[split] unfamiliar coasts
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

"That's true," Cam admitted. "Without a network to connect to ... it's probably not worth trying to fix my stuff." Maybe ten years ago they could have used their laptop anyway, but modern machines relied on the Internet so heavily ... As for the skyboats, Cam winced a little, because the answer was, once again, hatred of the Voice. "Well, the Voice created the portals, so there isn't one to Stormbreak, because that's where the people who hate the Voice the most live. I don't really know much more about it than that ... and that they have, uh, dragons."

Laughing, Cam said, "Yeah, that's a little philosophical, when I mostly just want to be able to unsplatter paint. But there's something to be said for having to commit to your art." They nodded. "I'm trying to remind myself that I'm adding skills to my portfolio, not going back to square one on one I already had."

Cam grimaced. "More PR ... Maybe. But it seems like most people -- at least most people who aren't newly arrived in Caido -- have already chosen a side."

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 410
"I see. If they truly think of the Voice as their enemy, it makes sense for them to not use the portals. Since the portals are created by her, she might have the power to get people stuck or vanish entirely through those. But I'd say that's also a good sign for Torchline. You said that the queen of torchline is a proponent of the old gods. The portal still stands though. I'd count that as a sign that Ascended are still welcome in Torchline." she said, brows furrowed.

To Cam's explanations about their portfolio, Lilliane nodded. "Speaking of work though, do you know if there's some place in need of an extra cook. Like a restaurant or such? I don't want to rely on the help of others all the time after all." She made a short pause. "Which reminds me, you said Ascended don't need to eat. But can you eat?" She looked at Cameron with an expression of curiosity.

More serious, Lilliane continued on: "I don't know about that. Maybe some people might change their opinion. I want to ask them about it. With me being new in Caido, I hope they will be willing to answer my questions. Since most people will probably want to convince me their side is the right one. And I can use that to learn more about how everyone thinks about this conflict." A task easier said than done, especially so since Lilliane was not the person to walk up to strangers and talk to them. But this was a problem for future Lilliane.
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Cam nodded, but a little uncertainly. "I'm not sure there is a way to destroy the portals once they're created. But yeah, I don't think the queen of Torchline would destroy the portal even if she could. It's too useful." They couldn't help scoffing a little. "They might hate the Voice, but they'll benefit from her stuff if it's convenient."

At Lilliane's question, though, Cam brightened. "I'm sure there are places here that could use a cook! Or, if not here, in Torchline. That's a good skill to have -- you can definitely barter it into a place to stay and stuff. And all I can offer the people who took me in is some menial labor ..." They let out a self-deprecating laugh. That was another reason they kind of wanted to leave the family they'd been staying with: they didn't want to keep doing dishes for a room and board that they didn't really need.

As for the Ascended palate, Cam sobered a little. "We technically can eat, but we can't taste, so we usually just ... don't." Not that this bothered Cam much; they'd long had a rather adversarial relationship with food, thanks to their eating disorder, and not needing to eat had been a relief.

Another nod. "Well, if you can change minds, then please do. Or, I mean -- well, I'm kind of assuming that you'll come to our side in the end, because I think it's sort of a no-brainer. But I know you need to decide for yourself." Still, Cam couldn't imagine that Lilliane, who seemed so nice and decent -- so thoughtful -- would end up agreeing with the Old Gods' campaign of annihilation.

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Lilliane thought for a moment. "I'm not sure about that. From a tactical standpoint, if they intended to go to war with the Ascended, it would make sense for them to destroy the portals. With them being made by the Voice, it would be unsafe for any enemies of the Voice to use them during a war. But they would still allow the allies of the voice to quickly go from one place to another. That might also be why that other place – Stormbreak, was it, right? – doesn't want a portal." She sighed. It was a depressing thought.

At Cam's next remark, Lilliane smiled. "That's good to hear. And also I think it's the thought that counts. What matters is that you wanted to help the people who took you in, not how much you actually did for them." She listened to their explanations about eating and taste. "Hmm... maybe I should have a chat with the Voice and tell her to give you guys a way to taste things." she said with a chuckle. "Jokes aside, I think it's quite sad that you can't even eat for taste. Then again, I'm not even sure how taste buds work. Maybe they are too complicated to replicate?"

"Well, right now it seems like a no-brainer to me too. But so far my information is kind of one-sided." she said with a smile and a shrug. "Either way, even if I end up agreeing with some of the points the followers of the Old Gods make, I'll never agree with annihilating a bunch of people because of it. There's always another way." Though it was often difficult to see. And took a lot of mental and emotional strength to follow. Especially for those involved. "We just need to find it."
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

"That's true," Cam said thoughtfully. "I mean, I'm not sure how much control the Voice actually has over the portals, but from their point of view, better safe than sorry, right? Stormbreak also just hates the Ascended," Cam added. "I don't think they'd let any of us on their soil long enough to make a portal anyway."

Cam ducked their head with a self-conscious smile. "Thanks ... I don't mind not eating, personally. I, uh, never really liked it. But I know some Ascended miss being able to taste things."

Lilliane's statement earned a nod from Cam. That was the core of the matter, wasn't it? "Yeah, it's like ... I understand disagreeing with the Voice; I understand not liking her. I even understand thinking the Ascended are creepy or whatever. But the leap from that to 'let's kill everyone who disagrees with us' is way too far for me."

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
"How do you actually make a portal? I imagine it would be a very complex thing. Also, is it more tech-based or magic-based? They look more like magic. But from what you told me, the voice does a lot of technical stuff?" Lilliane pondered.

"I see. Do you know why Ascended can't taste? I suppose there's a reason for it, right?" She paused for a moment. "Maybe because of the blood-drinking? Because people usually dislike the taste of blood. Then again, if she can change people that much, why not change the taste of blood into a pleasurable one instead of removing taste altogether? Maybe there's another reason after all?" At this point, it was more a thought spoken aloud rather than a directed question.

When it came to the next topic, Lilliane became more serious. She nodded. It was the only thing to be said about this at the moment.
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

"I don't know," Cam admitted. "All the portal-making happened before I arrived in Caido, and I've never really asked about them ... The Voice isn't all technology, though. I think she does a mixture of magic and technology. Like, magitech." They liked that word; they'd always found stories that combined science fiction and fantasy elements fascinating.

As for Lilliane's other questions ... Cam shrugged. "I mean, there's, uh, other stuff Ascended can't do either. We can't smell, and all of our physical sensations are kind of ... dulled. We don't feel pain at all. But we can see in the dark, and see and hear better than when we were human -- becoming Ascended fixed my eyes." They laughed; they hadn't actually needed to wear glasses since Ascending. "I don't know if it has to do with drinking blood specifically, or if it's, like, an intentional feature. Maybe it's just a trade-off, or a matter of priorities -- like, the Voice couldn't do everything so she had to pick some stuff to leave off. And since we don't have to eat, taste probably fell by the wayside."

When it came to the conflict between the Old Gods and the Voice, Cam only gave Lilliane another solemn nod. They were happy enough to drop that discussion if she had nothing further to say.

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
"Magitech... To be honest that seems like the most practical way to approach magic to me." Lilliane said with a shrug. "When you have technology and magic, keeping them separate instead of combining them seems like a waste of potential. Also, I think one should approach magic similar to science and therefore, technology. Something to be learned and understood better. Maybe to find new ways to apply it, or just to learn which sort of magic suits you best. Because if nobody does anything, there won't be any change."

Lilliane nodded. "I see. It makes sense that some things are more important than others. Though that means I'll never become an Ascended. I'd lose my job!" she said in a joking manner. "But I like that these gods – or at least the voice – don't portray themselves as perfect beings. With you saying she couldn't do everything and all." She paused for a moment. "I don't think there's anyone or anything that's entirely perfect."
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

Cam nodded. Lilliane had a good point, although ... "I mean, I kind of imagine that what sets magic apart from other natural phenomena is that you can't measure and understand it like science. On the other hand, what's that quote from, uh, Arthur C. Clarke, I think? 'Any sufficiently advanced technology becomes indistinguishable from magic'? Maybe we call it 'magic' just because we don't have the science to understand it yet. And, I mean, I know people can learn more about magic and become more skilled with it."

Lilliane's little joke made Cam smile. "Yeah, taste is pretty important to a cook, huh? I won't say you're missing out, either. Like I said, being Ascended has its advantages, but also its disadvantages ... I don't know if I would really recommend it to anyone, unless they needed it." The subject of the gods sobers Cam up a little, though; it makes them think about just how imperfect the Voice truly is. "Yeah. I definitely don't think any of the gods here are perfect -- you're probably right that nothing really is."

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
With a smile, Lilliane nodded. "That's what I think as well. If you think about it, magic is a term we use for powers we don't understand yet. And science is a term we use for powers we do understand. Looking at it like that, I personally think they are the same thing, we only give them different names based on how well we understand them. Many things possible on earth nowadays would have been called magic only a few hundred years ago after all." Then again, they weren't on earth anymore. Things might work differently here.

"Well, so far followers of most religions I heard of proclaimed their gods to be perfect. Well, the monotheistic ones. Polytheistic religions are a different beast altogether. Take the greek pantheon for example. With all the feuds of the gods and half-gods, how could they be perfect? There would be no reason to fight if they were." Thinking about it, the same statement could be made about the gods of Caido.  "But hey, at least Caido doesn't have a Zeus running around having sex with random women who then get turned into cows by his jealous wife." she said with a shrug and a laugh.

Lilliane made a short pause to think. "There's something I wanted to ask by the way. If I open up a cafe or something like that someday, would you paint a big sign or something like that for me?" She smiled at Cam. "I'm no good at art, you see."
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

Cam nodded, though they were still a bit on the fence. "Still, I think something like people shooting fire out of their hands would always be considered a bit magical, even if we understood the mechanism behind it."

The reference to Greek polytheism made Cam smile. They'd been interested in mythology since almost before they could read. "Yeah, the gods here certainly have their feuds ... And we do have demigods. But I am very glad that there's no Zeus around. At least the gods here don't seem to be driven by horniness."

Lilliane's request made Cam blush. "I mean, I'm honestly not that good at painting. You might be better off asking, uh, someone else. But if you want me to, I'm down."

They were approaching the house where Cam stayed, so Cam added, "Also, I can introduce you to the family I'm staying with if you want. I don't know if they'll have space for someone new, not unless I move out, but they can probably point you towards someone who does."

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
"True. I mean that's what stage magic is all about. The people going there all know it's fake. Yet still, it seems magical. And to be honest I think the greatest magic is getting people to have this sense of wonder, of believing for one moment that it's really truly magic, even though they were convinced of the opposite before." Lilliane hadn't been to many magic shows, but that's what they had felt like to her.

"Well, that's something then." She replied with a chuckle on the topic of horny gods.

A little more serious, she continued. "I guess I can't say anything about that until I see some of your paintings firsthand. Though how about you just take it as an encouragement to not give up on your retraining to physical painting," she said with a smile. "And it's not all about skill either. The style of the art has to fit as well." And, in a way, the feeling people got from seeing it. And if Cam's art was similar to themselves, Lilliane was positive their art would be fitting.

"That would be nice. It's totally enough if they just know who I can ask. Walking from house to house asking a bunch of strangers if they can take me in sounds very scary. So I'd be glad if I only have to ask once." She seemed a bit embarrassed when she said that. At the same time, she couldn't help but think back to another time when walking around asking people for help seemed inconceivable to her. Was her being willing to do so now a matter of growing up, or one of mental strength? She wasn't quite sure. Maybe just a matter of different surroundings and situations.
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

Cam tilts their head in a so-so motion. "Stage magic is cool, but I can't help always trying to figure out how they're doing it. It's different knowing that stuff here is actual magic. But maybe I'm just a skeptic -- it's hard for me to get lost in the wonder of the act when I know it's all sleight of hand ... Even if it's really impressive sleight of hand."

Lilliane's encouragement about their art made Cam grin. "I'll put that down as a definite maybe, then. But even if my art turns out not to be right for your sign, I can probably put you in touch with some other artists who would be. Or, I mean, I can put you in touch with Bastien, and I'm sure Bastien knows someone -- he's another painter, and he's been here much longer than I have."

Cam nods, wincing in sympathy. "Oh, God, going from house to house like that sounds like a nightmare. No, we'll make sure you find somewhere."

Reaching the house, they pulled out their key and unlocked the door, calling as they walked in, "Hello? I've brought someone new."

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
Lilliane couldn't help but chuckle. "I think at some point during the show, I just decided to believe in magic for the next few hours. Because it was comforting to believe in magic instead of looking for the tricks." Tricks were something she had more than enough of back then. Especially considering that she and Collin had snuck into the venue without paying.

"Guess we'll have to wait with that until I have something to put a sign on anyway," she said with a smile. "And thanks. I'm really thankful for you helping me out like that." As Cam walked into the house, Lilliane followed them and took a look around. "Um, hello."
Lilliane