Mini Event Bastien, Remembered
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

If you were going to pretend you were dead, it was sad to do it without sending yourself off. Bastien had always been one for frills and pomp, for all the formalities and show one could get, and he would not miss the chance to throw himself a funeral. On the last day of Longnight, even! How thematically fantastic! End of the dark, into a new light.

There wasn't going to be a coffin, of course; his story was that he had been ripped apart by terrible beasts in the night and the body was far too mangled to show. Far too ruined to put on display, to ruin everyone's memory of his fantastical beauty. No, all he had was a self portrait he'd painted while bored a few weeks ago and some candles. It would do.

There was something quite nice about being able to go to the Rathskellar as a fresh face, unrecognised and able to observe without interruption. To his annoyance, no one was talking about his absence, but he was sure that would change after the event. Around the inn he put up notices saying the following:

FUNERAL SERVICE FOR BASTIEN DE ROSIERES

BASTIEN WAS SADLY KILLED DURING A HEROIC RESCUE THIS LONGNIGHT. HE WAS MUCH BELOVED BY ALL WHO KNEW HIM AND VERY ACCOMPLISHED AS WELL AS TALENTED. A SERVICE TO REMEMBER HIM WILL BE HELD BY JEDIDIAH (NEW CHURCH OF SAFRIN LEADER) ON THE LAST DAY OF LONGNIGHT AT 7:30PM.

When the moment finally arrived he made sure all the candles were lit and stood waiting at the top of the room in his most regal and dignified outfit, all dark blue and blacks. He was old, yes, some might say ugly, but that didn't mean he couldn't be striking. He hoped he'd gotten enough chairs with the many people bound to come.
Bastien
Oh what an exit, that's how to go
When they're ringing your curtain down
Demand to be buried like Bastien De Rosieres
It's quite a sunset
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

Bastien?

Dead?

Heroic rescue?

Remi would never accuse a dead man of anything untoward, but...it all sounded so strange. The funeral had come together so quickly, despite the fact that Remi hadn't even heard of the death until reading the sign, much less heard the account from whomever it was Bastien had saved.

But then again, what sort  of monster would lie about such a thing, especially given all the actual death which had occurred.

Spying an eldery man who had to be this Jedidiah, the alchemist walked over to introduce himself. "Ah, hello. My name is Remi Abruzzo. I helped Bastien in setting this place up . I am so very sorry to hear of his passing."

remi
Don't pretend it's such a mystery
Think about the place where you first met me
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
i am your friend, a soul for your soul.
home. sun or water, here or away —
The absolute last thing Rexanna expected, when she left to visit Bastien now that it was safe outside of the Rathskeller, was to find a sign, showing that the church was under new management and that Bastien had somehow managed to die. As she read the sign, she knew she had to go – he had been her friend, and a close one at that. He had effectively rescued her from the spiral of her thoughts during Longnight, and where he had gone after that she wasn’t sure. She hadn’t even checked on him.

So with a pit in her stomach, she went and gathered her things – dressed in the darkest color she had (a royal dark blue dress that fit tightly to her curves) and slipped back toward the Church of Safrin to attend the funeral. She brought nothing with her, aside from herself, and as she arrived she noticed she wasn’t the only one. An old man stood at the front, dressed in a similar color as she – a man she didn’t recognize. But there was one that she did, Remi, as he spoke introductions to the elderly man.

Her sapphire gaze slipped from them to the candles around the church as to not interrupt, and when the moment came she, too, approached – stepping up beside Remi and offering him a quiet solemn smile. “Hello.” She hummed quietly, as if uncertain how to introduce herself. Remi had helped Bastien set up the place – Rexanna had simply been a friend, artistic model, and ear to lend. So she’d settle with friend in the least bit of confusion. “I’m Rexanna Reyes. I was a good friend of Bastien.” She paused, glancing to Remi briefly. “I’m sorry too. We had…” She paused, glancing away and back toward the stage where she had posed for Bastien to paint, and with a hefty sigh, she looked back to Jedidiah. “We were going to explore outside the barrier together, once it was gone.” She offered quietly, though that vibrant honey dipped tone still remained.
—we are a lighthouse,
we leave and we stay.
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 16 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
Lily
sing me a song of a lass that is gone
Lily is sad, but not distraught. It’s weird, right? But she’d come to a conclusion after a few weeks of staying in the Church that she and Bastien could agree on some things, but not a great many. They were artists, but different kinds of artists. The move towards turning the building into a Brothel had really pissed her off, though, and she’d never really regained a great amount of goodwill towards her host, despite his offer to let her stay without having to work in it.

He didn’t know much about his lodger. He didn’t know she was, for all intents and purposes, a colonial courtesan. He didn’t know. But then again, like a typical man, he’d never asked. He just did, regardless of feelings or even knowing if he’d have women willing to work in his place. A 'good, fair deal.’ Ha! He had no idea what kind of labor went into sex work - not just the physical, but the emotional, too - his version of a fair deal was likely far less fair than he thought. And so his ignorance struck her to the core, fostering a grudge she still wore on her shoulders.  

Despite all this, it would be rude not to show up. Especially as its being held in her living room.

As the first couple of people show up, Lily slips in from the back room, dressed in black. She doesn’t say much of anything, just takes a quiet seat and contemplates what it must be like to die here, to leave everyone on Earth behind and just… disappear into thin air. No one will remember them after a couple of decades. They will be lost ot the annals of time.

How long before the people here begin to forget him?

merry of soul, she sailed on a day
over the sea to Skye
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Change author:

NAHHHHH.

Edy didn't believe it for a fucking heartbeat. Mostly because that walking cock was too full of himself to actually die. Death meant wrinkles and decomposition and being forgotten and there was no way sir suck-me-off-behind-the-bar was ever gonna let himself go out like that. If he was really dead, there'd be fireworks made of his ashes or some such nonsense. But a burial? Fuck off.

Striding in wearing absolutely nothing funeral-appropriate, Edy saw the oh-so pretty woman from the backroom of this church. Batting her eyes at her for a moment (this shit wasn't real after all), Edy looked at the old man.

"Hi, I'm Edy. Bastien said I could have all his outfits and stuff, to cut up and make outfits for some of the pigs and goats, so..." The not-teenager said far too loudly, as if trying to speak to someone who was in the backroom. That's where she figured Bastien was after all. She also figured nothing would make him scream and stomp his feet like the thought of all his oh-so pretty things on the backs and snoots of farm animals in the mud.

Edrei
You know I talk too much
Honey, come put your lips on mine and shut me up
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Bastien was surprised when the first person to arrive was Remi. He had known the kid well, he guessed, he had been among the first he'd met here, but they'd always had a slightly awkward relationship. One where Bastien mostly dragged Remi along into things whether he wanted to be in them or not, and he spent 95% of their time together trying to cajole Remi into wearing sparkly underwear or get laid. Still, he was touched by the man's promptness and well wishes and nodded appreciatively, motioning for him to sit down.

Next was Rexanna, and the sight of her looking sad dressed in dark colours, the picture of grief...it pulled at his heart. He made a mental note to take her aside later, to explain, to tell her that they could still explore together. That he wanted nothing more.

Then Lily, who just came in and quietly sat. Bastien nodded towards her, wishing he'd had a better chance to know her when he'd still been 'alive'. Ah well, he supposed there would always be time after his inevitable resurrection.

Edy's entrance had been expected and just as he thought, she came up with jokes and smiles. He kept his face straight and solemn with actor's practice of years and lifted his head slightly as if considering her for the first time. "Did he...? I didn't know the animals needed outfits. But if that is the case...you can find his things in his home. But let us not take a man's goods before he's even been remembered. Please, sit."

Bastien
It's quite a sunset
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Recognizing Rex, Lily, and Edy, the alchemist smiled to them each in turn. He looked horrified at the Launceleyn's reaction, inhaling a breath and looking towards the old man to see what his reaction would be. He met the young woman with a temperance that was surprising, and as he bayed them all take their seats, Remi glanced at Edy out of the corner of his eye to see if she'd obey or not.

"I...I did not even know, until I saw the notice." Remi whispered to Rexanna looking both concerned and confused. "I..he was in the bar. I did not even know he had left, or was planning on leaving."

remi
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 16 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
Lily
sing me a song of a lass that is gone
She’s really just here to keep an eye on things and make sure nothing gets out of hand. Sure, let them have a funeral, let words be said, let them mourn or drink and be merry - whatever they want to do. But then they will leave and the ‘Church of Safrin’ will be closed for good.

Unfortunately, she can’t contain a little snort-laugh at the black teenager’s comment, so she turns her head away. It’s probably very audible to everyone else as there aren’t many bodies to absorb the sound. If only the girl were right about Bastien hiding away. Alas, the only one in the back room is herself. At least they’re going to begin, soon, or so it seems. She turns around in her chair to see if anyone else is coming in, and at the sight of a closed door, she gestures to Jed to start whatever ceremony he had in mind.

The sooner they get this over with, the better.

merry of soul, she sailed on a day
over the sea to Skye
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Why?" Edy protests immediately, hands going to her hips as she raises a confrontational brow. "It isn't like he's around to worry about it, and besides, I'll remember him best when I'm cutting up all his nice things—" This latter sentiment was yelled slightly, Edy still under the impression that Bastien was going to burst out of the woodwork at any moment.

When he didn't, the teenager merely crinkled her nose and gave the old man a once over. "This is a pretty boring funeral y'know. Where's the booze? The naked babes? All the weird Safrin star-shit?"

Edrei
You know I talk too much
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

Bastien kept his eyes fixed flatly on Edy, showing no hint of the amusement and sadness in his real soul. Did she really care so much as to act out like this? He knew her, knew she only did this because she was trying to desperately prove he was still there - and of course, he was, but not in the way she suspected.

"Again. Let us not talk of destroying a man's things when he is recently gone from us. The funeral is as Safrin requested it and how Bastien wanted it, so please. Sit. Let us begin." He implored of her, motioning to a seat and rising ever so slightly so he could be above her, though it hurt his now aged back.

Bastien
It's quite a sunset
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
i am your friend, a soul for your soul.
home. sun or water, here or away —
While everyone seemed to bicker, Rexanna stuck close to Remi as her gaze slipped from Edrei to Jedidiah and back again – only pausing now and then to see Lily among them all, silent much like she. But as Remi leaned in to whisper to her, her head swiveled to him when she nodded in response. “Last I saw him, he was with me.” She hummed to Remi with a small solemn smile, though she was confused as well. They had spent one of the nights together, in a small closet he had fixed up for her that was kind and generous – had allowed her to sleep beside him and steal a few kisses without it turning into more.

Her head swiveled back to Jedidiah before she leaned in to speak to Remi once more. “I would have tried to convince him to stay had I known.” She offered quietly, that hum in her voice still there, adding that flirtatious tone to everything she said. But she nodded, none the less in response to Jedidah to sit and have the funeral. She offered a small smile to Remi before taking a seat, crossing one leg over the other and folding her arms lightly in her lap as she looked to see what was happening next.
—we are a lighthouse,
we leave and we stay.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:

Edy starred at the old man for a moment, still waiting for Bastien to appear.

"Nah." She concluded with a shrug after a moment. "I'm sure Bastien would understand." Edy added with a casual shrug. She was still entirely unconvinced about all of this..and yet...yet she thought her probing would definitely be enough to get the man to appear.

He wasn't actually dead, was he? Fuck it. No, he couldn't be. He was too fucking vain to die (how those two things were related is hard to say. shush). With an aggressively teenaged shrug, Edy left the little church, not bothering to try and silence the door on her way out.

Edrei
You know I talk too much
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Gently Remi leaned towards Rex, nudging her affectionately with his shoulder. "We all would have convinced him not to go, had we known. I just..." Sighing softly, he shrugged. "I just...I wish I knew when this happened. Or why. It does not seem like Bastien to risk his life in such a..." Not wanting to speak ill of the dead, Remi bit the inside of his lip and glanced towards Jed with a humbling smile. "Well. In such a private way, shall we say." He concluded trying to be delicate.

remi