do not go far from me
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Time is such a weird thing. It seems to pass so slowly and so quickly all at once. She never noticed it before. Not until Edmund was born. He was growing so quickly. Already beginning to walk and manage a few small words. It's part of why she's trying to carve out more time with him. She isn't working as late or staying out as long. Her time is split between the court, the Halenani, and him as well as she can manage. Today is one of those days she's decided to let the work be for now and steal away with her son to the coast.

The weather has snapped back to warm and it'll likely be one of the last few days they'll have like this before the chill really sets in. Maeve has taken him down to the Rainbow Road, having packed a little picnic for them to enjoy together, thinking the sunshine will do both of them good.

Maeve set him down, holding onto his waist as she crouched, catching his gaze. "You stay close to Mummy, okay? I'm just going to spread out our blanket and get us set up." She murmured, smiling as she reached up to smooth back his already wild curls, pressing a kiss to his forehead. Aidon is circling above them, keeping an ever watchful eye over his bonded and her baby, not daring to let either of them out of his sight. The Nightshade released Edmund, instructions clear and boundaries set, turning to focus on their picnic.

Her back is turned for no less than five minutes as she spread out the blanket and set out their meal, placing one the book she brought to read to him to the side along with the jar of honey butter for their tea cakes, a bottle of juice joining the other goodies shortly after. It isn't until she straightened up, turning around to look for her companion and her son that she realized they were no where in sight, panic welling up so quickly she's dizzy with it. "Edmund!"

Maeve called out frantically, reaching for Aidon along their bond, sending a command to return with the child in tow as she started down the coast at a quick walk that soon turned into a run.
If you're a lover, you should know
The lonely moments just get lonelier
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
Cool guys don't look at explosions, even if they're imaginary
Edmund wrapped his arms around Aidon's neck, squishing his face against the dragon's scales. "Mummy's going to be upset. But thank you for helping me." He gave the companion one last pat on the snout as he pulled away. It was at that moment that he heard Maeve's desperate call.

The young child turned worried eyes on the dragon. "Oh no! We we're too slow! Come on!" With that, Edmund bent down to retrieve his prize and then raced over to where he'd left his Mum behind. He hoped he hadn't scared her too badly. "I'm sorry mummy! I had to go grab something!"

As he approached, Edmund skittered to a stop in front of Maeve, giving her a sheepish smile. "But look! Aren't they pretty?" The Abandoned held out his hands, revealing a collection of rainbow stones. "I had to go get some!"
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

At feeling his bonded's worry the dragon was quick to try and heard Edmund back towards his mother, but the newly aged boy had other ideas. Mainly collecting rocks. So Aidon did the only thing that was reasonable and stayed, keeping a close eye on the boy until he found what he wanted, deciding it was time to head back towards Maeve.

Except Maeve was already frantic, rushing down the beach towards them due to a drive that even she couldn't truly understand beyond what it was. Motherly instinct. The Nightshade picked up the skirt of her dress, tripping over her feet as she sprinted through the sand, only to come to a halt at the sight of a small child. If it wasn't for his wild curls and Aidon beside him she wouldn't have believed it was her son. How? She blinked, brows knitting together and mouth falling open, "Petite étoile?" Maeve breathed in disbelief, dropping to her knees and gathering the boy into her arms, hugging him close before she drew back to hold his face between her hands.

"Oh.. Those are lovely, darling." She breathed, looking at the outstretched hands, smiling softly at the small collection of stones held in pale palms. "But please stay closer next time, alright? Can you do that for me, my starlight?" Maeve brushed back his curls, leaning forward to press another kiss to his forehead, still trying to turn over the fact that her baby wasn't a baby anymore.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Edmund didn't realize why his mummy seemed confused. "Yes, mummy?" How could he have known that suddenly growing was such an odd occurrence? Edmund placed a few beautiful green stones into Maeve's hands. "These are for you mummy!" He held one out to her cheekbone proudly, "They look like your eyes!" Sure enough, the color was spot on. There were a few other identical stones in Edmund's pocket. Those were for him though.  

The child giggled when his mum kissed his forehead, smiling sheepishly at her concern. "Sorry mummy. I'll be more careful. I just wanted to surprise you with the pretty stones." Edmund was too little to make a present in time for the season so this was the best that he could do. At least Maeve seemed to like the stones he'd brought.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

His voice, unmistakably colored by her accent, his blue grey eyes that had the same flecks as her own, and his pitch black curls that were reminiscent of his father's with her coloring. All of it pointed to him being her son. Even if it made very little sense for him to suddenly be so large. Her eyes drifted past his face and over his shoulder towards the shrine that rested on the road. Frey. That must be it. Maybe a spirit? She'd have to ask Phoebe.

"They do, don't they? How lovely. Thank you, petite étoile." Maeve took the offered stones from him, tucking them away into her own pocket before she straightened up, taking his hand to lead him back towards their picnic. "It's alright. You just worried me. Come sit. Tell me what happened." She instructed gently, taking a seat on the spread out blanket and patting the spot beside her before beginning to make him a small plate.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
It makes Edmund preen to hear that Maeve likes the stones. "You're welcome mummy!"  

He happily sits down next to his mum when asked, eagerly eyeing the plate she's making. It all looks so delicious! After a second he processes Maeve's question and begins his tale. "So I was looking for the stones! And I saw that there was a path with even brighter ones! They were so colorful mummy, the air was shiny and colorful too!" Edmund describes the path with bright eyes, gesturing excitedly.

"And then on the path there were those green stones and then I just had to pick them up. So I did. And now everything is smaller." Edmund eyes his mum curiously. "Why is everything smaller?" The reality of what had happened was lost on the child. He was just happy that he could properly hug Aidon and his mummy now.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve listens closely to his tale as she makes him a small plate of crackers, cheese, fruit, and meat for him to nibble on. The path he describes is clearly the one to Frey's shrine, but there is no mention of the herald themselves. It seems that simply being near it triggered the event. Interesting. She purses her lips, brows knitting together for only a breath before she smiles down at him, passing him the plate and reaching up to smooth back his curls. "Well, my starlight, you used to be smaller too. This place is home to Frey's shrine and if I had to guess they made you grow." She explains, not expecting him to fully understand, but not bothering to keep things from him. There was no sense in that.

"And you're going to keep growing, but I imagine at a much slower pace now." The Nightshade chuckles, leaning over to press a kiss to his forehead, "What do you remember, petite étoile? From when you were little?" Her curiosity getting the better of her. Clearly he remembered her, but what about Locke?
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund listens with wide eyes as his mummy spoke. "I used to be smaller? Oh! So I'm bigger so everything looks smaller? Is that it?" That made sense.. kind of. He was about to ask why he was big now but his mum beat him to it. So going near a shrine had made him grow.

"Frey? Who are they? What are they like?" The name sounded vaguely familiar like he'd heard it before but nothing was coming up. Another name did though, Safrin. Safrin seemed to come up a lot too but they also didn't' have a face in his mind. But the name did bring up the vague sensation of warmth, almost like a hug.

Maeve's question got a hand on his chin and a tilt of his head. Closing his eyes, Edmund thought, what did he remember. "I remember mummy and Aidon of course." Icey wind and jingle bugs, "I remember playing in the snow with Auntie Ray." He pauses the memories of laughter and playful kisses making him smile. "Uncle Harper too. Can we go see him soon?" Another person comes to mind the longer he thinks. Strong arms, a sad heart. "I think I remember Beastie? Is he still sad? He was really sad mummy."

Edmund pauses, something aching in a way he couldn't explain as he strains his mind to recall one last person. "And Papa. I remember Papa a little. He felt sad too. Where did he go? Did he leave like Safrin did?" Safrin had left after he met her, maybe it worked the same way with his Papa?
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve huffs a soft laugh, the sound only lasting a breath as she nods at his questions, "Yes, that's it. You grew a lot very quickly. That's okay, though. Frey makes sure it's done right." That there weren't any side effects from such a thing. That all the proper developmental things happened. Ever curious, Edmund continues with his questions, letting his curiosity bubble out of him freely, "Frey is a herald. They are one of the Old Gods. They represent a lot of things in our world. Nature and pleasure and a number of other things." Things that Edmund didn't need to worry about right now. Not at this age.

"They change based on who is before them. They don't always look the same, but that's just how they are. Depending on which side of them you're seeking they can act a bit differently, but they value life most importantly." She explained, not letting her own feelings about Frey jade her as she spoke, knowing that her one run in with the herald wasn't the basis of a proper opinion.

The Nightshade fell quiet as Edmund began to recount the few things he recalled. The snow with Ray. Jingle bugs and ice castles. Harper in the garden and the promise of seeing him soon. "We can see him soon. He'd be more than happy to visit." She murmured before letting him continue, swallowing thickly at her nickname for Sunjata, dipping her head in acknowledgement. "That's Mr. Sunjata. He used to be governor here, but he moved to be with his family so he could try not to be so sad anymore." Maeve shifted closer to him, drawing Edmund into her lap as her throat grew tight, tears threatening to prick her eyes. The tell-tale burning already beginning to sting as she attempted to keep them at bay.

She drew in a trembling breath, shaking her head, "I'm afraid not, bug. Papa didn't leave like Safrin did." Maeve began, trying desperately to think of the best way to answer this, not wanting to spoil the few precious memories Edmund had of Locke. There was one thing Maeve knew for certain. Locke loved them. He loved her and he loved their son. Even if he struggled. That never changed. Still, she had no answer for where he went or why he left. Not really. "He loved you very much, my starlight. He wanted to be here with you, but he couldn't stay. Sometimes that happens. The world makes it hard to stay even when you want to." Maeve swallowed thickly against the lump in her throat, tears finally slipping down her cheeks as she held her son close, rocking him gently.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund nods, not fully understanding how it all happened, but getting enough. Frey was a goddess of nature and being near her had made him big. That was simple enough to grasp but it only opened up more questions. Before he could ask mummy talked about all of the people from his memories. Edmund was excited to see Harper again and hopefully he'd be able to see Mr. Sunjata again too. Mr. Sunjata might need another hug, moving might not have been enough.

The tears and obvious distress of his mummy make all of Edmund's thoughts screech to a stop. "Mummy?" He asked, voice shaking in response to his mum's heartbreak. This was even harder for the child to understand. His papa loved him but still left? He wanted to stay but couldn't? How did that even work?

Edmund bit his lip, sniffling slightly. "So papa is not coming back?" Maybe he wasn't understanding? Maybe it wasn't true? At the moment all the child felt was sadness and grief, longing for his papa. In a few years when he could actually understand what had happened and why Locke had left, that might change. It was possible that the sadness would turn to rage, but only time would tell.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her sweet, sweet boy. He looked up at her with pale blue eyes, flecks of grey coloring his irises as his dark brows drew together in concern, voice trembling as he spoke. Maeve held him all the tighter, cradling him against her chest easily despite the fact that he'd grown to the size of a small child, lips pressing against his temple as she did so. It broke her heart even more to explain this to her baby. For a brief moment her mind flashed back to what Sunjata had told her to do. The lies that he suggested and she almost wished that she'd done just that, but it wouldn't have done him any good in the long run.

Maeve drew back to cup his cheek in her hand, brushing her thumb across his pale skin as she shook her head, sniffling along with him. "I don't think so, starlight. We can hope he does, but we must not let it keep us from living. I know it's hard to understand, but your Papa... He only wanted what was best for us and he might have thought this was the best." Maeve didn't pretend to understand and she didn't expect Edmund to either. How could he? The best thing for them would to be a family, but that wasn't the choice that Locke made.

The Nightshade leaned forward, pressing a kiss to his forehead as she drew him into a tight hug, "But I promise, I won't ever leave you, my darling. I'll always be here for you. Always." She murmured, cradling him close as she made her vow to him, knowing it wouldn't be hard to keep.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund turns slightly, tightly wrapping his arms around his mummy. It's an attempt to comfort her as much as himself. He may be new to childhood, but the little Abandoned already knows that he hates to see his mummy upset.  Listening to his mummy speak only confuses Edmund further. His papa leaving was what was best for him? How?

"How mummy? How can papa leaving be better?" It makes zero sense. Tremblingly slightly, Edmund nuzzles further into his mummy's arms as she promises to do the opposite. Swallowing harshly, determination fills the child. "Never. I'll never leave you either mummy. I'll find you if you get lost, ok? I promise."
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I know it doesn't make sense, Edmund, but your papa thought that... Well, he thought that he wasn't very good for me and that being with me would hurt me. Maybe even hurt you. The last thing he would ever want to do is hurt us. He loved both of us more than anything. I don't know why he left, starlight, but he had to of had a good reason." It was what she kept telling herself even as the anger replaced the worry she'd felt. Maeve wanted desperately to believe that Locke was better than that. He wouldn't have just abandoned them. Surely he wouldn't have done that. Not after he promised. Not after coming back home. The thought of being left again was too much for the Nightshade.

Her son makes his own vow and she has to choke back her sob as she clutched him to her chest, pressing another kiss to his unruly curls, "How did I get so lucky to have you as my son, huh?" She said with a watery laugh, drawing back to brush his own tears off of his cheeks, cupping his face between her palms.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund still doesn't understand, not at all. But his mummy seems to have accepted the situation so he'd do his best to do the same. "Ok mummy." He finally whispers after a moment, burying his face into her arms.

When Maeve chokes on her emotions, the child's head shoots up in concern. Her words however make Edmund smile through his tears, "Well of course it's because I'm your son, mummy." The statement is made with all of the confidence of a six year old who has already figured out the secrets of life. Edmund tightens his grip, "We'll be ok mummy. I promise." He'd make sure of it.
EDMUND