{SE} dust to dust
For Edmund <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
The trip to the Greatwood is an easy one now that the Skyboat is up and running. Which means that taking Edmund on an impromptu trip to visit the shrine dedicated to Safrin there is an easy choice to make. Maeve holds his hand as they walk up the stairs to the shrine, a small basket in her grasp holding their offerings, a book of poems, and a small picnic for them to enjoy beneath the stars. The Nightshade hadn't gone to seek Safrin out yet, but she was planning to as soon as she finished her quest. Maeve wasn't avoiding her. Not in the slightest, but the Queen wasn't going to waste her time by not being done with the task her goddess had given her before then.

"I haven't been to this shrine, but I imagine the view of the stars here can't be beat." Maeve murmurs, voice soft as they enter the shrine, being respectful of the space. She straightens the few candles and lights a couple of them to give them a bit of light. "How about we set up our picnic and then we can read her some poems." Maeve hands Edmund his bouquet of flowers to place on the alter before beginning to pulling out their picnic components.
What you gon' do when there's blood in the water?
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
Cool guys don't look at explosions, even if they're imaginary
Edmund is ecstatic to be here. When his mum had said that they would be visiting one of Lady Safrin's shrines he'd practically leapt with joy. Finally getting to visit one of his chosen deity's shrines was exciting. Granted, he'd gone to one when he was a baby, but he'd been too young then to remember it well.

Taking the flowers from his mum, Edmund reverently places them on the alter. He makes the effort to arrange them nicely in a way that he hopes Lady Safrin will enjoy. Once he's satisfied, Edmund skips back over to his mum, "Ok Mummy! How can I help?" The sooner they can set up their picnic the sooner he can truly enjoy the shrine and read to Lady Safrin with his Mum.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Her expression is soft as she watches Edmund with the flowers, noting how carefully he places them, making little patterns using the different colored blooms. The reverence he has for her goddess already is staggering and Maeve has no doubt that he'd be a devoted follower, willing to do whatever the goddess asked of him. She can't help thinking how different his belief is compared to her own at his age. She'd already given up at that point, thinking they didn't care for her, that they wouldn't listen. How wrong she'd been.

It isn't until he comes skipping back to her that she's pulled from her thoughts, a smile spreading across her lips as she pats the empty space next to her, "How about you light our candles while I cut the cake, hm?" She suggests, placing two tealights on the blanket and taking out a sweet spice cake, slicing them each a piece.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Edmund nods happily as he sits down. "Ok!" The child lights the first candle with a match but pauses before he lights the second. He sends a quick glance at his Mum and the alter before relaxing and making his decision. He knows his Mummy and Lady Safrin will keep him safe.

Placing the lit candle down, he holds the second one in his hands. Closing his eyes, Edmund tries to do what Aurelia taught him. Focusing inward he tries to find that source of warmth inside. The one that grows when his emotions are strong or when he feels loved. He pictures his Mummy, his Papa, Lady Safrin, and Auntie Aurelia. The magic within him reacts and the warmth spreads to the tips of his fingers.

There's a slight shake on the flame in the first candle and a small ember rises up and ignites the candle in Edmund's hands. Feeling the change, Edmund opens his eyes and beams. "I did it Mummy! Did you see that?"
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
He does exactly what Maeve expects him to do. The first candle is lit traditionally, the flame flickering strongly as it casts a warm glow across the two of them, lending its light to the shrine. Carefully he places it down and she waits for his next move, already ready to act should she need to, but otherwise she waits. His eyes shut and he concentrates hard. Maeve doesn't look away for even a second, jade eyes trained on Edmund and the little ember he summons, watching it drift lazily through the air.

It lands on the wick and for a breath Maeve thinks that nothing has happened, but then the candle flares to life, flickering just as strongly as the other. Her smile is instantaneous as she meets his gaze, "Très bien, petite étoile!" The Nightshade praises, leaning over to scoop him into her arms, pressing kisses to his cheeks. Once she's satisfied, Maeve draws back, passing him a plate of cake and opening up the book to their marked page, setting it aside for the time being. Neither of them notices the way the words seem to move.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund giggles as his mum rains kisses and affection down on him. "Thank you, Mummy!" The child is practically oozing glee and pride, ecstatic over his success. "Auntie Aurelia taught me! She's awesome." He'd never take all the credit, not when his aunt had taken the time to teach him some basics regarding their shared magic.

Taking his piece of cake, Edmund happily digs in before pausing. "Hey Mummy? Why isn't there a shrine for Lady Safrin at the Court of Stars?" It seems to the child that there should be. It's Lady Safrin's court more or less, so why not have a shrine for her there? As he chews his cake thoughtfully, Edmund waits curiously as to what his mum will say.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Maeve's smile falters at the mention of Aurelia, but she's quick to hide it. He doesn't need to know of their fallout. The disagreement that they currently found themselves in. Maeve instead brushes back his hair, cupping his cheek before she's leaning back and serving him cake. "You're welcome, my love." The Nightshade hums, cutting her own slice of cake as she settles on the blanket once more.

She's just about to take a bite when he asks his question and her lips curl into another gentle smile, "Well, there is one in the lighthouse. The Court of Stars wasn't built until Safrin appointed me as queen of Torchline and we needed a place to pray to her long before that." Maeve explains easily, having no issue answering her son's questions as he brings each of them up to her.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund lets out a small noise of wonder as his Mum speaks, "Oh. So that's where the shrine is." The child digs into his cake with a surprising amount of poise. Is he attempting to be mature in front of Lady Safrin's shrine? Yes. Still the cake is delicious, and he finds himself relaxing, only to straighten out each time he recalls where he is.

Once the cake is gone, Edmund turns back to his Mum. There'd been a question on his mind since he'd met Aurelia, "How does someone become a hybrid?" Being able to turn into an animal sounded incredible to him. Though the child had no idea how he'd choose just one to start with. There were so many cool animals in Caido!
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Maeve laughs softly at her son, reaching to brush a few crumbs from his cheek, "Mhmmm. You've been there before, little star. When you were a baby." She reminds him, knowing he likely doesn't remember, but that's okay. He'd go there again soon enough. Be it with her or someone else. The Nightshade knows he's trying to be careful in this shrine, watching him eat with an amazing amount of poise for a child, even with the crumbs he can't help.

The question makes her pause, brows lifting slightly as she turns her attention back to her son, "It's not too difficult. You simply have to ask." Not just ask, but commit themselves entirely to their herald. Maeve sets her own cake down, turning to face him a bit more fully, giving him her full attention. "But that doesn't mean they'll just do it. Some might ask that you prove yourself to them by completing a quest or something else."
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund nods firmly, placing his cake down and leaning forward as he listens to his Mummy. This is a very important topic after all. It's about his future goals! He already knows who he'll ask in the future, and he has no doubt his Mummy does too. But to be fair there never was any competition. At least not, for this child's devotion.

"I have to ask, and I have to prove myself. I understand Mummy. I'll do my best." Edmund vows, voice surprisingly stern for such a small being. He glances at the shrine beside them, hoping that Lady Safrin hears him too. One day, when he's big, he'll return and prove his worth.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Maeve laughs softly, shifting to gather Edmund in her arms, snuggling him close as she presses kisses to his cheek. "Oh I have no doubt, little star. You'll make any one of them proud." Be it Safrin, Frey, Ludo, or any of the others. Edmund was a gift. Sweet, hard working, and the most compassionate individual she'd ever know. He was the best parts of her and Locke. Maeve leans back, brushing her fingers through his hair as she presses another kiss to his forehead, nuzzling her nose against his.

"Now, go say your prayer to Safrin. We have to get back before it gets too late." Maeve urges, releasing him so he might be able to kneel at the altar inside the shrine. She pulls out a new candle just for him, placing it on one of the steps, giving him a little nod of encouragement.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund preens under his Mummy's attention, "You really think so?" He hopes so. Once he found out that both his Papa and Paige were Attuned, the idea of becoming a hybrid had fascinated him. Eventually the more he thought about it, the more he wanted it. Now it was Edmund's goal. To hybridize under Lady Safrin.

Taking a deep breath and glancing between his Mummy and the alar, Edmund began his prayer. "Hi, Lady Safrin.  It's me, Edmund. I just wanted to say that your awesome. Thank you for looking out for my Mummy and me, and all of Torchline. You're best and I hope one day I can make you proud." He pauses, trying to figure out how to end his prayer. "I hope you have a great day and that no one makes you sad, or angry, or lonely, or any other bad thing. Bye."

Prayers made, the two clean up their picnic and head home. Edmund follows his Mum, giving one last glance at the shrine. He hopes that Safrin has heard him.

-{FIN}
EDMUND