make it wit chu
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE
sometimes the same is different, but mostly it's the same
these mysteries of life, that just aint my thing
Nate makes it a month. Give or take a week, dates get away from him, slip into each other until he’s barely sure if it’s night or day, his schedule based more on random whim than any accepted measurement of time. This time though, he knows it’s been at least a month. It didn’t work unless it has been, after all.

When he’s feeling generous, he calls what he does an opportunity, when he’s not it’s a grift. Get someone in, have them last as long as they can, collect rent. It’s not that Nate really needs a roommate, but sometimes he needs the cash. Sometimes, he really, really needs it, and that leads to him banging on the door of the second, smaller bedroom at some ungodly hour of the morning, the one clock that had been on the living/dining room wall claiming it was only ten, something even Nate can recognize as a lie.

If it was that early, there’s no way he’d still be knocking, pressed in against the door like it’s the cheap, flimsy pressboard that he’s about to extort and not the doe-eyed sucker behind it. A kid, in the sense that he wasn’t the usual kind of desperate who answered Nate’s ad. He was clean, and he paid in cash, and if it wasn’t for the naivety that rolled off him like a plume of smoke Nate would almost think it was a cover.

Hey!Knock knock knock. “Sunshine!” That wasn’t right, but it had enough of the same sounds to be a reasonable nickname. Probably. It was a nice nickname anyway, not like Nate was slurring bitchface. “C’mon, time to pay up buddy!
if i told you that i knew about the sun and the moon, I'd be untrue
the only thing i know for sure, is what i wanna do
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
you wanna know if i know why, i can't say that i do
don't understand the evil eye, or how one becomes two
It was an attempt to get out of the overreaching fingers of his father – to move out of the way, into his own space, not on a nice street down in Malibu but somewhere grungier, somewhere rougher, somewhere that even his father likely wouldn’t look at too closely. And so far, for this month, it’s worked. He’s managed to spend the time working on his studies, the books spread across the room he’s renting from someone whom he doesn’t know very well, who seemed just as surprised as he did that Sunjata had answered the ad.

But it had worked out. He kept to himself, cleaned up whenever Nate wasn’t around, kept his space pretty minimal. And for the most part, they’d left each other alone. Until today, that is, the knock on the door insistent and the nickname? What the fuck was that about? He tosses over in his bed, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose, throwing back the covers of his bed and sits up. He squints at the clock, five ‘o clock.

He contemplates letting Nate go on until he tires out, but he realizes the sooner that he pays his rent, the sooner it’s over and he can go back to sleep.

He trudges to the door, his hair sleep tossed and a five o clock shadow on his face (fitting if not for the right am/pm timeframe), nothing more than a pair of shorts when he opens the door a crack, his steel gaze full of exhaustion with a hint of a glare. “It’s five am.” He says matter of factly, stepping back to open the door wider, letting Nate step into his surprisingly clean room full of books on boring things like law and notepads full of notes he’s torn out and kept organized in a different folder. “And my name’s not Sunshine.” He adds on as if for emphasis, though he doesn’t even know if Nate’s listening. He scoops up his pants from the night before, fishing out his wallet, pulling out the cash to turn to Nate and scans him. “Next time can it wait until nine? You’re lucky I had it on me.
i just can't recall what started it all, or how to begin in the end
i ain't here to break it, just see how far it will bend
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
Bright eyes meet the glare head-on, Nate's grin equal parts dazed and pointed. He spends a moment very deliberately leaning against the doorframe —hand behind head, casual flex, fingers scratching at his belly where his shirt rides up, slow look up and down Sunjata— and looking around the room. At one point in his silent inspection, he very nearly leans in so far he stumbles, managing to save it with a spot of concentration and the flash of his tongue between his teeth. "Is it?" His head dips closer to the other man with each word, like a puppet strung too loosely, wiggling around where it isn’t supposed to. The hand not supporting him flicks up with a flourish, Nate squinting at his bare wrist for a moment before looking up again at Sunjata's back.

Dark brows pinch, Nate's tongue dipping out of his mouth again to run along his bottom lip. "Is there... something wrong with sunshine?" He reaches out to playfully push Sunjata's arm, the grin making a triumphant return to his face. "I could call you worse." There's too much laughter in his voice for it to be a real threat, or at least too much for it to come across like one. He pushes off the doorframe and takes a step into Sunjata's room, looking around while he does and aiming the next step in the direction of the bed. It's not the one that the last guy had had in here, it looks plush, almost new, and before he knows it Nate finds himself sitting, hands spread out on either side of him.

The second he notices cash a hand stretches out, aimed at Sunjata before he's even managed to turn around fully. Without hesitating, Nate thumbs through the bills, pretending to count them. "What changes at nine? You get a money order come in? Guy shows up with a card? Or are you just one of those pricks who shows up right when the bank opens?" He licks his thumb and shuffles through the bills again, still not counting them. "Solid maybe." So, no, but he's not going to say that right away. Despite having what he came for, Nate doesn't move off Sunjata's bed, instead flicking through the bills a third time before precisely folding them into two separate piles and shoving them down the front of his pants.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
Honestly, it’s not what he expects to see from Nate when he answers the door. He expects the cool, aloof guy that’d shown him his room and essentially fucked off to god knew where. This time, though, it’s different, the focus of those electric blue eyes is on him in a different way. Not trying to figure him out the way he had when he’d just arrived. No, this time, Nate’s got something else hiding behind those eyes. And Sunjata can’t tell if he’s intrigued or, well, intimidated.

At the very least, staying here hits all those boxes of some shitty hole somewhere that his father wouldn’t dare to look.

You could.” Call him worse, that is, even if it’s punctuated with a laugh, Sunjata’s voice is flat. He’s tired. He’d stayed up too late studying for an exam that’s coming up in a couple of days and he needs to make sure everything goes just right. “There’s… No, nothing wrong with Sunshine it’s just,” exasperation comes quick to the younger man, stumbling over his words because Nate had caught him at a bad time and he’s never been good with them to begin with. “It’s not my name.

He hands Nate the cash, though, watches as he flips through the bills once. Twice. Three times, making a home in his bed that’s still warm from him getting up, smelling like a small mixture of old cigarette smoke and textbook paper, a fading scent of some sort of fancy cologne added to the mix. “What changes at nine is I can go and get the cash. What would you have done if I didn’t have it right this second?” He asks, head tilting as he leans back against his dresser, eyeing Nate for a moment before his brows pinch together when he shoves the wad of cash down his pants.

His steel gaze lingers there for a moment (too long), before it rises abruptly to Nate’s face, his brows still pinched. “Are you high?
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Thanks for the permission, princess.” Didn’t like sunshine? Fine, he can roll with it, he can dance. Let the record show Nathaniel J. Wren made every effort to be an accomadating roommate. “A nickname means we’re buddies man. Pals. Amigos.” If Nate notices HES moving too fast for Sunjata to keep up, he doesn’t seem to care. It’s not like it really matters anyway, he’s moving too fast to stay caught up himself, his abused mind running screaming from one thought to the next, sometimes doubling back when it remembers how interesting one had been no, not that one, the one before maybe? This had started with with their one month.

Somewhere in the middle of calling Sunjata names, Nate loses the thread, forgets what nine even has to do with it. Tries to make an educated guess, and when nothing comes to mind defaults to being vaguely insulted. “You’d go at nine? That’s still not nine!” All at once the rest of the conversation slams into his head again, and he leans back into the mattress propped up on an elbow. “Dunno what I’d do. Didn’t have to think that far ahead.” it’s a vague threat that drifts away, Nate unable to not notice the way the other man’s eyes follow his hand.

The way they linger.

Without missing a beat, Nate let’s his knees fall open a little wider, let’s his hand linger where it is. There’s a clear imprint of his knuckles tenting the fabric, twitching as he flexes his hand, just a little. All the while he keeps his eyes on Sunjata, waiting for their gazes to meet again, so he can stare directly in the other man’s face as he pulls his hand back and splays it on his pillow.

It’s a question that surprises him, despite how often it backhands him across the face. Despite how absolutely sensible it is to ask. Maybe it’s just coming from Sunjata, instead of someone in a so called position of authority over him. “Dunno.” He all but pushes the word out of his mouth with his tongue, lips tugging up in a grin that barely clings to his face. “Ask me again at nine.” Wide blue eyes carve out a moment to drink in the other man’s reaction, and then Nate’s laughing, breathless and giddy, his whole body shaking with it.

It takes entirely too much time before he pulls himself together, half collapsed on Sunjata’s bed. Nate sucks in a deep breath, catching a whiff of the cologne, and then shoves himself off the bed in a frantic, panicked huff, landing with a solid thump in a heap on the ground. A hand comes up to wipe at his face, hiding the glassy eyes and the tremble in his jaw long enough for them to disappear.

With no small amount of effort, Nate pushes himself to his feet again and leans in Sunjata’s direction, a finger coming out to just barely poke his chest. The draft and sway is gone from the gesture, and the corners of Nate’s grin suddenly seem strained. “I’m makin’ breakfast.Poke.You’re up now, yeah?” He doesn’t wait for an answer, just nods his head and steps backwards out of the room, eyes not leaving Sunjata until Nate turns to grab the doorknob and slam the door closed between them.

Before long, there is the smell of frying bacon, paired with poorly muffled curses as the meat presumably spits up like particularly cantankerous baby. So at least Nate’s not completely full of shit.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Princess?!!?

The look on Sunjata’s face shifts from annoyed to a flash of quite a few different emotions – surprise, annoyed, horrified, before he manages to school it into something easier for the follow-up, as if Nate’s trying to smooth it over. And all Sunjata can do is frown, a few muscles feathering in his jaw. He wants to deny it, to reply with a ‘cool, the fuck do I call you then if we’re supposed to be buddies?’ but he doesn’t, instead he just wracks his exhausted brain, fully not catching up with the conversation as it sways – the complete opposite of Nate’s rabbiting thoughts.

Because while the other man’s thoughts dart around a million miles a minute, Sunjata’s still stuck on the first one, moving on slowly to the next, to when he zones out, humming some sound of noncomittence when he realizes where he’s been staring, brows inching briefly before his gaze lifts up and it’s a hint sharper, a hint clearer, an inch closer to a glare as Nate makes himself comfortable on his bed.

So he tries to knock Nate a bit off balance, the question leaving him immediately, his gaze boring into the other man’s face as his arms fold across his chest, his body language closing himself off as he stares and waits, only to get some shitty answer in response. What the fuck.

He shakes his head, reaches up to run a hand through his shorter hair, before he draws it back down to pinch the bridge of his nose just in time to feel the first prod Nate gives to his chest, a huff of his breath as his hand drops to hover over Nate’s – after all, it’s the first time they’ve touched, right? (not counting the brief little contact given when Nate’s fingers brush against his hand to take the cash he’s given, don’t look into that too much). But he doesn’t touch Nate’s hand, instead, his steel gaze peers up at Nate’s sharp face, his jaw working.

Another poke and the man’s stepping backward out of his room and Sunjata’s rolling his eyes, stepping up to follow him out of the room when the door slams shut in his face.

Fine, guess if it’s going to be like that.

He stares at his bed for a bit longer, gaze dancing between the books he needs to get up to start studying early for – knowing full well he’s wide the fuck awake now. Thanks Nate. He decides a bit of breakfast can’t hurt. Maybe he can eat and pass out a little longer or try to get some studying in until he’s tired and then he can pass out. So he puts himself together a bit more, throwing a shirt on, some thick pajama pants in place of the shorts, before he opens the door to be blasted in the face by the smell of bacon and his stomach rumbles. Sunjata sighs, but follows the scent, pushing all other thoughts aside to sink himself down into a chair at the little inlet they have to the kitchen, head propped on his open palm, fingers twisting in his short crop of hair. “You got coffee too?” He asks, tired steel watching the other man for a moment before his gaze drifts away, hopefully before Nate notices.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
The kitchen counter had been… well, not immaculate, but at least tidy the night before. Now, it’s a battleground, discarded corpses of eggshells and bacon wrappers tossed haphazardly out of Nate’s way. Bottles lay on their side, drained and spiritless, and a funeral procession of cups and mugs stand upright and solemn in the midst of it all, though on two seem to have anything in them. As soon as he notices Sunjata opening the door again, Nate grabs one of them and finishes it off, the cloudy liquid disappearing down his throat before it can be questioned.

Nate’s eyes are blown wide, strong at Sunjata as he sits himself down. He has to bite his tongue to fight a smile, his face trembling with the effort of remaining serious. “So,” he flinches as the bacon spits at him again, and steps to the side, reaching for his steaming coffee mug, “y’come here often?

Course I got coffee Sun… Sun.” The stumble seems unintentional, Nate’s brows furrowing before he shakes himself out of it. “S’there.” Nate waves his hand at nothing in particular before he moves to grab it all himself, finding a chipped mug in the cupboard for Sunjata and filling it with a dark, bitter smelling espresso from the banged up silver pot resting on the stove, kitty corner to the pan playing host to more bacon and eggs than two men should reasonably need.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
There’s an immediate abundance of things sprawled out everywhere in the kitchen and a deep part of Sunjata that hopes that Nate will clean it up. But he knows better – he knows that typically when Nate’s passed out in his room and Sunjata takes a little escape for a bad habit he’s picked up, he finds himself cleaning up the space. So it’s with a slightly distracted mind – as well as sleep deprived – that he starts making the mental lists and checks of what exactly he’ll have to do later, when Nate’s words reach him and take him a bit off guard.

What?” He asks, looking up when Nate flinches from the bacon and his brows draw together, the words hitting him a few seconds later and his cheeks flushing a deep red of embarrassment, almost enough to reach the tips of his ears. He bypasses it, though, quickly – hoping that he can cover his stumble as Nate forgets his name again and Sunjata tries to figure out just how he can make it to where Nate might remember his name while also not getting too close.

After all, its temporary. He’s got school and Nate’s got…. Whatever the fuck Nate’s got. “You can call me Sunny if you want.” He offers up tentatively, watching Nate make the coffee and getting distracted by the eggs and bacon in the pan that looks as if they might be eating on it for days to come. Now, Sunjata’s never really been a cook but he can certainly make sure the bacon gets flipped, so he stands and moves toward the pan, unflinching when the grease pops and grabs the little fork to turn the bacon once he’s noticed that it’s gotten crispier on one side than the other. “All this just for us or are you expecting company?Should I stay and eat or should I just grab my plate and go study like I’m supposed to be doing right now?
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
Lookit you, good boy.” The velvety purr rolls into Sunjata’s ear from far too close behind him, a practiced hand trading the fork for a mug handle seamlessly, Nate gently but insistently shoving the other man away from the stove. “You wanna help, Sunny? You can make toast. I’ve smelled what you do in a kitchen.” The coffee pressed into Sunjata’s hand is espresso, cinnamon, and sugar, in no holy combination. If nothing else, it wakes him up near immediately.

A suspicious stare snaps towards Sunjata, Nate’s free hand snapping up to grab at the pepper, the entire gesture needlessly threatening.  “Are we expecting company?” An accusatory note dances it’s bleeding heart across his words, dressing hurt up as insult and forgetting to hide the wobbling lip. Nate only turns away again when he has to flip the eggs, the spatula demanding more attention than the fork had. Drawn up shoulders and a chilly silence say everything his face had been though, if not more.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
He’s not sure what the tone in Nate’s voice means, but he does feel his cheeks flare up – whether from the audacity or because it’s a term nobody has called him before, let alone this close and it does something within him that he just can’t admit to placing just yet. But he gets shoved from the stove and the comment made has his brows rising as he turns to focus on Nate, managing a small huff of a surprised laugh before he rolls his eyes. “I never learned how, okay?” He rumbles in defense, letting it fall away as the conversation shifts and Nate’s staring at him in a way he doesn’t understand.

But he does understand the shift in the mood and confusion flares within his gut as he works on the coffee, getting it all put together to start brewing by the time he looks over to see Nate’s drawn shoulders, the awkward silence, the cold he feels radiating from the other man. He’s not awake enough for this yet, so he answers simply. “No, ‘least I’m not. Thought you might be.” He offers quietly, focusing on the mug he shoves under the coffee maker. “But if you aren’t then I guess it’s just us, if that’s still fine?” There’s a surprised placement of hope within it – that he finds despite his strange and terrible morning he actually looks forward to this.