a little journey into the unknown
Enzo Kaliesin

Age: 21 | Height: | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Enzo

Growing up with a witch is arguably the coolest thing ever, if you ask Enzo. Even if you don't ask, it's liable you'll end up hearing about it anyway. Now, he might be a little muddled on what exactly entails witchcraft, but passion is the real motivator right now so we'll focus on that. There are so many different species of plants in the Greatwood, and he has satchels and jars aplenty to stuff them into. Enzo at least has the forethought to wear some gloves (which are making his hands incredibly sweaty) but childish shortsightedness means he doesn't actually know what he's collecting, or even what parts are the pertinent ones.

Never to fear, because the entire plant usually comes along - roots to tip. Dirt is smudged across his cheeks, jars clinking merrily at his hip in his mother's stolen bag as the boy tugs at a particularly tall plant that doesn't want to let go of the earth below. Even when he grunts and pulls with all his strength, the roots below only bulge the soil above, refusing to truly part from it.
I thought that I'd know everything by this time
but I'll be dazed and confused all my life
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Oh, that one really doesn't want to let go, does it?" Vai smiles brightly to Enzo as she appears through the trees, her own bag slung over one shoulder, Coco coiled around her left arm. As wild as the woods they walk in, she has embraced the Longheat weather by sweeping her curls up into a high braid off her neck, though the Greatwood is still stifling at best. "Here you go - I have just the thing for you."

Kneeling in the dirt beside Enzo, Vai produces a small trowel perfect for child-sized hands. "Sometimes," she explains, "we must persuade the plants to come out and see us. Brute force just makes them stubborn." Winking, she demonstrates by carefully teasing at the earth with the trowel around the plant's roots, before offering it to the boy so he can have a go. "What do you think this one is, mm?"
and the sun
will rise
Enzo Kaliesin

Age: 21 | Height: | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Enzo

Enzo startles, though his sunny smile emerges as soon as his eyes settle on Vai. “Nonna!” he cheers, baby fat crinkling his eyes into little green slits like a fox kit with the force of his grin. If she weren’t already coming his way he likely would have abandoned the plant entirely, but instead he scoots over on his knees to provide room for her beside the plant. Watching raptly, he eagerly takes the trowel she hands him. “Is your bag magic too?” Or had this been an intended gift for him?

Tongue peeking out from between his teeth, Enzo pries the tip of the trowel into the dry earth. “I dunno! It looks like what you have in the garden, the carry-away one, but a littleee different?” His trowel work is eager if a bit sloppy, but in the next pull the roots come free and Enzo cackles triumphantly. Only to pause and stare at the dirt-coated carrot at the base. “Woah! Um, is it…just a carrot? Or is it poison? Despite the way his voice drops to a whisper, it’s clear the boy is still a little excited by the prospect.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Hello, sweetpea," Vai chimes back to Enzo, leaning across to sneak a kiss to the crown of his head while they deal with his plant problem. "Many things are magial, my boy, but I'm afraid my bag isn't one of them. I've just been watching you and your basket, and it seemed like a wise investment. I hope it serves you well," she says of the trowel, settling back to observe as he has his go with it.

And to Enzo's credit, he's as determined as he is curious, and although Vai has recognised even from a distance that it's a carrot he's gotten hold of, she says nothing, instead clapping her hands delightedly together when he manages to free the vegetable from the earth. "Oooh, I don't know of any poisons that are shaped like carrots," she tells him. "But of course that doesn't mean they don't exist. Does it smell like a carrot?"
and the sun
will rise
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
Enzo

No sneaking necessary, for all his mischief Enzo is happy to have her kiss along his forehead, and he leans into it like an eager pup. “So I can keep it?” It certainly sounds that way, which is why he sounds anticipatory, but better to ask even if only so he can thank her directly. Manners and all that.

Manners that fly out the window when plants are involved, as he’s quick to follow his grandmother’s prompting question. Lifting it near his face, and awkwardly waving his other hand towards his nose - just like she’d taught him. Waft, don’t sniff. “Smells like dirt,” he pronounces, and then uses both his hands to snap the carrot in half. “And still a carrot on the inside!” Another lesson kept in reserve - blueberries and poisonous pokeweed looked very similar, and even a handful could kill a child, so he’d learned that the insides of plants were useful indicators if the external signs were unclear. Brow furrowing, Enzo sits on his heels and holds the two pieces of carrot aloft between them. “But then why did the flowers look the same?”
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Of course you can keep it. If you don't, it might get lonely with no one to help it dig into the dirt," Vai says with a cheerful grin, giving his shoulders a gentle squeeze and sitting back so they can conduct their important, carrot-related experiments. "That isn't a bad smell - most poisonous things don't smell like dirt. Be careful, though - some poisons can hide," she explains.

The snap of the carrot is satisfying in a way that Vai can't really articulate, and she peeps at the inside of the vegetable as if to confirm that it is, in fact, orange and ordinary. "Oh, many flowers can look similar. The difference with these and the carry-away flowers is how they are pollinated - how they can make seeds," she explains. "Do you want to see if there are more carrots nearby?"
and the sun
will rise
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
Enzo

“Awesome,” he hisses like a covetous snake, keeping the trowel’s handle awkwardly perched in two of his fingers even as he handles the newly unearthed carrot, refusing to part with his new gift.

Enzo is admittedly an easily distracted child most days, but Vai’s teachings are like the holy grail, and as such are granted unwavering attention. “So like how sunflowers look like big daisies?” With their pollen at the heart of them, similar in shape and even color but entirely different in size. The offer to continue the hunt has him leaping to his feet, bottles clanking in his purloined bag as he eagerly tugs on his Nonna’s sleeve. “Yes! And then we can make a witches stew, he breathes excitedly, the words close enough to each other to be delivered with unwarranted confidence.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Do you want to keep the carrot in your satchel, or in my bag?" Vai offers, noticing the awkward way he's still clutching both trowel and vegetable. And she nods at his analogy, pride sparkling in her blue eyes. "Exactly like that. But we can't really eat daisy seeds - they're too small, and they probably don't taste very good. But sunflower seeds can be quite tasty." The same can probably be said of the carrots compared to the carry-away flowers.

Rising to her feet after him and flashing him a mischievous smile, she nods ahead where she can see some suspiciously similar looking flowers. "Witches stew, hm? Well, we'll need to find some potatoes, and green onions, and a few herbs as well. Luckily, I think I have some of that back in my vegetable garden."
and the sun
will rise
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
Enzo

Enzo pauses with his mouth open, considering his answer at the last moment as he ducks his head to look into his own bag. Hm, full. So he wriggles and maneuvers to stick the handle of the trowel under his armpit to free up his hands in order to hand the snapped carrot to Vervain. “Yours, please!” The trowel won’t be released any time soon, no sir. “Sooo did people just try things and then die to decide what we can eat?” That seems kinda messed up, but also sounds distinctly like a them problem.

Enzo is spoiled in ways that make up for the holes in his family life, and Vai’s energy and willingness to accompany him on whimsical adventures is definitely part of it. “The onions are easy,” he proclaims confidently. They’re visually distinctive at least. The confidence falters slightly seconds later. “But uh, can you help me find the others?” Distracting from his lack of knowledge, Enzo skips over to the other flowering carrots he can see nearby, brandishing his trowel like a sword with an eager grin on his dirt streaked face.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
"Mine it is," Vai beams at the boy, opening her bag for carrying the carrot and any future vegetables. And so they set off, the witch's footsteps sure and slow over the ground, being careful not to crush anything underfoot unnecessarily. Enzo's question has her brightening, though; always happy to impart wisdom on her young student, she shakes her head.

"Not exactly," she explains with a chuckle. "A lot of the time, people would observe animals and watch for the things they would eat before trying it themselves. Of course there is some trial and error there, because we are all different, but that must have certainly been helpful."

More than happy to help, she nods and picks up her pace to where she knows there'll be a crop of onions and herbs. The potatoes she's had to cultivate, but as Enzo has said - the rest will be easy. "Over here!" she trills, already bending to pluck at some sage she's found sprouting.
and the sun
will rise
Enzo Kaliesin

Change author:
Enzo

It's a little difficult with an attention span roughly the length of a single noodle of spaghetti and just as floppy, but Enzo tries to imitate Vervain's graceful way of stepping on the barest parts of earth as she walks. Lending his ear as he makes his way to the cluster of carrots, their white buds like spotlights that draw his eyes. Squatting down to harvest the bounty beneath their floral markers, tongue peeking out of the corner of his mouth, Enzo mulls over this new information. "Have you ever made something poisonous on purpose?" The 'why' of it, if she has, is a vague miasma consisting of monsters and grandiose battles, but he's nevertheless curious.

Carrots swinging in a bunch at the bottom of his fist, Enzo hurries along at Vai's call, holding the carrots out to be added to the others in her bag. As he looks down to suss out what she's found, the boy makes an excited croon. "Sage! I can put this in my jars." He plucks an empty one from his own satchel, placing it down between them so they can fill it together and share the burden in both ways.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
Vervain
even the darkest night
will end
Catching his battle with the carrots out of the corner of her eye, Vai smiles to herself and continues to take clippings of the sage until the young herbalist comes to join her. "Mm, on purpose? No, I can't say that I have," she admits. "I have the knowledge for it, but I'm a healer at heart, I suppose. And when hunting, it's not good practice to poison the meat you'll want to eat later." Winking, she opens her bag and adds the carrots to it.

"Your brother Mateo would probably know more, though," she continues. She doesn't know if it's a good idea, for a boy to dabble in poisons (and to teach his baby brother about them), but Enzo will find out eventually either way, she imagines. "He has probably identified every plant in the Greatwood at this point."

Smiling and nodding as he produces an empty jar, Vai helps to transfer the sage into it, using a few clippings for the stew and also adding a young plant with the roots intact for him to plant later. "There."
and the sun
will rise