Mini Event [RQ] pulling the trigger
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
Isla

take your medicine

Isla has set everything up in the Town Hall for them to host the meeting. With the majority (almost all, she imagines) of the citizens being Ascended these days, there's no real need to provide refreshments, but she arranges it just in case. Those entering will find the meeting room well-lit for eyes both accustomed to seeing in the dark and not, as well as bottles of water and wine on a far table, and some fresh bread with cheese and preserves for those interested.

Once all have arrived, Isla (who has remained standing and has forgotten to take off her white doctor's coat, having come straight from the infirmary), offers a smile and jumps right to it. A public speaker she is not, but she will do her best.

"The Voice has offered to help us to make the Spire into a suitable defence, should it ever be needed," she says. "But this is not a dictatorship - I believe there should be a discussion around who should be able to trigger the Spire, and how it should happen. If anyone wants to open the floor with ideas, I'm happy to hear them."

Welcome to the Mini Event! This is open to all Grounders, and will cover the following RQ requirement:

3. A ME discussing how to trigger the attack (should leaders have a button, should there be a central switch someone anyone can press, should there be a tracking device you attach to someone so that it specifically targets them, etc etc)

We'll also be discussing who will be staying in the Hollowed Grounds and other logistical war stuff, weeeeee.

Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Cameron
Cam slipped into the meeting quietly, with a gentle greeting for Isla, but they certainly weren't going to start off the discussion. To be honest, they didn't have much preference on how the Spire weapon worked -- whatever the method, they doubted they'd be using it. Still, they'd come to the discussion because they wanted to know what was going on; it almost felt like their duty as an Ascended to at least show up and keep informed, even if they didn't have much to contribute. They took a seat towards the edge of the room and watched, waiting for someone else to give an opinion.

"Light painting" by kevin dooley is licensed with CC BY 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
With your big heart, you praise God above, but how's it working out for you, honey?
Bastien arrived a little late (hey, he was a leader, but he was still clinging onto the 'hedonistic, disenfranchised artist' title with a tight grip) and slipped into the front row before Isla, smiling at the table of food and drink on his way past. Humans had always been suckers for traditions, even when they were, as now, entirely unnecessary.

Isla gave the pitch and the room was quiet. Maybe they were shy to speak. Bastien, who had spent the last years inamong the people of the Grounds, stood and turned to the crowd. "Of course, we may yet receive information that changes our decision - for example, if the defenses can only be activated once. As we stand now though, I personally believe anyone Ascended should be able to activate the defence. Not to discriminate against those among us who are not with the Voice, but we are all well aware what an invading force would be here concerning." He glanced back at Isla to see her reaction to his words.

"I also believe it should not be restricted to only Isla and myself. If we are captured or killed early, it would leave the people we are meant to protect hopeless in our absence."
Do you feel loved?
Bastien
Base Code by Sky!
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MABEL

Mabel came in on the fringes and hinges of silence. Quiet, taking her seat, giving and granting a listening ear. She’d been all for the defensive procedures, of finding a use for the Spire besides its current intricacies, of imagining bolts of lightning striking at their enemies.

The hows and whys and whens hadn’t actually come into the picture in her mind. So as the notions were addressed, the youth stared, blinked, and listened. Would it be more beneficial for any of them to be able to control the switch? Would that lead to more issues – on those perhaps willing and able to fire at anyone and anything? For a moment, she hemmed and hawed, pondering the complexities of the situation. She’d sit on her hands for an instant, gathering more stratagems and possibilities from others too.
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
WESSEX
after all is said and done
you're just a carnivore
let you in and drink my blood
you're nothing but a monster

She’d been there when the decision had been made for something big. Something that takes a little longer to power up. Something that could do a lot of damage. Which means it needs to strike quickly and effectively.

Stepping forward to discuss it, the Wraith opens with a question. “It’s something that can deal a lot of damage at once, but will take a long time to recharge right? So if it’s to do us any good, it needs to be able to reach our greatest threat quickly. What if it’s a two-step activation? One to set it in motion and another to direct the strike. That way it isn’t a unilateral decision.”

Once she’d thought about it enough, Wessex had assumed that it might work best if she carried the target into battle. But there was another thing to consider. “And are we sure it won’t hurt Ascended when it goes off?” She has faith that the Voice wouldn’t create such a thing, but then their Lady had never shied away from ‘acceptable casualties’ before.
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai listened intently as the debate began. A defensive weapon of that magnitude needed to be handled carefully and effectively. Wessex brought up a valid concern. It was entirely possible that the device might be capable of harming Ascended. If so, being able to aim it was crucial. But timing would be a concern then.

Nikolai bit his lip, debating his options. Determination keeping his voice steady, he spoke up. "I agree that it'd be best if the device could be activated by any Ascended. A two-step process to allow the  user to aim it, is also a good idea. But if we do use that method, we need to make sure that both steps can be completed quickly. The last thing we want is for someone to activate it in the middle of conflict and then not be able to aim and fire."

An enemy could potentially step in and stop the second step after all.
Some lie in wait
For you to step into the shadows
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
A lonesome star, in a bitter sky, I hear the hungry ghosts calling out in the night
He’s a bit late for the meeting, but by the time he walks in he can gather what exactly is all talked about – aside from the fact he’d heard some of the thoughts bounced around by Isla before the meeting even began. So he slips in, hanging toward the side nearer to Wessex and on the side closest to Isla, he keeps his attention on the meeting at hand, figuring out if there were anything he wanted to add.

The mention of it hurting Ascended if it were to go off, though, does spark a brow to raise in Wessex’s direction, fully believing to trust that the Voice wouldn’t harm her creations versus harming those that wanted to snuff out their light. Nikolai has a good idea, though, and it’s along the same thought process Varus has. “A two step activation would take more time to get done and we’d need a way to contact one another in order to make sure the aiming was correct before firing it.” Agreeing with Nikolai with a nod, he reaches up with his metal hand, scratching at the scruff of his beard.

But it isn’t impossible with an item perhaps, and would make it more difficult for someone to come in and just do it without our knowing.” His gaze lifts to Isla then dances to Bastien. “I do think it’s a good idea not having it solely sit with you two though.” Given that they’re the leaders, incapacitating them first would be anyone’s first thought when it came to an invasion of sorts.
VARUS
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

They all file in, and Isla is a mixture of relieved and proud to hear their input. She seems to relax where she stands, nodding her agreement with Bastien - and with many of the other points, too. "So a two-step activation process that isn't fixed to myself or Bastien. So maybe an item that can be used by any Ascended, with an aiming mechanism within the Spire?" she suggests. "I will need to ask how long we will have between the Spire charging and it firing, to ensure that there are no mishaps."

Because, and this is important, as far as she is aware, the Spire's blast does not discriminate. "My understanding is that it will damage whoever is in the way," she tells Wessex with a small wince - perhaps that is something she ought to have considered beforehand. "Does this seem like a good idea so far? Perhaps we can keep the item within this Town Hall, and we will need to hold a vote prior to using it. Time permitting, of course."

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

Listening with a slight tilt of her head to all the voices - and then Isla’s, rounding it out - the General comes to two conclusions. The first is that she will likely need to be involved in this, if they’re to keep it from any Ascended casualties, and the second, that it could go one of two ways. “Okay, bear with me for a moment,” she asks the group, as she tries to explain the various scenarios that have run rampant in her head lately.

“First. Can we also find out the range of the attack?” Looking over at the Remedy, she drops the request in, as it also seems important. “Second. I can hear any Ascended in a region now, if they think at me,” she brings up quietly. It’s an expansion of a power that everyone there should be familiar with. “So as long as someone lets me know that it’s activated and I’m in the Grounds, I can pass it along. But my concern is that if everyone suddenly runs away, that’s an obvious sign that something is coming and they’ll scatter as well. Then we have to pick and choose - which is doable, but not ideal. Obviously we can’t prepare for every situation.” Pausing for a moment, she shrugs the tiniest shrug, “But as a side note, whatever we decide ought to maybe have a backup plan.”

Because as the all know, not everything goes according to plan.

“Third. As an alternative, what about a targeting device? It’s far more risky, but might be more accurate. I wouldn’t ask anyone to carry it except for me - or Loki." And that thought alone is enough to make her grimace. She'd do it - they'd both do it, if it would save the family. "But on other hands, there’s the possibility that I won’t be here, or able to do that and someone else would have to. I also don’t want to take this over. It belongs to all the Grounders.” So her gaze travels to those of them there who aren’t in a leadership position; they’ll have to think critically about this and decide what they think is the best strategy.
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Cameron
Cam hadn't expected to have much to say at the meeting, but when Wessex suggested a targeting device, they frowned and considered the idea for a moment. They weren't sure they understood what she was suggesting; if they did, well, they didn't like it.

"You mean something you'd carry that would tell the weapon to aim at you?" they said, breaking into the conversation with a soft, almost hesitant voice. "That ... doesn't seem like the best idea. I mean, I'm not fond of the idea of one of us actually having to be where the big laser or whatever is going to shoot, even if it's only for long enough to drop off the targeting thing and get out of range. Wessex, I know you can teleport, but it's still super risky -- and, like you said, what if you're not here?"

They hated the idea of Wessex, in particular, carrying around what was basically a giant "shoot me" sign. Of course, they probably would have said the same no matter who offered to carry the targeting device, but they knew Wessex best and, to be brutally frank, cared about her most. Though they also knew Wessex well enough to suspect she'd find plenty of other risks to take for her family.

"Also," Cam continued, their voice getting a little more nervous as they kept talking, wondering if they'd worn out their welcome, "if there's a device that tells the cannon 'shoot here,' I'd worry about someone stealing it and putting it somewhere we don't expect, then watching us go 'boom' when we triggered the weapon."

"Light painting" by kevin dooley is licensed with CC BY 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

It doesn't surprise her much that they hit a snag - this isn't really something that can be simply decided, or that there's a one-size-fits-all solution that will work. Still, Isla does find herself nodding encouragingly at Cameron, even as she smiles to Wessex. "He's right," she says softly. "Much as I would absolutely trust you with something like that, however blunt it might sound, you're too valuable to risk. And there's the risk that someone might steal it, yes." Extremists come in all shapes and sizes, and it wouldn't surprise her if someone was crazy enough to sacrifice themselves in order to cause damage to the Ascended.

"I can find out the range. And I agree that there should be an override - perhaps something within the Spire that can call off the cannon should things go wrong? Either way, I think the targeting should remain inside the Spire as well. That way someone needs to be there, and they can defend it as well as redirect or cancel it if needed."

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
you're just a carnivore

“Fair,” The General concedes with a tiny nod of acknowledgement. She hadn’t been aiming for that kind of praise, but it was nice to hear it all the same. And she does her best to keep a small smile from the corner of her lips.

The Remedy is kind and smart and though it feels like they’re building a lot of caveats and what-if’s into this thing, Wessex has to admit that they all sound important. “Okay...” she nods slowly, reiterating what they’ve gone over. “So we’ve got a system that requires two Ascended to activate in the Spire? With an emergency off switch just in case.” Is the Spire the best place to put it? She certainly doesn’t know. It’s central, but an obvious target. There’s the Ascended Safehouse, but...

“Let’s make sure whatever door leads to the system is thick. And lockable from the inside.” Grimacing at the thought that even that would do little in the face of say, Deimos’ mastered magic, Wessex sighs a little. Every path seems to have an obstacle stronger than them.

Will you let me know when you’re ready to go to the Voice again? she asks Isla privately. In case there are any last minute changes or considerations to make.
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai listens to the debate, trying to figure out the best way to implement such a volatile defense. "A two person system seems insufficient. What if only one us is able to get there in an emergency? Two-steps with an emergency kill-switch sounds like the safest way of going about it." If things really took a turn for the worse, getting two Ascended in place might not be possible, or if they do get up there, one might be forced to defend the other to get the defense activated.

Wessex's point has Nikolai nodding in agreement. "Lockable from the inside sounds good. Is there anyway to make it so that only Ascended could even go through the door?" Was such a thing even possible? It'd save a lot of stress if it were.
Some lie in wait
For you to step into the shadows
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

take your medicine

Isla nods between Wessex and Nikolai - good suggestions from both of them, and she holds the Wraith's gaze and offers a soft smile that might well seem as though it is merely a part of this meeting. I will, she assures her. Once everything in place, I will let you know and we'll go together, she says.

And then out loud, "So two steps, but not necessarily the need for two people. A killswitch, and everything centralised within the Spire, behind a door that can be locked from within. I imagine if necessary we can add additonal defences to the area once the weapon has been created." More like when necessary, but still.

"I will see if it is possible for us to have only Ascended be able to operate it. Or at the very least to gain access to the space." She nods. It's unlikely, honestly, but it never hurts to ask.

"That concludes this meeting then, I think," Isla says, raising her voice enough for the group to hear. "Thank you for attending. I want you to know that all of your opinions are important on this, and I am glad we could have a conversation about it."

~FIN