[RQ] Waves of Starlight
For Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3345
Cool guys don't look at explosions, even if they're imaginary
Edmund holds his Mummy's hand as they walk, a small basket in another. Inside his basket, the child holds various jars. Each jar has different stickers and ribbons that have been lovingly placed. Catching stars sounds difficult and Edmund wants to make sure that the stars like their temporary homes.  

Once the water comes into view, Edmund glances up at his mum eagerly, "How do we catch them Mummy?" He wonders if they have to play tag with them. Or if they can just pick the stars up gently. Edmund hopes that picking the stars up doesn't hurt them. They look so much like glass at times, so he hopes they aren't as fragile as they look.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Maeve has a basket of her own, various glass jars and containers for holding the starlight they were supposed t catch. A quiet laugh bubbles out of her, holding onto his hand as they stroll down towards the beach, Aidon trotting along beside them. "We just have to scoop them up in the jars." She explains lightly, giving his hand a gentle squeeze as they come to the waters edge. Maeve releases him, lowering herself down into the sand to pull off her boots. "Take your shoes off, little star. Best not to get them wet." She reminds him, waiting for him to finish before she helps him back up, grabbing one of her jars.

"Alright... Now, we have to be gentle with the stars and say thank you whenever you collect one, okay?" A smile plays on her lips as she unscrews the top of her first jar, carefully dipping it into the water to scoop up the first star reflection in front of her where it shimmers on the water. "Thank you for your gift."
the only heaven I'll be sent to
is when I'm along with you
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Edmund carefully removes is shoes and places them on the bank, making sure to avoid getting sand in them. Shoes full of sand were terrible, almost as bad as sand in his sandwiches. Especially the cucumber ones, that was just a texture nightmare.

As he watches Maeve scoop up the first star, Edmund moves closer to the water. It looks easy enough, so he reaches over and opens up his first jar as well. Biting his lip in concentration the child scoops up a star's reflection. Holding it in his hands, his eyes widen with awe. "Thank you", Edmund whispers before placing it in the jar.

He has to pause for a second and simply look at the jar, trying to process that there's a star in his hands. It's incredible to watch it shine against the glass, still glimmering in confinement, and leaves it Edmund mesmerized.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Maeve screws the top onto her jar, setting it back in the basket, watching her on scoop his hands into the water. He catches the reflection of the star in his hands, cupping it carefully before he deposits it in the jar with a quiet thank you just like she told him to. The Nightshade smiles over at him, taking the jar from his hands and screwing on the lid of that one too, ensuring it won't leak. "Good job, little star." She praises, joining him back in the water, bending to scoop up another in the glass jar.

"Would you like to come with me to give Safrin an offering as a thank you for letting us have access to her stars? I'm sure she would be happy to have another gift from you waiting for her." It was all that he had talked about for days after their visit to her shrine to turn in the last quest.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Bending down and scooping another star, Edmund freezes. His head snaps to meet his Mum's eyes quicker than it probably should. "May I? Please?" Meeting Lady Safrin had been incredible, and he desperately wants to see her again. "What should I make her this time, Mummy? Does she like cookies? Should I make a new charm for her bracelet?" The fact that his Goddess had accepted the charm bracelet in the first place still felt unreal to him.  

Waiting for his Mum's opinion with rapt attention, the child finishes collecting the star in his hands. Edmund gently places it into it's jar and screws the top shut. Holding up the jar he smiles at the star, "Thank you!" The star twinkles and the child imagines that that's how it's saying 'you're welcome'.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve takes up another of her jars, moving back towards the water, "Of course, little star." She didn't have it in her to tell him that he wouldn't be seeing her again. Not until they finished this quest too. Maeve wouldn't keep her son from the goddess. It would be silly to try, but realistically he would have to wait a bit before he got to hug her again. "I bet she would love to have another charm for her bracelet. Maybe we can make one that looks like one of the constellations, hm?" The Nightshade suggests, bending to scoop another starlight reflection into her own jar.

It twinkles inside, casting a soft glow on her skin as she gazes at it through the glass, a small smile on her lips. "Thank you." She murmurs, continuing with the trend despite the fact that it wasn't really necessary. Placing tis one back into the basket too, the Nightshade turns to watch her son for a moment, expression fond as she takes in the scene. Sometimes she wished she could just keep him this small forever.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund grins and leaps over to hug his Mum, "Ok Mummy! I like that idea!" He pursues his lips in thought, "But what constellation...?" It's a very important thing to consider and the child will certainly spend some time on that train of thought. Because surely Lady Safrin has constellations that she likes more than others.

As he retrieves the next star with a quiet word of thanks, Edmund notices Maeve watching him. "What is it Mummy?" The child isn't sure how to interpret the look on her face. It's not one he sees on her often and the emotion isn't one he's familiar with. As such, Edmun's brow furrows with concern, "Are you ok?"
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I'm not sure. You'll have to pick one out special for her." The Nightshade is certain that he'll choose one that Safrin will like. It was unlikely that the goddess could be displeased with anything he did, considering how devote her way to the goddess already. Safrin had many followers who were willing to go to great lengths for her, but Maeve wouldn't be surprised if Edmund blew them all out of the water one day with his own love for her.

His voice pulls her from her reverie and she smiles, opening her arms to him, "I'm alright, my love." She reassures him quickly, wrapping him into her embrace should he approach. "Edmund, I know that you want to help me with everything and I love that you do, but I need you to make me a promise, okay?" Her hands come up to cup his face, thumbs brushing across the gentle curve of his cheeks as she holds his gaze. The grey eyes so unlike hers and yet everything else is a perfect mix of her and Locke. It makes her heart ache. "Promise me you won't go ask Frey to make you older or Safrin or anyone else. Not before this war is done. Safrin and I won't be able to keep you safe if you do."
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
The child nods firmly, "I'll pick out the most special one." Edmund doesn't know which one that is just yet, but he'll figure it out. Maybe one that represents a virtue that the goddess has? Strength, intelligence, beauty... there were so many to choose from. It'd take some thought.

Edmund doesn't like seeing his Mum in any state of distress, so he quickly accepts her invitation, hugging her back. Meeting her gaze he gives another firm nod, "I'll promise you anything Mummy." He can't picture his Mum every asking him to do something that he wasn't ok with, so it's an easy statement.

But then Maeve continues, and Edmund feels his heart clench at her expression. "I promise I'll wait." And he'll keep his word. Even if it makes him frustrated to know that he can't help further. "But you have to promise me something in return, Mummy."

A small hand comes up and cups her face. "If I'm not allowed to be there to help or protect you, then you have to promise me that you'll come back safe from the war." The words are serious, stern even. Given with an expression that almost doesn't fit on a face so young.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

She feels tears sting the corners of her eyes. Sudden and unwanted. Her hands come up to hold the sides of his face, letting out an almost pained sound as she gazes down at her son. "Oh, my darling little prince... I promise I will come back." Maeve murmurs, leaning forward to press a kiss to his forehead, squeezing her eyes shut against the tears even as the begin to roll hotly down her cheeks. They stay like that for a long moment before she draws back, heart hammering against her ribs as she gazes down at her son, realizing just how beyond his years he already is.

"If you want to be older... The oldest you can be is sixteen. Any older and Safrin won't be able to whisk you away should something happen." It's a compromise. She can't bear to give him any more than that. Hopefully he'll understand.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
Edmund gently but urgently begins to wipe the tears from his Mummy's eyes. "Don't cry, Mummy!" He hugs her fiercely, nodding against her shoulder, "It's a promise. I'll wait till you get home after. Then we can go together if you want!" Something to look forward to, something to further push his Mum to come home safe.

Edmund does understand where Maeve is coming from, even if he doesn't like it. But he's given his word and the child plans to keep it. "I'll wait. I promise." He repeats, still trying to stop the flood of tears. Edmund thinks seeing his Mummy cry is the most painful thing in the world. It tightens his own throat and makes the flame in his chest burn like acid, almost as if it's trying to escape and get rid of the cause of said tears. It hurts.
EDMUND
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Her breaths are shaky even as his fingers brush at her tears, wiping them away gently, bringing the faintest of smiles to her lips. What would she ever do without him? Maeve cups his face once more, adoration mixing with the tears in her eyes, "I'm okay, my love." The reassurance falls easily from her lips and she places a hand over his chest as his breathing starts to pick up, feeling the way his heart pounds against his ribs. "Just breathe. We're both okay." The Nightshade murmurs as she holds his gaze for a moment, waiting for the feeling to pass through her son until their breathing matches the waves once more.

"We'll go together when I come back." She agrees, finally standing and taking his hand, picking up the basket that held their stars once more. "Come on... Let's go home."

~FIN <3~