Friends are Few
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Since Ronin's death, Roana had mostly spent her days in preparation. She was working on joining his guild to keep it alive and active. She had sought out his goddess Safrin to ask her blessing, aid, and wisdom - all in preparation to make sure he did not die in vain. She would get these people out of here, Outlander and Natural alike. They would see beyond the barrier and exist in the greater world. But she would not go about it recklessly. She could not risk failure.

Of course, she still had other duties to attend to, like taking care of her three rambunctious identical triplet boys, Cormac, Jax, and Rhett.

Those three didn't quite grasp the reason behind the solemnity that had gripped the settlement in the days since the fight with the Spire. They had known their mother had gotten very hurt, but she was a warrior so it was far from the first time they'd experienced that. And the name Ronin? Well it hadn't meant terribly much to them. They had known of him, met him a few times, but he wasn't anyone of great importance to them. So as Roana walked through the street with them, their weeks rations in her arms, they tumbled and tossed and wrestled their way through the streets like young boys do, less interested in walking with any sense of dignity.

Are
Roana
Said I'll always be your friend
Took an oath, imma stick it out to the end
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
Still damp from the passing and confused by the whole situation, Are walked the cobbled streets, not sure what he even was looking for. The slowly setting sun whispered of a night the winds had only given him a taste of. The answers Jigano had given him still rang in his head, locked in hólmganga with what he had known for all his life. Could this not be Niflheim? He pondered as he made way to wherever was closest, fire or food.

Does it change anything? No. Build, she will be here, and I'll wait. His mind was made up, for the moment. With more pressing matters at hand, he stowed the worries away for later when he wasn't in danger of not waking up again. Maybe dying again would send me back. He snorted to himself, the absurdity of the thought enough to keep him amused for a moment.

"Heil ok sæl! he said, louder than he intended. The laden party ahead of him seemed friendly enough, and his current state had him take any chance that presented itself. I am Are, son of Jorm, from Aros. he said and offered a small bow to the woman. He made a point of keeping a respectful distance, even though Jigano had told him they're good folk he was not keen on repeating his previous slight.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He may have been louder than intended, but it would take much more than that to startle the woman ahead of him. The boys, surprisingly didn't startle either. They rounded on him, in fact, in perfect unison. Cormac, the ring leader of the three, puffed his little chest out in almost defiance, Rhett, the more analytical of the three, eyed this new man a bit warily, unsure what to make of him yet, and then Jax, who stood out as his baby chub was a bit more pronounced than his brothers, stared up at the man with kind, wide blue eyes.

Jax simply waved at the man, staying quiet.

Rhett piped up, looking confused as he asked, "What kinda words are those?

Then Cormac, bravest of the bunch, "I'm Cormac, son of Brahm, and I don't know no Armos!" said loudly, mispronouncing the place name Are had said.

The woman, their mother if only based on their eyes alone, sighed at their antics. She was a strong looking woman, with broad shoulders and muscled limbs, undoubtedly a warrior on build alone. She carried herself like on too, eyeing Are with a careful gaze unintimidated despite his much bigger frame and loudness. She was no shy, flinching maid, that was certain. "Boys." she said sternly to her sons - mostly Rhett and Cormac, and the three seemed to understand that instinctively by how the former flinched and Jax snickered. "It is good to meet you, Are. My name is Roana. Is there something I can do for you?"
Roana
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Are
"I... uh..." was all Are managed to muster. The boys startled him but the question made him question what had been coming out of his mouth. As naturally as he had breathed the air of the new world the tongue had spoken words he had never even heard before. Only specks of his own language remained in his mind and he stood perplexed for a few moments before he managed to reign in his thoughts.

"Yes, sorry. A scholar told me one could find a place by the fire around here. I don't have much but I can pay with honest work. I am a cobbler and a tanner." he said with newfound courage. Hardy people indeed. He thought to himself as he eyed the family. They all radiated strength and a pride he only had known in warriors from northernmost Roder. A people of salt and iron he once had the privilege of meeting, fierce folk but with hearts of gold. If I am lucky.

"I am newly passed, the scholar, Jigano, showed me the way here." he added and nodded as if to reassure himself that the name would be worth more than his own.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
Roana tilted her head slightly to the side. "You need a place to stay?" she said to clarify. A place around the fire was an odd phrasing to her, so she wanted to be sure she understood. But he was a cobbler and a tanner? Both necessary and good trades she thought, if he was any good at them of course. "If lodging is what you need there is space in my home, until you can fix up a place of your own. Everything that isn't inhabited now is pretty ramshackle at the moment." she offered. It was the kind thing to do after all. They had all struggled to get set up upon arriving. If she had been in his shoes, she would have hoped someone would have helped her.

Newly passed? Well that made her grin and laugh a little.

"I am afraid to say you aren't dead. This place is called Caido, a world of the living, if just barely. Whatever magic brought you here brought a lot of us to this world from our birthplaces." she said, shaking her head a little. To think this place was the afterlife must mean whatever place he came from thought the afterlife a rather depressing place.
Roana
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Are nodded in answer, however he skirted around the fact it was no secret. He very much needed somewhere not out in the weather if he where to survive, even more so if he was to carve a living out of this place eventually. "Indeed I do, and for that I am grateful. Housing a stranger is no small thing, I am in your debt." he said and bowed lightly. One after another, the kindness here sure is something.

All that had transpired until then made him rethink his conclusion. No longer set in granite was it that it had been Niflheim that had claimed him after he had gone overboard. Even if a bit bleak, this place seemed far too good to be Hel. The lack of an eternal chill also made him question it. Yet another person calling his supposition the talk of a madman, if though with kinder words.

"Yes, maybe not death, but a mighty galdr and the will of the gods sent me here." Are mumbled, just loud enough to not be only for his own ears. "Let me help, the least I can do." he said after shunting the confusing thoughts back from whence they came for the moment. He reached out to take the burden of the young boys.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
"You're very welcome, and please, there is no reason to bow to me. I am hardly anyone of such importance." Roana said with a small smile. Of course, that wasn't entirely true. Once upon a time she had been very important. A high ranking military officer, the daughter of a legendary hero and member of the highest ranks of society save for the royalty itself. Now she had the relative obscurity she had always wished for...and she was pleased to find it as comforting as she had always thought it would be.

"At least you've some idea of what sent you to this place. I was just minding my own business, blinked my eyes, and here I was." she said with a grin as she turned to lead him towards her home. The boys were still not super sure about this Are fellow though. Well. At least Cormac wasn't. He huffed and followed his mother, clutching his little bag of goods to his chest. Rhett considered for a moment before giving his little bag to Are and then scurrying along after Cormac. Jax grinned up at Are and offered his little hand to walk alongside him. "I'uh make sure you don' get lost." he told him, then asked, "What's a galdrrrr?"
Roana
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
"I know only that I should have drowned, but instead I woke up here. Be it Niflheim or not, I can not see what else could've sent me here." he explained, unable to scratch his stubble he settled on chewing the inside of his chin as he pondered if there was more to the whole event. Perhaps something beyond what he knew that pulled him here. Something more than a grim prank played by bored gods or a fluke to send him hurtling through the world tree's branches. Only something equally powerful could set it right...

Suddenly aware of the hand grabbing at his sodden tunic he reached down and offered a thick finger and a warm smile to the boy. "The galdr is a song of great power, when a völva, a..." he paused, searching for the right word in the newfound tongue. Witch! Yes, she weaves her magics to preform great deeds. Raising the dead, and protecting from great harm, but also to curse those who slight her. Are explained to the boy in his best impression of the storyteller Roar, the one who had taught Are about magic using the very same words.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
"Fair enough. I've seen enough odd things in my time to discount nothing." Roana said with a small shrug. There were gods in Caido. There was very powerful magic in this and other worlds. Anything was possible really. She just didn't have the energy to be surprised by it anymore. There were too many other more tangible things for her to focus on to bother with the what ifs of forces beyond her control.

Jax listened with wide eyes to Are. "Woah..." he breathed in awe. But minds so young were quick to take things inspiring and twist them to be similar to things they knew. And for a boy his age, what he knew best were things his mother did, since his father was not around. "Momma is real strong too! She helped kill a monster and has fought a lot of scary things and she even has a magic sword called Krsssisisss!" he said in excitement.

"No, it's called Krosis." Rhett was quick to correct Jax who just nodded and laughed. "Yeah, what Rhett said!"
Roana
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
For the first time since he arrived just the same day, but what felt like forever, Are laughed. A heartfelt chuckle at the boys enthusiasm and bickering, not unlike how he still had been with his own brothers. Brothers I won't see again. The thought killed his smile and the worry returned to the corner of his eyes. How will they manage spring hunt without me? Worlds apart, yet he still managed to worry.

"You speak like my father." he managed to blurt out while in deep thought, a moment later he realized what he had said. "In a good way. He is... was, a thoughtful man. Told me not to worry." Are added, trying to save making a fool of himself til after he had at least proven useful beyond mere entertainment. Not that it is not a noble profession. Reminding himself of the scholar and bard who had shown Are such kindness.

"So my eyes did not lie?" he asked Jax with what excitement he could muster. "A true warrior, like those of the northern coast, and with a weapon by Brokkr himself I say!" Are said to the boy and laughed. Memories of home, good ones, reignited again. He smiled and sighed, to be thrown between emotions took a toll on him. More so than the hunger, and the cold that had grown from snapping at his heels to having his spine in its jaws.

"Say, you know one of my trade called Rory? The scholar spoke highly of him and thought he could point me towards a fresh start." Are asked Roana, still smiling but with a thoughtful wrinkle again at the edge of his eye.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
"Well, I certainly won't tell you to not worry, there is plenty in life to worry about. But I am honored to be compared to someone you admire." Roana said with a smile, glancing back at him with Jax. He really was the sweetest of her sons, the most suited to greeting this newcomer.

"Uh...I dunno what Brrkrr is but yeah it's a magic sword! And its got a real neat dragon on the uh...uh..." Jax faltered over the technical words for the part of the sword he meant.

"The dragon is on the blade guard on the end of the hilt." Rhett piped up.

"Yeah! What Rhett said! And it can block magic attacks momma said! She got it from her pa who was a leg-are-dary warrior and momma is too! She foughted a big stone cat and survived fallen' off uh real big wall and momma foughted a demon too and it couldn't even beat her! Cormac and Rhett is gonna be real big and tough to like her and like pa was but I really like bread." Jax rambled.

Roana laughed and shook her head lightly at her son's ramblings. "Just don't become a bard, son, you can't seem to pick which story you want to tell." she said, teasing him, which Jax took well with a big grin and a laugh. To Are's question, she considered for a moment. "I have heard of Rory, but I don't know him personally, no. And... I would be careful. He was born in this place, and the Naturals here are not particularly fond of Outlanders like us as of late from what I have heard."
Roana
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Not able to get a single word in between the excited boy's story, stories? Are just smiled and offered encouraging nods and surprised noises. "Truly a skald this one, if he fights with half the fire he tells a story with he will be have stones risen in his name before the first snow." he said and patted the boy on the back.

A shade of the smile still lingered as they veered into more serious subject matters, but the eyes betrayed fears. One of the lands, not fond of strangers. How familiar. He snorted at the acerbic thought, very well versed in the hostility of townfolk not wanting anything to do with outsiders. He should, as he had been one to dole it out before.

"I know the kind. Far too well as a matter of fact, but I'll keep that in mind." Are said and pursed his lips, a moment was enough to push the worry over the edge. "'Careful'? As to keep the axe nearby or to hold one's tongue?" he finally asked, not sure he wanted to know the answer. Afraid it might douse what hope Jigano had lit with the talk of a fellow craftsman.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
"What's a skald?" Roana asked, glancing back at him. And stones risen for him? What on earth did that mean? She didn't discount Are for the misunderstandings, every place had their own curiosities. She just need to learn more about his, and eventually him about hers, and the conversational barrier would slowly dissipate. "I'm not certain Jax will end up much of a fighter. He's a sweet boy at heart." she said with a small smile. She didn't fault Jax that. He certainly wouldn't be a weakling, but she doubted he would make a profession of the battlefield like his brothers likely would.

"Both." Roana said with a slight shrug. "I've not heard bad things about him...but you have arrived at a rather tumultuous time. It's better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best." She said as they arrived at her home. It was a smallish, two story abode. The bedrooms were upstairs, and the kitchen, living, and dining room were all one larger room on the first floor, denoted only by the furniture that was in them. Dutifully Cormac and Rhett took their little bags to the table. Jax rushed over to help as well, as the three worked together to put things away. Roana had her boys very well trained.
Roana
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Are thought for a moment, racking his brain as to make some order among the words and phrases. He managed to make somewhat of a clear break in between old and new and found what he was looking for. "A poet, one who tells stories of gods and great deeds, heroic deeds. he said and nodded, the word wasn't exactly what he had in mind but close enough for the moment. The muddled mess of his mother tongue and whatever it was that had taken hold after the passing made him uneasy. Like with the other memories of what had come before, as the hours grew longer, separating the two had become an arduous task. Although one that thankfully kept him occupied and didn't leave more room to worry.

The more he had gotten to know about the state of affairs around what he assumed would be his home for the foreseeable future, the more he saw the very same split he was so familiar with from back home. Are was in deep thought as they entered the house, but his mind soon lost his train of thought as they stepped into a home very unlike what he was used to. He had to mind himself as to not ogle the interior for longer than what was appropriate.

"Caution is good, especially around here I take it." Are said as he sat the wares down on the table. "Tumultuous? Yes, Jigano spoke of winds of change." he said in a serious tone, as if he knew more than what little he had been told by the scholar. Still though, Are had seen the decay and the gray soils under gray skies. Not the archetype of spring he was used to, a sure sign all was not as it should. "He also spoke of the wall, one that might be separating me from... Anyways, he said it might fall soon." he said, skirting around the subject as best he could.

Not knowing the customs made him more nervous around Roana than it had with Jigano. The fool does not know his folly 'til the light of knowledge shines upon his mind His father's words elicited a crooked smile and another stifled snort. A better man from a better world, and his sayings still held water.