{se} breadcrumb trails
Tal
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427

Hotaru
My head's a burial ground of your memory
Hotaru scarcely sees his reaction, too busy being enchanted by the dog’s enthusiasm, laughing softly as she cranes back slightly but otherwise allows the dog to place its paws upon her thighs and nearly climb her. “Such are the considerations a good mother must make. Undoubtedly I will be involved one way or another.” Whether as a council member or even just a confidant for the Warden to be named. She is fine with that. If she were not so blessed to have a chance to be a mother again despite all odds and difficulties in being a single mom, she would perhaps pack her children up and not care about the consequences so long as they were safe and close at hand.

Grinning, content to be a bit looser with her emoting around him, Ru allows a bit of mischief to crinkle the edges of her heterochromatic eyes. “I’ll have to give them a discount on your behalf.” Dropping a kiss on the wriggly pup’s head in a moment of softness, she stands only to move to the next victim. “I never forget a face,” she admits, winking as she taps the side of her nose conspiratorially. “Are you going to be remaining closer to home for a time?”
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
At the mention of motherhood Tal's expression closed over and he knelt down beside Bell, continuing to scratch her ears but leaning over to distract her harness-partner from trying to jump on Hotaru again. His expression said he had opinions, but for once he didn't give them voice.

Instead he wrinkled his nose in affectionate exasperation with his siblings at the offered discount. "Nah, they can afford it. Don't tell 'em, or they'll try to drag me along next time." Hot baths were paradise, but public bathing? Tal shivered a little inside his furs, and Boreal grumbled from where her body hid the rock, still playing with feathers. "Longheat circuit the long-way 'round the White is done for the year. Heading into Leafchange, I only work express deliveries. We're tough, but even we're not good enough to survive an early Deepfrost blow out on the flats." He nodded his head gloomily. "So I guess I'm stuck back in the Citadel for another season, once the snows get too heavy for the sled." It was an entire soliloquy, coming from Tal.

"You were one of the Outlander wardens, yeah? Why d'you stay in Halo, when the rest of Caido is supposed to be so much..." he lifted a hand from Bell's ears to wave it vaguely, not personally familiar with the rumors. "...warmer?"
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:

Hotaru
Eyes may be sharp enough to spot reticence, but Ru is smart enough not to pry. Though she laughs slightly at his reaction. “Many felt the same before I got my hands on them - quite literally. It’s better than you think. And not at all emasculating if that’s what you’re afraid of.” An assumption maybe, but many of the soldiers and guards she’d eventually convinced onto her bench had voiced such fears.

She listens with a patient ear, happy to learn about a lifestyle she knows nothing about. “You say stuck like it’s a bad thing. Many would say the same as you just did to me you know. Why long to be out on the snow when the Citadel’s dome could keep you warm?” Though Hotaru is not evading for once, merely rephrasing and directing it back at him. “Where I came from, my home was nearly identical to Halo. Warmth is more unfamiliar to me than anything. I love Halo for all it is, not all it is without.” Not that she doesn’t enjoy it of course, that’s why her spa would someday host hot springs.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
"Emasc-- like, castrating?" Tal hazarded with cheeks going pale beneath his scarf, shifting to get a knee between Hotaru and his family jewels. "The girls said it was just hot water in big tubs, and fancy soaps!" No one had said anything about people getting handsy!

Tal continued to watch Ru warily after that, giving her returned question a shrug. "Got space to breathe out here," he said, matter-of-factly, before quickly changing the subject. "Didn't realize there were Outlander worlds like Halo... Anyone ever figure out why you can't go back?" Not that he was very clear on how they'd gotten to Caido in the first place, beyond a vague fallback to 'magic' and 'portals' and other things he had no direct experience with.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:

Hotaru
Hotaru can’t help the way she laughs, brief but untethered, and a hand comes to clasp over her mouth to reign it back in. Cheeks pressing her eyes into slits with the force of her mirth. “N-No!” she chortles, flushed with the effort of trying (and failing) to swallow it down, already keen to the awareness she may wound his pride. “No, no, I mean - emasculating is usually a sensation of feeling made into something less masculine, or femin- that is, girlish. Unfit for manly men.” She pauses and rewords midway in hopes of not creating further confusion, hand falling back to the dog’s scruff and revealing her cheeky grin.

She can appreciate his answer even if it’s rather short. “As far as I understand we are…replicas. Recreations of our selves in the moments before we were taken. And those circumstances and the timing itself can’t be recreated to open a portal back.” Of course she doesn’t say that the going theory for people like her whose worlds were ending involves the other self being dead. Or that going back would imply doppelgängers. “My world was being destroyed when I was taken. I doubt I’d have anywhere to go back to.” It’s spoken rather pleasantly. She is at peace with this reality after all this time.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The threat of castration might have been avoided, but Tal's scowl returned in full force as he was laughed at. Boreal watched them both with reptilian amusement, balancing a feather on the end of her blunt snout while her companion ground his teeth in annoyance. "Hmph!" Was his well-reasoned reply, unable to splutter out a coherent retort past the redness of his cheeks that was definitely a result of the cold night wind, and nothing more.

Hotaru's explanation dumped ice water on his temper a few moments later, however, and he looked stricken at the revelation. "Oh... I... 'm sorry," he muttered uncomfortably, at a loss for words for a different reason. He reached up to rub the back of his neck awkwardly through his furs. "Dunno how it'd feel... not having a home to go back to." Even if it was filled with annoying older sisters. Or maybe especially because of it. "Um. Do you... need a ride back to the Citadel?" Tal made his graceless offer as he glanced back over at Hotaru with guilty eyes. "Or are you waiting for Frey to uh." He wiggled his gloved fingers. "Do something with your rocks?"

Tal smoothly changed the topic once again.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:

Hotaru
Hotaru ducks her head, skillfully using her long golden hair to conceal her continuing grin as she looks down at the blissed out pup between her hands. No sense in worsening things, not if she ever wants a chance of getting him into the spa to prove him wrong.

His regret and empathy is appreciated, and admittedly not unexpected, but she waves it away with a graceful hand. “It’s okay, I have made my peace with it.” Her smile is barely there, but full of the weight of forgiveness for his incidental transgression. Dropping a kiss on this dog’s head too (for fairness of course) Hotaru straightens with a smile. “No, I will visit them independently when the sun rises. I wouldn’t say no to a ride however. I can fly, but I can’t claim to have been on a sled yet.” And one seems far more exciting than the other right now.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal didn't know how to respond to someone being at peace with their world being destroyed, so he said nothing at all, pretending to be distracted by fiddling with Bell's harness fit.

The dogs were already big fans of the nice lady with the scritchy fingers, and bounced around her as best they could while in harness until Tal and Bell started moving to get them settled and untangled from their antics. After a good rest and a snack they were ready for another run, and they yipped eagerly as they waited for the command.

A look of envious longing flashed briefly across his face at the mention of flying, but it was there and gone again in the time if took him to refasten his scarf.

"It's a little cramped for riding," he gave as a gruff, roundabout apology. "But here, you can sit in the front, and pull the canvas up to cut the wind..." He helped her get settled into the sled before taking up position between the runners on the back. The dogs stood trembling with anticipation and he took a deep breath, then called out a firm hup! and began to run, pushing the sled from behind while the dogs lunged in unison against their harnesses and dug their paws into the snow.

Soon enough the team was racing over the snow beneath the moonlight, Tal settled on the runners once more, laughing as the wind bit at his cheeks. After a little while, Boreal finally reluctantly uncurled from her rock, gave it a parting sniff, and lumbered into the sky to catch up to her human.

~Fin~