{SE} do you have a moment?
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 410
Lilliane nodded to Wessex remark about recovering not being easy when most people don't need to eat. She hadn't really thought about that before, but now that Wessex said it, it made sense. To the next question, Lilliane nodded again. "I was in Torchline before. That's where I ended up initially. And there I met Cam. They brought me here and explained a few things to me. I haven't really taken a look beyond Kaiholo Port yet though."

When it came to explaining her home, Lilliane paused. She'd never really thought about how to describe it. Or even on which scale. "Let's see... I haven't really been outside of my hometown often, so I can't tell you much about the whole world. We don't have portals to travel from place to place. There's something akin to the skyboats I've been told about, but using those is expensive, so I never really travelled far." She made a short pause, sorting her thoughts. "Though I guess that's a good way to start explaining. The thing that matters most is how much money a person has. Without it, you can't do much but if you have a lot, all doors are open to you."

Though this wasn't quite explaining her home, was it? "I'm from a city by the coast. Things are always kind of hectic there. There's always a lot going on, especially during tourist season. Basically Kaiholo Port and the city next to it, but with colder tempereatures and a lot more rain." she said with a chuckle. It wasn't entirely fitting, but the best description she had without starting a lengthy monologue.

"I heard of Halo, but what kind of place King's End?"
Lilliane
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
Wessex inexplicably brightens when Lilliane mentions their sibling. “Oh you’ve met Cam?” She has a deep fondness for them, speaking warmly and with a small smile. “That’s great. They’re wonderful.” A good first introduction and the perfect example of everything an Ascended could be - kind, smart, brave when necessary. Willing to help their family in any way. More personable than the General, certainly.

Listening to the Outlander’s description of elements of her world, Wessex is intrigued - but then she always is. The infinite number of possibilities that lay outside of Caido are nothing short of fascinating. She wishes she could see them all. “Well, no fear, we have more of a bartering system here. Torchline operates more on favors and money than anything else, and Halo, food and furs and clothing. The Grounds is pretty normal. We need anything and everything.” She can’t say what the Fae trade with, and skips over the Greatwood to the aforementioned Kings End.

Gesturing in the general direction of ‘beyond’ the two of them, Wessex continues. “King’s End is a very green, gently rolling expanse beyond the Grounds. It’s vibrant and alive and we call it part of the Wilds. There are other parts too - the Climb, the Feverlands, the Oerwoud, Hak Etme, and the Draig Cordillera. And they all have their own beauty and their dangers…” But Lilliane should discover that on her own.

“What is your world called?” she asks suddenly. “And is war a big thing there?” Because of course, war is always on the forefront of the General's mind.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
As they spoke about Cam, Lilliane smiled as well. "Yes. I think they're a very nice person and I'm glad they were the first person I met here." Calm, accepting of others but still saying what was on their mind. Cam was the kind of person Lilliane would like to befriend at some point. But she knew this was something that would either happen by itself, or it wouldn't.

Listening to Wessex's explanations of the bartering system and the wilds, Lilliane nodded. "I see. So far I've been glad people were willing to take me in and help me here, even without me being able to do anything for them initially." She smiled. This was one of the things she liked about the Grounds.

"My world is called Earth. As stupid as it sounds now that I think about it." She chuckled slightly. "It's the same place Cam is from if I understood them correctly." As she continued, she was more serious again. "War is kind of a big thing. Though it also depends a lot on where you live. Some countries are always at war with one or the other. And some countries have peace for most of the time. There are even two really big countries that hate each other but don't want to go to war with each other directly. Mostly because both have weapons that might devastate the whole world if they would be used. So instead both fund smaller countries to go to war with each other, to have a proxy war."

Lilliane paused for a moment. She wasn't even sure which she preferred. This place with its full-on war of the world, or her home with the many little wars. Obviously, she'd like to have none at all, but that seemed impossible right now. "I think where there are people, there is conflict. Though I'd prefer if those conflicts wouldn't turn into wars." She made another short pause. "What do you think about all of it?"
Lilliane
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
Earth! It’s popped up enough times with various Outlanders that Wessex is familiar with the name and nods along. “Oh yes, I know about Earth. We’ve had several people portal in from there… though from what I understand, you aren’t all… from the same time. Bastien is from there - he’s also Ascended, and also quite nice - if you want to talk to him while you’re here.” Maybe it would help put her at ease (not that she seems ill at ease) to know that she isn’t alone, and there are others, particularly amongst the Ascended, who have experienced similar things.

But as they start to talk about war, Wessex realizes that Lilianne might know far, far more than she does about it. In some ways it makes a lot of sense and the General is able to draw parallels between what the Outlander is talking about, and what’s going on here. “Ahhh, okay. So that’s like the Gods and heralds with the demigods, kind of. I imagine a true fight between our Gods would do far more damage than they want, so they poison their follower’s minds and encourage hatred and bribe with power - and let them take care of the rest. And maybe if enough people have died and damage is done, they can force a surrender?” She might call it propaganda. Wessex would call it bullshit and manipulation.

Which is in general what she thinks of the whole racket. Despite being on the better behaved side, she knows the Voice isn’t innocent - hell, she isn’t innocent. But in the grand scheme of things, she’ll clain the high road without a moment’s hesitation. Wrinkling her nose, Wessex sighs. “This war is bullshit, brought on by hate and fear and an inability to accept change. And we’re caught in the middle. Innocent people have died over it and are going to continue to die and… no one really seems to care. It sucks. I just want to explore the world and fuck, I don’t know, have a real lover one day. Instead -” She gestures helplessly to the world around them. “I’m a General. Trying to prepare my people as best I can. And half of them… don’t seem to recognize the danger.”

So what's a woman to do, when she's fighting against all that?
No, I’ll be the stone
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
Until now, Lilliane hadn't drawn the parallels between the wars in her homeworld and the one in Caido. But after Wessex compared them directly, it was hard to miss. "With wars, or many kinds of group conflicts, the ones who want the war are not the ones who actually have to fight and put their life on the line. Maybe it's because they are too distanced from the people, that they don't think about the lives they're putting on the line." There was this saying about walking a mile in another's shoes. Maybe the gods should try this as well. Then again, who was she to tell the gods what to do?

When Wessex continued talking, Lilliane listened with a somewhat sad expression. For a moment she was thinking of putting a hand on Wessex's shoulder. But at the same time, it felt wrong in a way. To try and comfort a demigod, who's also some high rank in this community, when Lilliane herself neither truly belonged in this world nor felt like she even understood what was going on here.

Instead, she nodded. "People are good at deciding not to notice things. I think many of them decided not to recognize the danger." A short pause followed before she continued on. "But I think they're trying to help in their own way. Even if it's by simple things like keeping daily life going. Because if everyone only thinks about the war and focuses solely on preparing for it, then they lose sight of what they're doing it for. And that shouldn't be gods or big ideas, but the simple, daily life they want to protect."
Lilliane
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Wessex has to duck her head at the very logical and quite frankly, very astute analysis Lilliane offers about her family’s behavior. “That’s… very smart.” A faint smile appears as she raises her head again, note quite chagrined, but well aware of the lesson learned. “I didn’t think about that. I’m not…” Oh, what is the word she’s looking for? “Great at understanding why something other than what I see is logical and smart is done.”

And when it comes to war and fighting and strategy, she’s had some blinders on.

“So what do you do you want to do with your life here?” the General asks with a gently curious head tilt. She makes the assumption that there will be a life for Lilliane to live, despite the impending storm clouds. It’s implied that there will be a future, for what might only be obvious to Wessex - that she likes this Outlander, and would like to see more of her - nay, would like to see her thrive.
No, I’ll be the stone
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
If there was one thing Lilliane hadn't expected, it was to be called smart all of a sudden. Surprised but also happy about it, she smiled at Wessex. "Well, you have to know your weaknesses to work on them. So acknowledging you're not good at something is the first, and most difficult, step." Another, this time encouraging, smile. "I guess I'll have to work on the opposite though. Doing things I feel are right, instead of thinking about others." In the end, even back then when she had done seemingly selfish things, it had never been about her. Not to her.

When the question turned to her future life in Caido, Lilliane thought for a moment. "I'm not entirely sure yet. I know I want to continue working as a cook. Maybe even open my own cafe at some point." Looking around at the place around them, she then shook her head. "Actually, I think it's more than just that. I'd like to create a place where everyone is welcome, where they are taken for who they truly are, and where everyone gets a second chance. I'm not sure how exactly this would look, or if I can even do such a thing, but that's what I would really like to do."
Lilliane
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Tilting her head from side to side in thought, Wessex comes a conclusion that sucks for her but is probably best for Lilliane. “It pains me to say this, but the Grounds isn’t the most profitable place for a cook right now.” Wry and dry, they both know what she means by this. “As much as I would love for you to stay here.” And she would, truly - but with everything as it is - Wessex has to think of her first. She who definitely didn’t ask to be dropped in a hot spot at the onset of war’s foreplay.

“Because that’s what I wanted the Grounds to be, how I think many of the Ascended want the world to be, but…” Shaking her head, she trails off, and a sudden shout of her name has her looking to her left, where someone approaches. “Oh damn. Someone she wanted to avoid, and here she is, caught in the open with no place and no excuse to go.

“Hey, if we all survive this thing and you want to set up shop here, we have an abandoned bakery that could be easily converted, I think. And if you prefer elsewhere, well, you’re always welcome.” She flashes a fanged smile at the Outlander and pushes herself up, brushing the grass and bits of natural debris off herself before making a secret face back to Lilliane. Here goes nothing.
No, I’ll be the stone
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
With a little chuckle about the grimace, Lilliane got up as well. "Maybe that's all the more reason to open a cafe here. To make the Grounds more welcoming for people who aren't Ascended." She wasn't quite sure if there was a way to stop this war from even starting. But she would definitely try. Even if it was by cooking. "To make it a place where everyone can feel at home if they want to."

Glancing over at whoever had called out to Wessex, then back to Wessex herself, Lilliane smiled. "Thanks. For taking the time. And sorry I kept you busy so long." She felt like she had taken away the little amount of free time Wessex had.

FIN
Lilliane