she's my sunday candy
Mateo
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Age: 40 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 18 - Int:
OPHELIA - Regular - Brown Weeper Capuchin
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Ophelia has the zoomies. And Falke needs to get some fresh air anyway (because, as he often reminds Dr. Hart, we are just complex plants and need sunshine, water, and some exercise), because he has been cooped up for far too long, going over Mildew’s herbs and seeing if there’s anything else about them he can detect. The garden is mostly set up, so the two of them opt for a longer walk instead.

Phi’s observations and excited energy are infectious, and the Fixer really only has half an eye on the Road. The other is with his companion, who is somewhere up ahead of him, scampering up to people and finding things on the ground that catch her attention. It’s a good way to live. She brings out a childish wonder he’d allowed to go dormant. But as she starts to stray very far ahead of him, he has to call out, with a hand cupped to his mouth, “Ophelia!” tp try and reign her back.
FALKE

Table coding by Sky!
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
the earth has music for those who listen
Mateo's ahhh! is a mixture of surprise and delight, and it isn't clear whether or not he's found Ophelia or the monkey has found him. Either way, by the time Falke catches up to his companion it will be to see Mateo on his hands and knees, the basket he's been carrying (filled with carefully uprooted flowers and herbs, as well as a few bulbs and seeds) abandoned at his side.

"Well aren't you the best thing?" He beams at Ophelia, an expression that deepens the dimples on his cheeks. There's moss in his dark curls and dirt on the knees of his pants, which only matches up to the contents of his basket. He's been out looking for new specimens, though this is clearly much better than any plant.
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Age: 40 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Ophelia is the best thing, and Falke is quick to beam at the boy’s appreciation. The moment Mateo got down on her level, Phi started to climb him, which means she’s perched on his shoulder/back, tiny hands gently pulling at an ear and inspecting his thick head of curls. A piece of moss goes flying to the ground. “Hi,” Falke says, not so easily squatting down to join the two of them on their level (though he says nothing about the lack of ease), “This is Ophelia. I’m Falke. Mateo, right?" He'd seen the boy running around with Everest and heard the name more than once around the clinic. "Are you okay with her climbing on you like that?”

Consent is important. Even amongst companions. The Fixer is just doing his due diligence, because it already seems like the kid doesn’t mind.
FALKE

Table coding by Sky!
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"Hallo Ophelia. Hallo Falke," Mateo announces cheerfully, his accent rolling around their names with a musical cadence. He has absolutely no issue with the monkey climbing him, as evidenced by his laughter at the tiny and inquisitive hands that sort the moss from his curls and pull at his ears. "I do not mind at all," he assures the Fixer, sitting back on his knees to allow Ophelia to explore wherever she likes.

"She's very pretty. What is she?" he asks curiously; of course he has read about the animals of Caido and has seen more than a few weird and wonderful specimens in the Celestine, but this is altogether different.
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
Content to watch Phi’s ongoing grooming (she’s determined to find bugs, joke’s on her though, there probably aren’t any) and the boy’s obvious delight without any interference, Falke adjusts himself into a slightly more comfortable position - just in case he’s going to be here for a while. “She is a brown weeper capuchin, I believe. But I could be mistaken. There are several of her species that look very similar.” And of course, Phi can’t exactly point to a genus and species in a book, so the Fixer has made an educated guess.

“We met in the jungle outside Torchline. Near the base of Apopo.” Their origin story is utterly unimportant, but if Mateo asked, he would elaborate. For now, his gaze travels to the momentarily abandoned basket at he points at it with a finger. “What’s in there?”
FALKE

Table coding by Sky!
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
She won't find any bugs, unfortunately, but she will find more moss, and also a pink flower that Mateo liked the look of and so nestled in his hair (for fashion, you see). "A brown weeper," he repeats, trying to turn his head a bit to look at the curious little critter on his back. "Does that mean she cries a lot?" he wonders. "I hope not. She is too beautiful to be sad all of the time."

Shifting to also get comfortable while Phi makes her inspections, the boy raises his eyebrows at Falke. "Isn't that the volcano? The one that blew up?" he asks. "I think we read about it in class... Oh! These are some flowers and plants I found on the edges of the Feverlands. I was hoping I might be able to replant them and help them grow." Grabbing the basket, he moves to show the Fixer his treasures.
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
“Gods, I hope not,” though he chuckles at the kid’s wondering, Falke can’t help but want to reach out for Phi in that moment. “What kind of person would I be if my companion was crying all the time, hmmm?” And the only answer to that is: either a deeply depressed or a sorry and disgraceful one, indeed.

At this point, Phi has discovered for herself that Mateo’s head is bug-free and she moves on to other examinations; her little paws patter down his back and she swings down his arm to join the other two and the basket. As Falke’s sometimes-assistant, the monkey is no stranger to baskets and baggies and vials. “Yep,” a quick affirmation of the boy’s memory. “The one that blew up a few years ago. Luckily we met after its eruption, when everything had quieted down, and not during.” You’d almost think it had happened during the eruption, though, with all the fire and injuries and the hullabaloo.

Phi reaches for the topmost plant to examine it, curious and always trying to be helpful. Falke doesn’t stop her quite yet - but has an eye to stop her if she tries to eat anything. “Do you have another suitable place to plant them?” Raising a brow at the ambition of recreating a swamp-like environment, Falke gently presses to see if he’s thought it through.
FALKE

Table coding by Sky!
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"That's a good point. And she certainly seems to be happy," Mateo confirms, grinning wide enough to dimple his cheeks as Phi swings from his back and down his arm. He is happy for her to dig through his basket, still too young to realise that she might decide to eat something in there by virtue of it being available. He knows things are poisonous, of course, he just also assumes everyone else does as well.

"I wonder what she thought about it all," he remarks of the eruption, though by the look of the monkey, she's not particularly bothered by much at all. Mateo is a bit enamoured with her, truth be told. As for his plants, as Falke will soon discover, the budding botanist spends a large part of his time thinking about them. "Oh, yes! My greenhouse is where my da's alchemy shop used to be. I have a terrarium that will keep things alive, so I can experiment with what soil works best and then replant them. I think these ones will need quite a damp place to grow..."
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
He’d never really thought about the Apopo explosion from an animal’s perspective before. “That’s a really good question,” he adds, tilting his head thoughtfully. “I bet it was pretty scary. They say animals can tell when something like that is going to happen. I can’t imagine being on edge for awhile and then fire everywhere…” Trailing off, the Fixer frowns and reaches out to gently stroke Phi’s back. She seems to notice the emotional fluctuation in her bonded and looks up, chittering a question.

In fact, she hops over to him, random plant in hand, and offers it up, as if she knows that will make him happy. And it does. It works - because Falke is easily moved when it comes to his companion.

“You have a greenhouse?” He brightens even more as the topic falls to happier things, feeling almost like a kid comparing their toys. “How lucky! Are you… generally interested in plants and growing things?” Because he can think of a few rare items in his own garden that might be of interest. Or the Celestine, if Lena is around to show the boy. “Damp, definitely. And on the warmer side, if you can help it.”
FALKE

Table coding by Sky!
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"Mm," Mateo agrees emphatically, smiling as he watches Phi cross from his basket to her bonded's arms, the boy sitting back to consider Falke's question. "I bet it was, too. But if animals can sometimes tell, maybe they can get themselves to safety," he suggests. "I heard of an animal, too - a Sear Cat - that's supposed to be able to see the future a bit." Maybe they had helped the other animals when the Apopo erupted?

"Yes I do!" Chipper again at being able to discuss his greenhouse, Mateo lets dirty fingers affectionately brush across his new specimens. "I love growing things," he confirms. "Next door there's a florist, and when I was little she'd babysit me and let me look at all the flowers. I'm trying to grow vampire gourds from seeds this year - they're doing pretty well."

Damp and warm. Mateo nods slowly, stashing that information away. "I should get a thermometer, I think, to make sure it stays the right heat."
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
“Oh, yes! They can. They can talk too.” Which makes sense, because how else were they supposed to tell anyone about the future? “But from what I’ve read, they’re still cats and can be very fickle creatures.” That thought then prompts another - how many times had Sear Cats withheld the truth, or told only part of it, just because they felt like it?

Indicating that Phi should return the plant she offered to him back to Mateo, Falke gives her a little nudge on her hindquarters. She scampers back and deposits it back in the basket. A small beetle tries to skirt the group, but she’s on it in a flash, grabbing it the bug with agile fingers and then holding it aloft for Mateo and Falke to see. To eat, or not to eat? That is the question.

The Fixer gives her a look that says go on, fuck around and find out before turning back to the young Taliesin. “I’d love to see those gourds some time.”
FALKE

Table coding by Sky!
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"Oh, so they might not tell the truth about the future?" Blue eyes grow round as saucers, Mateo not having realised that Sear Cats could also talk. They sound like a very interesting companion, truth be told, but luckily (or perhaps not) for Falke and Ophelia, he still prefers the capuchin by a mile. Especially as she comes to offer up a beetle for their inspection, the boy tilting his head. "I bet it tastes like liquorice," he says. A bad influence? Mateo? Never.

The gourds pull his attention back to the Fixer, Mateo smiling and nodding to him enthusiastically. "You can come and see them now if you like," he suggests, shielding his eyes from the sun as he rises back to his feet. "I think I will need to get rid of them soon, if they do grow how they're supposed to. In Leafchange they get kind of..." He snaps his teeth slowly together, to indicate the general cantankerousness of the pumpkins.
Falke Guildenstern
The "Fixer"

Change author:
I don’t know, his exaggerated shrug seems to suggest, as Falke’s shoulders reach his ears. “I think it’s definitely worth an investigation.” Research in this area might be important soon - and more importantly, fun.

With two approvals, how can Ophelia say no? Immediately cronching the head off the beatle, she chews and plays with the now-lifeless body in her murderous paws for a moment before shoving the rest of it into her mouth. Whatever it tasted like - licorice or salty-crunchy or dirt-flavored, the wild monkey in her didn’t seem to mind at all.

Falke brightens at the suggestion and takes a moment to push himself to his feet as well. A little slower than Mateo on that point, he is already nodding enthusiastically. “I’d love to. I’ve always been curious… when do they develop their teeth? Are they like some species, who have baby teeth that then fall out? Or do they emerge fully formed?” Gathering his pack and whatever else he’d had with him, Falke gestures for the boy to take the lead. “After you, of course.”

Phi, not one to be left behind, can’t seem to choose who she wants to ride with to their next destination.
FALKE

Table coding by Sky!
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"I like investigations," Mateo assures Falke, though the Fixer has probably worked that much out for himself already. Gathering up his basket of tricks and grinning to Ophelia in approval as she cronches up the beetle (Mateo is young and a gardener, of course he finds this amazing), he begins to lead them back up the Righteous Road towards the gates back into the city.

"They don't have teeth yet I don't think," he says of the gourds. "Their faces look kind of scrunched up and their eyes are closed. I feel like when they yawn that's when they get their teeth, but by then they should probably not be in the greenhouse." He doesn't really want to stomp on his carefully cultivated murder pumpkins, but he obviously will if he has to.

His shoulders, of course, are free for Phi to perch on if she likes, but Mateo is already in animated conversation about the rest of the things in his greenhouse. Whether he likes it or not, Falke will be treated to quite the botany lesson for the rest of the afternoon.

~FIN