{SEASONAL EVENT} Servant of Two Masters [open!]
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Age: 30 | Height: 6’4” | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 4 - Int:
Played by: Sage Offline
Change author:
MP: 345
{Image: OxiMF3c.jpg}

Settling into the settlement was something he had found to be a struggle, but it was time to truly start establishing his place among the people. One of the best ways to do such a thing was to give back to the community of which he was becoming part.

For former royalty, Arthur was remarkably handy, likely something to do with his past squire duties, but nevertheless, he decided that he was going to put those hard-earned skills to good use.

The damage to the domiciles could have certainly been worse, but things needed to be repaired, regardless. Besides, while he was doing it, he realized that it was a good chance to figure out what kind of thing he wanted to design for the coming festival. When he had been king - and even before then - participating in festivals and activities to bring the community together was one of his absolute favorite things to do. Of course before taking the crown, his observation of festivals was much more common than any actual participation. Still! It was a lot of fun!

Part of planning the festival was making sure the place in which it would occur was in top condition. Whether that meant bringing it back to the way it was before or making it even better was still up for debate. There wasn’t a ton of time before the festival, but hey, putting on some pressure often spurred people to action.

He bent down and took hold of two slabs of wood that had been thrown - or more likely torn - from a nearby building. Arthur lifted them onto his shoulder and set them in a pile over on the side of the street. He started collecting a bunch of the wood and other debris that littered the area, bringing it to the side in two neat piles, one for materials that could be salvaged and one for materials that were going to have to be discarded somehow. Perhaps a bonfire? He smiled to himself at the thought.

{Image: T56OXPu.jpg}
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 16 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Oh! Yes! Who doesn’t love a good bonfire? Especially when the days hold the promise of warmer weather, but the nights are deceptive little jerks who make you think snow might be on the way again. Coming out of her house, the redhead sees a man she doesn’t know cleaning one of the areas between two other houses. Her place had been untouched, as it was empty during LongNight, and for that she is very, very greatful. Even if, you know, she had to fight an old man for it.

Don’t ever say Lily isn’t scrappy.

And she doesn’t really have anything pressing to do right now - just go scout for a place for her cabaret. But then an idea hits her and it almost makes her squeal out loud. Of course! The good ones shouldn’t be used for a bonfire, she should ask if she can have them. To make a stage. Practically running over to the man, Lily doesn’t even pretend to want anything else. “Hi there - I’m Lily. I live over there -” she points to the house with the painted door. “I was wondering if you’re going to use this pile of decent stuff. I have an idea for it. Of course I’d be happy to help you clean up, or whatever, in exchange.”

The excitement is practically bubbling out of her as she fixes the young man with a winning grin, green eyes practically willing him to say yes.

lily
as if you were on fire from within
the moon lives in the lining of your skin
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Age: 30 | Height: 6’4” | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Arthur smiled brightly at the approach of a red-haired woman. He lifted his brows at her request and glanced at the piles of rubble that he was sorting. Wiping his brow on his arm, he then folded his arms over his broad chest and nodded lazily to her.

“Well, I was simply going to repair some of the damage caused over the week, but a lady such as yourself I would imagine has a far better use for it.” He gave her a kind grin, looking at the rubble again.

He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a pair of gloves. With his years of labor coupled with even more years of swordsmanship, Arthur’s hands had strong calluses that wouldn’t budge from a little lifting, so the gloves were pointless to him for his current activity.

Holding them out to Lily with a genuine look, he nodded for her to accept them. “I’ve no use for them,” he explained. “Though they might be a bit large for your hands, they will provide protection.” The former king chuckled and breathed deeply. “How about you tell me of this idea you have for the usable pieces of wreckage, while we clear this up?” He would never say no to good company!

Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Lily chuckles dryly as Arthur offers her work gloves, but does not refuse the kindness. Though her hands are more rough than they were in Portsmouth, they are no longer the hands of a laborer. She’s gone to bed before with cracked nailbeds and it wasn’t fun. She’s drawn blisters and blood and it wasn’t fun. His chivalry is why she tries to continue to look attractive, and also why she tries to get stronger. It’s a weird mix, right? She wants to be able to help out, but she also wants the little kindnesses from men that indicate they’re noticing things about her, and trying to make her life easier.

When you boil it all down, it’s really just some form of selfishness.

Bending her back to the task at hand, Lily starts to drag a piece towards the ‘useable’ pile, taking care to avoid the nails sticking out of it and its jagged edges. She agrees to his easy conditions even though she still doesn’t know his name. “Well, I don’t think I’ll need them all.” A little frown creases her lips as she tries to imagine the planks made into something else. “Oh hell, I don’t know. I want to make a place for entertainment… A, ummm, cabaret style place. With a stage or an open floor. And a piano. Maybe a bar?”

The piece is tossed on the pile and she gestures towards some of the empty residences, and then the Ruins beyond. “There are plenty of empty places. Would just need some work and manpower. And for a piano to miraculously appear.” Lily genuinely believes she can make it happen, despite not knowing a goddamn thing about construction and other useful shit. But where there’s a will, there’s a way!  

lily
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Change author:

He smiled brightly at her, listening to what plans she had for the rubble that they were collecting. It was true that he had real plans for the collected pieces, but what was most interesting to him was how willing she was to work. Not that he had anything against women who let men do the physical labor, but Arthur was just much more accustomed to ladies of the court and noblewomen sitting back with a dainty ‘I can’t possibly lift anything more than a glass of wine’ kind of attitude. Lily jumping right into it was quite refreshing.

Lifting two pieces of wood onto his shoulder, Arthur’s brow raised. The more she spoke, the more interested he became. And it had very little to do with the activities themselves. Her get-to-it attitude was inspiring. “Well, if anyone could get a piano to magically appear, I’ve no doubt you could.” He let the pieces settle on the useable pile and swept his arm in front of him in a formal and obviously well-rehearsed bow. “If you need an extra pair of hands, former King Arthur Pendragon at your service, my lady.”

It was practically a joke at that point. There was absolutely no point to announcing his status anymore, especially seeing as he didn’t technically even have a status here, but it was almost force of habit. A habit he would have to break, but hey, at least he was adding ‘former’ in front of the title! That was an improvement, right?

Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:

Lily isn’t exactly innocent in her chatter about her future plans. She knows she can’t do it herself, and the more brawny men she can flirtatiously win over, the better it will go for her. Once they all get in one place is another matter entirely… but she’ll cross that bridge if she ever comes to it!

Though if she’s realllllly honest, Lily would love a little tussle over here. It would be almost like pre-portal times... And a major boost to her ego.

She chuckles. “I think I might need a little help for that, but it might be something to ask one of the Gods for.” This didn’t exactly seem like a musically inclined place, which made her sad. Music made people happy! It lifted spirits and coaxed out latent emotions. It allowed grief to be shed and praises to be sung. There are so many ways to make music, of course, but her favorite has always been the piano.

Anyway, she isn’t expecting the man to drop his next tidbit of information. “King?” she blurts out, giving him a good once-over again. The King Arthur misses her by a mile, as she’d never learned those kinds of stories and her lady wasn’t inclined to stories of action and adventure - only romance. “Where in the world did you come from?” she asks with a good-natured grin. It certainly wasn’t ‘modern-day’ Earth as she knows it.

lily
Arthur Pendragon
Knight

Change author:

When she mentioned asking the gods for what she sought, Arthur grinned slightly. He believed in one god his entire life, though he knew of pagans and the like who believed in many. Perhaps she was one of them, or perhaps there truly was more than one god ruling this strange place about which he still had so much to discover.

Her exclamation of his former title hadn’t been expected, but he chuckled nonetheless at the extreme reaction. It wasn’t the first time someone had looked at him with such astonishment, and his mind flitted back to the day he was named king. As a suppressed sadness started to creep over his heart, he shoved it away.

“Camelot,” he answered with a sentimental, yet kind smile. “From the land of Albion in England. She was a great kingdom, a truly magical, spectacular place, and she and her people will always hold a place in my heart.”

He gestured towards Lily then with lifted brows. “And you, my lady?” He asked. “From whence do you hail?”

Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:

“Virginia,” she responds. “In America.” Of course, he’d never heard of it, because there were at least - what? A thousand years before the discovery of North American by the white man? “But I have heard of England. Of course.” She hits that with a decent amount of emphasis. As in, they’d fought a war and declared independence from the British Empire not too long ago.

“Except… isn’t England all one kingdom now? Ruling over a bunch of places?” Her face scrunches up into something resembling a school girl trying to remember bits of news and gossip and the tiny pieces of politics she’d picked up while in service. Oh dear. They’re devolving into history and semantics and this is probably going to get very confusing for the former mythical King and the lady from the late 1700s.

Finally, Lily shrugs. It ultimately doesn’t matter, does it? They’re here now, helping each other out, and that’s what matters. He doesn’t act like an entitled, pompous ass, nor has he immediately tried to get into her pants. And those two surprisingly simple things make @Arther a-ok in her book. Her standards are - unfortunately - remarkably low.

It seems like they’re almost done. Just one large board left. Picking up one side, she waits for the young man to grab the other and take it to the right pile. ”Last one!”And then, maybe a nice cool drink is in order for the two of them, hmmmm?

lily