lying in wait

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

The thoughts going through Gideon's mind during his final hours will never be known to us. Dogmatic at the end like so many of us are, it will be for the Priest to find out as his soul rises to meet Mort's, just how well-founded his religious zeal was.

As for Sam? Sam had the bad luck of deciding to leave the Grounds when he did.

Lingering outside the barrier, the Priest waited. Indiscriminate, he would take the first ascended who came through. It just so happened that ascended had been Sam, out for nothing more villainous than a stroll beneath the stars.

///

Dawn would find the bodies of the two men, intertwined and sticky with fluid and blood both. There are significant sun-light burns on Sam thanks to Gideon's method of murder, but likewise, the Priest was chewed up enough to suggest that the once-humble bookmaker had not gone down without a fight.

Both Gideon and Samuel are dead.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

A M U N
I'll tell you my sins
and you can sharpen your knife
Amun had been out gathering clay during the night. After finally filling up his buckets, he'd hoisted them up and turned to head back home. However, something in the distance caught his eye. Frowning, he whistled for Zhanshi, who returned from terrorizing the small creatures that managed to eke out an existence in the Outskirts until the landshark's jaws closed on them.

Picking his way through the uneven ground, he narrowed his eyes as he approached the scene. Then he froze in places, completely motionless, as his mind finally accepted what his eyes had been telling him. The buckets fell from his hands as he shrieked. "SAM!" Dashing forward, he fell to his knees next to the bodies, heedless of the muck, grime, fluid, blood, and everything else staining the ground. "No...no, no, no," he chanted, rocking back and forth.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
EDREI

Edy and Sam had almost sort of had a thing. It was sweet and cute in a way that neither of them had expected, but hadn't really gone anywhere. Now, unless necrophilia was on the table, it never would.

"What the fucking fuck." She whispers, coming to stand nearish to Amun but giving the other man space that he might continue to rock Sam back and forth in his arms. Sure, part of Edy wanted to snatch a bit of the bookmaker away so that she'd have something to hold onto, but it didn't seem appropriate. Instead, she folded her arms tightly across her chest and instead set her dark stare on Gideon.

"If I could still piss..." Edy said in a threatening tone. Not being able to empty her bladder onto his face, instead she turns and kicks the dead Priest square in the jaw.
who wants to fall in love
when you can fall asleep?
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Cameron
Cam didn't wander across the bodies of their own accord -- they could have kept walking without ever noticing the grisly scene, if not for Amun's cry. They came running, hoping against hope that there was some way they could help -- perhaps with their new healing upgrade -- even though Amun's tone gave them a sickening feeling that it was too late.

"What the fuck," Cam whispered, halting at the sight of the bodies. "Oh my god ... Sam."

And also Priest Asshole, but Cam didn't really care about him right now. They hadn't known Sam that well -- certainly not as well as Amun, clutching the body -- but they'd liked him; they'd wanted to get to know him better. And now they never would.

"Fuck," Cam muttered. First Mabel, now Sam. Cam's eyes went glassy as they whispered, "They're just going to pick us off one by one."

"Light painting" by kevin dooley is licensed with CC BY 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
W E S S E X
Maybe the Knowtbook had told her. Maybe Sam had called, finally thinking logically in the last moments of his life, or maybe Loki spied a party and wanted in on it. It doesn’t matter what brings her to this murder scene, she comes hot on Cam’s heels.

“They fucking are not, the Wraith growls, surveying the scene: a sobbing Amun (why? She didn’t actually know the potter had feelings for Sam), and angry Edy, and a scared Cam.Gods. What else is there to say? Aiming a kick at another part of Gideon, she comes to squat down next to Amun, placing a hand on his shoulder and peering at the burned and slightly shimmery body of the bookmaker.

She should feel more for Sam, she should. There’s definitely a sadness, a kind of ache in her chest, but it’s numb at the edges. It’s the calm disappointment and realization of someone who’s seen far too much death, and now just thinks of the next steps. “Come on, let’s take him home.”
The Wraith

Code blatantly stolen from the fantastical, wonderful Odd
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
EDREI

"What the FUCK for?" Edy screams at Wessex, though her anger isn't directed at the Wraith or her suggestion, so much as the motherfucking bullshit unfairness of it all. She and Sam could have fucking been something, and even if not, he was a good one in a way that no one else was.

Ascended's didn't cry, not really, and so it was with teeth clenched together so hard that she was pretty sure she heard one crack, that Edy straightens. "Imma find that big guy. Sunjata. Imma bite him and then we're going to Stormbreak. Sam ain't in there anymore, so do whatever with his body. But those fucks are going to pay." Tightening her hands into fists, the Rapacious casts her gaze around at those still lingering.

"Anyone who wants to come can come. Anyone else is a little bitch and I hate you." No, she mostly didn't mean that, but equally, she sort of did. Because Ohana means family, and family means you fuck up the people who kill the ginger you wanted to bang.
who wants to fall in love
when you can fall asleep?
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

A M U N
I'll tell you my sins
and you can sharpen your knife
As Edrei approached, Amun looked up at her. For a moment, he just stared. Then he blinked and shifted over. "We went dancing. Just the other night." Looking down at the body, the potter growled low in his throat. Rising to his feet, he aimed a kick at the corpse of whoever did this to the bookmaker, following in the Raspacious' footsteps.

As Cameron arrived and spoke up, Amun's growl intensified. "No. They're not. Because we're going to burn them to the fucking ground." Then Wessex arrived and he shook off her hand from his shoulder. Then Edrei was laying down the law and Amun snarled. "I'm with her. If you don't want to risk it, fine, but they're clearly not going to back the fuck off. I know I just got back but even I can see it's past so time to show them we're not going to lay down and fucking take it." He stalked over to Edy and activated his metal upgrade, forming two knives in his hands.
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Cameron
Cam took a deep breath. Right. Anger. Revenge. They pushed their own horror down and looked at the other Ascended, who had known Sam so much longer, who had so much more reason to be angry, horrified, etc. than Cam did.

"I don't think fucking shit up is really my area of expertise," Cam said, holding up their weak little noodle arms. "If I come with you, I'll just hold you back." Morally more than physically, perhaps. Even considering Sam's death, Cam couldn't help feel a little squeamish about the idea of revenging themselves on Stormbreak. After all, Sam's killer was here, already dealt with; who else in Stormbreak deserved to be hurt? Wasn't the idea of "all Stormbreakers need to pay for Sam's death" the same as "all Ascended need to pay for the Mathair"?

Cam pushed those thoughts away. Whatever they believed, they certainly weren't stupid enough to try to hold Edy back. "But ... I hope you make them think twice before doing something like this again."

They turned to Wessex, swallowing hard. "I can help you with the body, if you need me."

"Light painting" by kevin dooley is licensed with CC BY 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
W E S S E X
“Because someone needs to clean him up, take him to Evie, and make sure no one takes an opportunity to invade the Grounds after provoking the stronger Ascended to leave for revenge. We can't be predictable like that.” She may appear calm, but her jaw is set in a diamond-chiseled line as she spares just a glance for the spitting cobra Edy’s become. The insinuation that she's just going to take it lying down stings, so she looks up tries to recount any useful information about Stormbreak. “You’ll want the Order’s Tower. Sunjata knows where it is and what it looks like. He’s in King’s End. While you’re there, watch out for Dragoons and their dragon companions, they’ll probably swarm you. And if they start channeling, the heralds or Gods might show up, so - and, here -” She reaches awkwardly for Gideon’s body and starts to rifle through his clothing, looking for his compass.

Once she finds it, she hands one to Amun, and then pulls Cian’s from her own pocket. “These will bring you back to the Grounds if you need to get out quickly.” That one, she hands to Edy. “Give it to whomever.”

And then, a sigh, because she is exhausted and is tired of telling people what to do or not do, but it has to be said. “Try not to hurt too many innocent people. Please. Stormbreakers aren’t to blame. The Order is.” Flashing a grim, but appreciative look at Cam, she nods. "If you want to get that fucker, I'll handle Sam." Who knows what they'll do with Gideon's body, but she isn't about to let it go to waste quite yet - there might be some use. As evidence. Or whatever.

------------

Wessex gives Amun Gideon's compass and passes Cian's over for Edy or ANYONE in the party to use.

{Fin}
The Wraith

Code blatantly stolen from the fantastical, wonderful Odd