Seasons don't fear the reaper
Bastien
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10 - Int:
RIYA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
where'er the goddess turns her melancholy gaze, Man his loathsomeness displays
The weather is beginning to warm past the point of spring by time Anju arrives in the Hollowed Grounds. She is alone, which leaves her shifty and uncomfortable, the silence of the bond between her and her sister like a void she aches to fill. She is scarcely ever parted from Riya, and even when the dragon is out of sight she is even more rarely far enough to not feel. It hastens her steps more than the presence of the Ascended. The faster she completes this last command of Ludo’s, the faster she can reunite with her bonded.

The Spire is an obsidian travesty, an attempt at architecture she is used to seeing in Stormbreak. Beaten and battered, but ominous and towering all the same. Anju stands observing it for a few long moments, reluctant to approach, but each moment spent dawdling is a moment too long in the Grounds. Finally she approaches, taking a long trip around the outside circumference before staring down the entrance, already stoic expression grim with distaste.
ANJU
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN

Once, Bastien had had dreams of making a temple out of the Spire, of turning its brutal and sharp edges into murals and expanding it out into the space around it. He would have made pools and fountains and pews, places for those that chose a life with the Voice to sit and be with their Goddess. He wasn't really one for religious reverence, but he knew that such a place would really annoy those that thought only the Old Gods were worthy of devotion; that alone had been enough to motivate the plans.

Unfortunately, practicalities and the looming war overtook the idea. Such a temple would be a huge target for any looking to harm the Ascended and their energies had to be spent elsewhere. Still, that didn't stop him from dreaming - sometimes Bastien would come and put a hand to the spire, look around the area and imagine what it might have looked like had he managed to complete the work.

The sun was low in the sky already, but he was waiting for it to fall far enough that he could be sure his trip home would be safe. Bastien hovered around the entrance to the spire, content to dream and wonder what could have been; when he heard footsteps approaching his initial thought was to hide, but instead he quickly went down another route. Using his upgrade he hid his fangs, knowing that many that would come to visit the Spire would not be giving it a friendly calling by.

"Hello! I was just investigating this thing. It is...fascinating." He said by way of greeting, confidently taking a couple of steps out of the door and smiling at Anju (careful not to step into the light too much, but trying to make it seem natural). "Have you come to see it too? It is hard not to be tempted, when it is visible from the furthest edges of the Grounds."

---
Bastien is using:
Feature-adjust upgrade | This upgrade lets the user change up to 20% of their appearance at a time. Using it they can change their eye colour, hair-length/colour, height, weight, facial shape, etc. (though not at all at once)

to hide his fangs
Still my heart is heavy
With the hate of some other man's beliefs
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
She is not the type to startle easily, but surrounded by the shadow of this imposing tower, the woman flinches slightly as a man steps through the doorway before she can approach it. He is handsome, though she thinks it rather distantly, an objective thing for one as logical as her. Though he is far more...sociable than she would prefer - of anyone, really. Still, she would rather be met with overeager kindness than overt hatred.

Stepping forward in time with the man, Anju tilts her chin in militaristic greeting. "Hello. Yes, I...I have never traveled outside the realm of my homeland. It seemed only fitting to visit this place first when I came to the Grounds." Lies wrapped in truth. Human or not, Anju is not inclined to trust anyone here, even if she's not much of a manipulator. Glancing past the man's shoulder into the darkness beyond, she frowns. "It seems quite damaged. Is it safe to go inside?"
ANJU
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN

Ah, it seemed this woman was not one to be taken with his over-effusive charms. Bastien, ever a master of speaking to people, lowered his energy a little, reducing the smile and quietening his voice (gave less chance of revealing his fangs if the enchantment failed, anyway). "Your homeland? May I ask where that is?" He asked, knowing that the answer could tell him a lot about her intentions.

As for the Spire itself, he turned and looked up into the tall structure, the dark stairs spiralling up into nothing. "Well...I know many have explored it in the years since it was broken, but I cannot speak to the safety of the entire building. If you wish to enter, perhaps I could accompany you? I have walked to the top and back down recently, so I know at least that much is safe." It wasn't a difficult route, the stairs themselves for the most part whole, but he wanted an excuse to speak to her more, find out what she wanted here.
Still my heart is heavy
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju is no manipulator or master of secrecy, she is a soldier first and foremost. The only experience she has with controlling her expression is defined by keeping her pain from showing. So although she is relatively stoic, the relief is clear as day as Bastien dials his friendliness back a few notches, to the point where her own smile tentatively appears on the corners of her mouth. “King’s End,” is only a practiced answer because of her paranoia, and though she feels bare without her sword, she knew bringing it was out of the question. It would be too glaring a sign of her actual allegiance.

The offer of company has broad shoulders relaxing minutely. “That’s comforting. Yes, I would appreciate the company.” She tips her chin, and steals upon her bravery to be the one to cross the threshold closer to him. Unaware and unsuspecting of whose company she’s keeping. Staring up at the first few stairs, Anju tosses her braid over her shoulder to keep the heat off her neck. It’s unnervingly cool inside, sending gooseflesh up her bare arms. “Do you know much of its origins? It seems to be the only…majestic building here.” She struggles for an appropriate word. Ominous, secluded, none of those pass muster. “Everything else I’ve seen passing through has seemed broken down.” A flush steals uncharacteristically across her face - normally unaware of her unintentional bluntness, but too on edge for it to escape her notice this time. Gruffly she clears her throat. “I apologize, I don’t mean that as an insult to your homeland.” If it is, of course.
ANJU
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

"In the Wilds? I did not know anyone lived there." Bastien commented, frowning as he tried to remember his walks in the region. True, he had not explored every corner; perhaps there was a space for housing somewhere he had not looked. Or maybe Anju lived in the trees and dirt...though she looked rather put together for that.

She came closer and he smiled and took a couple of steps inside, sitting down on the first step. They could still see out the door, would still be able to dash out in any kind of trouble, so he thought it not too much of a push to sit there. To hear the Spire called majestic was certainly something new, but Bastien drew the surprise out of his expression to nod. "As far as I understand, it was something of a prison - and what upkept the barrier around the Grounds. The..." He paused, as if struggling to remember. "...Core, I believe, was kept in the very highest chamber."

As for the 'insult', he just laughed. "The Grounds is not my homeland and even if it were, you are correct. It is in dire need of care. We do what we can, but for the amount of people living here, it is too much work."
Still my heart is heavy
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
“They are more small villages and homesteads than cities and settlements,” she allows with what amounts to her version of a sheepish grin; small, self-conscious. Though she has seen very few of them in her relatively new travels, Anju had been similarly surprised by the frequency of abodes in the Wilds. Mostly those who didn’t want to be around others - or worse, those who’d lost everyone else and lived only with the ghosts that remained - and as such Anju deigned to leave them in peace.

The as yet unnamed man leads her inside, and though she’s still morbidly curious the Dragoon is grateful to sit on the cool steps instead of ascending deeper into the tower. She folds gracefully, the empty space at her feet causing her to pause, missing Riya anew. Her dark brow furrows as he unveils the history of the Spire, full lips pulling downward. “The Core? What is that? I thought the barrier was created to imprison The Voice?” She’s no historian or Order recruit. Her worth lies in her bladework, not her knowledge of The Voice. All she needs to know, personally, is her crime and the fact she continues to exist against all reason and morals. “So she was not able to move about the Grounds freely?” How then had she freed herself?

His laughter makes the tension dissipate further from her shoulders, even inspiring a small smile from the stern woman. “So are you merely a traveler as well? Though you say ‘we’, are you an Outlander who has merely decided to stay?” It feels strange to ask so many questions. Anju is not naturally this curious, but for once she finds herself genuinely craving to know more. Though she hunches slightly as her ill-used manners read their head. “I suppose I should give you my name if I’m going to be so presumptuous. I am-” she falters for a split second, realizing he had charmed her well enough for her to forget herself, and she debates whether to be honest, “- Anju. And you?” She is relatively meaningless, a ghost to any beyond Stormbreak’s walls, or so she tells herself to feel better about the potential mistake.
ANJU
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

"Perhaps I should visit - do you recommend anywhere in particular?" Bastien asked, thinking he might take a walk while he could still move freely and with relative confidence he wouldn't be engaged in a fight. Maybe he could take Azrael.

How did one explain the Core? Bastien barely understood the entity and it's relationship to the Voice himself. He took in a breath (and made sure to breathe afterwards, suddenly realising his lack of doing so would mark him out as different) and stared ahead at the smooth black wall as he tried to find the words. "Honestly, I am not entirely sure, but the Core is...a part of the Voice, yet also separate. Something she draws power from, or...maybe something her Ascended are connected to?" He shrugged. "And ah...I don't...think so? I was not here for very long prior to the barrier falling. I know the Core was freed by a group of Ascended that climbed this Spire."

While this whole conversation rested on a lie, Bastien still felt good when he saw the smile on Anju's face. They weren't as different as the world wanted them to be. "An Outlander. I arrived here some years ago and have made it my home since. It is...nowhere as grand as where I come from, but people's hearts are the same." It had been comforting to find that many of the ideas and habits in Caido were the same as on Earth, if under different names.

"I am Bastien De Rosieres. It is nice to meet you, Anju. Have you been to the Grounds before?"
Still my heart is heavy
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
The best lies are those filled with truth, right? It's hardly a lie when she has no reason to believe he's anything more than a normal man, especially when the information is so harmless. "The swamps in the Wilds were strange at first, but there is a lovely woman there - a witch, who helped guide me. There are strange tales about her, though I was only passing through and did not get to linger long. King's End is similarly beautiful, and far less...muddy," she flounders at the end, a huff of a laugh escaping. Bastien seems far too handsome and high-maintenance for swampland excursions. Perhaps she will ask him for his hair routine before she departs; her own is woefully sad and simplistic, made all the more so with her own travels.

It's funny how easily you can overlook the lack of someone breathing, small as it is. Especially when Anju is otherwise morbidly stuck on the words he presents. "Part of the fear of her seems in large part to the mystery that surrounds her," she murmurs, keeping the darkness out of her tone even as her dark brows furrow and mahogany irises drop away from Bastien's. There is so much she, at least, does not know about The Voice. Surely that is why Ludo sent her here.

Startled out of her brief musings, she shakes her head, reclining slightly to stare up at the spiraling stairs overhead and the shadows they eventually dissolve into. "No, this is my first time. I never felt the urge to travel when I was younger, but waiting until I have a cane and can only see as far as my arm seems just as foolish." A crooked smile pulls awkwardly at her lips, trying for humor. If this were a storybook, maybe she would realize at the end that the man beside her is her enemy, and have her heart changed by their similarities. But this is not a storybook, and so instead she knocks her knees together idly and is simply thankful for the presence of a seemingly human man who has kindness and time to spare for her.
ANJU
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

"I see...I can't say I've ever been to a swamp, but-" Bastien was about to prove Anju's opinion of him to be dead on. "-I don't know if I'd care for all the mud. I have always liked to maintain a clean appearance." He'd do it if he had to without a complaint, well aware there were more important things in the world than a perfectly manicured haircut, but out of choice? He'd stick to the dry fields of the Grounds. "Kings End, I believe I've heard of. There are...graves there?"

Even though he came at it from a different angle, Bastien could genuinely agree that the Voice was a figure of mystery. Even many of the Ascended regarded her with a mix of fear and reverence. "Have you ever met one of her followers? An Ascended?" His eyes watched her carefully, wanting to catch the reaction to the question.

Following her eyeline up to the top of the Spire, where the stairs disappeared into the darkness above, Bastien glanced down with a smile. "Well...in the spirit of exploration, do you want to climb it with me?"
Still my heart is heavy
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
A smile twitches on the quiet woman's face at his admission, not quite teasing but a shade of camaraderie and amusement. He is an objectively attractive man, but whether it's his mannerisms or his speech habits, even someone as socially inept as Anju can tell he would not be at home in a swampland. "Yes, there is quite a large graveyard. I would say most know King's End by it, so you're likely thinking of the correct place." Not that she has visited it, but Stormbreak has records of all the other lands that she'd perused throughout the years as a Dragoon.

"No, I have not," she admits easily, unaware that she now has. At his offer, she stands and looks up into the darkness of the ascending stairs. "Very well. Perhaps you can give me your opinion as we do?" It's a more casual offer than one would expect from her station, but at the end of the day Anju is a soldier, not an informant. His answers are entirely for her own benefit. And so she sets her foot on the bottom step, and begins to climb in earnest.

- FIN
ANJU