one skip ahead of my doom
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

There were likely better places to do this. The beach, through the streets of Haulani, the docks, or any number of venues. Except none of them offered the same challenge. She was meant to get faster. To grow more agile. What better place to practice than here? One wrong step and she could fall. Not being fast enough wasn't an option. Safrin likely didn't mean it so literally, but the Nightshade was nothing if not thorough.

She takes a deep breath, readying herself, eyes narrowing as she quickly figures out a path. Her years of dance and training pay off as she flits from vine to vine. Branches that weren't visible before suddenly becoming a place for her to step. Fingers wrap around a vine as she leaps, muscles bunching and cording before she finds her footing, lifted into the air by the vine. Just as quickly it attempts to drop her and she manages to find a sturdy surface in the form of another thick root.
No one wants you when you have no heart
and I’m sitting pretty in my brand new scars
Azure Evren
Pickpocket

Age: 22 | Height: Tall-ish | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: - Strg: 9 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Nell Offline
Change author:
MP: 85

Azure

If you are a dreamer a wisher a liar
If you're a pretender come sit by my fire

The Oerwoud was unlike anything she’d seen. Its vibrancy truly came to life through a bird’s eyes, revealing a hypnotic display that pulled Azure into its depths.

She was playing in the vines, her light form fluttering between them with ease. Lost in the pursuit of the next unusual creature, she almost flew into a coiling vine when something large and heavy rustled the canopy.

Charcoal eyes spread wide searching for the source of the disturbance. Her pulse picked up, pattering as she jumped back several branches over. Remembering to spread her wings and fly up, she caught a glimpse of the shape moving below before a retreating vine blew past her, almost knocking her out of the air. Instead of a huff, she let out an annoyed chirp before flapping her wings harder towards an opening in the canopy. Landing on a branch, wary of the surrounding vines, she finally got a good look at the source of the noise and bustle. A woman, lithe and pale, swung between the vines. Azure cocked her head and watched.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Unaware that she's being watched, Maeve continues her dance through the thick boughs of the trees. Vines try their best to entangle and ensnare, but Maeve is faster than they are. With a grace that's almost inhuman, the Nightshade flows through her movements, a wraith through the trees as she seems to harmlessly slip through the vines as they grasp at her. Never able to catch her despite the speed at which they move.

Finally she finds a resting place against the trunk of a tree, back bracing as she pulls her canteen off of her hip, taking a deep drink as she catches her breath. There is sweat beading along her brow despite the cooler temperatures that have settled across majority of Caido. With deft fingers, her hair is twisted up into a messy bun and secured so it remains out of her face, jade eyes quickly taking stock of her surroundings.
Azure Evren
Pickpocket

Age: 22 | Height: Tall-ish | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
How can you remain, Staring at the rain, Maddened by the stars?

Fluttering forward through a drapery of leaves Azure spied on the performance. The woman wrestled with the covetous jungle with unusual grace, predicting the vines' movements and thrusting her body out of their grasp. Traversing the vines required a keen intuition and forethought. One needed strength to hold on to the vines, and agility to swing between them. And more than anything, it looked fun.

When the dance was over Azure picked out a low and stable branch and shifted back into her human form, almost swaying out of balance as the wood creaked under her weight. Regaining equilibrium with practiced ease, she let out a bird-like whistle of appreciation. "Not bad." She brushed a stray strand of hair out of her face, her eyes conveying interest and little else.
Azure
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve's head snaps towards the whistle, narrowing as her hand instantly drops towards the dagger on her hip before she pauses, taking in the sight of the girl who is no more than eighteen. She drops her hand to her side instead she lets it curl around a loose vine, keeping herself steady as she balances on the balls of her feet, almost rocking up on her toes. "Thanks. I don't think we've met." There weren't many people who didn't know who she was now given her position in Torchline, but she hasn't seen this person before. At least not that she remembers.

"I'm Maeve." She offers, willing to extend a hand, but here is more than arms length of distance between them and she's unwilling to attempt moving if it means dancing through the vines again. While she could do so easily, the Nightshade wasn't ready to attempt it just yet, letting herself rest for a moment.
Azure Evren
Pickpocket

Change author:

Azure had had much practice startling people in this manner, but she still couldn't help the quiver of the lip that came at the sight of an unsuspecting victim's face. And this time it was a queen's face. She'd only seen Maeve once, in passing, and remembered wondering how the monarch maintained her tan under Torchline's unrelenting sun. Did she have dockhands follow her around with sunshades all day? Is she secretly a highly evolved Ascended? Does she bathe in chalk and plaster?

Just as Azure had heard, the jungle truly did support an amazing variety of creatures, Maeve being among the more interesting she'd seen that day. "I'm Azure," she replied, "I imagine you don't spend a lot of time in the slums and alleyways? Probably why you missed me." She leaned forward, letting her arms hang between her legs, unafraid of the possibility of falling. "Has the burden of leadership become too cumbersome and you've decided to run off into the jungle and join the monkeys?", she asked blithely.
Azure

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
grey skies are gonna clear up
That was a very rude question, now wasn't it?

And you know what they say...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all...

There is a POP! followed by the sound of lips smacking obnoxiously together. Until the end of November, anytime Azure tries to say something rude/snarky/disrespectful/etcetc, the words will instead come out sugary sweet.
put on a happy face
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve doesn't typically have a temper. She's not one to quickly anger or lash out. However, this interaction goes south so utterly quickly that Maeve has to fight not to curl her lip back in a snarl. She fails, eyes narrowing dangerously, "It's where I grew up. I don't avoid it now and I didn't then. Perhaps you should do your research before you judge, petite fille." And if the words aren't laced with a bit of that poison she's named for. "I'm here to train. Nothing more. Nothing less."

Her balance never falters as she rocks on her feet, preparing herself for the next leap as she begins to chart a path in her mind for the clearest way to go. Perhaps so she can get close enough to knock that grin from the other girl's face. She's not in the mood for playing. Not today.
Azure Evren
Pickpocket

Change author:

The queen was somewhat high strung. No wonder, Azure thought. It was like grandma used to say, "Put a crown on a person's head and all it does is strain the neck and inflate the ego." She huffed when words meant to tease rather than sting turned the queen's face predatory. Like when a shopkeeper catches you with a hand in her pocket.

There was no helping it. Some people offend easily. Wondering briefly whether there was something about her worthy of study, she dismissed the thought with a curve of the lips, deciding that there was no need to coddle the monarch. Especially now that insults had been exchanged. Granted, Azure didn't know what petite fille meant, but she could translate the look on Maeve's face well enough.

"Pardon me your majesty, I didn't know," you were slum trash too, "about your circumstances." Something in her voice broke and eerie sweetness seeped in, uninvited. Her brows knitted together as she took a breath and felt a shudder softly creep up her arms. What came over her? She got a hold of herself, plucking a small leaf from the tree she sat on and rubbing it between her fingers, letting the motion soothe her.

"You've got-", She took a deep breath and tried once again to push out the words stuck in her chest like thick glue. Her nail began to dig into the leaf in her hand. You've got thin nerves for someone trying to wrestle this jungle. "You've got to be exhausted from wrestling the jungle." Breaking the green meat, the nail dug into her index finger.

Careful that it doesn't trip you up like I did. "Please be careful on the way back."

The vines feed on irate passengers. "The vines are unkind to passengers."

She tried to hold back any reaction as these foreign words sweetly unfolded but it was doubtless that a glimmer of panic appeared in dark hazel eyes.

She didn't care about the jungle-wrangling monarch anymore. She was disinterested in playing in the vines. Something was very wrong.
Azure
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

She wasn't in the mood. Not any longer. Whatever poorly held control the queen had over her emotions was quickly waning. She didn't have it in her to entertain little girls intent on hurling insults. Maeve didn't have to know she was cursed to realize that the sudden sweetness in the other girl's voice was not of her own doing. Her lips pressed into a thin line even as a strained smile curled on her lips. A twisted part of her satisfied at the discomfort of the other before her.

"Same to you. Would hate to hear that another had been claimed by this place." She replied, tone cool and clipped, chin tipping up a fraction. Her jade gaze looked the girl over once more before she turned and slipped back into the greenery, intent on heading home. There would be more time to train later.

~FIN~