[se] i've been here before
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Alys
Alys, for once, was grocery shopping.

For the most part, she didn't cook her own meals, preferring to eat at the Academy or at a restaurant. But rumor had it that they were supposed to bring something to this alleged festival, so she'd decided that she may as well give cooking a try. She'd researched a few simple recipes and decided on a beef stew, and her arms now were full of vegetables to add to it.

She made her way to the counter to haggle over the price of the food, having learned from Hotaru the best ways to get a deal. Once she was content with the price, she paid and exited the shop, looking down at a list she'd written in the dormitory this morning. The next thing she needed was the beef for her stew, and she looked around for the closest butcher's shop, planning to head there next.
sometimes i think all i'm ever doing is
trying to convince myself i'm alive
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
Noah
Who needs beef when you have the rich, lean, luxurious meat of luxere?

Noah made his way through the Citadel with the dead deer-like creature swung over his shoulders. It was gutted and no longer dripping blood, but the Sentinel's coat that kept him warm was stained from carrying the beast. His breath came out in labored puffs, but the feat was much easier for the demigod than many other hunters within the frozen land. Strength and endurance played a large role these days in what he could do.

Coincidentally, he was making his way towards the same butcher shop as Alys. Noah recognized her from the recent trip she had taken with the wardens and himself. Stepping up to match stride with her, Noah offered a warm smile and a greeting. "Hello, Alys."

Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Hello, Alys.

The familiar voice had her turning to meet Noah's warm smile, tilting her head up and shielding her eyes against the glare of the sun high above. "Hello, Noah," she said, taking in the sight of the luxere draped across the man's shoulder, barely succeeding at wrinkling her nose at the corpse of the deer-like creature. She had a soft spot for the luxere, and to see one in such a state was jarring. Still, she'd heard that their meat was quite nice, and now that it was already dead, she couldn't see any reason not to take it to the butcher - the very same butcher that she herself was on the way to visiting.

She fell into step with Noah, taking two strides to each of his. She didn't know the man well - only a bit, from their expedition into the desert - but she'd grown more social since coming to Halo, so she wasn't quite as grumpy or gruff as she might have been once. "I see you had a successful hunt," she commented, juggling her bag of vegetables to hang over her shoulder. "Have anything special planned? For the meat, I mean."
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Noah
Noah nodded and his smile stretched. "Vi was good to me." Humility painted every syllable, but it didn't have to. Noah was a successful and accomplished hunter, and his skills kept many bellies within the Citadel full. That was well known.

"I was going to trade it to Hector." Noah informed, jutting his chin towards the butcher shop they now stood in front of. "I was hoping he'd have something good this time of year, with trade easier and all." Not as easy as it had been with the Voice's portals, but Noah would never admit that.

"Were you going to see him, too, or did I intercept you?" His glacier eyes looked to the door of the shop as it opened and another patron stepped through. Noah took a large step back to make an opening for them to walk by, but he lifted his brow and looked back towards Alys, expectant for a response.

Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
The mention of Vi was taken with an incline of the head; Alys had grown more and more confused about her feelings for the gods, but she wasn't about to get into a philosophical debate with Noah, especially since she no longer knew where she stood. It had been easy to dislike them, ignoring their existence just as she felt that they ignored hers. It was more difficult to ignore them, knowing that some of her friends - including other Abandoned - were on good terms with the likes of Frey and Safrin. It had given her a great deal to think about in recent weeks.

So instead of commenting on Vi, she glanced toward the butcher shop. "I was -" She stepped aside as another patron passed by. "I was on the way to see him. I'm making stew tonight, and I was hoping to get some beef." She stepped towards the shop, opening the door and holding it for Noah to step through, given that his hands seemed to be quite full.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah
"Oh, Alys." Noah shook his head dramatically, his eyes widening with bright excitement. "Who needs beef when you can have luxere?" He wiggled his shoulders, which made the dead deer-like creature bounce somewhat morbidly. "I wouldn't mind sharing this with you, instead. Hector doesn't need it." And Noah didn't really need what Hector had, either. His storerooms were full and prepared -- his way of nesting. He knew he needed to keep them well stocked as the twins approached. There would be little room for hunting when he was going to be using all of his time to care for newborn children alongside his wife.

"You're welcome to come back to my place and I can show you how to process a fine, fine creature such as this." His smile was broad and his head tilted in a golden retriever like way, glacier eyes warm and sincere in his invitation. If she agreed, then Noah would begin walking towards his home where he was sure his wife was ready for company, having been confined to bed rest for so long.

Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
It was beginning to make sense why Noah and Deimos got along so well. They shared a certain playfulness that Alys couldn't quite put her finger on, but that put her at ease all the same. As Noah wiggled his shoulders, Alys offered a snort of laughter. "I've never had luxere," she told him, ignoring the way her stomach rolled at the thought. Sure, it was a shame to have such a beautiful creature killed, but at this point, it was just meat. There was nothing she could do about a dead deer after the fact.

She let the door swing closed. "I've got vegetables," she said, holding up her bags. "Or, if stew's not to your liking, I'm sure we can figure something else out." She fell into step beside him, unsure what else to say. She'd never been one for small talk, and she didn't know Noah well enough yet to fall into comfortable conversation the way she might with Tal or Ru, or even Deimos. "Do you go hunting often?" she asked after a moment of thought. That seemed like a safe enough topic.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah
”Stew sounds great. My wife will really like that.” Noah confirmed as they walked. ”Yeah, before I got involved in politics it was all I did. I come from a long, long line of hunters.” Basically, Noah knew the tundra like the back of his hand.

It wasn’t too long from Hector’s shop until they were at his doorstep. Noah motioned for Alys to follow him with his chin before ducking in to the door on the side of the house. ”This is my processing room. People can come here to trade with me, or leave me requests for hunts.” Noah said, moving the Luxere off his shoulders and onto the large, waist height table.

He then crossed the room and took off his hunting coat, now fully covered in blood, and replaced it with a warm sweater that gave him greater freedom of movement. Rolling up his sleeves as he gestured to the other counter, Noah raised his eyebrow towards Alys. ”Do you prefer a big knife or a small knife for cutting up your vegetables?” He asked. ”I’ll go get something that is better for you than the boning and carving knives I have in here. I’ll check on Cordelia, too.”

Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Hunting was not something that Alys was particularly familiar with, though she had recently picked up archery as a means of self-protection. As they walked towards Noah's home, she wondered if perhaps he might give her some pointers sometime - like Deimos had, not too long ago. She had found that she enjoyed learning from those more experienced than she. Besides, as she strengthened her body, her magic had strengthened, too, and that had been the whole point when she'd first begun training. Now, though, she had found that she enjoyed her archery for the sake of it - even if she wasn't so sure about her ability to use it to take down an innocent animal.

Entering the processing room, Noah deposited the luxere on a large table and gestured towards a nearby counter for Alys to begin chopping her vegetables. "A small knife should be fine," she told him - certainly something smaller than the boning and carving knives that she saw in the processing room! Her vegetables including onion, carrots, and potatoes... "On second thought, maybe a larger knife, for the potatoes."
Minor powerplay allowed without permission.
Feel free to use force/magic on Alys.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah
Nodding the confirmation towards Alys, Noah headed into the main part of the house. He wasn't gone long, unwilling to leave his guest in a state of unknown. If he did, his mother would surely be throwing herself at him in Mort's realm. She had raised him better than that, after all. He made his way to the kitchen and grabbed a few things he needed, including an extra apron if Alys would want one. Then, he headed towards the bedroom. He opened the door softly and peaked his head in. A soft smile raised his cheeks as he saw Cordelia asleep, looking comfortable for the first time in a few weeks.

"My wife is sleeping. She's on bedrest -- due any time now with twins. She'll be excited to wake up to some food and some company." Noah informed Alys as he  ducked back into the storeroom. He handed her the knives. "I grabbed one larger knife and a smaller pairing knife for good measure." He also brought out his hand with the apron in it, offering it to her. If she didn't take it, the hunter would set it on a stool before making his way back towards the luxere.

"Normally I would skin this whole deer and do the processing, but since we want to eat some of it tonight, I'll just work on a haunch."

Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Alys wasn't alone for long before the Sentinel returned to offer her two knives and an apron. She took them all, setting the knives on the counter before tying the apron around her slight frame. "Twins?" she said, her brows raising. She wasn't sure she wanted any children, much less multiple at once. "Congratulations! It sounds like you'll have your hands full." She wasn't sure what to say aside from that, to be honest; small talk had never been her strong suit, and discussions about wives and babies went beyond her small skill set.

So instead, she turned back to her vegetables and grabbed a few potatoes to begin peeling. She'd use the smaller knife for that, and then the larger knife to cube the potatoes for the stew. "How long does the meat stay good for?" she asked, curious. "How do you process it?"
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah
noah laughed and nodded. It was definitely going to change their whole lives, even in ways he couldn't comprehend. He had been a substitute father for Ezekiel, but even in that case he had his father around for all of Ezekiel's infancy. Delphine's girls had only been around for a short time before she lost them to her own selfishness and Mort's mercy, and he definitely hadn't counted that as any type of fatherhood. He knew he was in for a long road, but he was so excited for it. Noah had dreamed of being a father for most of his life, and once he fell in love with Cordelia he had been confident she was the one he wanted to raise children with.

"So, usually I start by hanging it. I like it to hang without freezing for a minimum of a fortnight, but the closer to a month it hangs the more tender the meat is." He started, talking as he took to removing the left haunch of the beast. "Once its hung, I'll make all different cuts from it. Then, I'll take those cuts and preserve them in different ways. Large chunks that can be roasted I'll freeze and those will be good in the right conditions indefinitely." When he mentioned freezing, he carefully pointed with the hilt of his boning knife to the covered hole in the floor behind her. "Other pieces I will dry and salt, or salt and smoke, and those will last if I keep them dry for upwards of a few months. Smoked and dried meat can last for a few years, even." He said, starting to take the hide off of the leg once it was severed from the body.

"As far as the actual processing, you want to be picky." He used the tip of the knife to show Alys what he was talking about, and tipped the leg so he could show her. "Deer-like animals don't always have very good fats for eating. They get tough and are just all sinew-y. So I cut away most of the fat and render that down over a low fire to make tallow with. I'll sell that to the candlemakers." All of this teaching and conversation was happening while the hunter skillfully worked. He took the fat and sliced it away, setting it aside, and then worked to cut the meat away from the bones and made a pile of it. "With bones, and scrap meat, I either use that to make broth with or sell it to Talyson for his dogs."

Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Whatever Alys had expected of her question, it was decidedly not the response she got. She'd been expecting perhaps a few sentences, a brief analysis of how the processing worked, but instead she ended up chopping her potatoes while listening to a rather lengthy lecture on the subject. Surprised, but not entirely upset about it - she had asked, after all - she listened, humming acknowledgement in what seemed like the right places. It was actually quite interesting, as Noah worked on the meat, showing her what he meant at each step, so much so that for a moment, she forgot her own task to watch as he sliced away.

"That's... a lot more complicated than I thought," Alys admitted as she turned back to her vegetables. She set her chopped potatoes aside to work on the onions, peeling off the outermost layer in preparation to dice them into chunky pieces. "How did you get started, anyway?"
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
Noah
The man was quick to cut the meat into inch cubes after it was sliced away from the bones and trimmed of its fat. He set his knife down, wiped his hands on his own apron, and closed the distance to the other side of the storeroom. "I'll get the pot ready." He said before stepping into the main part of the house again. From a tall shelf he grabbed a rather large dutch oven. Taking its handle up, he hung it above the blistering fire.

He returned to the storeroom and took up space at Alys' other side. He grabbed the knife she wasn't using, and started chopping at carrots as she worked on the onions. "Olsons have always been hunters. My father started me out on small hunts here and there, watching and observing for years before I could even carry my own weapon." He gestured up to the small bow, just now over the length of his forearm, hanging above the door to the main part of the house. "I learned everything from him. Tracking and trailing, processing, planning, all of it."

It was only when Noah glanced up at Alys as he put the small cuts of luxere into the blackened dutch oven that he realized he may have been oversharing. Warmth traveled up his neck and kissed his cheeks a salmon pink, and the hunter shook his head. "I don't mean to bore you. It's just that I haven't been able to just talk like this in a while." Between his work as an advisor and his duties as a demigod, he hadn't had much time for true leisure -- and this felt nice. Just talking to, and being around, a new person.