isn't she beautiful?
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK

Jack agrees with little more than a dip of his chin towards the ship, hoping that Safrin would indeed continue to smile down on him for all of this. It couldn't hurt, of that he is sure, but the mercurial goddess could be difficult to predict. That's sort of what Jack likes about her, though. Still, as the conversation moves into smaller spheres, the captain hears her out and hops up to sit on the wall, the heel of his boot kicking back against it.

"Least you're smart enough to know what you don't know. S'a good start," he mutters. "An' you're right. You've got a lot of makin' up to do with the crew. Plenty of work to do an' time to do it, but if you don't put the effort in, no amount of learnin' is gonna make a difference." As for her new status as a ghost? Jack snorts. "Just means you can reinvent yourself," he says. "Old you might be dead, now it's up to you to decide what the new you's gonna be."
believer... believe it or not you'll know
when it ends and how it goes
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
So never fear to feel good
when everything's wrong
She leans back against the wall as he hops up onto it, absently listening to the sound of his heel as it tap.. tap.. taps. Her gaze lifts when he speaks, though, the darkness in her eyes lifting with something akin to hopefulness. "If only that were easy," she murmurs, of the idea of reinvention and deciding what the new her would be. It's nice, though, how he tries to convince her it's not all over. "You're probably right, I guess. Usually are," she offers him a half-hearted smile, hoisting up the bottle to him with a questioning raise of one brow.

"D'you want me to be first mate?" Suppose it's better not to beat around the bush, especially when they both knew what she was trying to get at. She turns to face him more fully, resting her shoulder against the wall now instead of her back, and she places a hand on her outside hip. "I'd like to learn, if you want to teach me. But..." and she rolls her chin toward her shoulder, gaze averting for a second until she brings it back, "when the war starts, what will our plan be?"
and find some beauty there
'cause all we ever are is brave
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK

"Usually am," Jack agrees, rather than sniping at her with the objection of but it is that easy. The captain accepts the offered flask again, taking a generous sip this time and sitting back to soak in the ships, the port, the Longheat sun. He can sense Aurelia's question before it even comes, and it gives him a chance to decide his answer, in truth. Because even he isn't sure at this moment in time - there's a lot of pros he can see, but there's still a massive con.

"I had you in mind once before," he drawls, "and you went and became a queen. Then you disappeared. You plan to do some shit like that again?" He raises his eyebrows at her. "I don't care what your past is or what you do when you're off the ship, or what god you follow, so long as it ain't the Voice - but when you're on board, you're the Ark's."

As for the war? Jack shrugs. "I ain't a soldier an' the Ark ain't a warship. Imagine we'll be doin' much the same as we are now, except for the war cause."
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
when everything's wrong
Aurelia eyes him with a mixture of confusion and disbelief that she can't quite hide. One corner of her lip twists downward into a half-frown and she says, "I didn't plan on any of it before, so... no." Then, she shrugs and looks away. Easy enough to answer that. As for following the proper Old Gods? Aurelia doesn't think she needs to explain that bit. But it strikes her that he thinks he needs to clarify it at all. "You know, when I was queen, I wanted to get you a flying ship because I thought it would turn you in favor of Safrin - and it'd be good protection against anyone that wants to attack the city. Win-win. Plus, I owed you," she eyes him with a smirk, crossing her arms over her chest, "But I didn't think I'd end up being the one convincing you where I align."

But maybe Jack is even smarter than she already gives him credit for. Maybe he can see how things have changed, and maybe he suspects a similar change in her. She doesn't know. Maybe this, maybe that. Maybe she ought to tell him about her doubts, better he knows now than finding out later. On top of that, she wonders what he'll say. She considers him a friend, a support. Would that change if he knew how she actually felt?

"But... I am at a bit of a crossroads, admittedly. I follow Safrin. I want to keep following her, keep doing her work," she tilts her head forward a bit, staring at the figurehead as she speaks, "and I also want to do what I think is right. Before, those wants were in agreement. Unanimous. Now? They're conflicted." She doesn't look back at him this time, just braces for whatever he might say to that.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK

Jack furrows his brow at that, leaning back on one hand and letting his gaze slide across to her. "I just told you I didn't give a fuck about that shit as long as you put the Ark first, an' you just gave me a needlin' about beliefs an' Safrin an' gods," he says, as if she might have missed the very important didn't give a fuck aspect of what he was explaining. "I ain't a priest an' I don't forgive sins, Aurelia. I make people pay for 'em."

Getting to his feet, he hands the flask back to her and reaches into his pockets for a cigarette. "Job's yours if you want it. Torchline an' the Ark come first, though. Second that changes, so does our agreement. That easy enough for you?" he asks, lighting a match and taking a drag, before offering the cigarette out to her as well. "Don't fuck it up, yeah?"
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
when everything's wrong
Her teeth nibble at her bottom lip as he speaks, and for the most part she just sighs and takes it all in stride. Her brow quirks up at him when he hands the flask back to her, reaching up to take it back. She looks down at the bottle, fiddling with the top before eventually letting her arms fall at her sides - without having taken another drink. "Priests are full a shit and I've been paying for my sins since I can remember," she mutters humorously, the hint of a laugh in her voice.

The wind picks up and the ship creaks over the water, the sails billowing from the pressure, sparks floating off from Jack's lit cigarette as he hands it over to her. Glancing over at it and then up at him, then back again, she takes it. Rolling it between her fingers until the breeze dies back down, she takes a single puff off it and mumbles around the edges, "Easy enough..." (Except no, it wouldn't be, but here we go!)

fin.