jack would want his fake Ghost Whale tooth replaced because it was Jack and he simply loves to give her a hard fucking time. Maeve rolls her eyes at him, using the jagged edge to finish her carving as she huffs out a breath, "I'm sure you do." She mutters with a snort, turning her attention towards him and leaning forward until they're almost nose to nose. "Lucky for you I have something you might like instead."

And no, she's not talking about sex. Not this time, at least. Maeve grabs her discarded pack from behind him, leaning in enough to crowd his space before she's straightened up, digging through her pockets for the Molten Tiger tooth she collected a few days prior. She produces it after a couple of breaths, holding it out in her palm for him to inspect. "Will this do or do I need to go whale tooth hunting?"
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
"Oh is that so?" Jack inquires, watching as she scratches out the rest of the symbol (more tooth splinters away and it's pretty much useless by the time she's done). But then Maeve turns to him - reaches past him - and he remains exactly where he is as she invades his space. Neither of them are the sort to particularly care, as long as she's not trying to be intimate in a way that doesn't involve sex, and so when she draws back and offers out a tiger tooth, his eyebrows raise, impressed.

"It'll do," he murmurs, accepting it from her palm and getting to his feet as well to brush off his clothes. "For now, though, noon's on its way, an' I don't plan to be swept away by a high tide. You comin'?" She can even finish her run, but the captain won't be joining her.
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve knows better than to take more from the Captain than what is offered. Sex? That's an easy exchange. Pleasure given and gained. Transactional and free of strings. It's easy to understand and indulge in together. Even if she is a queen now and even if he is on her council. Not like such concepts are new. Still, that isn't her goal at the moment, but the temptation of having him in her office is great and she might make good on it later on. For now, teeth are given and debts are paid.

"I was hoping you'd say as much." Maeve murmurs in return, taking his hand and pulling herself up, uninterested in fighting a ride she would lose against. "Always." They set off down the coast back towards the port. She can finish her run later.

~FIN <3~
Maeve