[se] bend themselves back into wings
for Ronin
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Lena
hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
For the next few days, Lena was lost.

The absence of the Tower loomed like a blank canvas across the horizon. They had cremated her sister upon a pyre, where the fire burned white hot and black all at once, and she could still taste the way the air burned against her when she tried to reach out and touch it. Her home was gone, and there was a cot in the Celestine where she’d curled up beside one of the unicorns’ enclosures, as if they could relieve her of anything (they couldn’t), and cried until she was empty.

She journeyed down the plaza simply by way of necessity now, head down, basket on her arm, winding along roads newly forged by debris and rubble, staring out into the void like so many of the other citizens. Where a smile had always bloomed, now there were just residual lines, very muffled, quiet, thank yous to other patrons and merchants, all trying to get by. Because now, she truly didn’t know what to do.
and sings the tune without the words
and never stops at all
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081

Wink wonk, ignoring timelines, we'll just keep the leadership nonsense out of this. Ronin isn't out by choice, per say. He's been sent out by his son to fetch candies for Ludo. Or was it mischievous spirits? Honestly, he doesn't know, and it's not a Leafchange tradition he's ever heard of before, so he's half convinced that Mateo just wants the sweets for himself.

Regardless, with a cool breeze ruffling through his hair and the collar turned up on his coat, he meanders through the market stalls and towards the candy shop on the corner of the Plaza, about to walk inside when he spots a familiar face. "Lena." Her name leaves his lips before he can stop himself, Ronin falling to a halt to turn towards her. "Hey. It's good to see you out."

RONIN
if there's one thing i'm good at, it's surviving
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
The voice drew her face upward, mouth rounding into one of gentle surprise, eyes widening slightly, before going downcast again. “Ronin,” and she nodded, uncertain of what to do or say. The normal courtesies seemed very foolish and naïve – a brief how are you not quite worthy of whatever had occurred. None of them were well. “Are you doing all right?” She murmured instead, shifting some of the bandages now nestled in her basket by way of restlessness.

As for the comment, she shrugged. Maybe she shouldn’t be. She was half-inclined to curl and coil up in mourning again, but it wouldn’t do much good other than wallowing, and the fresh air would be beneficial. By way of explanation, she drew a false, forced smile, stretching to the corners of her lips. “I needed to restock supplies.” Eventually, her gaze managed to flick at the sign, at the shop nearby, and were these happier moments and less-strained day, she might’ve laughed. Instead, it was the same grin full of pretenses, one she wore like armor now. “Looking for something in particular?”
and never stops at all
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"As well as I can be," Ronin confirms with a weak smile, knowing just as well as Lena that no one is good. They are all just... going, still, in whatever capacity they're able. "Busy, though. I don't imagine that will change for the foreseeable future, either." Especially not if Mateo had anything to do it, Stormbreak aside. Restocking supplies seems as good a reason to be out as any, and the Huntsman nods down at the basket she holds.

He doesn't expect her to notice the trajectory of his travels, and when she does, his smile grows a little more genuine, a bit more lopsided. "Ah, it's not for me." Lies - obviously he was always going to get something for himself. "Mateo has been telling me about a Leafchange tradition - leaving candies out on the doorstep for passing spirits to enjoy during the night. Ludo, too, if you're lucky. I promised I would pick him some up. Do you want to go in with me? I can get you some as well, but if they don't make it to the doorstep, I'll understand."

RONIN
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
There was much to do – that she understood, just with the vacant outline where the Tower used to be. She nodded, her eyes going in that direction out of habit, as if looking for something that would no longer be there. “Let me know if you need help.” Distractions were often better served with some purpose in mind. Perhaps she could assist where Sera might have done so – though clearly lacking in her sister’s skills.

Her head tilted vaguely at the semblances of treats and candies, the inklings of an actual smile managing to find their way to her features. Out of childlike curiosity, she glanced in the window shop – an array on display already enticing. “It always likes to change things up,” in regards to Ludo, she allowed one light round of laughter – hadn’t they made dolls in the past?

Her stare rounded back up to him though, denial immediately on her tongue, except she didn’t have a very good excuse, rather than not wanting to impose. It took a moment of contemplation, before she nodded. “Sure. It’s been a long time since I had something sweet. Does Mateo have a favorite kind?”
and never stops at all
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"Thank you," Ronin murmurs, and he might, one of these days. For now, keeping all the strings together himself was a challenge, let alone trying to keep track of multiple channels of ideas and progress. Still, he'd probably have to loosen his grip on control at some point, lest it start to become problematic. As much as he might like to, Ronin can't be in Stormbreak every minute of every day.

Grinning at that - Ludo does like to change things up - Ronin joins Lena at the window to look at the treats on display. "It has? Well, allow me to treat you to whatever takes your fancy. Mateo is twelve, so he likes everything," he says, pushing open the door (a bell cheerfully jangles overhead) and holding it open for her to step through. "I do think he has a penchant for gummy worms, though."

RONIN
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Following after Ronin, clutching her basket in both hands to keep herself from flinging up and down the aisles in some unrestrained glee, the young Caretaker nodded. “Thank you.” She didn’t deserve it, and had half an inclination to say so, but figured it would only start a very brief and silly quarrel.

So instead, she wove her way around the display, heading around to another path lined up in chocolate. The varieties made her stand and study them in earnest perusal, sizing up the qualities and quantities, eyes pinpointing over an impressive array of macarons. “Has he tried the gummy landsharks?” She replied with the hint of a smile again, before meandering over to a section of cookies. “Not getting anything for yourself?”
and never stops at all
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

Ronin - naturally - follows Lena up and down the aisles, and though neither says it to the other, the Huntsman also has to stop himself from skipping through and pulling every kind of candy into the basket he picks up. Indeed, he has already selected some chocolate coins, some truffles, and some bonbons, and that's before Lena even mentions the gummies.

"Gummy landsharks?" He grins. "I think he - and by he I mean we - would love those. Where are they?" Ronin is still looking around as he joins her by the cookies, hefting up the basket for her to see. "These are absolutely all for Ludo," he says with complete seriousness. "What are you thinking of getting?"

RONIN
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
She hadn’t put anything in her basket yet – one of those precise individuals when it came to making decisions. But, eyeing his collection, the notions of indulgence rankled along her edges, and she began to pull a variety from the shelves. “Over there,” and she pointed towards the gummy section, lined with peach rings, promises sour confections, and of course, the landsharks, in all manner of vibrant, enticing colors.

Another smile graced her features, and a laugh slipped through on the seriousness as she glanced into his wares. “Of course. Ludo will be delighted.” But by the time he’d returned amidst the current aisle, she’d placed a handful of other assortments into her yield, pondering if it was too much. “I have lemon drops and some of the truffles…I'm sure the spirits will appreciate those...,” but her voice faded off, staring over the cookies. “I’d like some peanut butter ones. Or maybe the ginger snaps?” Then she glanced back up to him, at a loss.
and never stops at all
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"Oooo..." Ronin is drawn towards the gummy section like any kid in a candy store, and while Lena makes her own choices, the Huntsman busies himself collecting an entire shiver of sharks, choosing his colours carefully and folding the paper bag once he's satisfied, setting that down into the basket as well. "Ludo ought to be pleased," he agrees, "because this is going to be quite a feast."

Rejoining the girl at her chosen aisle, Ronin nods approvingly at the items she has chosen for her own self spirits, tilting his head as if he doesn't really understand her conundrum. "How about..." Reaching out, the Huntsman gently smacks both peanut butter and ginger snaps into Lena's basket. "There. Perfect. Anything else you feel like getting, or are we ready?"

RONIN
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
A feast indeed; her eyes gliding back to her growing selection, not having spoiled herself so immensely since she and Sera were children – gluttonous to the core, thriving on sweets and restless with unabashed energy.

“Oh. I suppose that solves it,” she snorted as he simply placed both in the basket – and she peered downward at the peanut butter and ginger snaps with obvious delight, if not a small amount of regret. Didn’t it feel like too much? Should she be feeling guilty about desserts?

Taking a breath, surveying the shop with another singular glance-over, and trying not to be enticed into another direction, she gave a brief nod. “Ready. I fear I wouldn’t leave if given more time.”
and never stops at all
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"I am quite good at solving problems," Ronin agrees, tipping a wink Lena's way and turning to survey the shop as well, as if to decide if his own cravings are sated (and that Mateo has a decent haul for Ludo, of course). When she confirms that she's done, he nods in agreement. "Probably wise, because I would be exactly the same," he says, reaching out to collect up her basket - it's his treat, after all - to take them both to the counter.

Ronin's bartering is seamless and modest, given that he could probably just walk out with the candies in his position. Agreeing to provide some work for the owner in exchange, he collects their haul in two paper bags, offering one out to Lena. "There," he announces, stepping out of the shop to the cheerful ringing of the bell above the door. "Now, make sure at least some of these make it to the doorstep for the spirits." He's telling Lena, but really it's a warning to himself.

RONIN
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
The transaction was swift, and she uttered another portion of gratitude as the bag was granted and given. “Thank you again.” Because he didn’t have to buy her sweets, but she was obliging and gracious just the same. “Of course. And you’ll do the same?” She winked, permitting another smile that might’ve reached her eyes this time. “I meant what I said. Let me know if you need any help.” Considering the weight of Stormbreak and all these delicate, precarious balances.

Then they could break off, down other paths – hers would be to the Celestine, where her cot rested for now. She offered a wave, other hand clutched over the goodies. “Take care of yourself too. And you can tell Mateo some treeflits came in this morning, if he’s interested.”

And from there, she could walk her way back to the gardens, leaving several of the ginger snaps, lemon drops, and truffles outside the wake, for no one but the spirits and Ludo itself.
and never stops at all
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"I'll do the same. I'll make sure to separate out some treats for Ludo and the spirits before I even show Mateo what we got," Ronin says with a chuckle, knowing that he's just as likely as his son to forget why he'd been sent to the candy shop in the first place. His smile softens a touch as Lena speaks, the Huntsman nodding to her gratefully. "I'll be sure to let you know," he says. "And even if not for any help, I'll come by the Celestine soon regardless to say hello."

He likely wouldn't be alone if what she says about the treeflits comes into it, Ronin promising to pass the message along and waving as they go their separate ways. For the Huntsman's part, he heads to the dormitories in the Collegium, sharing his horde with Mateo. They leave a selection of treats outside his dormitory door, and more outside the shop in the Pacifist Plaza. No gummy landsharks though - those are all for father and son.

~FIN

RONIN