[se] in the spirit of the season
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX

It’s the sudden, bright burst that catches her attention,  otherwise Wessex might have continued on through the half-open door. Instead, she pauses and peers more intently at the wreath, eyes narrowing to discern just exactly what kind of plant it might be. Unable to recall anything like this in the Grounds, Wessex is curious - nay, borderline fascinated - and waits for it to emit another burst of light again.

Here the demigod can be found, seemingly deep in contemplation (hand on chin and everything), with a small sack of Ursur tusks casually thrown on her back. For trading, obviously. Or something like that - with the shopkeeper here or perhaps elsewhere, should Ray not be someone who can help. But if anyone had been watching the demigod approach, they would have seen her triple check the description of the place before getting distracted by the Venus Wreath.
there was a time that we were kind, but now
don't write me, you're not fooling anyone
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray perks up as the front door chime goes off, signaling a patient or customer. Quickly washing her hands she comes out from the back with cheerful, "Hello! Welcome to the Lunarium Apothecary. How can I help you today?" It's then that she notices the stranger's fascination with her door. Stepping closer, the herbalist's eyes widen.

"Oh. A venus wreath. That wasn't there this morning. I had no idea that they grew so fast..." Ray eyes the plant with wonder, pleased that such a creature had chosen her door to take root.

After a moment of observation, Ray comes back to herself. Chuckling slightly she turns to Wessex. "Ah sorry. I got distracted. I'm Ray. Welcome to my shop. Was there something in particular you were looking for?" The woman is a new face, clearly not from Torchline.
In death
And in what comes after
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX

“You and me both,” Wessex replies with a tight-lipped smile, reluctantly dragging her attention away from the Wreath after a moment. “I’ve never seen these in the Grounds. They’re really cool. Venus Wreath, you called it?” She’ll have to remember that. “Is it dangerous?” Like many of Caido’s beautiful things, it’s best to approach with caution until you know for certain it’s safe.

Indicating her pack with a jut of her chin, the tall blonde pauses briefly. “I’m actually looking for you. With an unusual request.” Taking a step that brings her thoroughly inside the threshold of the store, the demigod tries to keep it light. “But I don’t come empty handed.” No, she is well aware of Torchline’s customs and has a plan - and a backup plan - if need be.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
"To look at? No. But I don't suggest touching it unless you want to lose a finger. The leaves are actually traps that close on whatever they can. And then they secrete an incredibly powerful acid." Ray explained, grabbing a piece of paper and writing 'DO NOT TOUCH THE WREATH" in big letter and attaching it to her door.

Civil duty  covered, Ray turned to the Demi-god with a raised brow. "For me?" She vaguely recalled seeing this woman in passing but she'd never spoken to her. So for her to seek Ray out was odd. She gestured for Wessex to follow her. "Come on, let's talk in the back." She then led them both into the back of her shop and siting down at one of the tables in her workshop, gesturing for Wessex to do the same.

"First, mind telling me your name?"The herbalist's tone is friendly but has a mild tint of caution. She eyes Wessex curiously, wondering what it is that brings this stranger to her. And what she has to offer Ray.
In death
And in what comes after
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX

Fascinating,” Wessex exhales, giving the creature one last glance before stepping fully into the store and shutting the door behind her. Following Ray into the back, a curious gaze roams over the many jars of herbs and the presentation of it all. She’d never been in here before, but the smell is pleasant - and vaguely reminds her of one of the Grounds elders’ shacks when she was a kid.

Wessex sits where indicated and then offers her hand across the table. “I’m Wessex,” she says. “General of the Hollowed Grounds.” At this point it might be a bit unnecessary to add anything beyond her name, but it’s best to be upfront about things like this. No trying to hide who or what she is. “A bartender - Raza, I think? - mentioned you were Attuned. That’s actually why I’m here.” The bartender had also said she wasn’t sure if Ray would be willing to help, but in Torchline, everything has a price.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray took the offered hand without hesitation, giving a friendly shake. "Nice to meet you." Hearing that Raza had sent Wessex over was a surprise. As was the fact that the General of the Hollowed Ground was seeking her out because she was an Attuned.

With some caution, Ray regarded the Demi-god. "I am an Attuned, yes. Raza was right." She leaned forward, equal parts curious and wary. "What can I do for you Wessex? Did something happen?" Were the Ascended ok? The war hadn't started and she hadn't heard anything.

A thought occurred that had Ray growing further concerned. "Are Nate and Sunjata ok?" That would be a reasonable cause for Wessex's presence at least. Nate had been a customer and he'd sent prescriptions to be filled at Ray's pharmacy. He was pretty much a friend. It wasn't too difficult to imagine a circumstance where he asked Wessex to pick up supplies from Ray.
In death
And in what comes after
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX

“Oh, yes. As far as I know, they’re fine.” she flashes a quick, reassuring smile to the Herbalist; almost as surprised by the question as Ray is to find the General there. But it does give her a bit of an opening. And it lets her know that the woman is not adverse to all Ascended.

“To preface, I know this is an odd request. But I am in charge of a number of people who are not like me and don’t wish to be. They’re not fighters. They have much kinder spirits and inclinations and I just want them to be able to defend themselves, or run away if need be. And I was hoping…” here she pauses, trying to feel out what Ray’s reaction might be before she continues on, “that you might be willing to lend me a predator shift, so I can show them just how fast they need to run, or that trees aren’t a good place to hide, and what claws can do. Without having to, you know, expose them to an actual molten tiger or something similar.”

Though Wessex need not breathe, she seems to wait on bated breath for the Torcher’s response, already trying to drum up a plan C in her head, ‘just in case.’
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray relaxes somewhat to hear that Wessex hasn't come bearing ill news of that sort. But no amount of foresight could have helped her predict why the Demi-god was actually here. There's a moment of silence as the herbalist processes and debates the request. Of course she was willing to help mitigate casualties but it felt strange to know that someone might use her shift. That they could use it to harm others.

Eyeing Wessex appraisingly, Ray considers the woman. Something in her gut tells her that Wessex is being honest about why she needs a shift. But to let a stranger bite her was another matter entirely.

It's another few heartbeats before Ray sighs and gives a quick nod. "Alright, I'll help." The herbalist smiles playfully, teasing  to settle her own nerves. "That's the only thing I dislike about the Ascended. I can't fucking heal them. So if this helps save lives, I'm all for it."

Sitting back, Ray explains Wessex's options. "I have two predator shifts a panther and a bush viper. You're free to take either but if you choose the viper be careful. It's highly venomous." She knew Ascended couldn't get sick but the herbalist couldn't recall if they could be poisoned or not. Even if they could, if anyone else was bit, they'd die.

With some hesitation, Ray holds out her wrist to the Demi-god as she takes a steadying breath. "I've never been bit, so... does this work?"
In death
And in what comes after
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX

Some line of tension in the General visibly relaxes once the herbalist agrees - she bows her head for a moment and then dredges up the most sincere pair of words she can. “Thank you. I really appreciate it.” And the gift would not be without reward.

As far as biting goes - well, Wessex understands Ray’s hesitation.

“Of course. It won’t hurt at all. In fact, it might even feel good, but that can differ from person to person in the circumstances. I don’t need much, so it should be fairly quick.” Wessex stands and comes to the side of the table so that Ray doesn’t have to stretch so far. Though she's already been given permission, Wessex waits again for a non-verbal go-ahead before starting. Gently reaching for the offered wrist, the Wraith cradles it before easing her teeth into the delicate skin and doing her best to take only what is needed.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray nods her consent and braces herself slightly, "Go ahead." Knowing it might hurt to do so, she forces her tense muscles to relax as Wessex goes to bite. To her surprise, the Demi-god is right. It doesn't really hurt all that much but instead does feels a little nice. The odd sensation of her blood being drawn paired with a foreign warmth almost. It's a unique experience for sure but Ray relaxes into it.

To pass the time as Wessex takes what she needs, the herbalist simply watches curiously. She'd never seen an Ascended feed from someone before, much less expected to be one offering up their blood. The herbalist turns an inquisitive eye on the situation, observing it from a medical standpoint and mentally taking notes of information. The warmth is a bit distracting but Ray still tries to get what information she can.
In death
And in what comes after
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX

Wessex is half oblivious to being observed and half aware, and the part that is aware is too preoccupied with drinking for her to do anything about it. Or change her ‘feeding habits’ (are we calling it that? I guess we’re calling it that) to be more sanitized.

The demigod pulls away and delicately wipes her mouth; a small amount of Ray’s blood pools in the picture marks, but otherwise there’s no indication that she’s going to bleed out or lose any significant amount of blood. A quiet hum of consideration is given to the two shifts she now has access to - as she reaches for the bag of Ursur tusks brought with her.

“And as promised - a couple of Ursur tusks if you want them. Can you use them for anything?” she asks, unsur of their properties beyond super sharp, serrated stabby things.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray stands and grabs a bandage from a nearby drawer before returning. Wessex's assumption is correct that the bleeding will stop soon, but it's more of a habit at this point for the herbalist to tend to any and all injuries.

Eyeing the ursur tusks, Ray holds them with open curiosity. "Thank you. I don't know if they have any medicinal properties but I can certainly use them. If not directly, I'm sure they'll trade at the market for some of the more hard to acquire herbs." Ursur tusks were certainly a rarer commodity in Torchline. An herb merchant or two was bound to want a pair. And if not, Ray could always use another knife.

Taking the tusks, Ray places them on a nearby shelf for safe keeping before smiling at Wessex. "I hope you can make good use out of my shifts." A slightly mischievous tint emerges. "It's a bit too fun to knock people's legs out from under them with my leopard shift. That tail is sturdier then it looks."
In death
And in what comes after
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX

Despite Ray’s willingness and generosity, Wessex still has some lingering doubts. She is businesslike, efficient, and thought the transaction done. Which is why the herbalist’s advice - joke? - surprises her. Raising her brows and making an amused face, the demigod huffs a quiet chuckle.

“Good to know.” And then she softens and lingers a moment before leaving. “Thank you again. Should you need anything, find one of my brothers or sisters and they’ll get a message to me.” Perhaps the Ursur tusks will be enough and their brief, brief relationship will end there. Or perhaps the war will throw them together again. Either way, as the General exits, she sends a brief prayer to the Voice, letting her know that there is at least someone out there who is still good.

{Fin}