I just really need to get well
Nurse

Age: 37 | Height: 6’1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Now I know there's no one I can trust - I used to think there was
you can tell me that I'm cutthroat but I think you've got your eyes closed
Bart is pissed.

What that usually means is he’s hurt, but only one person here would know that, and he’s the cause of Bart’s current fuckery of an emotional state.

Everything had been busy, Bart knew that, and horrible to boot. The clinic, the fires, Sunjata stepping down as Governor. But his brother, brother-in-law, and niece all jumping ship with a rushed explanation at best? Yeah, he’s pissed. And feeling pretty abandoned.

He’d stuck it out in Torchline for a while longer, not sure what the hell else to do and unwilling to be a leech even longer by following the family and intruding as they got their footing. Hell, he’d thought it would be a good idea himself. Stretch his own legs, give them all some privacy, some time to heal.

Except he’s selfish, and pretty friendless with Aurelia disappearing into thin air and his last run in with Maeve ending with her snipping at him. So here he is in King’s End, not really knowing where his brother ended up moving. Wandering around in snow sucks ass, and makes him miss asphalt and concrete more than he ever thought he would, but Bart has no magic or cool powers and he’s already come this far so turning back is a multi-day adventure his stubbornness isn’t willing to undertake. Hiking his jacket collar higher, he abruptly falls backwards into the snow, arms splayed in a half-hearted snow angel. Or that’s what he tells himself he’s doing. Definitely not pouting.

“Fuck you too,” he grumbles at the sky, blank and grey above him as the snow soaks into his pants eagerly. “Good fuckin’ goin’ Bartie,” he groans, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate the problem.
Feel the fear and swallow back the tears
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
// i don't wanna break but I did today
guess i only have myself to blame //
There's really no way to put his finger on it directly, but the house in the Boondocks is... uncomfortable. Maybe, if Nate put more than a moment's thought into it he could summon the reason, but he's far more preoccupied with trying to not let it feel wrong. It's nice. Quiet, peaceful. Theirs. They'd fucking gone out of their way to build it to be right. And most times, it was great! Most times, there were people in it.

Nate can't stand to be in the place alone quite yet. Finds himself on edge, a chill he shouldn't be able to feel anymore drifting in through the windows, filling the house with a fog that no amount of fire can chase away. The snow doesn't help, muffling the world and keeping it far away. So, on days like this, days when he's the only one in the house, Nate wanders. There's a note left at home, obviously, but until the sun starts to set he is adrift, aimless, wandering along rolling hills with Pemota drifting ahead of him, anticipating the random footfalls that carry them into the wilderness.

She's the one who notices the irregularity in the snow first, her note of curiosity for once guiding Nate instead of the other way around. They make a silent duo as they approach down the hill, the shape making sense quickly as a familiar, confusing, welcome figure. Pemota seems to come to the same realization at the same moment and reveals them by drifting directly above Bart, turning to look down at him.

It's impossible to really describe how a creature with no real limbs communicates such a feeling of exhausted exasperation, but Pemota manages, sinking down to settle heavily on Bart's chest. And, conveniently, opening a spot for Nate to lean in, a crooked smirk spreading over his face. He half considers tormenting his little brother, and letting a dangling trail of drool hover dangerously over him, but they're not children anymore. "Whaddya doin' lyin' in the snow in smack dab nowhere, stupid?" See? Much more mature.
NATE
Nurse

Age: 37 | Height: 6’1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Time has no meaning for a bit. Has it had any at all since he got popped into Caido like a belated, off-key present for his brother? The passage is marked only by the spreading wetness in his clothes and the way he goes from shivering to stillness. Ah, shit. That’s a sign he needs to get his ass up. His nursing degree won’t let him be too stupid, because at that point it’s just unprofessional to die of something you can recite in your sleep.

Before he can muster up the energy to get moving again, he suddenly has a chest full of something. He flails and shouts for all of a second before recognizing the companion currently deep-pressure-therapy’ing him into the snow. “Pemota?” it’s a little strangled but still definitely surprised. Just as one hand is rising to pet at her side, his brother’s face appears overhead, and the calm the companion naturally brings in her wake is ruined as he scowls temperamentally up at his twin. Still, there’s relief there that he’s unwilling to face. “Lookin’ for you dumb shit. Ain’t like this place has zonin’ and street names, I was about to go caroling door to door to find your ugly mug.” Despite his griping, Bart does absolutely nothing to try and get Pemota off him, content to lay with her pressure against him and the cold seeping into his hair.
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
It would be a lie to say his brother's face doesn't soothe some deep tension in Nate's chest, one of those empty places filling up. "Lookin' for me?" Bright eyes roll as a sharp breath snorts out of Nate, his head shaking gently. He knows the plan was to get things set up first, but... fuck, it seems stupid to wait now. It wasn't like either of them was a stranger to rough living. It wasn't like he had made anything short of a home, no matter how far from finished it was.

"Out here actin' like you never learned nothin', huh?" Nate reaches down and grabs the front of Bart's shirt, heaving him up to his feet and making sure he's steady before leaning back to look him over. "You're supposed to stay still 'til I come get you. Don't even got a fuckin' room set up for you yet." Pemota trills, mocking the heat in Nate's tone. "Guess you might as well come see what we got so far, huh? Since you came all this way."
NATE
Nurse

Change author:
His brother’s sardonic response has him pursing his lips, the two of them stubborn as old mules tied at the tails. “Yeah, ‘n here I am lookin’. Not much to see though, so maybe I should go back.” Ascended can’t look physically exhausted but Bart has too well-trained a Nate Eye to be fooled by that. His brother looks like polished shit.

Strong polished shit though, because Bart is hauled off his damned feet by a single yank of his shirt. Nearly gives him whiplash. He punches idly at his twin’s shoulder, grumbling half heartedly in Italian - he has a better grasp of the language, which makes a pointed intent when he does it to exclude Nate from knowing what he’s saying. Gotta be creative with the curses though, because they’re the few words Nate cared to memorize.

“Well you were takin’ yer sweet ass time, got tired of sittin’ on my hands,” he gripes, refusing to admit he’d missed them both, and Melita and the little tyke. Not like he had anything to miss back in Torchline anyway.
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"You wouldn't dare." Nate sneers back, shaking off his brothers eyes with a sharp grin. You can't grift a grifter, but he knows Bart well enough to know Bart knows him well enough to leave it alone. It helps that he chooses this moment to haul Bart to his feet too, the colourful words just a touch too fast for him to keep up with. "Sounds like you just said somethin' nonna woulda beat you for."

The arm that wraps around Bart's shoulders is automatic, a muscle memory so old Nate can't even pinpoint when it started. "You think it's easy to build a place in the snow?" There's too much humour in his voice for the complaint to be serious, and just enough for them to move past the tangle of genuine emotion easily. Smoothly.

"I'm out here bustin' my balls tamin' the," a hand gestures wildly in front of them, "fuckin' wilderness for us. For... for my family." That one cuts too close, pricks in his skin as he tries to navigate the bramblebush of unspoken emotions, and he has to take a moment, has to breathe and stare right ahead of them and blink until the stupid burning that he doesn't even really feel stops in his eyes and his voice stops threatening to choke the next words that leave him. "I'm out here, and here you are tryin' t'fcukin' kill yourself before I can even show you all the dicks I carved into your doorframe."
NATE
Nurse

Change author:
They're constantly dancing on the edges of bruises, sparking little nerves that warn too close without ever fully pressing down. Living in close quarters, they knew when to growl and when to snap, like dogs shoved into a wire kennel with few chances to be rid of one another. They usually didn't want to of course, but Caido is vast and things are still pretty fucked up in their own heads considering they'd gone years with the other dead.

"Nonna would never, because unlike you I'm the favorite," he wheedles, though it's more of a huff as Nate hauls him up like a wet kitten. Fuck that dude's bulk. As if he needed to be any stronger than normal human muscle, The Voice had to go and 'roid him up until Bart can't knuckle him into submission anymore. He couldn't before, really, so he's mostly just moaning. As always.

It's just as familiar to wrap an arm around the bottom of Nate's ribs, wavering through the snow like a drunken idiot for a moment, bouncing off his brother's side until he's steady. The brush too close to the fire of vulnerability singes Bart's skin, and he's not even the one who said it, but this close - and even after all these years - it's like tuning into a muffled radio station. Still decipherable with a little focus. "You carved 'em into my frame instead'a makin' one I can actually use?" he snarks back automatically, and then goes a little pale around the gills. He'd gotten used to exercising his tentative queerness back home in the unit, and he knows sure as shit his brother wouldn't say anything anyway, but it's terrifying regardless. "You sure they even look like dicks? Y'ain't known for your art." He lets Nate lead them in the supposedly correct direction, content to drift between his brother's arm and shadowed by Pemota's calm aura.
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"You were the favourite?" Nate all but screeches, his voice carrying in the snowy expanse around them. "I didn't spend my summers slaving away in that hellhole kitchen for you," His bicep tightens around Bart's head, half threatens to turn it into a full headlock, "to think you're the fuckin' favourite!" A laugh hisses through his teeth, Nate shaking his head. "I don't think so."

It's a similar kind of misstep in Nate's mind, gears with their teeth worn down different, still built for the same job. Still made to fit together. It's why he responds so naturally, so automatically. "You don't wanna be fuckin' around with anything made of wood, believe-" Nate pauses, just enough to take a breath, "believe me." His arm tightens again, squeezing Bart's shoulder and pulling him into a half hug, not daring to glance over, not just yet. He sniffs a laugh in, hesitating another second before he continues. "I might not know my way around a brush, but I got experience with dicks." He teases, hand coming out to pat his brothers chest, finally meeting his eyes with a taunting grin. "You ever find yourself in that market though, you come talk to me. I got a coupl'a plugs." The joke is accidental, taking Nate guard and making him howl.
NATE