Please don't eat the bark
Open! Flora encounter: Peppermint Bark
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray was out in the forest of the Wildwood once more. Next on her list for the day was to gather peppermint bark for her quest. So yet again the herbalist found herself trudging through the snow and keeping her eyes on the trees. The Deepfrost air was cold and already had a bite to it, smothering the scent of peppermint somewhat. The Attuned had partially shifted so that she could better smell the trees, but even so she'd yet to find the bark.

With that failure, she'd dropped the shift and was simply relying on her normal senses at the moment. Delving deeper into the forest, she hoped she'd smell the minty bark soon, so that she could gather what she needed and go home to sleep.
In death
And in what comes after
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 62 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
the lullaby
kidnap me from my reality
& crushed pieces of my soul
Making no attempt to quiet the sound of snow crunching beneath his massive paws, the manticore trails in the footprints of the woman who seemed to be wandering through the Greatwood. Her eyes kept scanning the trees such that Remi thought she was not aimless, but searching for something. Even so, with all that had transpired over the past few seasons he was a touch wary of having those who did not live within the Woods, roam through them.

The pathways here can be tricky. He calls out eventually. Remi's mental voice was more thickly accented than his normal speaking voice was, but having already seen Ray's ability to partially shift, he judged she was likely an attuned and would be able to hear him like this. They move around, and not always in directions you want to go. Remi adds, folding his wings snugly against his flanks.

Is there something I can help you find?
colour me outside the lines
until my shattered heart is whole
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray first notices the sound of paws in the snow, turning around just as the voice calls out through the bond. The herbalist can't help the raise of her brows at the sight of a manticore. If Remi hadn't spoken first, she likely would have reached for her daggers. Instead she regards the stranger curiously, relaxing slightly in the presence of a fellow Attuned (as far as she's aware).

"Thank you for the warning. I'm Ray, nice to meet you." She'd heard rumors of how the Greatwood had a mind of it's own. Receiving confirmation was useful for sure. The offer of aid catches her by surprise and she lets out a surprised hum. "Would you? I'm on a quest to find peppermint bark at the moment. I haven't smelled any yet. Do you know if there's any nearby?"

Directions would speed up her search and then she could move onto the next piece of her quest.
In death
And in what comes after
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
I am Remi. The alchemist replies, his seaglass stare closing for a moment as he nods his large head in greeting. He doesn't add that these are his woods or anything more about himself; it both didn't matter, and perhaps was known already given that Ray hadn't asked him for his name. Perhaps she knew. Perhaps she didn't, it hardly mattered.

Quite a bit of it actually. Come this way, I can show you. So saying Remi pads forward easily, moving with elegance despite his large size. I would offer you directions but you still might not make it. He adds, tilting his head over his shoulder.

What is your quest for? He wonders as they meander through snow-heavy trees.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray gives a small nod, internally having to take a deep breath. She hadn't realized at first by just seeing the manticore. But the name is a different story entirely. The herbalist had heard quite a few stories about the Demi-god of Ludo, enough to be a bit wary. Still, she follows him without complaints. "Thank you."

Walking through the forest, Ray explains her mission. "I'm a herbalist and I run an apothecary in Torchline that doubles as an infirmary. With the coming war, I've been preparing as much as I can." She pauses, grim determination filling her. "I want to be able to help as many people as possible. To save as many lives as possible. So I went and asked Frey for help finding Rae's Lilies. The peppermint bark was one of the things they told me collect."

The mythical flower, should it have the healing properties from the rumors, would be invaluable. It'd likely save at least one life.
In death
And in what comes after
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
Being the sort of specific monster he was now, it had never occurred to Remi to try and prepare tinctures and potions or anything even remotely of the sort for the upcoming war. Tilting his head over his shoulder and appraising Ray with large green eyes, the manticore bares its teeth in an approximation of a smile. It is good that there are people like you, who have thought of such things. He says with a touch of amusement.

Oh I see. No luck finding them in the springs, then? He wonders, pausing just for a moment to scent the air before turning down a different path. I remember how difficult it was to find them before, when sickness had fallen over Caido again. Not the blight, but something else. Blight 2.0, perhaps.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray gives the manticore a grin, pleasantly surprised by the comment. "Thank you." The amusement is heard though the herbalist has a bit of trouble placing it's source. Were so little people preparing? Is that what was so funny? Pushing her musings to the back of her mind, Ray continues to follow Remi through the woods.

It's impressive how he navigates, changing paths without hesitation. As they walk, Ray continues the conversation. "Unfortunately no, though I expected that outcome. Something that rare and potentially useful is never easy to find." A small chuckle leaves her, though her mind drifts to the last time the flower was so desperately sought.

The herbalist lets out a small sigh. "That's part of why I'm looking for it now. Chances are that it'll be necessary for something during the war. If we already have it on hand, it will save time."  And lives. The war might not bring sickness, but Ray was willing to bet that it'd bring something that required the rare properties of Rae's Lilies.
In death
And in what comes after
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
Ahh, well. Remi replies with a soft shrug of his golden shoulders. In another time he would have offered his assistance, would have told her of the ways he and Ronin had used to find the lilies previously. He might have even offered to go and look for them himself on her behalf. But he was not that man anymore, and so instead he merely leads her toward her quest-item.

Eventually as they walk the trees take on a slightly different smell. From pine and moss suddenly to wintergreen and peppermint. Rearing up onto his hindlegs, the manticore scours one of the trees with his claws, releasing the most vibrant scent into the air. Breathing deeply, Remi closes his leonine eyes, letting his wings sag slightly. I do love that smell. He says to no one in particular, before letting himself fall back slightly that she might extract the curls of wood his claws have made, or get her own.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray takes in a deep breath as the scent of peppermint permeates the air. "It does smell nice." Taking out a bag, the herbalist begins to fill it with the curls that Remi extracted. The bag is about half full at this point so she takes a knife and strips a bit more off the tree to fully stuff the sack. After a pause she gives the tree itself a gentle, thankful pat.

Task completed, Ray steps back and returns the sack to her bag, sending Remi a grin. "Thank you for the help Remi, I really appreciate it. Do you need anything?" If the Demi-god wanted payment or needed an extra pair of hands, the herbalist was willing. He'd really helped her out so it was only fair. If not, Ray would head off for the day to get some rest and continue her quest in the morning.
In death
And in what comes after
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
It's this small act of kindness, the pat Ray gives to the tree, that cements her currently as being quite likable in Remi's mind. That will go along way, with the Greatwood. He rumbles approvingly. It's sentient, you know. He adds, glancing around and is if on cue, the trees seem to shiver and sway slightly, despite the lack of breeze.

Giving his large head a shake, the alchemist grins his appreciation. No, but thank you for asking. It's rare these days, that anyone does that. Understandable, given who and what he was, but still, he appreciated the kindness. All the moreso given she was a stranger.

If you can find your way out again, I will take my leave of you. So saying, if the herbalist indicated she needed the help—or the company—Remi would assist. If not, he would disappear back into the snowy shadows from whence he'd come.

~FIN <3