you can’t turn back the clock
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Uneasy lies the head – unfaithful is the heart
Ungrateful and unlucky and untrue
There’d been little more to say than when and where?

So here Hotaru is. Half of a fated pair. Awaiting Aurelia beside Ludo’s shrine. She is already kneeling before it, hands folded in her lap and head bowed. Praying, yes, but also contemplating this entire sequence of events. She may be partially Attuned now, but Hotaru knows that small favor is tainted as she is sworn to Frey. Like a mark that every Attuned wears, visible only to the other Gods.

As she hears the approach of another, Hotaru’s eyes slowly open, and she turns to take her first look at Aurelia since they last saw each other in that jail cell. She carries herself differently. It’s a better look on her than the rangy, hunted look Hotaru had once known on her. Still, she is here. She has kept to her word. That is what matters.

Rising, Ru brushes her dress free idly of any clinging plant debris before turning to face Aurelia straight on. “Remi has already warned me before when I entertained this idea that the cost may be too great to pay,” her melodic voice reaches out, filling the space between them. An olive branch, allowing them to leave what they’d written in letters to lie on paper and ink alone. “This may be your quest, but as my companion, and my soul he was once tied to, the burden may be asked of either of us.” Inhaling slowly, the Valkyrie gives a tiny smile, the somber nature of this meeting oppressive and stifling. “If it is too great a cost…I will not begrudge you turning away.” Then she extends her hand, for Aurelia to take if she desires, and turns to kneel at the shrine.

From her bag she retrieves a beautiful silk cloth. Unwrapping it, she holds Atlas’ dark horn in her hands. Gifted to her by Seren, who had held his body on her island. Laying it on her lap, she then lays out her offerings - shiny metal spinning toys, and a hand painted, well-preserved bird skull. Then she waits for Aurelia to speak.

- - -

If Aurelia’s roll is unsuccessful, paying for a god quest with MP!
And no one saw me coming, and no one saw me go
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
these nightmares all bend
silver linings are all i need
The shrine in Ludo's Woods. No better place to ask the herald no small favor. Helps that it's close by. And so, to the Greatwood she went, suspended through portals, ending up on the opposite side of Caido from where she hailed. She knew she would end up here eventually. For exploration, she'd thought, but now it's for something far more purposeful.

Seeing Hotaru's figure, draped by shadows of tall trees, makes her heart stiffen in her chest. To try and encompass what it makes Aurelia feel, words would be far too small. Her lungs shake with breaths she tries to silence. Blame it on rushing to get here, not some other, unseen depths. But for all the hurry she's been in, lifting her feet now suddenly feels monumental. She stills as the other woman rises to meet her, her expression hollow with uncertainty.

In lightning-scarred hands, Aurelia cradles her meager offering. Carved from two separate pieces of wood is a rider upon a single-horned steed. She doesn't look down at it, not just yet, meeting Hotaru's eyes instead.

"It is a burden," she says quietly, but amongst the trees her voice is isolated and loud, "but I would prefer us not to carry it alone anymore." They have for too long, and now is a time for change. As for too high a cost? "We're here. Let's see what happens," she decides, the unease in her gaze forging away, toward the shrine - and something akin to determination.

Turning the offering over she can hold it in one hand, she steps forward and takes Hotaru's without much thought. Her hand is warm, hushing the chill that creeps along Aurelia's arms. They kneel together, and the offerings find their places. The unicorn and its rider are separate pieces, but stand united on the earthy soil. Perhaps that would soon become reality again.

"Ludo... please hear me. I'm calling to you to right a wrong I've done," she speaks, looking out at the dark woods before them, "seasons ago, I killed this woman's companion, Atlas. I've since learned the ramifications of such a cruelty. I know what I'm asking is a lot. Too much. But Atlas is apart of her soul, and she cannot be whole again without him," she swallows and turns her gaze to Hotaru, "he died by my hands, and I'll do whatever I can to bring him back to her. I don't ask mercy for myself, but for them..."

Aurelia's offering looks something like this for a visual ref, except the horse is a unicorn -shot-
so please just hold onto me
these demons, they're old to me
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ludo
Aurelia & Hotaru's combined roll failed, so MP has been deducted from Brit for a god quest!

Alright, alright. You don't need to write novels about it.

Ludo appears with a (perhaps inappropriate but still thoroughly enjoyable) neiiighhh! as it descends upon the duo, a raggedy tendril plucking up the unicorn and rider and making them prance through the air for a moment. Another rag snatches up the bird skull, wearing it like a finger puppet, and yet another sequesters away the metal toys. You didn't see anything.

"Dead's dead," it trills to Aurelia. "That's true for everyone. What makes you any different?" Tilting its masked head, it settles before them. "Oh wait, wait. It's because you want it, right?" It sighs. "I should have known. Okay, if you wanna give your life, I can bring back the pony. How does that sound?"

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Uneasy lies the head – unfaithful is the heart
Ungrateful and unlucky and untrue
Novels wouldn’t be enough to describe the weight of emotion she feels as Aurelia takes her hand, as her words flow over the Valkyrie, even if it was warranted. Ludo is one of the heralds Hotaru has not met, and though the off-color cheerful entrance would otherwise be amusing, she is still appropriately cowed by its appearance. At least it seems pleased enough by their offerings.

Ludo is straight the point, at least, though Ru’s hand tightens forbiddingly around Aurelia’s. “Is it only her life you would take in exchange?” Hotaru ventures, not stupid enough to deny the god outright. “Or…would you take something else? Maybe something equivalent?” Her free hand drifts over her navel. Perhaps it would kill something in her to have it taken, but is that not the sacrifice Ludo is looking for? Her hand trembles, but her gaze never wavers. Murder, sacrifice, Hotaru won’t shirk away from either suggestion - call her cruel, but someone else’s life is oddly something she’s willing to bargain, but not Aurelia’s.
And no one saw me coming, and no one saw me go
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
She hadn't met the herald of death, either, though seasons before she had honored it in the name of festivities, in crafting its shapelessness into a doll made of ash and driftwood. Still, it looked nothing like she had imagined it would... its appearance far more intimidating than the bewildering attitude it greets them with. And when it dares her to give her own life? (For that is all she could take it as- a dare) She falls into silent tension for a moment.

In that, Hotaru attempts to offer a different life, bringing on a heavy shift in Aurelia's gaze. The hand that tightens around her own still seems betrothed to the idea that they must take a life to replace one. She can hardly watch as Hotaru's hand drifts toward her navel, her own grip becoming vice-like in the Valkyrie's.

To Ludo, she says this: "When my time comes, I will readily give my soul to you. But the war approaches... and I would rather lay down my life then, if I can use it to protect this world. And until then, there must be something else that I can do in exchange. Can the two of us combined not make other sacrifices that will equal in value?"
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ludo
"Gosh, it was only a little joke," Ludo says, twirling in the air such that its mask seems to turn in a full circle before them, rags spread wide like a spider. First it looks to Hotaru, reaching out with a tentril to prod at her navel.

"I do not need the bun in your oven, sweetling. Or your oven, unless it can grow unicorns." Speaking of which, another rag plucks up Atlas's horn. "This is a good start though, I guess."

Back to Aurelia, now. "Dead is dead. Until it isn't. Still costs you, though," it trills. "Alright, then. Let's give it a try, shall we?"

Hotaru/Aurelia have received a quest! They must:

1. Hotaru must complete a thread desecrating the place where Atlas has been buried/burned to collect as many of his remains as possible, as well as his horn.

2. Aurelia must complete a thread killing a mythical companion to take Atlas's place.

3. Aurelia/Hotaru must complete three threads: one collecting Rae's Lily from Frey's Breath, one collecting Vi's Rose from the Greatwood, one collecting Efas Herb from the Labyrinth in the Hollowed Grounds. (Because all of these flora are rare, each thread must be a minimum of 2 pages to account for the difficulty in finding them).

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Dead is dead until it isn't - and Aurelia will take what she's gotten in that regard. That Ludo is asking her to commit the same atrocity she's here to rectify only serves as salt in the wound. But it would seem that Hotaru's hunch was right; it would require taking a life to resurrect a life. Equivalent exchange and more would be needed.

"I will only kill another companion if it is a mercy or a necessity..." she warns the herald carefully, not sure if an opportunity like that would arise anytime soon. Perhaps the war would present one, but even then.. she didn't want to try to kill another person's companion - lest she end up in the same boat. "Nonetheless, I am optimistic," she adds, gaze flickering over the shadowy being, "and grateful. I've come here to right a wrong, you've given me the chance to do that, and I will not fail. No matter what." It is her only promise of this quest. There is no desire to continue to cause harm to others, but rather negate it. Perhaps she could combine it all together and come out of it a better person for it. Perhaps that is wishful thinking, and perhaps she must learn to embrace what she is, the things she has done. But that thought is best expanded upon later.

"We won't waste any time," she says this to both Ludo and Hotaru, "while we're here, we will find Vi's Rose. Though this quest is not easy, we will be back soon - and we will be successful," Let that be all that needs saying, as she stands back upon her feet and lifts Hotaru up with her. They won't retire from the Greatwood, not just yet... for there is work to be done.

fin!!! thank you <3