Star-Crossed
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Fiat Lux truly was beautiful and captivating, a well needed reprieve for all from the aftermath of Long Night and the rocky start of the season. Phoebe had attended alone and was simply meandering through the festivities. Despite having not felt like it at the time, she did her best to gussy up a little. She had donned a soft yellow dress and used some of her herbs to tint her cheeks, lips, and eyelids, and kohl applied to her lashes - though it was far more effort than she usually put on her appearance it felt...good in an odd way to do so and feel pretty. Her long blonde tresses had a light wave to them, having been slept in wrapped around rags, and it all topped with one of the vibrant flower crowns. She felt pretty, festive, girly...it was a pick-me-up she hadn't realized she needed.

Quietly she watched from the sidelines as people danced and lit the spinning sun wheel and drank and made merry. A small smile sat on her lips, albeit a bit forced. It was good to see so many having fun, so many enjoying their time and frivolity and respite...enjoying their loved ones and friends. For a moment sadness dared creep up in her chest and she quickly shoved it away. No. Today was about celebrating, not mourning. Today was for Rae - and in a way Frey by association - not heartbreak over a stupid boy (as Rexanna had called him). Besides, Emmett certainly wasn't riddled with heartbreak over her. He probably already had a pretty Natural girl on his arm, off dancing or drinking or...whatever else. He wouldn't be wasting his energy on her, so she would just enjoy the day and not waste hers on him either.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Don't care about all the pain in front of me
'Cause I'm just trying to be happy
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Emmett watched Fiat Lux with a blank expression, his young siblings running off in front of him to partake in the children's activities; they seemed safe enough with neighbours he had known for years, so he walked around by himself to breathe and take in the sights.

It all felt...dull, colourless, without the context of his family with him. Without vegetables from the farm to sell, his mother to push him onto girls to ask for a dance, his brothers trying to sneak food from the tables...ghosts of past festivals danced before his eyes and Emmett had never felt so lost as he did stood there in the midst of the celebration, one hand holding his arm as he looked about and tried to summon some kind of seasonally appropriate joy inside himself.

It didn't work.

He couldn't leave when Chris and Milly were having such a good time, so he sat down on the grass and tried to look like he was having even the vaguest sliver of a good time. It was when he was looking around to see if anyone was going to come and call him out for his clear lack of happiness when he saw Phoebe.

She looked...good. Emmett let his eyes linger for just a moment, wondering if he'd caused a scar between them that would last; he knew he wasn't the only one who was hurt. Then he caught her eye, for just a second. Emmett froze then lifted his fingers in a shy wave.
Emmett
It burns too bright
I think about my self a lot 'cause it's the only one I've got
I've earned this life
What have I done to earn this life?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
As she scanned the crowd, trying to find happiness vicariously in the smiles of strangers, her eyes locked on a soul whose mood more mimicked her own. Her heart skipped a beat then fell to her stomach with dread. Just the person she had been trying to forget - Emmett. She swallowed, forcing herself to hold his gaze. Why was he alone? Where was his Natural girlfriend she was convinced he had found in the emotional wake of his newfound hatred for people like her? But instead of a contemptuous glare, he lifted a hand to wave at her. Phoebe froze, unsure what to do. Should she wave back? Should she glare and walk away?

Her feet moved her forward of their own accord, closing the distance between them until she stood in front of where he sat.

For a moment she stayed silent, unsure why she had approached. Unsure what to say. "Won't your Natural friends be mad if they see you waving at someone like me?" she said quietly, her fingers curling into her skirt. Her hurt was suddenly welling up as he sat there, looking at her, waving to her like he hadn't smashed her heart against the ground into a million pieces. "Or is it a new game Natural boys are playing, bed an Outlander girl, break her heart, and see if she is dumb enough to come back?" Though her words were hurtful they lacked the necessary spite of tone to really carry the message. He had made it clear he didn't want her around, and now here he was waving to her. Her lip trembled and she looked at the gress. Being mean wasn't her strong suit, even if he had hurt her. "Sorry." she whispered.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

To his surprise, Phoebe didn't look away as he had expected, didn't even stop at a returned wave. No, she walked right up to him and Emmett leaned back as if nervous of what she would do. When she began to speak his expression became a confused frown, his head slowly shaking.

"Wh..? My...Natural friends? Aw, c'mon, Bee..." He looked off to the side, sighed. "I never had nothin' against you bein' an Outlander, I still don'. And I sure didn' do anythin' to you on purpose, or for no game." The implication that he could be so cruel hurt, honestly. He blinked back tears (which were always close to the surface at the moment) and sighed.

"...A...Are ya enjoyin' Fiat Lux? I know it's ya first." He asked after her apology, desperately wanting to speak about something other than their issues.
Emmett
It burns too bright
I've earned this life
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Well you sure did a good job of making it seem that way." she said quietly, looking at the ground. Briefly she remembered Jigano's words - he was hurting, she was hurting, they were both suffering in their own ways. Antagonizing him didn't make her feel better and it certainly wouldn't make him feel better either. It just...accomplished nothing in the end. It just would make the wedge between them even bigger. Then again, there was something Emmett didn't know about yet...and Phoebe wasn't really sure if it would make any difference anyways.

He tried to change the subject and she looked out at the festivities. "Not really. I'm here alone and...everyone is so happy and with someone and..." she paused, swallowing a lump of emotion building up in her throat. He was trying to avoid talking about their issues but it just wasn't feasible. Their issues were plain as day. "And my heart hurts. I-i know you don't want me...I'm...too much or...not enough or...I don't know..." she sighed and looked at her skirt again as she anxiously wrung it in her hands. "It's just hard being around all this happiness when all I feel is hurt because I miss you and I worry about you and I think about you all the time...and I know I am the last thing you would ever think about anymore." she whispered, biting her lip to stop it from trembling.

"I suppose I should go...I'm...just going to ruin your good time like I ruined everything else." she said quietly, glancing at him to see if he would stop her.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett struggled not to sigh heavily as Phoebe spoke, began to get emotional. He wanted desperately to bridge the gap between them, to knock down the wall that had been set up, which he could hardly see Phoebe behind anymore. Whenever he spoke it seemed to never have the right understanding from her and he didn't know what she wanted.

Then all of a sudden she wanted to leave, far too soon; Emmett reached a hand up towards her. "No, please, c'mon. Sit with me. Let's...I dunno, work it out. I think about you a lot more than you think." When he had the bravery to think of good things, of good memories gone by (for often it could lead him to dark places) the time he'd spent with Phoebe was a regular flashback.

"I...I know I hurt ya, and I didn' mean to. But...my...I've been in a real bad place, Bee. I'm sorry if I fucked up durin' it but I...I don' even know how t'keep goin' every day, never mind talk proper to a nice girl." There was desperate in his voice which was thick with the warning of tears.
Emmett
It burns too bright
I've earned this life
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Well, she certainly hadn’t been expecting him to tell her to stop. That surprise was enough to make her hesitate and turn to look at him again. Not only had he said something he was reaching up to her. Teeth raked over her lower lip with uncertainty, but after a moment more’s hesitation she sunk down next to him, her skirt pooling around her in a near perfect circle. When had she ever actually denied him what he wanted, after all? Was there really a point in starting to do so now?

Brown eyes cast down to her hands as he spoke, but she could hear the emotion in his voice as he spoke. With a slight frown, she glanced over at him. ”I know you have been…I understand really I do…I was there with you, and I know what it’s like to lose everything.” she said quietly. Perhaps not in the same way, but if anyone could empathize with him, it was someone like her, whose family was as good as dead given they would never be seen again. ”And I was trying to help you but…I needed something just…anything that would show that you did still care…that you were still there somewhere.” she said, looking at him sadly.

After a moment’s pause, she asked softly, ”Do you want to stay where you are, or do you want to try living again?”
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett allowed a soft smile on his face when Phoebe chose to sit down, watching the way her skirt pooled and thinking her graceful, so much more beautiful and refined than he; really, he deserved none of her. Not her knowledge, her pretty looks, her nurturing nature. She deserved to be far away from his hands covered in dirt and his brain soaked in bloody memories.

"I...of course I wanna move on 'n' live my life. I jus'...I don' know how." He began to idly pull strands of grass from the ground, play with them in his fingers. "I can' promise it'd always be smooth or easy, or that I wouldn' upset ya again. I'd try my best, but...I'm in a lotta new stuff, right now."

It was the most honest answer he could give. Emmett couldn't make promises of a perfect future, could only give his word that he would try to be a little better every day. "...If I got to do that with you by me again, it'd be great. Amazin'. But...I get it, if you wanna find someone better."
Emmett
It burns too bright
I've earned this life
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Fortunately for Emmett, Phoebe didn’t want him to promise a perfect future. In fact, quite the opposite. ”I never wanted you to promise to be perfect or that things would be or that we’d never fight. That doesn’t exist.” Perfection was a fallacy chased by the foolish, destined to discontent. Phoebe knew better than to yearn for such things. She just wanted more tangible things; things that did exist in some form or another. As far as finding someone better…well she just wasn’t going to acknowledge his self-deprecation. He was in the throes of his own sorrow, and she knew better than to think she could rid him of that right now.

She sighed a little and looked towards where everyone was off having a good time, enjoying the festival. She even spotted Chris and Milly, scurrying around, laughing and eating far too much sugar. A soft smile curved her lips as she watched them – it was astounding how resilient and adaptable children were. They could all take a page from their book. ”You do that by living, Emmett.” she said simply, reaching into her basket and pulling a flower crown from it before plopping it on his head. ”Ask a girl to dance, get her a drink, go light a candle on the wheel with her…smile, laugh, enjoy…wallowing in sadness and forgetting to partake in the things you enjoy doesn’t bring anyone back to life, but it prevents you from having one.” she said quietly, glancing over at him.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"Yeah...I guess it don'." Emmett conceded, knowing well that relationships were not always sunshine. He had seen his parents have ferocious arguments when things were tough at the farm, seen his mother slam doors and his father need to take a fifth of whiskey to calm down...but they'd also held each other in the evenings while they sat with him and his siblings, had rushed at the chance to renew their vows.

He smiled with a confused laugh as he reached up for the flower crown to look at it before putting it back on his head, thinking over her words then leaning a little closer. "...Are ya tryin' to give me a hint? Does this girl wanna dance?" He gestured towards her, his voice the lightest it had been for weeks (partially because he was making it be, but there was also a sudden flame of hope in his heart).
Emmett
It burns too bright
I've earned this life
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
At least he was agreeing with her on something. That felt like a major win in the moment even if it probably wasn’t.

She smiled a little because he did, a laugh close but not quite escaping her own lips. Phoebe had forgotten how handsome he was when he actually smiled – it seemed like ages since she had last seen it. Her own faltered for a moment, thinking he was going to cast the crown aside. Maybe that had been a dumb move…flower crowns were a little girlie she supposed and he probably didn’t want to play along. But then he placed it back on his head and her smile returned. A blush creeped onto her cheeks as he leaned close, surprised by it. It was the first time since…well since the last time they had seen Frey together that he had made an effort to be physically close to her – and really, did anything that happened because of the way Frey affected people really count?

Phoebe chewed her lip and glanced at her hands. She did want to dance…but she still felt hurt from his statement about Outlanders. He could say he didn’t mean it and she could believe that to a point…”She does… but…can you promise to try not to lump all of us Outlanders together again? Make a point of it…for my sake?” she asked quietly, her hurt around that issue clear in her eyes and tone. She wasn’t asking him to be perfect about it, she wasn’t even asking him to take it back or not be angry at her sister-in-law (who was actually at the center of people’s ire); just that he would try to be more specific for her.

Thread continued here!
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound