my heart is yellow
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
i promise you i will learn from all my mistakes
"Mmhmm. Right here and now." Tobi confirms, her eyes narrowing slightly as she glances sidelong at Finn. Unable to help herself, Tobi has to laugh at the idea of Finn climbing a tree. Indeed as she glances about, their pathway being surrounded by tower oaks, the doctor simply can't picture a world where Finn would want to climb a tree. 'Well...do you want to?' She asks, inclining her head towards a particularly branchy willow that begs to be climbed.

'The needle?' Frowning, her mind going to the thick patchwork of scars on Finn's back, Tobi finds her amusement about tree-climbing suddenly lodged in the back of her throat like an ice-cube. "Mmmm...my five-year-old self would probably be looking for something to bring back to my mom and dad. Maybe even a trinket from an Outlander for their research." A bittersweet smile pulls at Tobi's lips, and the doctor bites at the inside of her cheek to keep the frown that's trying to take hold from doing so.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
we are all broken
"Hmm...? Oh, no - my adult self is quite content with my feet on the ground," Finn says with a small smile, though he does gaze up at the tree with all of a scholar's interest. Undoubtedly he is tracking the signs of age and considering the wildlife that might make themselves at home in such a place, only glancing away when Tobi speaks again. "Yes, to visit my father," he explains. "He was at Judgement's Needle by the time I was that age, I think. He died shortly after."

Bittersweetness is the nature of the conversation, it seems, and while Finn keeps his eyes forward, he does offer Tobi's hand a gentle squeeze. "What kind of trinket do you think they would like from the stalls?" he asks, all practiced conversation and polite questions. For now at least, anyway.
that’s how the light gets in
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"No? Well, if you're sure..." Tobi isn't surprised to hear Finn decline and were she at all the athletic-type she might have protested his decision. As it was, the doctor just shrugs amicably at his side and nods. "Oh...what...happened to him?" Finn will feel Tobi's fingers pulse a single time in his as her voice softens. Normally she would have followed it up with a we don't have to talk about it if you don't want, but she doesn't this time. Finn had to know by now that he could set boundaries with her.

'Oh...' Sighing wistfully, Tobi smiles fondly as she gives her head a shake. "I would probably try and find something made by the fae that we didn't have in Stormbreak. Some cooking utensil, or maybe a different type of quill and paper." Shrugging and letting memories of simpler times wash over her, back when her mother was alive and when her father was the most brilliant man, the doctor smiles again. "But scholars...well, it isn't as though we ever had a lot to trade with, so I would likely have had to settle for something less grand than what I would have actually wanted to bring home."
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
we are all broken
They pass beneath the willow tree and out onto a dirt path flanked by a sign written in the Fae tongue - Finn has learned that it matters very little what the sign means, for the Greatwood would decide if and when to get them to their destination. "Oh, he was a researcher," the Spyglass explains softly. "I suppose he got a little too close to his work. He... well, it certainly seemed as though he had begun to sympathise with Abandoned. They arrested him, and he died in his cell."

Finn speaks with the distant retelling of one who had heard the tale secondhand and then some; too young to truly comprehend what had happened, his only memories of his father are similar to Tobi's, in that they are drenched in sunlight and the innocence of youth. "Do you think you might pick something up for your father, before we leave?" he asks, more curious than anything.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
Tobi, lost in all things Finn, doesn't notice at all where they're going. She wouldn't have bothered trying to direct them anyway, and not only because of the Greatwood's propensity to do as it pleased, but because of her horrible sense of direction.

Exhaling softly, Tobi isn't inclined to offer Finn her pity. Instead, she blinks thoughtfully at the ground before them. "I can understand that. If the Voice hadn't done what she did, the abandoned would still be thought of as the whatever we called them before, I forget. That isn't their fault." Nor was it the fault of cells that were invaded by cancer, but they were cut out before they could become harmful just the same. "In his cell...gods, that's awful. Did you know?" Were you an orphan? When did you go to Molly's? How long did you live on the streets? All these questions and more buzzed on Tobi's tongue, but wisely she simply asked things one at a time.

As for her own memories, Tobi just smiles and shakes her head. "No...I don't think so. It would just become another nicknack to be thrown out, when he..." Trailing off, not even Tobi's resounding practicality when it came to death could dampen the small tremor in her voice. "..when he dies." She makes herself say.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Humming a sound that isn't agreement but isn't disagreement either, Finn has had plenty of time to think on his father's sins. On the what ifs and how could yous and what about mes that had haunted his child's mind in the years immediately following the death at the cells. "I knew, yes. My mother told me. It was a year or two after that when she..." Scrunching his nose, he shakes his head. "When she commited suicide," he makes himself say, unsure whether he needs to say it for Tobi's sake or his own.

The gorgeous greens and smell of blossoms is lost on Finn momentarily, and he slips his hand out of Tobi's that he might slip it around her shoulders instead. "What if," he suggests quietly, "we choose something that he would have chosen, from the stalls. And then we can give it to Everest, as a gift from him." The boy would never know his grandfather the way his mother did, but maybe that gap could be bridged, however small the gesture.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
That bit she knew about. Gossip had spread through Stormbreak like wildfire, about the woman who had gone mad and thrown herself off of the Falling. To hear Finn say it though makes Tobi's blood run cold, and though it probably isn't at all what the moment calls for, the doctor finds herself pausing and simultaneously tugging on Finn's hand to pull him around to her. Standing on her toes and pressing herself against him, Tobi wraps her arms around his neck, burying her nose into his collar that she might simply hug him. It wouldn't do any good, couldn't fix or heal anything, and nor could she promise to always be around...but what she could do was love him fiercely in the here and now, and hug him beneath the towering boughs of the Greatwood.

Finn's suggestion is a good one, a really good one in fact. So much so that Tobi finds her throat all the more tightly closed with emotion than it already was. "I—" She croaks, swallowing hard. '..that's a really lovely idea. Maybe on the way back? I think I'll just start to cry if we go wandering through now." Tobi readily admits, laughing at herself and the thin sheen of tears already sparkling across her eyes.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Finn has no idea where this conversation is going to go from here; he has never navigated to far from social norms, and he is about to openly admit as much when suddenly Tobi is drawing him into a hug, and he finds his arms automatically moving around her. Offering comfort in this way is something that the Spyglass is getting accustomed to especially with the new waters he's treading with the doctor, but receiving it is still relatively new.

All the same, he swallows hard and draws her tightly against his chest, as if she has reached inside him and turned a key to a door that has remained closed for so long it has rusted shut. "It's okay," he says; a lie that rings out for the both of them. "And I don't want to make you cry. That is not date protocol - I know that much for sure." Releasing her only enough that they might continue along the flower-strewn pathway, the Spyglass gazes up at the branches that stretch above.

"We ought to come here again in Leafchange," he remarks. "I think you would like the colours."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
"shhhh." She mumbles against him as he tells her it's okay; this being both a lie, and the truth. It's okay in the sense that they're both fine, and allowed to feel sad, and it's alright that it's weird, but it's also not okay for any child to be left alone the way Finn had. Despite his arms around her, Tobi wonders if perhaps this isn't too much for him, and so when he releases her, she breathes in deeply and tries to exhale the weight resting against her chest.

"And just where did you learn about dating protocol?" She wonders, playfully narrowing her eyes a touch. Glancing up as well, Tobi considers the leaves overhead. Not in the past five years or so has she ever had time simply to stroll and enjoy the scenery, nor did it particularly interest her much. Now though, with thoughts of bright colours and perhaps a hot chocolate warming her hands, Tobi suddenly thinks she'd quite like to come back and see the leaves. "Okay." She agrees, beaming up at Finn. "It's a date."
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
"There are books on every subject imaginable," Finn says dryly, a small smile playing across his lips. Has he been researching dates in the same way he might research demigods? That is between Finn, the librarian, and perhaps his sense of humour. Either way, he doesn't need to read or study or do anything scholarly to know that he enjoys this; the soft tranquility of a stroll through the woods with Tobi is both everything and nothing like he imagined today would be, and he feels some tense little thread within him start to slowly unspool.

"That's two dates we have planned, just since we have been here," he remarks, about to suggest that they add a third to the list when the sound of rushing water up ahead draws his attention. It isn't the Crimson Cataract, he doesn't think, but they are likely about to come upon the Stonesong. "I wonder if we will pass by the Sea of Branches," he says, almost to himself.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
'Well alright then. What else have you learned?' Tobi wonders, genuinely curious despite the prodding way she bounces her eyebrows at him. She assumed there would be bits about actively listening, pulling out chairs, complimenting one's date and so on, but was there anything more interesting than that? Or perhaps something absurdly archaic, or completely inappropriate? She sort of hoped there was.

"We are nothing if not very good at planning things." The doctor agrees, biting back on a laugh. Just because they hadn't planned Everest didn't mean they weren't good planners in general...right? 'Is that...on the way?' Tobi wonders politely, thinking that a sea of branches sounded like a terrible sort of thing. Chuckling, Tobi grins up at Finn. "Maybe I should have asked Ever for a geography lesson before setting out." She muses.
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
"Oh, you know. Manners, etiquette, how to be a gentlemen, that sort of thing," Finn says, before offering Tobi a small smile. "I am making it up," he says, if she hadn't realised that yet. "There is no book like that, not in the Archives anyway. Though I did learn my share of things whilst I was at Mother Molly's." He shrugs his shoulders. They duck through a copse of trees and a small meadow of wildflowers before coming upon the bank of the Stonesong, it's rushing waters babbling up at them.

"I am not sure a geography lesson would have worked," he admits. "The Greatwood could throw us out along any part of the Stonesong, after all. It doesn't look like the Sea of Branches is around here... but there is a houseboat up ahead," he says, nodding at what is (obviously) the Taliesins' home in the near distance.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
She absolutely hasn't realized it yet, if only because this sounds like exactly the sort of thing one would expect from Finn. "Oh..oh." Chuckling and scrunching her nose up at him as if annoyed, Tobi laughs. "How would you know there was no book like that unless you looked for it..?" She wonders mischievously, grinning as if she's just caught him out in something.

Breathing in deeply, Tobi lets the scent of wildflowers and freshwater fill her lungs until she feels fit to burst. Only then does she sigh the air out as her gaze settles on the houseboat in the distance. "Dear Greatwood—Unless you want me to get into a shouting match with one of your rulers, do you think you could take us toward the Cataract and away from the Taliesin's houseboat?" Tilting her head expectantly, as if the Greatwood was just going to shuffle itself around before her eyes, she quickly adds: "Please and thank you."
October
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Luckily for Tobi, Finn is not the type to enjoy tricking someone, and he offers her a warm smile for her trouble that promptly becomes very flushed cheeks and a dry mouth. "Why, I couldn't possibly say," he murmurs quickly, his words spoken more to the riverbank than anything else. "I can tell you that there are a plethora of books about cookery and table arrangements. And also a lot about arranging a bouquet of flowers." And now Finn knows all about that, because he'd read them just in case.

He has no idea where the Taliesins live or what their houseboat looks like (or that they live in one), so as Tobi suddenly blurts it all out, he stiffens and frowns. "Oh... we ought to go back into the woods," he says, guiding her back towards the undergrowth in the hope that the Greatwood will spit them out in another place.