[Seasonal Event] Remembrance
for Caiside
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
It was, indeed, a less exciting answer than Jigano had expected, but also somewhat unexpected. "The gods of my world are often in direct opposition to each other," the bard shared, "but rarely in direct conflict. They send their pawns and followers against each other. When the gods on my world war, they tear the very fabric of reality..." Aroden's death had been millennia ago and still the planet had not recovered from the wound his fall had caused.

"An easy deal to make," Jigano agreed with a grin as he finished patting the last seedling into place. "We both have quite a few stories to tell, it sounds like." But first they had things closer to the present to discuss, like shrine visits and guilds. Caiside's experience had clearly left the man with questions that he didn't trust anyone else to answer, and Jigano respected that by turning his attention to their talk of the guild he had started, back during the Deepfrost snows.

"Both, really," Jigano explained in answer to Caiside's questions. "Loreseekers have their own interests and specialties, which they are encouraged to pursue either on their own or with help from fellow guildmembers who share their interests. Generally speaking that's what draws people in the first place. But the other side of the guild is not simply gaining knowledge but knowing when to apply it. Often that means helping people who come to us with questions in need of answers. Those answers might be found in a book, or in making a map of the Underground, or in retrieving rare herbs from the Labyrinth... Not all information is written down, after all." He gave Caiside a wink as he stepped carefully over the new plantings to sit beside Isuma, rinsing his hands from his water container so that it wet the seedlings. "And sometimes we hold the knowledge we gain in trust for the future, recognizing that just because something isn't useful now doesn't mean it won't be later. But the overarching goal of the Loreseekers is to use the knowledge we gain to help the communities and individuals we find ourselves among."
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The Gods of Jigano’s world sounded far more concrete than his own. It was an almost strange thing to try to wrap his mind around, the only constant with the divine he had experienced was the Mother, and the endless cycle that surrounded her. Everything else was fluid, malleable and replaceable. Hopefully, the topic of the gods would come again, whenever they had the chance to swap stories.

The explanation of the Loreseekers was more thorough this time, and a little more appealing because of it. Caiside was not the type to simply sit and wait for knowledge to be dredged from some old tome, not when he could go out and discover it for himself. The idea of helping people, of making a name for himself through the guild, was also tempting. Stroking his chin, and accidentally smearing dirt over his face, Caiside considered Jigano's words. ”It would be nice to work in a group, and have some sense of... belonging again. Especially if I’m going to be remaining here.”

Caiside leaned back, lifting his knees out of the fresh turned dirt and balancing on the balls of his feet. It filled him with a surprising amount of pride to look over their work. It didn’t look like much, some small green transplants poking from the ground, the rest hidden beneath the aurface. Once things bloomed, it would make a fine memorial, poignant and useful all together. He turned to smile lazily at Jigano, none of his thoughts clouding his face, but his mind made up. ”I want to join, and to help. It’s been so long since I’ve felt like I’ve been helping, and I’d like to get that feeling back. Like I did today.”
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Remaining, was it? Then the confident man's prayers hadn't been answered in the way that he had hoped. If he was able to find a way home it would, at the very least, be too late for his celebration and the recognition he had seemed to crave in their first conversation. Jigano smiled at the smear of dirt on his friend's face, and offered the water bottle, tilting his chin and tapping the spot on his own face with a damp finger. "We should probably stop by a stream on the way back and clean ourselves up," he chuckled. "But I can understand wanting to belong to something. I... it has been a long time since I felt like I belonged anywhere." He hesitated, then stood and dusted his knees, his smile growing a little sad. "Like I wanted to belong." Like he deserved to belong, really, but Caiside didn't need him moping about like some tragic-backstoried protagonist in a two-copper play. "But like it or not, I'm here now, and there's some good I can do. And the more people who work together, the more we can accomplish."

Offering Caiside his hand he grinned down at his friend as Isuma stood and stretched as well, peeping her eagerness to be off. "I'm glad to have your help, friend. And to have your experience and point of view added to the Loreseekers! What shall I have Sam write in the Guild Chronicle book next to your name, for your specialties and areas of interest?" The Provost beamed, glad to add another colleague to their growing team.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Caiside accepted the water bottle with a raised eyebrow. Not understanding why it has been passed to him at first. At the tap of the chin he understood, chucking under his breath and wetting his hand. ”A proper bath does sound nice.” He agreed, dreaming of something far more luxurious than a simple stream, though he would in reality settle for anything.

Jigano’s voice, his hesitation and sadness, all pointed to a deeper, more painful story, but Caiside was too polite to pick at someone’s half truth. That, and he couldn’t be hypocritical, especially not to a man he genuinely considered a friend. ”It is difficult to imagine you not having a place anywhere. But I can understand it if you chose it.” Caiside looked up at his silver haired companion and smiled knowingly. ”I made the same one, not so long ago.” It was a difficult and noble thing to be able to move past things like that, and especially into the kind of position Jigano had.

Accepting the offered hand gratefully, Caiside let himself be helped to his feet, about to thank Jigano for his kindness when he caught Sam’s name. His face twitched neatrl imperceptibly, his smile growing tighter and faker for a moment.Ot was. Good thing that he was almost immediately distracted by pondering the question that followed the name. What were his specialities anymore? All of his knowledge of history, the divine, languages, all of it was worthless here. ”I... suppose he could put fauna, as a speciality. I kept an amateur bestiary book in my home, that I updated whenever I could. And...” Caiside hummed, obviously thinking. ”The gods, and linguistics, though I will have to relearn both here. Anything else I don’t think will be of much use here.” He laughed, though not as lightly as he meant to, his own words deflating him somewhat.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"You're kind to say so," Jigano smiled at the compliment. "Though part of that is training, as much as anything. A bard - any traveling entertainer, really - needs to be able to fit in wherever he goes. I suppose a traveling demigod does, too. But ever since I started wandering, oh, six years ago, now, I've never really felt the desire to stop." Until recently, that was. A powerful killing barrier could put a cramp in even the most restless of feet. Though, so could a lighthouse for his shadowed heart. It was strange to be finding a place he wanted to head towards and not away from, for the first time in far too long. He tilted a crooked smile at his friend in acknowledgment of their common choices, and the camradarie they bred.

He sensed a fleeting moment of discomfort as Caiside rose, and if he'd had his fox's ears they would have been twitching with curiosity, but for the moment he let it pass, until and unless the other man chose to share it. Again there was that moment of deep understanding, Jigano's smile fading a little as well. "I'm afraid so," he sighed. "I speak eight languages fluently, and knew by sight a great many unusual and magical beasts from several planes connected to my world... I could tell you of the history of Numeria all the way back to the Rain of Stars, and quite a lot of the surrounding countries as well. I had made a study of all of the major and most of the minor gods across several pantheons, and I could recognize a majority of arcane and divine spells just from a few words or gestures... and all of that is useless now." Not worthless, perhaps, but for a loreseeker it was frustrating beyond measure to have a lifetime of knowledge that was of no benefit to the people around him. He exhaled, letting his frustration out on the breath as he glanced wryly at his companion. "It just means we start again, friend Caiside. Linguistics will be useful immediately, at least. I could use your help working on the translations of a few different languages I'm piecing together from books in the Atheneum. And you can study theology with Amalia, our Loreseeker expert on the local gods. Fauna, though... well, you will be - or at least, will become - our expert on that!" He told his friend with a smile as they headed back to the Settlement to officially welcome the newest member of the Loreseeker's Guild.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:
Of course Jigano understood how it felt, having the vatness of his knowledge made so suddenly obsolete. It was sometimes easy t forget that he wasn't the only one brought here against his will. "I would love to hear some of the stories of your home, in addition to all the other things we have to talk about." Caiside offered the words up with a smile, knowing that he would be able to share his own stories in due time as well. Perhaps it would feel like less of a waste if they could impart their knowledge to another, even so far from home.

The offer of work to do put a bounce in Caiside's step as they walked, turning towards the settlement again. "I would be happy to help with anything that needs help. And I'll be happy to learn what I can from the others as well, especially as it relates to the Gods." He chuckled and looked away, rubbing at his jaw. "I did speak to Sam about the topic, but I'm afraid he wasn't as helpful as I had hoped." Caiside shook his head, but left it at that. He didn't know how much sway Sam held, hadn't even been aware of his membership in the Loreseekers, but he didn't want to do anything that might jeopardize his new position.

Knowing he would be the sole expert in his preferred discipline only improved Caiside's mood. "I cannot tell you how excited I am to begin. To learn again." It felt like a breath of fresh air, more of a purpose. More of him that was connected to this place, a little voice inside him whispered, but it wouldn't be so bad. Even if this was temporary, simply drifting through the experience wsn't an option. Caiside had always had to be involved.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"As you said, we can trade," Jigano offered with a grin. "We'll be at it for a long time, I expect. But it will be time well-spent." Working side-by-side in the same guild would give them a chance to catch up with each other, whether in breaks at the guildhall or in adventures they went on together. Caiside's stag shape might come in useful, even if it meant that Jigano would need to reveal his own secret at some point...

Isuma peeped something that might have been agreement, or simply a happy chirrup at him even considering sharing his secret with another friend. His lips quirked as he watched her bounce through the young grass, glancing wryly to the side at Caiside's mention of Sam. "Sam's a good man but... sheltered," he admitted fondly. "Though he's getting better about seeing the world outside his bookshop. Amalia is our guild expert on the gods, though, and a good one to seek out if you have questions about any of them. She's also a baker and often brings fresh bread to the guild," he admitted with a wink. "Now that you're one of our number you are welcome to come by the Hall when you get the chance and meet the others. I'll see if Amalia and I can pull some of the books on the local fauna for you, though I suspect you'll be pursuing a more hands-on approach!" He chuckled, taking a longer stride and reaching down to scoop Isuma up and tickle her as she wriggled happily and chirruped at the attention. "Still, knowing what's poisonous, for instance, before you touch it or get bitten might be a good idea!"

It made for a fun topic of conversation as they made their way back, at least, to the place that was as close to home as they had for now.