if they knew how misery loved me
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
Mateo

On the plus side, not being sucker punched by this particular brother means both that Koa will never know how bad Mateo is at punching (he's a lover, not a fighter, and guilty as sin), and the botanist will not have to nurse some terribly swollen knuckles. Anyway, sex, drugs and bad decisions.

"For shame," Mateo purrs, as if his friend is committing some kind of offence with his sobriety, and he reaches into it's better not to ask, honestly, given his outfit and withdraws a small wax paper parcel. Opening it reveals a few blood red caplets, crafted by the botanist himself, and Mateo takes one and slips it under his tongue to dissolve.

Once Koa has picked his poison and the first flush of euphoria is racing through Mateo's system, he offers the other man a musical laugh for his trouble. "Many, and regularly," he replies regarding who he may be seeing - the Silk Houses are a quiet place if Mateo Taliesin ever takes a night off. "It hardly needs to be a mission. Or would you like to get laid, my friend?"
I'm a scholar and a gentleman
And I don't usually fall when I try to stand
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Koa
Luckily Koa's more brawn than brain, so he doesn't stop to think about where the red pill may have come from, just pops it thoughtlessly into his mouth. And ah, there it is, the wave of euphoria, washing up luxuriously against the bulwarks of his mind. He can already feel the tension of the fight slipping away, pulled out in an ebbing tide of alcohol and drugs. "Beautiful," Koa murmurs appreciatively, his eyes closed as if in prayer. Though not as frequent an indulger as Mateo, the Dragoon has tried enough of Caido's substances to know when a hit is good.

He blinks back at the older boy, rosy color in his cheeks. "Yes, but anyone special?" Koa prods, nudging Mateo playfully with his foot. But his expression changes when the tables turn, teasing grin fading into a wistful expression. "Oh, gods yes," he practically moans, giving Mateo a plaintive look. "But... there's this girl, and... I dunno, I can't stop thinking about her." A lovelorn puppy, he drapes himself onto the bar, head propped in his hand. "But she's not... I mean, I can't just fuck her. I think I really like her, Teo."

Dropping his head into his arms, Koa lets out a moan. "What'm I gonna do?"
it struck me that the two of us could run
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Mateo

"I will take that as a compliment," Mateo says warmly, blowing a kiss at Koa before promptly folding the wax paper and slipping the parcel back wherever it came from. Nudging his friend back as if they're going to start a game of competitive foostie at the bar, the botanist releases an indulgent sigh and rolls his wrist in a way that's distinctly Remi Taliesin. "Everybody is special in their own way, Koa. You really must learn that." Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge to that question.

What he doesn't expect is the sudden switch in the dragoon's demeanour, Mateo all but sitting back on his barstool to avoid the way Koa melts onto the counter. Blue eyes growing wide, he reaches out to drape an arm over the other boy's shoulder, leaning in as if he's about to impart some secret wisdom.

"I think there is a girl at Molly's who has a magic ring that allows her to look like other people. You could fuck her instead?" So helpful.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Koa
Mateo's not-answer earns little more than an unimpressed eyeroll and a stuck-out tongue, Koa being too blissed-out to pursue the line of questioning. It's a difference between them that he's come to accept, even if he won't straight-up acknowledge it: while Mateo seems content to find love in fleeting moments where he can find it, the young Dragoon does, in fact, want more.

But in the meantime, he'll take sex.

Or except no, right now he doesn't even have that.

He leans into Mateo with a mournful sigh, head shaking against the other boy's shoulder. "I don't want someone who looks like her - I want her," he laments, voice muffled by the fact that he's burrowed into his friend's embrace. "Is this what love feels like?" Koa wonders, poking distractedly at the holes in Mateo's netted tights, his voice huffy, almost a whine. "It's terrible."

(It's not. You aren't in love, Koa. But it's cute you think you are.)
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

"Oh, poverino," Mateo laments, squashing Koa close into his embrace and wondering when the smell of booze and just-been-in-a-fight became his friend's brand of cologne. "You have really got it bad." With a long, heady sigh in which the world fizzes into a spray of coloured fireworks for a moment, the botanist squeezes Koa's shoulder and tries to sit up on his bar stool - which is basically just the equivalent of not quite falling off it.

"It is terrible," he agrees dramatically. "What if we go along to Molly's anyway, and you can forget about love and instead just enjoy the night? There will be plenty of time to feel horrible in the morning, no?" It seems reasonable to him, at least. And the workers will probably give better relationship advice than he does, too.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
It's nice to have a friend. Koa doesn't often let himself go; maybe that's why it's so absurdly dramatic when he does. He's practically swooned against Mateo, his fingers curling into the holes in his fishnets like a child with is mother's apron strings. He might be significantly larger than the other boy, but in this moment of heartache the fighter is made small. Puppy love will do that to you, and nothing diminishes a man like misery.

But it's also very hard to stay miserable with snapdragon running through one's veins, and so the boy's bout of melancholia is predictably short-lived. He bounces back up like a spring, the room briefly swimming around him as he lays his palms firmly on the countertop. "You're right, Teo," Koa declares, earning a round of hear hear! from a group of bar patrons who don't know what's going on, but want to be part of something. "The night is young. We're young. And if I've met the girl I'm gonna marry, I should probably have fun while I can." This epiphany is accompanied by a messy, flashy grin that pulls at the cut on his lip - but he's too far gone to care.

"One more round'a shots!" And to Mateo: "Alright Party King, let's see your idea of a good time."
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

Wobbling a bit as Koa pops back up and disturbs his precarious balance on the bar stool, Mateo nonetheless has a delighted, dimpled smile for his friend, following suit in slapping at the counter with his hands. "Hear hear!" He joins in with those who have decided (very kindly) to cheer on his being right, the botanist readily accepting the shots that the other man has ordered for them.

"That is the spirit!" he says, handing Koa his shot and clinking their glasses before he shoots his own back - not that you'd catch Mateo marrying anybody in a million years, mind you. But with the night as young as they are, and with a thousand bad decisions waiting to be made, there's no reason to slow down or even think too hard about what to do next.

"You got it. But remember - it is not my fault if you do not remember the good time tomorrow. It does not mean it was any less good."

~FIN