don't threaten me with a good time
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
Mateo
Should'a seen what I wore
I had a cane and a party hat
"Ever, you're being a robot," Mateo mumbles, a smile in his voice, however muffled it might be by the pillows. He's already nuzzled down beneath the blankets, regarding Ever's outline in the darkness. "I can hear the cogs in your brain turning. Just try to relax, okay? You told me before that your body needs the rest after stuff like what happened tonight." Not that he knows what to really do other than feed that information back to his friend.

"Oh - happy engagement, by the way." He can't help it, grinning and turning over so he's not facing the other man any more - that at least might help Ever to melt out of his insecurity (hahaha, pull the other one Mateo). "Tomorrow, we can order in healthy breakfast. Something with avocado..."
I was the king of this hologram
where there's no such thing as getting out of hand
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Everest
“Sorry.” Ever replies automatically. Rest is what he needed. Or to play something mindless like Tetris to let his subconscious process things while his conscious mind was focused on some easy task. Only...even that felt like too much right now.

The woman looked like my mother. Ever thinks, loudly, as if by some miracle Mateo might have suddenly become telepathic. The thought of reaching out and taking his friend’s hand only has a few seconds to try and take root before the florist is rolling over and removing the option entirely. It’s probably for the best; Mateo would likely have accepted the gesture easily enough, but then Ever would have been fixated on how long to hold it for, how hard, and whether or not his hands were getting sweaty.

“Happy engagement.” Ever parrots, feeling all the more self conscious for being in the same bed as Mateo. Did...the other man actually think they were engaged? Is that why he’d just...come in and set up his things in Ever’s room? Because they should be sleeping together now?

“Avacado. And Spanish rice.” The paramedic agrees.
even if i had to lose you to know you,
i'd still be that temporary phase that you grow through
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Mateo
"And eggs," Mateo finishes, smiling to himself and already thinking about breakfast as he closes his eyes, though an arm does flail out to bat at the blankets as Ever apologises again. That's about all the reproach he'll get, though; the florist is more than used to sharing a bed with someone (even if it is usually post-sex), and their combined heat after the cold panic of the street is more than enough to swaddle him in comfort.

So as Ever turns over the implications of a casual joke, he'll likely hear as Mateo's breathing grows deeper and feel it as his body relaxes completely into the (very comfortable, by the way) memory foam mattress. And really, that should have been that, except the florist hadn't been lying about his bedroom habits.

He's only barely awake as he flops back over, seeking out the warmth of another body in the darkness and snuggling against Ever's side. Malleable and relatively easy to shove out of bed move, he's nonetheless the equivalent of a snoozy hot water bottle in the moment.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
Despite the florist’s permission to shove him away, Everest of course would do no such thing. As Mateo spins and snuggles, the paramedic stiffens even more than he already had been, holding his breath until warning pulses of blue blared from his lungs. Closing his eyes and reminding himself over and over again that this was just Mateo, that he was just asleep, and that none of this meant anything, Ever felt the growing urge to either scream and carve himself out of his skin, or, even worse, to pull the other man closer.

He didn’t actually want to (cuddle, that was, he’d happily disembowel himself to avoid this feeling), but he couldn’t help but think everything in the moment was saying he should.

Swallowing hard and opening his eyes, Ever turns his head just a fraction, peering down so hard that he could feel the muscles of his eyes straining, to try and see if Mateo’s eyes were open or not. The boneless weight and rhythmic breathing suggested the other man was very much asleep, but...well, Ever had to know.

m a t e o.” Ever whispers, hardly doing more than breathing the other man’s name.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo
Another minute or so and Mateo would never have answered, but Ever catches him on a knife edge between sleeping and waking, and as he breathes out his name, the florist squirms and peels his eyes open. "Mmm...?" He tilts his head up, unable to see the other man but for the shaft of moonlight that paints him in shades of silver. "Oh, sorry," he mumbles, starting to extract himself from around the paramedic, even if he's unfairly comfortable where he is.

"I'll buy you a pony or something," he says, though it's unlikely that he'll remember that in the morning. Ever probably hates ponies anyway. "You should count back from a hundred. Heard that helps..."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
That wasn’t what he’d intended, but given how little of this Ever was intentionally orchestrating, that shouldn’t be too much of a surprise. “No, I just....” Clenching his teeth together again and again such that he’d likely wake up with a knot in his jaw, the paramedic swallows. “We...aren’t engaged, are we..?” He tries to ask this as neutrally as possible, just in case Mateo informs him that no, they absolutely are engaged. The last thing Ever would want to do the first night of being betrothed was to insult his husband-to-be.

As for counting backwards?

“What happens when I get back to 1?” He wonders, not thinking about numbers, but about wedding planning and ponies.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo
"We... what?" Blinking a couple more times now and rubbing his eyes, Mateo hides a yawn behind his hand and shakes his head. "No, Ever, of course we aren't," he mumbles. "We were just pretending for the photographer and for the restaurant, remember. I was joking when I said it earlier." Smiling lopsidedly, he sneaks a hand out of the blankets to reach out and muss up Ever's hair with sleepy affection (it'll be messy anyway from sleep, that's his excuse).

"We're just friends. Though just makes it sound crappy. You're my best friend, Ever." He smiles again, but it's less lopsided this time. "And when you get to 1, you count up again. Or..." Wiggling to fish out his free hand for his phone, Mateo boops and beeps a few buttons before the soft sound of a rainstorm fills the room. "That helps me to clear my head sometimes too."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Mateo says no, but that doesn’t stop Ever from tensing as the other man’s hand snakes out of the covers to ruffle his hair. Shockingly though, the gesture is so soothing that the paramedic nearly gasps as he feels muscles he hadn’t even realized had been locked into place, suddenly relax. Perhaps it was because it was such a Tobi gesture, and right on the heels of trauma that wore her face, it was impossibly reassuring. Smiling despite himself, Ever nods against his pillow. “I thought so, but I just wanted to check. “

“You’re my best friend too. Only...I don’t have many friends, so being the best of them isn’t hard. “ Ever mumbles, overthinking things. “But, even if I had more friends, I think I would still put you first.” He couldn’t say for sure, and careful as he was with his words, he’d never want to overcommit himself, even during a sleepy hypothetical conversation. “Thanks for being here.” Ever says, finding himself surprisingly lulled by the sound of rain. Perhaps because it wasn’t real, perhaps because if he listened hard enough he could hear where it looped. Patterns always helped calm him.

Later when Mateo eventually twined back around the paramedic, Ever would more easily accept the places they touched and found that for a few hours at least, the prolonged contact was actually quite comfortable.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

And thus the foundations are laid for Mateo's first real stint at actual responsibility. And whilst most would comfortably say it was a success, all things considered, this is Mateo, and every success comes on the wings of a test he'll later fail with flying colours. This time, the test is sobriety.

He'd lasted perhaps a day or so after Ever's meltdown, just to make sure the other man is definitely okay, that he definitely talks to someone about what happened, whether it's Mateo or otherwise, and that he's able to work without falling apart. But once that's done, and he's cheerfully waved Ever off to his night shift, Mateo goes hard and he doesn't go home.

He finds himself, some time after midnight, at a rave (he thinks, anyway). There's a lot of MDMA and a lot of cocktails and a lot of bodypaint, and gods, between that and the bumps of coke, he's having the time of his fucking life. It's all sweat and neon, dancing in the hot throng of people and giving sloppy blowjobs in the bathrooms, until it isn't.

When the ambulance blue-lights him to the hospital, they'll be saying things like severe hyperthermia and dehydration and fell unconscious, possibility of a seizure and other shit like that. Mateo's not really sure he agrees, but then he wasn't present in himself when he passed out, flushed and dizzy and sweating profusely, in the middle of the dancefloor. His pulse is fast but weak, and he doesn't feel the cool cloths being pressed against his skin.

Really, they ought to have just tossed him out into the snow for a bit. He'd have been fine.
I wanna wake up
Can't even tell if this is a dream