i've seen dark before
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia
If it surprised Soh how quickly Jack went from Jack-ass (ha) to... well, moderately civil, at least, she tried her best not to show it. At the very least, they were now talking business, and she'd learned during her brief time in selling her maps and artwork that her open friendliness seemed to charm potential buyers without her even having to think about it too hard. It was just how she was. So she settled into her role of cartographer without a second thought, relaxing a bit now that she wasn't nearly as terrified that Jack might be out to get her.

"Yes, Wrenzoak's Refuge," she said, nodding. "I have some notes on it -" But when she looked at her notebook drying in the sun, she thought the better of picking it up. Trying not to make a face, she turned back to Jack. "I had a tour recently - the man who founded it is a friend of mine." Was it a stretch to call Sunjata a friend? She didn't think so, but then, everyone was a new friend as far as Soh was concerned. Except maybe Jack. She wasn't too sure about him.
if all of the days have no more light and all of our dreams are lost tonight
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
i want to taste you again
Ha. If he had a penny for every time, blah blah blah. Alas, Sohalia's charm and open friendliness means less to him than the calibre of her map-making, and so it's to that he shows his interest. "You got any examples of 'em?" he asks; of the maps, obviously. If he's interested - and he very likely is, if she's any good - he wants to make sure that he's investing his business into something of quality.

Mention of a certain refuge does have his eyebrows raising, though, and he can't say he's surprised to hear that she's 'friends' with the founder. "Sunjata Wrenzaok still stickin' his dick into anythin' with a pulse, huh?" He scoffs, shaking his head. He's heard, of course, about how the war went, and if the Flood is no longer knocking boots with his husband (y'know, because of the death), then it stands to reason that he's become Caido's bike again.
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia
Fortunately for Sohalia, she has gotten quite good at her mapmaking, so perhaps Jack's interest won't be misplaced. She turned to her notebook, which was slowly drying, and carefully flipped past the dampest pages to something that still resembled a map. Pursing her lips, she shook her head to herself. Maybe if she flipped back a little further...

She managed to find a map of the Greatwood that wasn't entirely soaked and stood, brushing sand from her skirts as she approached Jack with the journal, holding it out nervously for him to peruse. Hopefully he wouldn't try to flip any of the pages, or if he did, he would handle it with care. The map in question was exquisitely detailed, featuring the Stone Symphony and its notable points of interest. In the margins, notes about the area were written in a neat hand, and little sketches of various interesting flora and fauna dotted the page around the map. "Here's the best one I have with me," she said shyly. "I have larger versions back home, but I usually don't travel with them. I can send them by courier, though, if you're interested," she said, thinking warmly of Tal.

When Sunjata's name came to Jack's lips, though, Sohalia blinked with surprise. She'd thought nothing but good things of the demigod, so to hear someone talk about him with something like scorn took her aback. That, and the 'sticking his dick into anything with a pulse' thing. For a moment, she stared at Jack like a deer in the headlights, trying to determine if he was insinuating that Sunjata had done anything of the sort with her. Then she remembered the brothel, and it started to make sense. Well, that was none of her business, really. "I couldn't say," she said finally. "I just ran into him by accident. He seemed quite nice to me. He showed me around King's End. It helped tremendously with the map I'm working on."
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Drying his hands off on the shirt he's still yet to put back on, Jack (obviously) doesn't move from where he's sitting, grasping the notebook Sohalia offers with a confidence as if belongs to him. The soggy pages are annoying now, he notes, and it's with a grumble that he lifts his free hand; prior to perusing the map, the captain uses his water magic to carefully pull the moisture away from the pages, leading it in a thin stream back into the Miana Pool.

By the time he's looking over the Greatwood map she's created, the notebook's paper will once again be crisp and dry. "Larger version'd be helpful," he murmurs, and if the detail is anything like this one, colour him impressed. "On leather, or somethin' waterproof," he adds, blue eyes flicking up at her as if to silently ask if she's capable of that. "I captain a ship," he supplies, just to be nice.

Hiding his smile to hear such rosy thoughts about Sunjata flit through her head, Jack folds the papers and snaps the notebook shut, holding it out to Sohalia. "Oh, I bet he did," he rumbles, finally rolling to his feet and grabbing his shirt to pull it on. "Just don't do him any favours - he's as like to fuck off and forget about 'em as he is to make good."
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Soh's anxious gaze followed her notebook as Jack took it, but he was surprisingly careful with it, even going so far as to siphon out the remaining water from the pages. There would still be some smudges and bleeding, but at least it seemed like she'd avoided worse damage, which brought her no small sense of relief. She was about to thank him, but then he was asking about larger versions and leather, and she nodded.

"Waterproof is a good idea," she admitted. Most of her buyers so far had been collectors and art aficionados rather than explorers, but she could certainly see the appeal of a leather or otherwise waterproof map for those who would actually use them. Thoughts and plans began to tumble about her mind as she sourced supplies and brainstormed methods. "It would be more expensive, but it's certainly doable. What size would be most convenient? Something larger than this, of course, but not too large, right? It still needs to be portable. Easy to roll up and store."

She took her notebook back with a soft, "Thank you," and began to tuck it away in her bag. But at Jack's warning about Sunjata, she paused, tilting her head to one side in confusion. She wasn't normally one for gossip, particularly not about people she liked, but she had to admit to some curiosity about Jack's apparent dislike of Sunjata. "What do you mean?"
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
"Price ain't an issue," Jack murmurs, taking another drag from his cigarette as he buttons his shirt. "So long as it does the job." Grabbing the various bits and pieces that were unsuitable for swimming in the pool, he tucks them into pockets or slips them onto fingers, he replies to Soh on a slow, smoky exhale.

"Mm - large enough for a couple people to look at it at once," he says, using his hands as a rough estimation. "But small enough to roll and keep in a case. One for King's End, another for the Oerwoud. You mapped the whole place, you say?" Because an incomplete map isn't terrible, so long as Sohalia is willing to add to it - or to let someone else add to it, if she isn't up to the job.

Grunting a response about Sunjata rather than giving one right away, the captain flicks the ash from his cigarette and rolls his shoulder. "Used to be Governor here," he says. "Then fucked off when it was convenient. Ain't like I want him dead, but he did manage to fuck up my plans when he left."
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Soh nodded along with Jack's instructions, pausing to take a few notes on a clean sheet of her journal. "I've got all of the Oerwoud except the Undergrove, but I've an expedition planned soon for that. King's End, I've got mapped from the air. I have a bit more research to do to produce the finished map, but it shouldn't take me long. Maybe a couple of days, once I'm home. I'd say I could have them both done within a month," she mused, half to herself, as she counted the days of travel it would take her to get from here to Stormbreak to the Oerwoud and back, then actually draw out the maps on leather or something else waterproof. That would be the part that took the longest - it was painstaking work, to detail a map without mistakes. "I know it's a bit of time, but it'll be worth it," she told Jack firmly, perhaps the most confident she'd been throughout their entire conversation.

Discussion of Sunjata, though, left her confused. From what she knew of the man, if he had left, he had to have had a good reason. But that didn't mean that it was easy for other people when he did so. "I'm sorry," she said. "I'm sure it wasn't intentional." Or maybe it was. After all, she wasn't sure how much she trusted Jack; perhaps his plans had been bad ones.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
"A month is fine," Jack says, flicking the ash from his cigarette. "Gonna be travelling in the opposite direction to the Oerwoud for a bit, so ain't urgent." And even when he does receive them, of course Jack will want to start annotating the maps with his own notes and locations, because honestly, if your secret drop points are obvious enough for a cartographer to map them, they aren't as secret as you think.

A smirk curls up one side of his mouth to hear the confidence bolster her words, and he inclines his head to her. "However you decide to send 'em, have 'em brought to a ship called The Ark," he says. "An' if she ain't in port, drop 'em at The Hanged Man tavern." That should at least get them somewhere safe before Jack can pick them up.

Jack's plans had not been bad ones, and he'd say as much if it wouldn't blow a very important cover, and they hadn't even been anything to do with Sunjata. They'd just involved him remaining as Governor - which is not a difficult role to hold, in the captain's opinion. "What goes 'round comes 'round," he drawls with a shrug. From the little he's heard about the Flood these days - and the whole losing the war thing - Sunjata's laying in a bed that he made, Jack thinks.
like a secret or a sin
JACK
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Soh nodded agreement. She'd be sure to send the maps along as quickly as possible - she preferred to make good on her promises sooner than later. It was better for business that way. "The Ark, or the Hanged Man. Got it," she said as she jotted down a final note. Ignoring Jack's comment about Sunjata - for as far as she could tell, whatever had happened with Jata in the past could stay there - she offered her hand. "It was nice meeting you, Jack, and good doing business with you." She couldn't say that it was the complete truth, but what did he expect after his dramatic entry?

With Jack on his way, Soh returned to her belongings and - after scooting them back further from the water - sat down to continue working on her notes and sketches of the Miana Pool.

-FIN-