[split] unfamiliar coasts
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1380

"That's true," Cam admitted. "Without a network to connect to ... it's probably not worth trying to fix my stuff." Maybe ten years ago they could have used their laptop anyway, but modern machines relied on the Internet so heavily ... As for the skyboats, Cam winced a little, because the answer was, once again, hatred of the Voice. "Well, the Voice created the portals, so there isn't one to Stormbreak, because that's where the people who hate the Voice the most live. I don't really know much more about it than that ... and that they have, uh, dragons."

Laughing, Cam said, "Yeah, that's a little philosophical, when I mostly just want to be able to unsplatter paint. But there's something to be said for having to commit to your art." They nodded. "I'm trying to remind myself that I'm adding skills to my portfolio, not going back to square one on one I already had."

Cam grimaced. "More PR ... Maybe. But it seems like most people -- at least most people who aren't newly arrived in Caido -- have already chosen a side."

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Cameron uses they/them pronouns
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 21 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Other
Level: 0 - Strg: 7 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 55
"I see. If they truly think of the Voice as their enemy, it makes sense for them to not use the portals. Since the portals are created by her, she might have the power to get people stuck or vanish entirely through those. But I'd say that's also a good sign for Torchline. You said that the queen of torchline is a proponent of the old gods. The portal still stands though. I'd count that as a sign that Ascended are still welcome in Torchline." she said, brows furrowed.

To Cam's explanations about their portfolio, Lilliane nodded. "Speaking of work though, do you know if there's some place in need of an extra cook. Like a restaurant or such? I don't want to rely on the help of others all the time after all." She made a short pause. "Which reminds me, you said Ascended don't need to eat. But can you eat?" She looked at Cameron with an expression of curiosity.

More serious, Lilliane continued on: "I don't know about that. Maybe some people might change their opinion. I want to ask them about it. With me being new in Caido, I hope they will be willing to answer my questions. Since most people will probably want to convince me their side is the right one. And I can use that to learn more about how everyone thinks about this conflict." A task easier said than done, especially so since Lilliane was not the person to walk up to strangers and talk to them. But this was a problem for future Lilliane.
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1380

Cam nodded, but a little uncertainly. "I'm not sure there is a way to destroy the portals once they're created. But yeah, I don't think the queen of Torchline would destroy the portal even if she could. It's too useful." They couldn't help scoffing a little. "They might hate the Voice, but they'll benefit from her stuff if it's convenient."

At Lilliane's question, though, Cam brightened. "I'm sure there are places here that could use a cook! Or, if not here, in Torchline. That's a good skill to have -- you can definitely barter it into a place to stay and stuff. And all I can offer the people who took me in is some menial labor ..." They let out a self-deprecating laugh. That was another reason they kind of wanted to leave the family they'd been staying with: they didn't want to keep doing dishes for a room and board that they didn't really need.

As for the Ascended palate, Cam sobered a little. "We technically can eat, but we can't taste, so we usually just ... don't." Not that this bothered Cam much; they'd long had a rather adversarial relationship with food, thanks to their eating disorder, and not needing to eat had been a relief.

Another nod. "Well, if you can change minds, then please do. Or, I mean -- well, I'm kind of assuming that you'll come to our side in the end, because I think it's sort of a no-brainer. But I know you need to decide for yourself." Still, Cam couldn't imagine that Lilliane, who seemed so nice and decent -- so thoughtful -- would end up agreeing with the Old Gods' campaign of annihilation.

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Cameron uses they/them pronouns
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 21 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Other
Level: 0 - Strg: 7 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 55
Lilliane thought for a moment. "I'm not sure about that. From a tactical standpoint, if they intended to go to war with the Ascended, it would make sense for them to destroy the portals. With them being made by the Voice, it would be unsafe for any enemies of the Voice to use them during a war. But they would still allow the allies of the voice to quickly go from one place to another. That might also be why that other place – Stormbreak, was it, right? – doesn't want a portal." She sighed. It was a depressing thought.

At Cam's next remark, Lilliane smiled. "That's good to hear. And also I think it's the thought that counts. What matters is that you wanted to help the people who took you in, not how much you actually did for them." She listened to their explanations about eating and taste. "Hmm... maybe I should have a chat with the Voice and tell her to give you guys a way to taste things." she said with a chuckle. "Jokes aside, I think it's quite sad that you can't even eat for taste. Then again, I'm not even sure how taste buds work. Maybe they are too complicated to replicate?"

"Well, right now it seems like a no-brainer to me too. But so far my information is kind of one-sided." she said with a smile and a shrug. "Either way, even if I end up agreeing with some of the points the followers of the Old Gods make, I'll never agree with annihilating a bunch of people because of it. There's always another way." Though it was often difficult to see. And took a lot of mental and emotional strength to follow. Especially for those involved. "We just need to find it."
Lilliane