daylight fading
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia

It's later in the afternoon when Aurelia makes her way over to the Lunarium Apothecary. The sun has sunk in the sky enough that shades of orange pink have started to blot the clouds, but the night still feels a ways off. She looks up from the streets around her at the front doors of Ray's shop, eyeing the various plants that decorate its entrance. She remembers fondly the days she'd spent helping renovate the place.

Her mind continues to wander along those memories as she opens the doors, making no effort to hide her arrival -- but also not trying to disturb anything. If Ray was working or helping someone, then she didn't want to make enough noise to startle.

She walks into the front room, looking around for any sign of her friend. It had been a while since they'd last seen each other, and under different circumstances too. She wants to believe that Ray will understand why she couldn't just come straight back home, hoping that the other woman wasn't disappointed in her.

It takes her a few moments to muster up the courage to call out into the back of the shop, "Ray? Are you here?" she takes a few further steps, "It's... me. Aurelia."
What is clear is what is gold
You're only human after all
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray had heard the whispers and rumors surrounding Aurelia's disappearance. She'd heard that her friend was back but had waited impatiently to see her. The herbalist had heard quite a few contradicting explanations, many of which hinted that the other woman might want space and to reach out on her own time. Ray had been hoping that Aurelia might come to her soon.

So when she's placing a vial away in her workshop and hears a familiar voice call out, Ray freezes. Only for a moment because in the next she's rushing to the front of her shop, "Aurelia!" Once she spots Aurelia, tension bleeds out of the herbalist as she sees that yes, her friend is in one piece.

Placing her hands on the women's cheeks, Ray scans her friend for any lingering signs of injury or infection. The limp is noted, and she files that away for late. "I've been so worried. How are you feeling? What happened?" Despite what she may have heard, Ray wants to hear it from Aurelia so that she knows the truth.

Stepping back, Ray flips the sign on her shop to 'Closed' and locks the door. She then gently begins to lead Aurelia to her apartment, "Come on. We can talk upstairs. I've missed you, Aurelia. I'm so glad that you've come home." Each word is earnest and filled with Ray's concern for her friend.
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia doesn't know what to expect but, she's definitely taken by surprise when Ray's hands grasp her by the face. The motions that follow remind her of her mother, that same kind of concern, and for a moment Aurelia's heart pauses from a longing that almost winds her.

Reaching up, she gently grasps Ray's hands and pulls them down, just enough that she can hold them in her own hands for a moment. With a flustered half-sigh half-laugh, she says, "I'm okay, Ray."

She lets go of Ray as she goes to close the shop, and she opens her mouth to protest, to say that she needn't go to such lengths. Before she can, her friend is sweeping her up the stairs and stunning her by how much she'd cared. For a few moments, Aurelia is stunned into silence as she walks up the stairs. It's not easy because of her limp but she stuffs down the pain for now.

"I'm glad to be back," she assures Ray, turning to look at her with a soft-edged smile at the top of the staircase, "I missed you. I missed our talks..." Ray had always been a good friend to her, to anyone as far as she could see. Aurelia was always surprised at her kind heart, but it's also something she greatly admires. With a more somber expression, she begins to walk over to the couch within Ray's apartment to sit down and explain everything.

She explains from the point of getting separated from her companions on their quest in Hak Etme, to the spirits that haunted her in the Wilds, to the infection that spread from her leg to her blood. And then Mildew, who had found her struggling against her own insanity, hallucinations, spirits - whatever it had truly been, she still isn't sure. "I waited to leave the swamps until I was able to make the journey home on my own. I still have the stitches in, so I made most of the trip shifted," she finally says in conclusion, drawing in a breath and meeting the other woman's gaze. "I'm sorry I worried you. Have things been alright here? How have you been?"
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
It might seem like a lot, but to Ray its common sense. She looks out for her people and as her friend, Aurelia is one of them. Come hell or high water the herbalist will care for, protect, and fight for those she loves. It was just who she is.

Ray smiles warmly at her friend as they enter her apartment, "I'm glad you're ok." Starting some tea and grabbing some cookies she baked yesterday, Ray then joins Aurelia on the couch. The hybrid's words make her smile grow softer, a bit sad. "Me too. I wasn't sure if we'd ever be able to talk like this again. I'm glad to have been proven wrong."

Ray listens quietly as Aurelia explains where she's been and the hardships she's faced. It makes the herbalist's heart ache to hear. Her friend has been through too much. At the mention of stitches, her eyes go to the woman's leg. "May I see? I'm sure it's fine but I'd like to check over the injury myself. If you're comfortable with that, that is?" Ray would never push her. If it's been treated already and Aurelia says no, then that was ok with her.

As Aurelia's eyes meet hers, Ray gives her friend a reassuring smile. "Torchline has been good. Things are chaotic elsewhere in Caido but thankfully we've avoided the worst so far. Halo in particular has had rotten luck the past few seasons from what I hear."

As for herself, the herbalist gives a small shrug, a playful twinkle coming to her eyes. "I've been good. Still getting up to the same trouble as usual if not busier. I've been stocking up on necessities and rare herbs and remedies while we have the chance." Who knew what would become of supply chains when the war truly started?
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia's lips shift, smile softening. She's glad to have proven Ray wrong in that regard, no matter how hard a pill it is to swallow that she should have died. It's fair of everyone to think it, she reminds herself. At Ray's interest in her leg, Aurelia chuckles softly. She should have expected as much concern from the herbalist. It was her calling after all. Sighing and relenting, she says, "I actually will need the stitches removed by now, I think. Also... there's still some pain leftover. Makes it hard to walk right. I hope it will go away with time but if you have anything that might help soothe it, make walking easier, that would be a blessing." Something strong, she wants to say, but she would take whatever Ray offered. "I can repay you for the supplies. If there's anything you need, or need replaced..." She hates to ask without offering something in return, grimacing gently at the thought of that.

The mention of Halo running into more difficulty catches Aurelia's attention, but she lets the instinct die. She's not queen anymore, she needn't concern herself with the political side of things. But it would help to get her mind off of a few things. She adjusts to sit more comfortably and settles further into the couch. "That's good," she comments about Ray's wellbeing and forethought, happy to hear that her friend hasn't faced too much noteworthy hardship, and has considered the possibilities of their future. "I'm reminded why I chose you for Torchline's council," she says fondly, reaching out to kindly rest her hand on Ray, be it hand or shoulder (whatever feels right), "you're good for our people."

Leaning back again, she asks with mild curiosity, "What's gone wrong in Halo? Is Warden Aristomache still in power?" She didn't know how much had changed or been uprooted in her absence.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
"Alright, let me get the kit", Ray retrieves her med kit and returns to where her friend is waiting. Making Aurelia place her leg on the couch, the herbalist gets to work. Numbing the area with a cream, she begins to carefully remove the stitches and inspect the injury. "Pain, you said? I can give you a cream for that to bring down any swelling. I also have a few canes and crutches that you can choose from. Most of them are wood or metal so they should be strong enough to do the trick." As she works, Ray is pleased to see that the hybrid's leg is healing well.

Ray lets out a snort of laughter, "Aurelia do you actually think I'd charge you anything? If you feel that you need to, I'm fine with you helping out around here." Her smile turns mischievous, "That way I can keep an eye on you and your recovery." Ray knew that her friend might feel uneasy not paying back the favor so hopefully the deal she just offered would settle her nerves.

The compliment makes Ray smile softly at her former queen, "Thank you Aurelia, that means a lot." The herbalist had been doing her very best at taking care of her people. She was used to running her network and business, but politics were a new field entirely. One that she sometimes wondered if she was doing correctly or not.

Halo's name pulls a heavy sigh from Ray. "Warden Aristomache is still in charge. But the Longnight right after her return a Longnight monster attacked the Citadel. And not long after the Sea of Glass broke open a giant monster was let loose. As far as I know, there haven't been casualties, but the people have been through far too much in too short of a time." It made her wonder if they'd managed to start any war preparations at all.
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia pulls up the leg of her pants carefully over the wound, tucking it behind her knee and letting Ray do what healers do best. The numbing cream sets in and she tilts her head back, sighing gratefully for the chance to just not feel the pain for a moment. The wound itself? It's a bit pink, swollen and agitated more from walking than from any issue with the stitches. It seems almost healed, or getting there, and the thread comes out easily enough. "I think even I'm too proud to walk with a cane," she jokes, chuckling as she brings her head back up, "I don't think it's that bad, just needs more time. But something to bring down the swelling would be helpful. It tends to swell up at the end of the day.." Like now, for instance.

They're both stubborn about their moral principles, it would seem. It makes Aurelia smile with slight amusement and defeat. But the idea of helping Ray out around the shop? Doesn't seem like a bad one. She shrugs one shoulder and says, "Well, I'd love to learn more about what you do... I've never been much of a healer. I can do bandages and maybe stitches in a pinch, but it wouldn't be nearly as clean as that," and she motions briefly to her knee, "but I need to get better at that kind of thing." Considering what would be coming...

But the mention of LongNight monsters and sea monsters dissolves any mirth in Aurelia's expression, in favor of taking the news seriously. "A Longnight monster..?" Her gaze fixes on the table, thinking, "I wonder how it ended up in Halo. I thought they could only come out in the Grounds? Hopefully it was a-a straggler... not a sign of something worse to come..." And for the Sea of Glass, "Seren wanted me to help her break the surface of the sea out there... was it her that did it? Is that why I haven't seen much of her?"
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray snickers and eyes her friend knowingly, "Alright. But if it gets worse, I might make you." Retrieving the cream once the stitches are out, she applies it and dresses the injury. Hopefully that would be enough, or she really might force Aurelia to take further measures. It pleases the herbalist nonetheless that Aurelia agrees readily enough to helping out in her shop, and she perks up at the idea of passing on some of her knowledge. "I'd love to teach you! Knowing the basics is always worth it." Ray had considered holding workshops to teach such skills, but she was too busy at the moment to set them up. Hopefully in the near future that would change.

The herbalist sighs as the former queen takes in the information about Halo. "I think they said it came through the portal. I hope it was a straggler as well but only time will tell." If there were more, then hopefully their numbers were low enough to deal with.

The mention of Seren however makes Ray's shoulders sag. It seems Aurelia hadn't been told yet and the herbalist hates that she's the one who has to hurt her friend with the news. "Seren...left. I don't know all the details but apparently, she's back in the stars with Safrin. I think her mom called her back for something. But...it doesn't look like she'll be back in the near future." Ray's voice is mournful, Seren was her friend too. She missed the Demi-god and her sweet disposition. The Attuned reaches out and takes Aurelia's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze of comfort.
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia nods in agreement, glad that Ray could understand her desire to learn more about the work she did. "How did you get to be so good at this? Did you have a teacher, or did you learn as you went?" She asks curiously, wondering where the experience had been built and bolstered from, where it had all begun for Ray. It doesn't surprise her that healing was Ray's chosen field, not now that she had begun to know the woman and her caring nature. The first time they'd met, she'd been ready to mend a bloody nose on the fly.

Only time will tell. That is something which doesn't quite sit well with Aurelia. Milo is convinced that Torchline was a safe haven of sorts during Longnight. What would happen to him if monsters erupted from the portals? Would he survive such an event? Would others, unsuspecting as they were? "No one knows, then," she murmurs in disbelief, "Certainly one of the Gods should have answers, at the very least? What if they come here next? There's a lot more people here than in Halo..." and the consequences of no preparation could be far greater.

Her expression darkens and muddles with confusion, worsened by the fact that Seren is.. gone. Her lips form a tight line and, truthfully, she doesn't know how she feels about it right off the bat. But she does know one thing: "Seren wasn't made for this world," she says, scoffing sadly, "she's too... good. Maybe she's better off with her mother, until the war is over. I hope, anyway." Hopefully something tragic hadn't befallen the young girl, causing her to be sequestered away. Ray's touch feels as though it's an anchor, and Aurelia smiles distractedly at her friend, reaching to place her other hand over hers to reassure the woman that she's alright.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Aurelia's question makes Ray smile sadly, "This shop actually used to be my mom's. I trained with her for years and when she passed, I took over." The smile grows a little mischievous and she glances towards the back, indicating the backroom of the shop where informants sometimes gathered, "The network was my dad's. I inherited that too." Taking over both family businesses had been quite hectic in the first few years, but the herbalist had found her stride.

The hybrid's concerns are valid and Ray nods in agreement, "I know. It's not enough information. I'm not sure if anyone has gotten around to asking the Gods. We might need to add that to our list of things to do." That list seems to be growing by the day and it was frankly getting overwhelming. The herbalist honestly wasn't sure if everything could get done before the war broke out.

The discussion about Seren makes Ray let out a heavy, grief-filled sigh. "She wasn't. Incredibly kind and trusting, I worried about her a lot. But she was so strong too. I hope she's happy where she is." It settles something in the herbalist's heart when her friend returns the handhold. Ray had been worried about Aurelia's reaction, but she seemed to be taking the news well enough.
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Ray's expression rims with sadness as she talks about her mother, and Aurelia's brows furrow with empathetic concern. "I lost my parents too," she says, equally as sad, but when her friend brightens up a little she doesn't say anything more about it for fear of bogging things down - moreso than they already were with stresses about the war, longnight monsters, and disappearing demigods.

If Aurelia didn't have reason enough to goad her to go and speak to the Gods, now she feels as though she does. But her mind doesn't immediately jump to Safrin, thinking that herald may not be the one with the answers. She only hums thoughtfully, though, afraid to voice her real thoughts on that matter given the current political climate. Something else does occur to her, though, and she asks, "Oh- did you ever get a chance to visit one of the Gods? I remember you were hoping to before, when we talked about Safrin and Rae." She'd hoped, in the back of her mind, that her friend's prayer - whatever it was - would get answered.

Not being able to do or say much more for Seren, Aurelia lets the sadder topic fall away to the back of her mind. Refocusing on Ray's herbalism, she prods curiously for more information. "How do you remember everything your mother taught you? I can't imagine trying to remember all the herbs and remedies by heart," seemed impossible to her, "and how do you make things like.. this cream? Do you use the whole plant or just.. parts of it?" Truly clueless on the matter, Aurelia finds more and more questions coming to mind.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray gives her friend's hand quick in solidarity of their shared grief. There's a lot of heavy emotion there and she's glad that Aurelia drops the topic. The mention of the gods makes the herbalist perk up further. "Yes, actually!" It was one part of war preparations that was going as planned.

Cheerfully, she fills her friend in. "Although I never got a response form Safrin, I went to Frey's shrine. They answered. I went on a quest and retrieved one of Rae's Lillis. They have incredible healing properties. I'm currently gathering other ingredients to turn the lily into a healing item. Frey has been incredibly helpful in helping me prepare for the war." The herbalist was incredibly grateful for the aid the deity had been willing to provide. The more Ray prepared now, the more lives she could save when the time came.

The barrage of questions about her profession is more than welcome. The herbalist was passionate about her work and had no problem talking about it. "I do have some of the things I make regularly memorized. But the rest are all written down in excruciating detail. My mom left journals behind and while I was training, she made me create my own, even if was duplicates of the same information. The end result is that I have a massive collection in my workshop. Every herb I know, and every remedy is diagramed and catalogued with all the characteristics, identifying features, and information I have on it." The amount of information on those bookshelves was staggering and Ray was quite proud of it all. "I can show you sometime if you're curious."

As for the actual remedies? Ray has to chuckle at the questions. "It depends. Some plants can just be ground down and added to bases made of sugar, oil, or dairy to make pastes, creams, etc. But for many, only parts of the plant have the properties. You have to use the correct part of the plant, whether it be the roots, leaves, or boiled extracts. And some parts of the same plant have different properties. The same plant can make a lifesaving treatment or a deadly poison. It all depends on what part of the plant and how you prepare it." It was why her recipes and notes were so detailed. Messing up could be deadly.

The herbalist pauses, realizing the amount of information she just dumped on her friend. "Ah, that was a lot, wasn't it? Is there anything you want me to clarify?"
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

"Oh, wow. That's great!" She grins at Ray's news, that Frey would be helping her friend prepare something that would aid her in the days, weeks, and even months to follow. Nevermind that Safrin hadn't answered - she had done her part in trying to lead Ray to the goddess, the rest had been up to Safrin. But Frey seemed a suitable choice in the endeavors regardless. "A healing item will be invaluable to you - even outside of the war. Do you think you'll really... involve yourself in it, when it happens? If you have a choice, I mean," she knows the question is very pointed, but she's wondering where her friend really stands in all of this. What she might do, when the time came and lines were drawn into the proverbial sand.

Aurelia's eyes widen as Ray begins, and seems to never stop. Clearly it's something she likes to talk about, and Aurelia is happy to try her best to retain the information - even if it comes out all at once. When Ray's finished and seems to realize she's dumped a lot out, Aurelia smiles and shakes her head. "No, no that all makes a lot of sense, I guess I just never really thought about it or did any research into what it takes to be.. well, someone like you," she says, "It seems easier than I thought in some ways but, harder in others... and it sounds like it takes a lot of time and dedication..." She'd always respected and admired Ray before but now she feels much more illuminated to the lengths her friend goes to ensure she doesn't get things wrong - like accidentally poisoning somebody.

"Well... it makes me wonder how anybody found out what all the different plants can do - or not do. Like, if you were to come across a plant you don't know, and it isn't in any of your books," she leans forward a bit more now, leaning her chin on her hand, interest piqued, "how do you figure out if it's good for anything? Or poisonous or.. whatever."
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray caught on quickly and let out a chuckle, eyeing her friend with a teasing grin. "Very discreet, Aurelia." Letting out another chuckle. the herbalist indulged her friend. Letting out a hum, she sat back and spoke, "To a degree, yes. I'll defend Torchline and her people should the time come." She had no interest in conquering or any glory. She just wanted to keep her people safe.

The herbalist shot Aurelia a smile, "But I intend for most of my contribution to be what I do best. Healing injuries and other collateral. It's part of why I've been stocking up on herbs and seeking aid from the Gods. I'm doing what I can to prepare for an influx of patients should the need arise." Her smile turned a bit severe, "And I intend to help anyone who comes to me seeking aid." All of Torchline was welcome, all races, all people. The herbalist gave a small shrug, relaxing once more, "I'm devoted to Rae and Frey, but I'm a healer. I can't turn bear the thought of turning someone away. Where do you stand?"

Aurelia's continuing questions have Ray grinning. It made her happy for her friend to show interest in her work. The hybrid's questions are valid, but the herbalist can't help but snicker. "The truth? Most of the new discoveries show up at my door. Some poor soul mistakes a plant for something else and shows up at my door turning random colors and needing a cure." It had happened far too many times, and each resulted in a mad dash to find the plant and develop a remedy.

"Beyond that though, if I find a new plant, I first observe how other flora and fauna interact with it in nature. Then once I have a rough idea of its capabilities, I take samples and start experimenting. Testing how it reacts to other herbs and such. And if it appears safe enough, I do experiment, on myself or willing volunteers." The admission makes Ray smile sheepishly. It probably wasn't the best method, but she wasn't about to go around experimenting on animals. "Oh, and I document everything."
They have not
forgotten this