Missed a few steps along the way
For Locke
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
EDMUND

Edmund had gone and done it again. Packing his bag of snacks and a small map, he'd left a brief note for his mum and went on his way. She was probably going to be upset, but at least he'd told her where he was going and when he'd be back. That was something, right? Though he was going further from home this time so maybe this wasn't his best decision.

Regardless, the child found himself wandering the Ahi Coast on a little adventure. Edmund would pause every once and a while to inspect shells and other things that had been washed ashore. The more interesting things were tucked away into his bag for later. Though he did have another purpose for being out here today.

The revelation that he was an Abandoned was still so new and he'd yet to tell anyone. Only Sunjata who had helped him discover it, was aware. Unless the man had told someone that is. But as far as the child knew, it was still a secret. Edmund knew he had to tell his mummy eventually, but he was scared. He knew he didn't have to be, yet he was.
I never realized how beautiful
Fires burn under the stars
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
Falling farther from just what we are
Locke made his way down the beach, headed for the little cove he'd become so comfortable with. After his talk with Maeve, he had gone home with the hopes that she'd talk to their son. It wasn't fair for him to just show up and try to act like nothing had happened. He's not sure if Edmund really understood but it didn't matter. So now he was just waiting. But the silence of the apartment had been too much.

He walks slowly, almost lazily, simply soaking in the warm spring sun. It's quiet, just a hair too early for most people to be awake, or at least out on the beach. A small figure catches his attention. Locke watches the boy with half-hearted interest, some kind of paternal instinct forcing him to pay attention, despite the fact that lone children aren't that uncommon in Torchline.

But then then something catches his attention, a glint of gold around the boy's neck. Locke's eyes narrow as he tries to look at it more closely. As if by habit, he brings one hand up, finding his necklace gone. Strange. He didn't remember taking it off.

"Hey, boy, where'd you get that?" He's seen smaller pickpockets.
Smoke a cigarette and lie some more
These conversations kill
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund whips around warily when a vaguely familiar voice calls out. Completely ignoring the question, the child approaches and stares up at Locke with narrowed eyes. The wheels are clearly turning in his brain, trying to determine why this man is so familiar and why is presence makes something in him ache.

Glancing at the man's hair so like his own, it finally clicks. Edmund takes a step back in shock, eyes going wide. "Papa?" The question is filled with disbelief and hope. Was this really his Papa? The very one who Mummy had said he'd likely never see again?
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
The little boy doesn't answer him, simply regarding him instead. Locke is about to press him further when he speaks, voice soft. Locke inhales sharply, eyes flicking across the little boy's face, picking apart things he recognizes. It's the eyes, really, unmistakable in how unlike his own they are. Some part of him still angry, jealous, ashamed of the way that train of thought makes him feel. But mostly he's just upset with himself, for leaving, for coming back.

But body wins out over brain and he grabs Edmund, pulling him to his chest. He buries his face in the boy's hair, inhaling sun and sea salt and maybe lavender. "M'sorry. I didn't mean to be gone for so long. Promise I won't leave you again." It's rushed, mumbled as he squeezes the boy. "I'm so sorry, Edmund."
These conversations kill
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund's eyes widen further as the shock sets in that he was right. That this is his Papa. After a heartbeat lapses the child lets out a strangled noise, "Papa!", and hugs his Papa back as tightly as he possibly can. Part of him hopes that if he holds on tightly enough, maybe he can stop the man from ever slipping away again.

Hearing Locke's rushed apologies, Edmund spirals in confusion. "Papa, I don't understand. Why did you leave? Mummy said I'd likely never see you again. Where did you go?" The question of, was it my fault? is almost raised but the child at least knows that logically it wasn't. Yet he still wonders.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
Edmund hugs him back and he's content to bask in the warmth until it's suddenly taken away from him again. He leans back just a bit, so he can look down, head tilting to one side. Maeve told Edmund he'd never see him again? His jaw feathers, annoyance that her first thought was that he simply left again and not that something had happened. But that's not for Edmund to worry about. Locke can sort that out with Maeve another time.

"I didn't mean to leave for so long. I was in the Wilds, I got lost. I had to wait until LongNight was over to come home." He keeps it short and sweet, one hand running through Edmund's hair as he looks the little boy over. "But it won't happen again." He means it, honestly. Even if it means having to tell death to fuck off. He's not doing it again.

There's a long pause before he speaks again, "Why are you alone on the beach?" Where is Maeve?
These conversations kill
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund still doesn't quite understand. Why had his Mummy been so sure that he'd never see his Papa again if he'd only gotten lost in the woods? Instead of asking like he normally would, the child instead gives a small nod with a pinched brow. He's too happy to see his Papa to question it. "Ok Papa." The confusion melts away into determination. "If you get lost again, I'll come find you. I'm big enough now so I promise."

Now that he was able, Edmund would never let his Papa disappear again. He felt a burst of warmth in his chest alongside his determination, warming him head to toe. It was with a slight start that the child recognized it as his magic. That was right, he was more than able now.

The question about Mummy is to be expected but it makes Edmund smile sheepishly. "I wanted to explore. But don't worry! I left her a note!" It wasn't like he'd snuck out or anything. Leaving a note made it ok, right?
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
The corner of his mouth crooks up in a grin, "Of course, Bug." He pushes himself up, ruffling the little boy's hair as he does so. It feels a little odd. Like meeting someone he knows really well after many years. Except it's been a season and this is his son. Probably. He thought Edmund might grow out of the gray blue eyes but alas. He swallows that down again, Edmund is the last person he wants to know about his doubts.

Locke squints, "Do you usually just leave notes when you go on adventures?" Maeve, of all people, should know how dangerous Torchline can be. And with the impending war, how vulnerable Edmund is specifically. Although he'd yet to meet a fanatic Ascended, that doesn't mean they don't exist.
These conversations kill
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund giggles warmly at the nickname and the hair ruffle, soaking up the affection. He'd missed his Papa immensely. Though the nickname does make his small brow furrow, "Why Bug?" He liked it, but Edmund was confused as to where it came from. He didn't look like a bug, did he?

A slightly indignant look stretches across Edmund's face at his Papa's question, confusion forgotten as he misses the 'just' part of the question. "Of course, I always leave a note. It'd be mean if I left without letting Mummy know where I was going! I don't want her to worry. What if something happened and she didn't know where I was?" That'd be terrible. Mummy would be so worried, and Edmund couldn't do that to him.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
Locke just kind of shrugs, "I dunno really. Just felt right. Maybe 'cause you're small and cute like a bug. You've gotten a lot bigger since then though. Eddie then?" He doesn't go by his real name, something more akin to a nickname, so why not his son? He doesn't call Maeve by her full name either.

The man groans softly, click his tongue. It's something he'll have to talk about with Maeve. "Well, I guess that's okay." It's not. But he gets it. He didn't leave a note did he? He should've but he didn't. There's a long pause as Locke looks at the little boy, studying him.

"Do you want to see something secret?"
These conversations kill
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund mimics the shrug, smiling happily. "Bug or Eddie. I like both!" The child doesn't really care what nickname his Papa settled on. Both were clearly said with affection and that was the only thing that mattered to him. The groan and click from Locke make Edmund's brow furrow. "What's wrong?" Was he missing something? Leaving a note was good, right?

The offer to see and learn a secret excites the child. "Yes please, Papa! What is it?" To Edmund, his Papa is one of the coolest people around. As such, this secret was likely super cool too! The child pauses as that thought crosses his mind, "I swear I'll keep it secret!" There, now his Papa should feel ok about sharing.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
Locke pokes him in the nose, "Bug or Eddie it is then." He hums to himself, kind of laughing at the idea of Edmund having a bug shift when the boy catches his disapproval. "S'nothing. Papa just worries too much. Promise me you'll always let me or your momma know where you are, okay?" He holds out his pinky, wiggling it. As well adjusted of adults he and Maeve are for being feral Torchline children, he doesn't want Edmund to end up the same way.

He scoops the boy up and starts to head down the beach. "Papa has a special, secret place he likes to go. Momma knows about it too, and so does Aidon." He gives Edmund a kiss on his face as he walks. It's not very far until he puts him down on the edge of some rocks, holding his hand out. "We gotta be careful but just over these rocks is Papa's secret hiding place." It's not much, just a little cove hidden between some rocks but it does well enough. And now Edmund can share in it too.
These conversations kill
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund eyes his Papa for a moment before letting out put upon sigh, "Ok Papa. I'll try to remember." Reaching out the child reaches out a hand to link pinkies with his Papa. He would genuinely try to remember but in the excitement of adventure and the eagerness of a child, he wouldn't always be successful in the future.

Edmund can't help the burst of giggles that escape him when his Papa scoops him up. The affection makes something in the child warm happily, bubbling and soothing. The little Abandoned now recognizes it as his magic responding to his happiness. He reluctantly leaves his Papa's arms but happily takes his hand as they walk. The promise of sharing a secret with his family, especially a secret hide-out, is exciting for the child. "A secret hide-out?"

Walking with a slight bounce in his step, Edmund eagerly follows his Papa. "What's it like Papa?"
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE
Driving faster in my car
He jumps down from the rocks once he makes it across the other side and holds his arms up for Edmund to jump into. "Not much but we can make something fun, I'm sure. Maybe you, momma, and I can build something here. Something little. The storms in Flowerbirth will probably wash it away but that just means we can build it again, right?" Maybe that's what he and Maeve are good at. Rebuilding. Each other, themselves, the Halenani. He'll think about it later.

Edmund would find a stretch of sand surrounded by rocks. The swell of the waves is loud here but not intensely so. They crash against the rocks and the shoreline steadily. It's calming, at least to Locke. "I come out here all the time. Sometimes your momma does too. Now you can. Just be careful of the water." He sets his son down in the sand, "Go look around. Maybe we can find something shiny to bring home."

Surprises for everyone all around today.
These conversations kill