{SEASONAL EVENT} Dirty Feathers, Better Weather
Nat haniel Sterling
Hunter

Age: 37 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 9 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: kae Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nate !
Rexanna’s version of Deepfrost sounds pleasant. Darkness and fear replaced by light and laughter, gifts and dancing. It sounds like a happy place, free of the burdens the denizens of Caido must carry. Nathaniel tilts his head, though, and echoes, “Servant?” back at her, curious. “Your society had… castes?” He is not particularly familiar with such a thing. Here in the barrier they exist in loosely organized fashion, always have. Maybe Nathaniel has heard Outlanders talk of different customs, but he fails to understand them. How some people could fancy themselves innately more deserving. Were there wealth in Caido, Nathaniel thinks they would share it.

Well, maybe not with Outlanders.

He turns away at her comment, one hand rubbing the back of his neck. Not sure they deserve it — when the choices are survival or violent death, are the survivors all that strong? “Well,” Nathaniel says, “We could try celebrating your way, if you want. You can come in. It’s… clean. I think I still have a bottle to share…” He glances back over his shoulder at her, not sure if he wants her to accept or decline. If she does accept, she will find the cabin a snug but comfortable space beyond, evidence of Nathaniel’s work lining most surfaces in the form of furs stretching or waiting to be sold, a few plants still clustered by the windows.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
She listened to his surprise, his head tilting slightly as he asks her if they had castles. She nodded, a small smile across her face. “Yes, giant ones. Mine specifically had beautiful ivory walls.” She offered, refusing to bring up the fact that her castle had been grand at one time – a time before greed had brutalized it beyond repair. “I was the servant for the royals, but I mostly stayed away from them. I’d collect their bedding and what not, bring them to the wash and then make their beds and clean their rooms.” She added, expanding on her job duties before she was thrust into an unwanted spotlight.

Before she had met the man that would change the course of her life forever.

Had Rexanna had a choice in the matter, she would have much preferred being an unknown servant until the day she died, but things hadn’t quite worked out that way. Still, she watched as Nathaniel turned away from her and spoke. His offer of celebrating her way so heartwarming to her, that she couldn’t help the wide grin that spread across her face even if he couldn’t entirely see it. She did spot him glance over his shoulder at her, only to have her nod at him a bit fervently. “That sounds lovely!

She followed him into the home, surprised at the shift in direction with him but appreciating it all the same. Perhaps her duty in helping him and accomplishing the task of cleaning for that day without wanting a gift for her time had been enough for him. Rexanna wasn’t hard to please or make a friend with – she tried to not step on toes in any way she could. “Your home is wonderful.” She remarked, looking around and feeling quite comfortable. It was a home, a place lived in and for quite some time. It certainly looked better than the house she was currently trying to fix up, with its tattered curtains and paint that had chipped from the walls.

She paused along where she imagined Nathaniel would want to share the bottle he had mentioned before, looking around again at the furs and the plants with a small content smile on her face. “What do you do?” She questioned, turning to him with curious eyes. Was he a fur trader? A merchant of sorts? Or did he hunt?
I think we deserve a soft epilogue, my love,
we are good people and we've suffered enough.
Nat haniel Sterling
Hunter

Age: 37 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 9 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: kae Offline
Change author:
Nate !
Nathaniel only blinked in response to Rexanna's answer, slightly confused but not enough to clarify. He was much more surprised by the idea of servant castes than he was about castles. They had the remannts of things like castles in Caido — the temple, the spire. But they had no servants. Even if he had a vague idea about what servants did after living near other Outlanders nearly thirty years. Nathaniel just nodded, nothing more to say. The world she left behind sounded much more beautiful than his own, though perhaps not better. He had never been particularly good at following orders.

She was entirely too excited to be invited in. Nate winced as his back was turned to her. The cabin was nothing like a castle. Very small, rather cramped, everything handmade and a little worn. Nonetheless, Nathaniel retrieved two cups and set them down on the table between himself and Rexanna. She commented on the space while he searched for the alcohol, and Nate answered with a snort of dismissive laughter. "It's enough for me," he responded. "Not a castle." A wry smile, and returned to the table with square bottle holding a clear, amber liquid. Something he'd picked up at the Rathskeller before Longnight. One of several somethings, as Nathaniel considered drunknenness one of the best ways to pass that particular time of year. He poured out the last of the bottle's contents between them and gestured for her to take one. It felt like a paltry offering, like an idiot's attempt at kindness, and he did his best to his his embarrassment by avoiding her eyes. Taking his own cup and downing it in a quick gulp.

He was almost glad for the question. That, at least, had a factual answer. Concrete and useful. "Fur trapping, mostly," Nate answered. "Some farming when it isn't so fucking cold outside.." He set his cup back down on the table. He felt as if he should say something else, or explain something else, but he was at a loss. He'd invited this Outlander into his home and now he had no idea what to do with her.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
She hadn’t realized what he meant when he spoke – just assuming it was some kind of mispronunciation of castle. But as he blinked to her when she responded, she paid it no mind. She had a servants upbringing. Knowing enough to keep you safe, to read and write to pass messages back and forth, but nothing else. And when she had blossomed into her royal heritage, they had only taught her the things she needed to know (what kind of knife to use for butter verses steaks, why one of the high house families were strange and off putting, what things to say and what masks to wear). But she followed him in the home regardless, simply happy to be a part of it all.

It was cozy, a home well lived in, and she appreciated everything about it. As Nathaniel spoke, her eyes landed on him again and she offered him a brilliant grin. “Castle’s are overrated, too open and the drafts are horrible.” She replied with a quiet chuckled laugh. “This is what I imagined a home to look like.” She said after a moment of consideration. Rexanna had never truly lived in a house, until Caido. Before it had been servants quarters, then her room she shared with her husband, then dungeons and cells and hiding in abandoned homes.

Finding a seat at the table, she watched him briefly as he poured out the bottle between the two of them, and she gladly accepted. Raising hers in a small toast with a smile before taking a sip of it and setting it back on the table. One leg crossed over the other as her hand rested on the glass, waiting to hear his answer to her question before taking another sip. He seemed to like that question more than the random ones she had been giving him, trying to get to know him in the hopes of perhaps being a friend to yet another Natural. She nodded in response, chuckling at his mention of the cold temperatures.

What kind of things do you trap the most of? I found a few bits of clothes and furs in the abandoned house that I’m living in now and have been trying to make things with them.” She said after a moment, reaching for the cup to take another sip. “Perhaps the ones I don’t need or have use of I could give to you and you could sell them for something?” She questioned, eyes shifting back to him with a small smile. She had no experience with selling furs, and she didn’t particularly need the things that Nathaniel might need. She felt like a free spirit, bargaining for food and drink and offering small things in return. It’s made it a lot easier with her transmutation magic, able to make blankets softer and cups into jugs. It was usually enough for her.
I think we deserve a soft epilogue, my love,
we are good people and we've suffered enough.