don't threaten me with a good time
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
Mateo
Champagne, cocaine, gasoline
and most things in between
Rocking on the balls of his feet as he gazes up at the smoothie menu, Mateo is dismayed to discover that apparently a lot of people want smoothies on crisp January mornings, and they have to wait in line. "Thank you," he says in response to his friend's nod, smiling across at him and gently jostling his shoulder with his own. Who knows - maybe Ever will find someone to get off with, if not actually date.

"Oh, I was just going to buy her drinks," he says of the present. "She works at the bar, though, so they'll probably be free anyways." Drat, maybe Ever has a point. "If we get her a present, though, then that makes her more than just a hookup." And even in friend territory, that's dangerous ground according to Mateo.

"Maybe I'll just show her a good time in the bathroom...?"
I roam the city in a shopping cart
a pack of Camels and a smoke alarm
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Everest
"Mmm." Ever, polite and naive, was absolutely the type to show up to a birthday party at a club with a brightly wrapped present. "Oh, it does?" Frowning, the paramedic pulls his eyes away from the smoothie menu (he knows what he's going to get already, it's what he always gets, but he has to survey the menu just in case it's suddenly not available). "I always get everyone at work presents, and I have never hooked up with any of them." Ever also gets presents for the mailman, his doctor, and all the regulars at the gym.

Looking queasy as he inadvertently imagines Mateo's penis with a bow around it, Ever shakes his head. "What if I get her something then. As an apology for Halloween, and anything that happens in the bathroom can just be...supplemental?" He did love Mateo, but the thought of the florist offering up sexual favours as gifts was one part male-privilege and two parts sex worker too much for the paramedic.
even if i had to lose you to know you,
i'd still be that temporary phase that you grow through
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Mateo
It's the mention of work that does it. "Oh shit I could get her carnations!" Mateo grins across at his friend. "Thanks, Ever. I'll make sure there are some good blooms ready to make a bouquet ready for Saturday." Almost dancing in the line, Mateo promptly orders Ever's usual and his own mango smoothie once they reach the front, sliding a few dollars across and stepping aside to wait for their drinks.

"Okay, deal. I'll get her flowers and supplemental bathroom sex, you can get her an apology--" and for what he still doesn't remember, and he doesn't ask, "--and a good time will be had by all. It's settled." Offering a chipper thank you in Italian to the server, he grabs his smoothie when it's ready and tries to avoid slush and puddles since he's only wearing sneakers.

"Do you know, the flower shop has been nominated for an award?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
Huffing under his breath as Mateo pays and mentally reminding himself to slip money into the flowerpot of cash the florist his in his room, Ever offers a thank-you in English as he trails behind his friend. "What do you think she would like? I could get her a $250 gift card for Aritizia for work clothes, or maybe box seats to a Broadway show?" This, was over the top and par for the course when it came to Ever, who hid his inability to be thoughtful behind exorbitant generosity.

Sipping on his smoothie the paramedic stops right in the middle of puddle, reaching for Mateo. "What? What award? I didn't know!" Ever beams at his friend as if Mateo had just said his partner was pregnant or something similar. "We should celebrate."
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo
Ever's suggestions, as per usual, nearly cause Mateo to choke on his smoothie, and he smirks over his shoulder at his friend. "You could, but that might be a little much at this stage in your relationship. She'd be expecting you to propose if you were that generous. She likes white wine, I can pick up a bottle of the brand she likes and you can give me the cash later?" It's phrased like a suggestion even though Mateo has no intention of not getting it.

"Aspetta, la pozzanghera--" he just about manages to blurt as Ever tugs him back, Mateo ending up on his toes to try and stop his sneakers from soaking through. "Oh, it's just some website," he says with a soft laugh. "They're making a list of florists to follow on Instagram, and my place made the cut."

Celebrating, though, is absolutely something he's in the mood for. "You have work, though," he reminds Ever.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Ever's expression suggests that he thinks his gifts are not enough, and he's already opening his mouth to suggest combining his suggestions. "Oh." He replies, dumbfounded and appreciative of Mateo's insight. "Well, I don't want to propose to her. But you aren't allowed to bring outside alcohol into clubs. Do you have her address? I could always send it to her?"

Releasing his friend based on his expression rather than his words (it sounds as though Mateo is ordering a pizza to Ever's ears), Ever continues to smile just the same. "But that's wonderful! You've always said that you get lots of new sales from Instagram." How many Ever isn't quite sure, because all of his requests to help Mateo with his SEO and Google Analytics have been turned down. 'I know. But after, if you're still up? Or tomorrow?' He'll have to pick up a gift for Mateo on his way home, but that shouldn't be too hard. Maybe there will even be some sort of medical emergency near Mateo's favourite tailor and he can pick him up a new sweater or shoes. Maybe even ones lined with Italian red satin so he can always be walking on a red carpet.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo
"If you put the bottle into a little bag, she will be able to keep it behind the bar," Mateo says, more than practiced at this sort of thing. "We can just take it with us - I'm sure she will love it." Smiling and pit-pattering away out of the puddle where he can stand properly, he's nonetheless warmed by his friend's compliments. "I do," he agrees. "And if I win this, I'll have a little icon to put on the website."

Slurping at his smoothie again and giving a bob of his head to suggest that they keep walking, Mateo smiles up at the snow-clogged sky. "I'll still be up," he says, knowing this to be true already. "We can celebrate. Do you want to go out anywhere, or shall we stay in?" They absolutely sound like a married couple, and the florist doesn't even care.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
'Well, of course I would put it in a bag.' Ever replies, though the idea of breaking the rules, however easily it might be accomplished, has him feeling uneasy. Maybe he could just...buy Jess a wine tasting instead.

'Well that's wonderful. Do people have to vote? I could make accounts tonight if that's what's needed.' He'd get the entire hospital to do it as well, and petition the gym. 'It is your celebration, so you can decide. We can try that new Italian Bistro that you've been judging since it opened? Or stay in and order appetizers from different restaurants and you can take a long bath?" Depending on his answer, Ever could either try and stop at the tailor or at the body shop to pick up a celebration-relevant gift. He could also pre-order all of their food, or should Mateo decide to go out, he could call the restaurant and tell them of Mateo's award so that they could make a fuss over him in front of everyone.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo
Unaware that Everest is buying his on-again-off-again hook up a wine tasting, Mateo skips over puddles and skirts around piles of slush until they're on the street to their apartment. He'll open the shop later (his first orders don't have to be out until midday) and his help isn't coming in until the afternoon, so his day is shaping up to be pretty chilled. Apart from the rowing machine, of course.

"Hm? Oh no, you don't need to do that. The voting is conducted by the website... panel... thing. I don't really know, I was just told it was happening." He grins, unlocking the door and walking up to their apartment. "Oooh, let's go to the Bistro. I bet it's terrible," he hisses, sounding incredibly smug about this and heading upstairs with a spring in his step.

Petunia is there to greet them with a judging eye and an expectant glance at her food bowl, and Mateo is quick to placate her. "Do you want to shower first?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Following behind Mateo in a straight line given that he's wearing weather-appropriate footwear and doesn't have to put on a ballet just to avoid the slush, Ever is deep in overthinking mode. "Oh..so there's nothing I can do?" He asks, blinking out of his own thoughts, disappointed to hear that he couldn't support his friend.

Chuckling at Mateo's disdain for all things faux-Italian, Ever nods and mentally clears away the to-do list he'd started for "Option: stay in", focusing solely now on the ways he might celebrate Mateo at the Bistro. "Oh no, you can go first. I've got a few calls to make." Those calls included having a Cadillac pick them up to take them to the Bistro, ensuring that the entire staff new Mateo's business was nominated for a prestigious award (and if they didn't care, he'd pay for them to), and calling the Italian tailor to see if he had anything new in that Mateo might be interested in.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo
"You're doing plenty," Mateo grins as he straightens up from delivering Petunia her breakfast. "You are happy for me and you want to celebrate for me. If you want to share my Instagram page again, then sure. But you don't have to do anything." Rolling his shoulders - which ache, he has just noticed - he takes the cue to go and shower first very seriously indeed. "Okay!" he chimes as he sweeps away into the bathroom.

Over the sound of the shower, Mateo's choice of song this morning is the jingle from a cereal ad, and thanks to the shampoo bar and other assorted goodies Ever got him for Christmas, everything about him and the bathroom smell wonderful by the time he emerges and disappears into his room, oblivious to the plans being made in his absence.

When he does finally emerge in earnest, it's in a loose tartan shirt and a turquoise headband to keep his curls out of his face. "What time does your shift finish?" he wonders. "Shall I come to the hospital to meet you?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Despite the fact that Ever's Instagram page has only three posts (the day they got Petunia, and two pictures of medical equipment) and a total of 5 followers, he absolutely would re-share Mateo's Instagram page.

Having made a list, checked it twice, and subsequently followed up on every item with varying levels of success, by the time Mateo emerges Ever has the cereal jingle stuck in his head and has neatly folded up his to-do list in his pocket. "Whichever is easiest for you." Ever calls despite having planned to leave from the apartment. Unable to keep himself from humming the jingle while he showers, Ever uses the same product for both his hair and his body and is out of the shower in about 1/4 of the time Mateo used.

After having changed into his uniform the paramedic emerges from his bedroom and makes his way into the kitchen where he begins to pack the same lunch he's taken to work for the past year, still humming the jingle.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo
It is easiest for Mateo to come to the hospital, as it turns out. His day is beautifully simple, not in that it isn't busy (because with recognition comes work, naturally) but in that everything behaves as it ought to. No unexpectedly withering flowers, no hidden orders, no no-shows or latecomers. And so as snow begins to flurry down at the close of Ever's shift, the paramedic will find his roommate unusually punctual outside the hospital.

Having taken his long bath before heading out, and wearing a much more weather-suitable attire (even if the boots he's wearing are two different colours, and the hood of his coat has bunny ears), Mateo is still humming the cereal jingle as he waits for Ever. There's two coffees in his hands, his own containing some epic combination of syrups, the paramedic's his plain usual.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"Mateo?" The voice belongs to the male nurse, who, once upon a time, tried to kick Mateo out after the Italian had demanded to see his recently-stabbed friend. He's either forgotten the other man's face (how could you), or is pretending he has, as he nods for the coffee-wielding florist to come inside. "Ever was delayed. He says for you to wait." Rather ominously said, the nurse shrugs considering his job done. Actually, Ever had paid him $50 to tell Mateo that his outfit had had to quickly shower so that he wouldn't get blood on his clothes, and that he would be ready in no more than ten minutes' time.

Upstairs, Ever is frantically trying to balance the need to be fully and completely clean, with the need to be on time. With his anxiety skyrocketing and his skin growing pink and irritated from his scrubbing, Ever tries to take the most efficient shower known to man, all the while trying to ignore the voices in his mind telling him that he's ruining Mateo's special night by virtue of being late.