when my time is up, have I done enough
Jata
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
W E S S E X
He’s got to know by now, Wessex thinks, as she teleports from the Voice straight to the Grounds.

Nate hasn’t come back yet. Nate won’t come back for a while - it at all. Nate had been stupid, and he was her “little” brother and she was supposed to make sure he made it back alive.

And now, she has to perform the age-old duty of informing the next of kin; if Wessex were able to get nauseous and physically nervous, she might with this one. It might actually be worse than whatever Isla will be dealing out later. The Wraith appears in King’s End, still vaguely ash-colored and bearing signs of the destruction she’d wrought. She’s a grim sight, if there ever was one, and rather than shout for the Flood to come and find her, she shifts to give herself fox ears and calls out, Sunjata? Are you around?
The Wraith

Code blatantly stolen from the fantastical, wonderful Odd
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
the flood
but am i too late? or hearts to your spades,
if i don't suit you? then what do you want from me?
Those that had gone to Stormbreak have come back in spurts. All except for two. And he tries hard not to think about it, trying to keep the status quo as it were. Trying to keep the twins content and happy – though he will admit it’s much more difficult without Nate to bear the brunt in the middle of the night. He’s tired, of course, but the absence of Nate and his companions is stark. The room is cold where it’s otherwise warm and he’s unsure how long it’ll be until it ends.

Surely they just went to fuck something up and came back, right? The Order was weak, Sunjata knew that. But it still doesn’t prepare him as he moves from grabbing a fresh set of clothes for the twins from the markets (after the last pairs had started wearing out) to hear the Attuned speak that’s absolutely Wessex’s voice calling to him.

He gathers his things, makes his trades, and the demigod follows the trail back to Wessex, brows already pinched a moment. “Hey.” She looks like hell but he doesn’t want to think about the rest. Instead, he asks about the elephant in the room. “Where’s Nate?” Because if she were back, he'd have to be around. Right? Right?
so we're not written in the stars,
but i'm okay with that. i'm okay with anything
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
W E S S E X
She’d cried for Clem - her and Nate, side by side as they’d burned him on a pyre. Just the two of them. She’d cried a bit for Rex, too, though that loss was a bit more selfish that the loss of Clem. The rest? Wessex had clenched her jaw, closed her eyes, and absorbed the loss and gone on with what she had to do because war is loss. War is pain. War is, apparently, telling someone who’s becoming a friend that she couldn’t save his husband.

Her lip unexpectedly trembles and she clenches down, hard. “Ronin got him,” she says quietly, crossing her arms and hugging herself. “He killed him and then the Tower collapsed and buried his body and I had to leave it… I’m sorry, Sunjata, I -” Gods, it’s a good thing there’s a tall rock close by, because the Wraith sinks down to it and holds her head in her hands. “I couldn’t get Ronin to engage with me. He targeted Nate and Nate wouldn’t leave, and I told him to, I did. But it wasn’t enough to overcome wanting to beat the shit out of the Huntsman.

So now she’s here, empty-handed, distraught, but not quite in tears, and she has no idea how to support the Flood should he take the news badly. And she doesn’t know anyone who would take this kind of news well.
The Wraith

Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
He’s used to Wessex’s general composure – only seeing it break twice. The first when she’d raged against him for his choice in gods, with the birth of Kamaria and Nate’s departure. The way he was told to choose sides. The second, when he’d given her his dragon shift and went flying, showing her what it was like to drift so far above the world that everyone looked like ants.

What he isn’t used to is seeing her composure start to fracture like this.

Sunjata isn’t Ascended, he still needs to breathe, (breath that hitches, breath that burns), his eyes glued to the Wraith the second the words leave her lips. Ronin got him.What?” He says, his accent deepening, his words a quiet interjection between the information she dumps, as she sinks down to the rock and Sunjata’s left standing, eyes never leaving her but it’s clear that he isn’t quite there.

It's as if he’s looking through her. He doesn’t know whether he should be trying to comfort her, if he should be chastising himself for not realizing that Ronin would likely be there, chastising himself for knowing that the second the Huntsman arrived that there’d be little to no hope of getting Nate to stop unless one of them went down.

And it was Nate. His Nate. The moon to his sun, the winter to his summer. He swallows, brows pinching. “He’s…” He cuts himself off, jaw clamping shut with an audible click, the muscles feathering in his jaw are the only giveaway that he’s attempting to say something else. It’s a strange, almost unnatural type of click back into place as his gears work, as anger and rage takes over for the sorrow. There’s time for that later. There’s always time for that, later.

Twenty-five years of it and counting, to be exact. “He wouldn’t have left. Not… Not with Ronin there. Not after everything with me.” He shakes his head, works his jaw a second longer, trying to quell himself internally but it’s so incredibly difficult without his attuned shifts slipping out to relieve some of the pressure.

Instead, the dragon inside him rages and roars. “I can’t leave him. I won’t leave him, Wessex. You have to know that.” It’s a statement. Already the plans are moving in his mind, a sitter for his twins, (twins that are going to wonder just why one of their fathers wasn’t coming back for a long time, if ever), but already it feels daunting, to try and face Ronin and Remi after it all, to show up and demand that they give his husband back to him.

Honestly, he’d likely go down trying to get him back if it came down to it. “Fuck!” He curses, needed a way to get out the pent up horror that crawls like ink through his veins. He moves now, finally not a statue as he turns halfway from where Wessex sits on the rock, his lightning scarred hand rising to his face, pinching the bridge of his nose, trailing down to pull over his scarred cheek and lips, a sharp exhale. “Gods-fucking-damnit.” He mutters behind his hand, eyes focusing on a rock, something nondescript as he tries to run through his plans. “I’m leaving. I-I have to get him. I have to.” (I have to, i have to, ihaveto, ihaveto.)

He already knows better than to get to Stormbreak as his dragon shift, but he hopes that nobody would be surprised to hear the lightning crackle through the sky in his departure over the barrier.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
To be honest, Wessex hadn’t been thinking about why Nate hadn’t left so much as cursing him for not listening. His feelings on bullying didn’t explain it all, in her humble opinion, but now that Sunjata mentions the past and his own connection to Ronin, she remembers and it becomes more clear. “Right. Of course not,” she says quietly, refraining from pointing out what she perceives an error in the dead demigod’s thinking: the perks of living versus… not.

“I’m not asking you to leave him, Sunjata, not at all, I -” Pulling up from her bit of wallowing and indulgence in emotions, she’s interrupted by the Flood and falls silent. What she feels doesn’t matter much right now and some kind of catharsis and caring has already been enabled by the Voice. She needs to be there for him. Pushing herself into a standing position, the Wraith tries to reach for him in… consolation? Comfort? Simply to be there? “I’m sorry, Sunjata. I’m so, sorry. I don’t have an answer or a plan yet, but the Voice -”

Except she isn’t able to get it all out. The Flood reacts. That’s what he does, but as soon as he declares his intentions, she’s trying to head him off. “Wait, we need to be on the same page - you don’t even know where he is!”

And then she’s after him, shifting into her own flying beast, and she’s in pursuit, trying to physically wrangle the dragon from the skies.
The Wraith

Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
Sunjata, though it shouldn’t come as a surprise, is hit or miss when it comes to touch. He’s touch focused on his terms, allowing it on his terms, and to be as upset as he is right now? It feels like everything is spiraling out of his control. And the last thing Sunjata wants to be when he feels like this is coddled and trapped. Even if he doesn’t head to Stormbreak immediately, he needs to get out of the alley, out of the grounds to the expanse of the sky, to get away from everything. But gods, if it isn’t a knee jerk reaction.

He doesn’t make it very far, because somewhere in that torn mind of his, he can be rational. Truthfully all he needed to know was that Nate was in Stormbreak. He’d find him. He’d always find him.

But the metal bird collides with the plated armor of the dragon and the weight throws him off, given that he hasn’t gotten too far off the ground. His jaws snap, loud audible clacking that get muffled into some draconic whimper as he crashes right into the ground of the fields, wings flattened and limbs tangled underneath. He can’t talk to Wessex like this, but there’s two different parts of himself at war within.

The dragon, furious that someone has messed with his ‘treasure’, and the broken Flood of Korofi that’s terrified to have to be alone again. He doesn’t even know Nate’s immortal, he doesn’t know whether or not he’d wake up eventually. He doesn’t know what he’ll see when he lays eyes on him. Have they mutilated him, left him alone, peeled the rubble off to burn and explode him, would he even have anything left to take back?

He shifts, back into himself, among the cool grasses that burn as they touch his warm face, but he makes no effort to move just yet, something torn beneath him that has him still as every predator in his soul. “Tell me.And then let me go.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
Bird!Wessex doesn’t mean to hurt Sunjata - and if she does, it’s entirely by accident - because the demigod is more wrecking ball than human these days. She goes tumbling after him, narrowly avoiding slicing through tender membrane with her bladed edges, shifting as soon as it’s obvious that the Flood got the message. Impulses will be the death of them and information is key.

Wessex crawls on her hands and knees towards the prone giant; there’s something so.. devastatingly vulnerable about his stillness there, in the grass. He isn’t supposed to be that still - that belongs to the Ascended. It’s like the life is seeping out of him and in to the ground, whatever wonderful additions Nate made to Sunjata’s life is leaving, and taking everything it can with it.

Which is silly, because the Lone Ranger will be back. Wessex falls back into crouch, watching Sunjata closely. “He’s in Trinity Temple,” she says, “or at least his body is. The Voice said he’ll only be gone for a season or so, and then she can bring him back, with or without his original body. Pausing here, Wessex looks down, away from him, finding whatever is lying at her feet verrrry interesting. “And I think you need to consider that you may not get his body back. Or that… it may be necessary to... destroy it."

Let's go wtih things Wessex never thought she'd say for $1000, Alex.
The Wraith

Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
He thinks, for a moment after Wessex’s down on the ground with him, that he might be able to shift again and take off – run through the undergrowth, to go and go and go. But his muscles are tense where he waits, stilled, but similar to a cornered beast. He wants out, he needs to get this out of him before he explodes with it, before it turns into a black hole within him and sends him spiraling down alongside it.

So he works his jaw, counts to ten. On the count of three he moves finally, pushing himself up into a sitting position, eyes no longer on Wessex as he stares off into the distance, the direction he’s pretty sure Nate was in. And on the count of seven, he’s managed to take a breath to try and clear the rage from his mind, though it still thrums in the heavy pulse of his heart, in the flush of anger to his skin.

With or without?” He asks, his voice an odd combination of deadened yet confused. Was it the tower collapse that had done something to his body? Or something more malicious, something about leaving the Ascended’s body in Stormbreak that makes Sunjata’s skin crawl. It makes his mind pick up the mantra of how fucking dare they touch him. Followed shortly by;

He’s mine, he’s mine, he’s mine.

The words aren’t easy to swallow. The fact that he might not be able to get his body back, his head finally snapping to attention to look at Wessex, brows furrowed and a fire in his heart. “Watch me.I want to see them try to keep him from me.

Belatedly, though, and perhaps a bit dumbly as he tries to catch up, his mind spinning a million miles a minute, he frowns deeply, lips twisting into an edge of a sneer. There’s the dawning realization that he’s not dead dead, but it doesn’t help when it feels like its an endless dark abyss.

Sure Nate had left when the Kamaria ordeal had happened. But he’d known Nate was fine. He’d known he needed time. Now, though? Now all he had was the shell of a body where his husband used to be.

And he isn’t okay with that. “How the fuck would we destroy it?Why would I want to destroy it?Am I supposed to just, be okay with this?” His voice is raising, unintentionally, the Flood losing grip with himself over the sudden onslaught of thoughts and fears and worries. “Because I'm sorry, but I'm not.I need him.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
It appears that Sunjata’s ears are where his head and heart are - with Nate - and not with her, here, where she’s trying to toe the line between being empathetic and understanding and deliver the shittiest of shitty information. “No, you fucking idiot,” she sighs, because at no point had she said anything about being okay with what’s happened. “Be as upset as need to be, but I’m trying to keep you from barging in there and getting killed too” Shaking her head, she tries to keep her voice from matching his. “For all the help you gave us, and a second dragon there, now - no telling what they’d do if they felt threated again. And I’m guessing that you aren’t as a strong as Nate and you won’t be coming back.”

Even if there’s a roaring dragon in his chest. Even if every bit of his body is on fire and he wants to continue to burn down Stormbreak. Even if he wants to take on Ronin - even if all of that is happening at once, he needs to understand that whatever course he’s on is pure stupidity. He might have a different relationship with Remi and Ronin that she does, but her mind - it automatically goes to the worst case scenario, and that’s a reactive pair men.

“If not for yourself, then for the kids.”

Laying on the guilt as thick as a new york deli slathers cream cheese on a bagel, the Wraith isn’t above playing a little dirty. “Now, look - the Voice can bring his consciousness back without his old body. I don’t know the specifics… and she could explode the body, if need be. But she won’t do that kind of thing without your permission. I’m letting you know your options. And that… that maybe playing dumb about his immortality will be in your favor.”

Naturally, she doesn’t know that the Flood was unaware of Nate’s immortality, she just assumes he was so wrapping up in emotion that he didn’t remember. Or that it didn’t matter. Grief hits them all differently.
The Wraith

Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
I wasn’t going to go as a fucking dragon, Wessex.” He snaps back at her, his gaze narrowing a fraction as if to dare her to call him an idiot again – not right now. “I’m not fucking stupid.” If he knew the term jesus christ, there’d likely be a lot more of those thrown in there. But he doesn’t, so he makes it work. No, he planned to get the rage of the dragon out as early as possible before shifting to something… Kinder.

The Pegasus maybe.

He’s almost, almost calmed himself down enough to be reasonable before she brings up the twins and he frowns deeply, shaking his head a smidge aggressively, before he pushes himself up off the ground to stand just so that he can try and feel like he isn’t trapped – even if he is. Even if she has all the capability in the world to cage him if she wanted to, if she didn’t trust him to not barge into Stormbreak.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t know about his immortality.” He snaps again, finding it difficult to regulate his emotions, finding the rage barreling in his chest turn into a stone that weighs him down and down and down. “So you want me to talk to her? Or what? What’s the plan?'Give me something I can do if you're not letting me do anything.'

He needs direction or his spiral of failure will grow and grow and grow and the Flood has had far too many of those to be able to manage one more on his plate. It’s overflowed enough as is, and the heavier it gets the more he breaks.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
Gods. She’s made a mess of it again.

The demigod runs a hand down her face, and when her eyes come out the other side, she’s wincing. Not in pain, but in regret. “I’m sorry. That was shitty. From here it looked you might, fly all the way to Stormbreak again, so -” And with no way to get in touch with him and keep him here, she had to act first, ask questions later.

And as Sunjata reveals that that he didn’t know Nate was immortal, her eyes close and her lips press in to a thin line. “Okay. Then I’m doubly sorry. I thought you knew.” And if he knew, and went anyway, then…

Well, it doesn’t matter. The Flood doesn’t seem to be trying to go anywhere right now, so the Wraith relaxes. “Isla is next on my list. She’s more level-headed and probably has a better relationship with them than both of us, so - let’s see what she thinks. And if you want to talk to the Voice about specifics, then yes, I’m sure she’ll be able to answer your questions. But that’s up to you. If you don’t want to entertain the option, then - ” She shrugs and makes a vague ‘no’ gesture with her hand. It’s a non-starter. For all that Wessex has barreled through delivering this news poorly, she does believe that Sunjata should be the one to decide.

“And, look. If you want to take your anger out on me, that's fine. I’ll remove my upgrade and you be hit with any splashback.” Her and already strays to where she upgrade integrates with her system, stopping just short of grasping it to pull it out.
The Wraith

Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
the flood
He takes the apology and manages to even himself out with it – knowing deep down that Wessex’s goal wasn’t to try and prevent him from going fully, just that there needed to be a plan for it. So he sighs, lifts his hands to run alongside his face, tugging and pulling at the scar alongside his cheek before he settles down just enough to keep from shouting, to keep from letting the anger of the dragon spill out of his chest from his lips.

His hands lift higher, raking through his dark curls before settling on the back of his neck, his jaw working and teeth grinding together. “So the plan is to just… Wait?” There’s something tender in his voice as if that’s not the thing he wants to do – but already knowing it was likely for the best anyway. So instead, he chews the inside of his cheek, starts to imagine what kind of terrible things Stormbreak would try to do to his husband’s body, before he cuts those thoughts off rather quickly.

He concedes, it’s evident in how he carries himself, how the tension in his shoulders shifts toward something a hint more hunched, as if his chest has suddenly bloomed tightly and its painful for him to stand up fully. “I’m not… That’s not—” he cuts himself off, lips twisting as he turns away from Wessex, frowning deeply as he fights with himself. “I need a fucking drink is what I need.” Because rather than get into more shit if he's supposed to wait, he doesn't have to feel the rest of the world weighing down on him at the same time.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
It so clearly isn’t what he wants to hear and it so clearly isn’t what Wessex wants to confirm. But she has to, even as she makes another apologetic grimace and nods slowly. “I think that’s… the best option. Just for a little bit.” Every headlong rush has ended in disaster - but when they make plans - that’s when people tend to stay alive. That’s what Wessex is taking from all of this - that an they need ranged weapons.

Another apology is on the edge of her tongue, but the way the Flood folds in on himself tells her that anything else she has to say probably won’t matter much. It won’t bring Nate back and it won’t change the situation. In her mind, she’s been genuine and it was probably obvious, so what is left? Wessex’s hand falls back to her side and she nods an understanding. “If it affected me at all, I’d want to do that too.” Instead? She just wants her bed and the quite of the Barracks.

But first - Isla.

“I’ll leave you to it, then, while I find Isla. And then we’ll figure it out. Promise.” There’s a twinge of guilt that follows her declaration to leave him to his own devices for a bit - but grief is funny and she knows if she were him, she’d like some privacy.

She moves to pass him, reaching out to gently touch his shoulder, with one last murmur before she goes. “If you need anything - just let me know. I’ll be there.” It’s the least she can do for her brother's temporary widow.

{FIN}
The Wraith