Snarely there!
open
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Are
A fruitless couple of days and nights was too much for what little hope remained. Cooped up in a ramshackle ruin of a home was no way for a man of the north to spend his days. The monotonous work had worn him down to the bone, mind void of anything but the dust of crumbling plaster and smell of damp thatch. He needed a break, productive or otherwise. Are had gathered what little tools he had scavenged and been gifted. With nothing more than rations for a day or two, knife, axe, and a vague idea of where to trap he set off into the woods.

It was all just a bleak image of what he had left behind, or it could just be that what memories remained had been twisted into something of otherworldly beauty. An image always improving as the world it depicted faded away. No matter the gloom and loneliness, for the moment the man was content. The traps had been set and a small fire crackled joyfully as it warmed a few pieces of bread and a handful of acorns. Waiting, ah, the very best part. He remarked with an acerbic tone in his head.

What little remained of the sunny, if yet worried, disposition all went into keeping down the trodden path. He had come too far to not see it through. Even though not many days had passed, it felt as if it was a lifetime ago he was thrown from his home for good.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
VAI
The huntress
"Ah. I thought the woods were on fire for a moment." The voice came echoing from between two trees, Vai strolling forward and into the clearing where the stranger was toasting bread and acorns. She smiled softly, dressed in her customary fur and leathers, though she had thrown a cloak atop her attire - it was difficult to dress to accommodate her pregnancy these days. And Are would undoubtedly notice that she was with child, from the way she carried herself to the bump she cradled as she fell to a halt.

She had seen the traps, the former huntress having a keen eye for it, though she hadn't expected to see someone make themselves quite so comfortable. She lived in the woods, but few found peace within the trees. "I'm sorry if I disturbed you. I have a cabin not far from here. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Are
By the gods, not like this! Was the only thing he could think as he froze at the sound of a voice he was sure as can be belonged to the woods themselves. His body was ready to fight or flee but instead of grabbing the axe or legging it he had just seized up as if dropped in an ice-hole head first. Are knew better than to let his guard down in unknown woods, even if he hadn't seen signs of either wolves or bear he knew getting comfortable meant being reckless. That'd be another dunking...

"H-Heill... he barely managed to stammer as the adrenaline finally let go of his shivering body. The voice though, it carried with it a kind of strong softness that awoke a memory. Exactly of what he wasn't sure, but he didn't get the time to think as the woman loosened herself from the shadows between the trunks and made herself known. Finally, his mind caught up with his locked tongue and jaw. "Heil og sæl, forgive me for intruding, I'm just trapping. I am Are... he hesitated for a moment. "Just Are, I am new in this world, a cobbler, just trying to live of the land as best I can. he said and chuckled nervously, but relaxing by the word.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
VAI
The huntress
"No need for forgiveness, Are. The woods don't belong to anyone." She smiled to him, pausing to lean against a tree close to where his fire crackled merrily away.

"My name's Vai. I'm not from this place either, but I've been here for a couple of seasons now. How long since you arrived?" she asked.

He seemed nervous, skittish almost; Vai knew the signs well, having lived that way for much of her life. But there was something about the woodlands here that had become welcoming, familiar almost. "What are you hoping to trap? I've walked these woods a lot since I got here. if you're hunting anything in particular maybe I can point you in the right direction."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Are was about to interject, but held his tongue, knowing full well how unpopular some of his beliefs had been thus far. Instead he just nodded and returned the smile. Sitting back down and breathing a sigh of relief, he let the questions sink in for a moment. Making his own mind up had always been a great challenge, always a myriad of little threads, worries and doubts darting around what really mattered.

"Not more than a few days, I can barely remember..." he answered, the closest thing to the truth he could muster at the moment. Time seemed just different enough that the sun never stood where he expected it. Worrying at first, but now more irritating than anything. Threw off all the planning he so loved to do to take his mind of whatever menial task had to be done. "It feels as if I was home only a moment ago, but also like it's a lifetime away." Are said more to himself than to Vai, just putting the feeling in words made it easier to push to the side for the moment. Focus on the task at hand, providing what he could with what he had.

...And not burning the bread.

"Bacraut." he muttered as he removed the sooty morsels from their place next to the fire.

"Rabbit. Woods seem close enough to those near Aros, so if I'm right and lucky I won't be going hungry or idle for the next few days."
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
"A few days?" Vai let out a low whistle, shaking her head. "Rough. If you have any questions or you need any help, let me know," she said. She knew full well how confusing and disorientating the Hollowed Grounds could be, and that was even before it started throwing magic and trickery at you from every corner. Nodding in agreement with his analogy (Northaven still felt like a lifetime and a blink away, sometimes), she arched an eyebrow as the acrid scent of smoke reached her nose.

Are was on it already, though, removing the burnt bread from the fire a touch too late to be rescued. Vai smiled sympathetically. "Sorry, I distracted you," she murmured, glancing around at the woods and nibbling her lower lip. "Rabbits are good here, but be careful foxes don't have at them. Deer, too, are common, if you've a bow to hand, or a spear."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
He let out a small chuckle at the simple word to describe his whole life as of late. Rough. Perfectly encapsulating the maelstrom of emotions and chaos of conflicting motivations he had experienced the last few days. "Rough... Yeah, being dead takes some getting used to." he said and smiled, even with the corners of his eyes as the comedy was not lost on him.

"Rough as it might be, I'd be dead, again, if it weren't for kind folks like you." he said, nodding and pointing at Vai with a piece of what used to be bread. "You ever need any shoes, stop by and I'll fix you up, on the house. A small token of my gratitude."
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
Vai tilted her head at the unexpected comment from Are, not quite catching his meaning. "Dead...?" she echoed, and for a moment a thousand possibilities flashed through her mind; could the dead be revived after all? Was Are some shade that had been pulled through and back into the land of the living? Forcing herself to shake those thoughts away, she returned her attention to the man before her. "Forgive me - are you saying that you were dead? Or that you're dead... now?"

That was another possibility - that she was talking to a ghost. These woodlands had proven mysterious at best a lot of times before Vai had lived there. But did ghosts often offer to cobble shoes? She blinked, before smiling to Are. "Thanks - that's very kind of you. Perhaps after the baby comes; I'll need some new boots for hiking and hunting."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Are rolled his eyes in an uncharacteristic display of arrogance, smiling at the notion of someone not seeing things for what they where.
"Dead, stone cold, smacked by an oar and sent to Ägir's domains. Spat out here in Hel, a drowned cobbler don't go to Valhall. he recited the short version of his story, leaving out the parts that still made his heart ache. The harsh way in which he faced the truth that he was never destined for anything beyond what transpired left a sour taste in his mouth. His smile fading and leaving behind a worrisome grimace, a shadow of what joy he felt before the reminder.

"As a matter of fact, we're all dead. Why else would we be here?" Are asked, not letting the subject rest like he should. A far too fresh wound to poke and prod at, especially with someone he didn't even knew existed an hour before.

Then he sighed and under his breath cursed his mood. "It changes nothing. Dead or not, the world is what we make of it. Father liked to tell me that." lightening up slightly he reminded himself of the man whose words had gotten him a long way, words that now provided comfort as the memory of home slowly faded away.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
Vai heard him out with a furrowed brow; she had read a lot of tales and she remembered more still, from word of mouth or otherwise, but she had no idea what the man was talking about. Ägir's domains? Hel? "I'd like to think I'd know if I were dead," she said slowly. "Besides, I didn't think the dead could have children." She patted her bump as if to clarify. "I was pulled here, as far as I know, through a portal. Such things were not unheard of in my world."

Still, what he said was true and Vai wasted no time in nodding in agreement. "Your father was a very wise man," she remarked. "And his words are worth heeding. Whether you think you're dead or otherwise, I hope this world brings you as many good things as it does hardships."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
He could not contain the smile, even though his bleak outlook on life (or death) should've kept him somber he could not mope in the face of his memories and Vai's words. "Dead or not, it's our world to break." he said and smiled. The bearded, toothless smile reflected in his own. A spitting image of his own man, if not for his mother's eyes, and her beard as well for that matter.

Are reminded himself of all the kindness, hospitality and warmth he had seen in the short time he spent in Caido. More than a short lifetime on the banks of the Mälaren had ever shown him. Maybe the passing had been for the better, breaking into a brave new world with people so vastly different from himself, yet all the same.

"I am sure it will all be worth it one day. People like you, Jigano and Roana gives me hope for this place, kindness I've never seen the likeness of in a score and then some years."
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:
VAI
The huntress
"That it is - to break and to shape." Vai nodded in agreement, Are's smile echoed in her own. For all of the man's strange beliefs about the place in which he'd found himself, she quite liked him. And besides which, he was a hunter, and that made him a man after her own heart. Not that she was in much of a state to do much hunting these days. She brightened further as he mentioned names of people she knew - Jigano, in particular, she thought would be a good ally to have in this new world.

"We are all in it together. Why not offer as much help as we can? Never know when you might need it in return." She winked, circling back away from the fire to where she had emerged between the trees. "I'll leave you to your hunting then, Are. If you need anything, I live in a cabin just a short walk from here." Vai pointed in the general direction. "Don't be afraid to drop by, okay?"
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
"Far vel, Vai of the woods, know a cobbler's door's always open to you!" Are said in return just as she again melded with the surrounding trunks and became one with the woods. Leaving behind the soft rustling of underbrush and muffled steps fading away in an instant.

Are sat and basked in the feeling left behind, kindness not even the most bitter cynic could dismiss warmed more than the cheerfully crackling fire. Another person in such stark contrast with the dreary land they broke, he could only shake his head and chuckle at the thought. Are smiled in the direction Vai had disappeared. There was truly something with the people of Caido, a little something that he yet again could thank for allowing him not only to live but to in such a short time prosper.

"One day, I'll repay you." he whispered to the ground itself and stood up to again go check his traps.