I have questions
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3345
Are you sure about that?
Edmund sits up straighter as his Mum's demeanor changes. It's clear even to a child so young that her next words are important and so his focus lasers in. The description of the Ascended makes his small brow furrow, "They bite people? That's so mean. You're not supposed to bite people Mummy. " One thing sticks with him, and Edmund's eyes soften with pity as he looks at his Mum sadly, "They really can't go out in the sun? Or feel a warm hug? That sounds so lonely."

The concept of feeling so cold is hard for Edmund to process and the mere idea makes his heart ache. "Is there a way to save them from the Voice? I don't want anyone to have to feel that way, Mummy. It's too sad."

The rest though sends a shiver down his spine, "She can control them? They feel cold and she controls them? Mummy, that's horrible..." He really hopes there's a way to help them. No one deserves that.  The portals sound less scary thankfully, but Edmund gives a firm nod, "I promise Mummy. I won't use them."
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room
If it wasn't for the seriousness of the conversation, Maeve might have laughed at her son's words, but her own smile is sad as she looks down at him. "No, it isn't nice to do." Of course she doesn't mention the pleasure it makes one feel. That's not necessary for him to know. "Some can go in the sun as they get stronger, but not all. They can feel the pressure. They know what it is. They just don't feel it like we do." Maeve explains gently, hating the way his shoulders fall and his brow pinches, knowing it was only going to get worse.

"They used to be like us, darling. Accepted or Abandoned. They chose that life. They turned their backs on the Old Gods in favor of the Voice." Her own voice dips, a frown tugging at the corners of her lips, hating that they even had to talk about this at all. "And it is sad, but there isn't anything we can do. Not after they've made that choice."

Maeve lets out a long breath, "I know it is. It also makes them dangerous. Just like the portals." Never mind the fact that Abandoned can't go through them anyway. She doesn't want him to try. "I tell you this because things are changing in Caido. There is a war coming. It's been coming for a while now, but I promise you'll be safe. Mummy made sure of that by doing something for Safrin and in return Safrin has promised to keep all children safe from the fighting."

She fixes her gaze on him then, expression the most stern he's likely ever seen it, "But that means you can't go running off, okay? Even if Safrin can keep you safe there are bad people out there who can hurt you. Who might try to because you're my son. So you must be careful, alright? You can't trust everyone you meet."
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Are you sure about that?
Edmund's heart sinks further the longer his Mum speaks. The Ascended had been like them? They'd turned against the Old Gods? Against Lady Safrin? The mere idea is horrifying and incomprehensible. "How...why...why would anyone do that? Why choose that?" It didn't make sense to choose something if it only brought bad things. The small Abandoned can't help the tears that escape from his eyes. The entire situation is just too sad, too horrible.

"A war?", Edmund asks quietly, trying to rub the tears away and listen. He's read about them, heard about them. But to accept that one is coming is another story. But the mention of Lady Safrin's protection makes Edmund relax, a small smile stretching across his face. "You and Lady Safrin are amazing, Mummy." His Mummy had gone to his Goddess and together they'd ensure he'd be safe. He and all the other kids. It made the child's heart swell and he nuzzled into his mum's side happily, still sniffling. "Thank you, Mummy."

Then things grow serious once more as Edmund meets his mum's stern look. The warning makes him gulp slightly but the child nods. "Ok, Mummy. I'll be careful. But...who can I trust?" Surely it wasn't just his parents and Lady Safrin? What about his aunts and uncles? His friends? The world would be too empty and cold if he couldn't trust the people he loved.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He starts to cry and her heart shatters. Each tear causing another pang in her chest. Maeve gathers him into her arms, letting him crawl into her lap as she shushes him gently, rubbing at his back and cradling his small form to her chest. "Shhh... I know, darling. I know. It's hard to understand and I don't have all the answers for you. I wish I did." She murmurs, pressing a kiss to the top of his head as her own tears threaten to slip down her cheeks, stinging her eyes.

"They decided that they didn't want to follow the Old Gods. That the Voice and her teachings were what they wanted. We can't change that now. I- I know some Ascended and while I want to believe they wouldn't ever hurt me or you or the people I care about... The Voice doesn't want the Old Gods here. She wants to be more powerful. That's what makes them and her dangerous."

There was a lot of noise from both sides of things. The Ascended claiming to only want peace, but actively fighting against the Old Gods, attempting to become more powerful. The Old Gods in turn fighting back against the Voice. All of it was a mess. Maeve wanted none of it. She hated it. Why they couldn't simply be was beyond her, but it was never meant to go that way. Not when the Voice made her choice to try and become a goddess.

She nods, drawing back to wipe his tears from his cheeks, cupping his face with her palms. "I promise, we'll always keep you safe, my love. Always." A lot of things might be unknown, but that wasn't one of them.

Maeve lets out a soft breath, considering for a moment, "You can trust myself and your poppa. You can trust your Auntie Ray and Uncle Harper. Sunjata, too." Those were people that he knew, but there were others, of course. Those he hadn't met yet, but she knows would keep him safe no matter what. "Remi and Ronin Taliesin. Ronin is Safrin's demigod and Remi is a dear friend of mine. Both of them would do everything in their power to keep you safe." She draws back, reaching over for a box off the side table, bringing it back between them.

"This, however, is something very important and special. I have the other one here." Maeve suddenly pulls a delicate glass pendant from the inside of her dress, a sprig of fresh lavender encased inside, still fresh as the day it was plucked. "All you have to do when you wear this pendant is to clutch it close and think of me. Then I'll be right at your side in a matter of seconds." She explains, pulling the other pendant from the box and placing it around his neck, letting it rest against his chest.

Maeve has given Edmund the other half of this!

Type: Light
With Me Now Pendant | Two glass pendants filled with lavender that will never wilt. When the recipient pendant is tightly held, Maeve's pendant will glow with purple light. She has 5 seconds to put down the pendant, or else she will be instantly transported to wherever the recipient pendant is, regardless of location. (Made by Safrin)
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Are you sure about that?
Still sniffling, Edmund nods against his Mum's shoulder as he listens. The picture she paints is bleak and it's hard for the child to fathom. The Voice sounds horrible, and it almost sounds like she's not letting her Ascended be friends with anyone who wasn't one. The thought sends another pang of grief through the child and his sniffling renews once more.

Trying to wipe the tears from his face so that he can look at his Mummy, Edmund memorizes the names he's given. "You and Papa, my Aunties and Uncles, and your friends Uncle Remi and Uncle Ronin." If they were close with his Mummy, then they were also his uncles. Just like Uncle Harper and Uncle Jata. Edmund hopes he can meet his new uncles soon and put faces to the names. He blinks as something processes, "Uncle Ronin is Safrin's Demi-god? What's a Demi-god?" It sounds like something special.

And then his Mummy places the most beautiful pendant he's ever seen around his neck. Edmund holds the glass reverently as his Mum explains what it is. Yet another means she's taken to keep him safe. The child's eyes well up with tears once more, but not of fear or sadness. This time, it's the love and gratefulness he feels towards him Mummy. Hugging her as tightly as he can and nuzzling into her side, the small Abandoned tries to put his emotions into words, "Thank you, thank you Mummy. You're amazing. I love you so much."
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
She hates to see him cry, knowing that the things she's told him have caused so much grief, but Maeve knows it's important for him to hear all of this. Maeve cradles him close, letting him get it all out before pushing forward, telling him who it was he could trust. Those who would keep him safe.

The next question is much easier for her to answer. "He is. He was picked special by Safrin to be her champion." He was much more than that, but Edmund didn't need to know all the ins and outs of it. "They're like us, but much stronger. They have magic and shifts and they're meant to protect us." It was a simple explanation, but that was all that was needed.

His hug is fierce and it pulls a laugh from her as she wraps her arms around him, laying her cheek against the top of his head, snuggling him into her warmth. "I love you too, my star. Always. Know that I'll always keep you safe to the best of my ability."
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Are you sure about that?
Uncle Ronin is instantly the coolest person that Edmund has ever heard of. "He's Lady Safrin's champion?! Wow! I want to meet him!" Lady Safrin is incredible, so her champion had to be as well. And Ronin was his uncle! How luck was he? He had so many questions that he wanted to ask the demigod should they ever meet.

His Mum's hug makes everything right in the world once more. Hearing her laugh is just the icing on the cake. "You too Mummy. I'll keep you safe too." Edmund was merely a child, his fire magic mere embers at the moment. But he would do his very best to keep his family safe. To make his Mummy, his Papa, and Lady Safrin proud.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve makes a silent reminder to herself to reach out to Ronin soon and set up a little meeting for them to meet. It would be good for her son to know who he could rely on and what faith could do for a person. She huffs another soft laugh as she squeezes him close, "I'm sure you will someday. He's a good friend of mine and I'm very close to his husband. They're some of the few people I trust with my life." Maeve draws back to meet his gaze, love swelling in her chest at his declaration, wondering how she got so luck to have him as her son.

"I have no doubt, my star. Now, how about some dinner? I'm sure you're hungry." With that, Maeve releases him, standing and offering her hand to him so he might join her in the kitchen. For that one moment, there was nothing outside of their home that she could want more.

~FIN <3~
Maeve