Training when you know where you stand
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
There are plenty of entrances into the Fingers, and some are more obvious than others. This one in particular is a long stretch of pebbled shoreline leading in a gentle slope up and into the tunnels. It's not used very often because the tides are ruthless, but the large amounts of driftwood does make for good target practice.

Jack stands on the pebble beach with some throwing knives in hand, the captain looking suitably tousled and windswept by the morning breeze. Across from him, a few of the aforementioned bits of driftwood have been fashioned into something roughly resembling a person, and he takes lazy aim and tosses one of the blades at it.

It sticks in a groove between two pieces of wood, and Jack grunts his approval.
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
I would fall from grace just to touch your face
It's amazing what she's able to do now that she's not pregnant. It wasn't anything she couldn't do before, but being rather limited for a season really put things into perspective. Mainly that she needs more training. Her spare afternoons that aren't spent working include workouts. Time to herself to wear her muscles out and building up her strength. It's what she's doing now and that's how she comes upon Jack.

Of course, she hasn't seen him since giving birth nor has she given him proper payment for this last shipment, but she has no doubt that the captain will remember to correct. She is surprised to see him throwing daggers and she can't risk the temptation that is loosing an arrow of her own. Maeve pauses her run, steps slowing just enough for her to knock an arrow and send it flying, sinking into the target flush against Jack's dagger.
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
The arrow strikes before Maeve comes into range of his telepathy, and it's enough to have Jack spinning around with a second blade already raised, ready to throw in the direction of the sudden intruder. At the sight of the Nightshade, though, he relaxes somewhat - and then she's stepping into the periphery of his magic and he lowers the knife. "Showin' off are we?" he drawls, crossing the pebbles to pull out the dagger and the arrow from the driftwood.

"You're lookin' a lot less with child these days," he remarks, which is as close to a congratulations as she's going to get from the captain. "Decidin' to brush up on your archery as an intro to motherhood, are you?" He's meandered over to her by now, offering the arrow back and gently pressing the pad of his thumb against the tip of the knife he'd thrown.
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The Nightshade was expecting such a reaction. His blade comes up, poised to throw, but she doesn't flinch. Instead her lips curl into a smirk, a dark brow arching as she leaves her driftwood perch to slink closer, jade eyes roving over the captain with a glint that's borderline ravenous. Damn hormones can't decide whether to make her laugh or cry, but it seems they can recognize attraction without issue. Something that Jack definitely is. With his windswept appearance and cocky nonchalance. Ever the indifferent bastard. She loves to hate that about him. "I couldn't resist. Such a tempting opportunity shouldn't be wasted."

Her words come out in a silky drawl as she finally stops a few feet from him, nodding in response to his comment, "I am. It was a boy. His name is Edmund." Not that he likely cares to know, but she shares anyway if only because it's habit to do so now. "Locke up and disappeared, though. Suppose that's what I get messing about with the roughish types." Her shoulders lift in a shrug despite the slight sting in her chest that the thought of him produces. The heartbreak is beginning to shift from hurt to anger as the days go by. It's easy enough to forget for the time being with his piercing blue gaze looking her over.

Maeve takes the arrow back from him, testing the sharpness of it herself, thumb pressing against it until the skin turns white and threatens to bleed. "Didn't you know it's a requirement? All new mother's must learn a combat proficiency." Her smirk turns into a grin and her eyes dip down to his daggers. "And what about you, dear Captain? Simply blowing off some steam or trying to brush up?"
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
"You're lucky I didn't let it fly," Jack says of her tempting opportunity, raising his eyebrows and letting his gaze drink her in as they both make note of her very-much-not-pregnant-self. "I'll be sure to raise a glass to the little prince," he rumbles, throwing another knife in the direction of the driftwood. It doesn't hit as square on as last time, but it still embeds itself into a neat crevice.

"Torchline is full of the roughish types. Not sure what you were expectin'," he tells her of Locke, moving to collect his knife. "Ain't as though we're an island of knights in shinin' armour." Whatever their previous governors might have appeared to be. "How's my skyship comin' along?" Yes, he's clarified with Aurelia. No, he's still not happy about it.

As for what he's doing out here, Jack shrugs and gestures to the hunk of driftwood. "Passin' time. Place is quieter'n usual these days. Even us troublemakers ain't makin' much trouble."
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
"Lucky indeed." Comes the easy quip, a dark brow arching to mimic his own, very aware of the way he runs his eyes over her. Despite the slight chill in the air, Maeve isn't dressed for it. The loose tank top she's wearing tucked into her pants and held in place by a belt that shows off her once more flat stomach. Her lips curl into a smile and she huffs a soft laugh, "Thank you." Maeve knocks another arrow, drawing it back to loose into the driftwood alongside his dagger, sinking a good inch into the sun bleached surface.

That smile takes on a self deprecating nature and she shrugs again, moving across the pebbled beach to collect her arrow, shoulders lifting into another shrug, "Don't think I was expecting anything. I know better than that now." And a part of her does even if another part still longs for the comfort of a partner. "Who says I want one of those? Don't so much care if they're a rogue or a criminal or whatever else." The thing about them is that they'll go to lengths that others wouldn't dare to and if she's being honest with herself, that's something she wants. Someone willing to go to the ends of the earth for her if they needed to.

The question of the Skyship pulls her attention and she whips around to face him, "It's next on the list, love. Just need help with getting the fountain purified. That's the last step before I can talk to her about our next quest." A gentle reminder that he offered to help with that part of things and Maeve was going to have to take it over now hat Aurelia was missing with no sign of being back.

"It's Deepfrost. We're resting before Longnight and the debauchery that comes with it." Speaking of debauchery... "I still owe you, by the way, but I'm sure you haven't forgotten."
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
It seems they're unintentionally taking it in turns to train with the impromptu driftwood dummy, and so Jack dutifully waits for Maeve to collect her arrow before letting another knife fly. This one only clips the wood, sending the blade ricocheting off against the pebbles, and the captain hisses out a curse and doesn't bother to fetch it. He'll collect it at the end. Instead he gestures for Maeve to go ahead and have her go.

"As madame of a brothel, I'd hope your expectations were appropriately low to begin with," he remarks, smirking to himself as he readies another blade, examining it for nicks and scratches. "Or don't you do that any more, now that you're queen?" he asks, still not liking the taste of the title in his mouth.

The reminder that he's going to help pUriFy tHe FouNtAin is both fair and unwelcome, and the captain grumbles under his breath. "Fine, fine. I know an old trick for that sort of shit. I'll be at your fancy court tomorrow at sunrise." He waves her off, like that should be enough to placate her.

As for debauchery, Jack can only scoff and raise his eyebrows. "Keen to get back in the saddle, mm?" he drawls. "I ain't forgotten, no. Didn't realise you missed me so bad."
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
She moves to collect her arrow, giving it a sharp tug to free it from the driftwood, examining the head as she moves back towards him for any apparent damage. Finding none, she knocks it back again, returning to her spot beside him and waiting for his own shot. She tuts softly when it misses and looses her own arrow with success, quickly firing off two more in a line by the first, letting out a soft sound of satisfaction when they hit.

"Of course they were, Captain. I know better than to get my hopes up." And she really does. Even if she needs a harsh reminder at times. Maeve rolls her eyes, "I still run and manage the Halenani. As for clients? I don't take many anymore. Don't have time for it." Not just because she's a queen and taking care of Torchline, but for various reasons. It was partly because of Locke, partly because she took over the Halenani, but now there was even less ability to move back. Even if she did miss simply being touched.

Maeve offers him a saccharine sweet smile, sauntering towards him, "That's all I ask. It won't take long. Then I'll help you get your Skyship. Go with you and talk to Safrin if you want." She vows, crossing her heart with the tip of finger.

"You should know better than anyone what it's like to go a season without someone to properly touch you." She retorts, no real heat in her voice. As for missing him? Well, perhaps she did, but he was a good fuck and she's lonely. "Only certain parts of you."
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
She tuts and he shoots her a lazy glare for her trouble, waiting until all of her arrows are safely in the driftwood before he takes aim again. This time he's not aiming for the wood, though, and when he lets the knife loose, it neatly lops off the shaft of one of her arrows. "Oops," he says, despite it being anything but an accident. Maybe Maeve has missed him being a shit, who knows?

Tittering to himself at her reasoning, Jack can only shrug and step forward to collect his knives and the two working arrows, handing them back to her once he returns to her side. (Ain't he a gent?) "No time for a tumble in the sand? That's a sad sort of life, love," he says, testing the sharpness of his blades and having to retire one of them for sharpening. The other he throws again, and this time it finds a home in one of the crevices previously occupied by an arrow.

"You sayin' you don't trust me to visit your starry eyed goddess by myself?" he says, sounding amused. Should Maeve try to lock and load another arrow, Jack will choose this time to reach out and give her ass a playful fondle. "Which parts? Roguish charm? Razor wit? Or just my cock?"
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
His glare makes her smirk, eyes sparking mischievously as the thrill of going toe to toe with someone like Jack swirls in her belly, sparking her interest to life. That's until he goes and ruins one of her perfectly good arrows. Maeve shoots him a scathing look, heat flashing through her gaze that has very little to do with anger, "Bastard." She hisses. Truth be told, she did miss this to an extent and that's part of what pisses her off so much.

The Nightshade takes her arrows back, huffing as she puts one back into her quiver, "You offering to rectify it, Captain?" She shoots back, arching a dark brow as she holds his gaze, the jade of her eyes seeming to have grown a touch darker. "It's not a matter of time. It's the who that's the problem." Before to sleep with a stranger was different, but now that she has a title and power... It's a new concern she's having to balance. Too many people willing and eager to take advantage of such things.

"It isn't that I don't trust you." It's part of it. "Just that I think you might have a bit more luck if I come along." And this is true. Safrin is particular and Maeve knows this. If she's there to help Jack along things might go more smoothly for the Captain.

Jack manages to get a handful of it, but the action has Maeve quickly spinning, producing a dagger from seemingly nowhere to press the flat of against his throat. There is no intention to hurt and this much is clear in the way her fingers curl into his shirt, holding tightly as she presses into his space, bow having fallen to the wayside in favor of this. "Let's not forget your tongue, love. That would simply be a disservice." Maeve purrs, tilting her chin up, lips parting as a practically wicked grin curls there.
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
"At your service," Jack drawls, quite happy to be the bastard in any and all situations. Besides, Maeve seems much more interested in talking matchmakers than driftwood at this point, and Jack has to give himself a mental shrug to hold her emotions at arm's length. "Don't reckon I can afford to fuck a queen these days," he retorts (despite how his actions are about to say otherwise). "Ought to get yourself some courtesans. Hear there's a lot of muscle in Torchline that'll happily stand around and look pretty for you."

Or maybe Maeve can start being a client at the Halenani. Who knows? It could work for her. "Well ain't that sweet? Maybe you can help me mind my p's and q's in front of Safrin," he agrees. Jack's never met a deity before, so who knows - maybe he does need to brush up on his etiquette. Only suddenly there's a blade against his throat and his hand's against the wrist holding it, ready and prepared to twist it away regardless of how the bones beneath might protest.

"That is considered one of my best features, it's true," he agrees, and if Maeve will allow, he'll tease the blade from her fingers so he can throw that, too, into the driftwood statue. "Bet you can't do that with an arrow."
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
At her service? Isn't that a thought. Suddenly the image of him on his knees and between her thighs flashes unbidden through her mind, unknowingly sharing that little fantasy with him, but it's gone at his next statement. Maeve huffs a soft laugh, rolling her eyes, "We both know that you'd find a way if you wanted it." The Nightshade retorts back and given the way things are about to go, he only proves her right. "Courtesans? What a turn of events that would be." Given that is the title she used to hold herself.

He continues to bait her and she takes it, "There are a lot of things I could help you mind." Maeve murmurs before she's moving to press the flat of her blade to his throat as he grabs a handful of her ass. He moves just as quickly as her. His fingers wrap around her wrist, ready to break it should she push, but she doesn't. The Nightshade simply holds it there, sharing his breaths and his heat, pressing closer to him.

"I would have to agree." Maeve drawls, glad to know they're on the same place with this particular line of thought. She does allow him to tease the blade from her fingers, feeling the rush of hair past her cheek as he tosses it, hearing the thunk of it sinking into the driftwood. "Don't need to." The Nightshade was moving while he was distracted, her fingers of her free hand suddenly at his belt, working one of his spare daggers free before she's turning to unleash her own borrowed weapon. It lands near his, a little lower than she might have shot for typically, but a sound hit all the same.

Maeve doesn't turn away from him, staying in his space, practically flush against him as her lips curl into a smirk. "See? Not necessary."
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
hellraiser
risk taker
It is a thought, but given how Jack has already prepared for Maeve's shenanigans, intentional or otherwise, he's a little more stoic against them. It is a good image, though. "It'd scratch an itch," he points out of the courtesans, and though she's right - there's rarely anything Jack can't figure out if he wants it enough - there's an argument for a queen being more trouble than she's worth, for all the reasons Maeve is already aware of. And Jack is on her council, gasp.

"You find anything you like down there?" he drawls, smirking at the hands that go reaching into his belt. Her throw isn't bad either, Jack following the pathway of the knife to see them both stick into the driftwood. "What a pretty and resourceful queen we have," he remarks, carefully disentangling himself from her to go and collect their weapons. "And good with an arrow and a blade, too."
full speed ahead
'til i'm dead
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
It would scratch an itch. She's only human, after all. To think she doesn't crave some form of companionship, be it only physical or not, would be naïve. Maeve is too distracted by prying the blade from his belt to say much else for it, rolling her eyes at his question, but playing along none the less. "A few things, actually." She retorts, loosing the blade and letting it land in the driftwood, satisfied with her little display.

"You know how I love it when you talk about me like that." Maeve allows him to untangle himself from her, bending to scoop up her bow, slinging it over her shoulder. "You should see me with my whip." Something newer that she was getting a grasp on, but the Nightshade grew closer to mastering it by the day.
Maeve